View Full Version : Interesting method of rat control

GregLaROCHE
06-12-2023, 10:03 AM
Forget about cats. Call the dogs.
https://youtu.be/bjQR8Vm5xtw

contender1
06-12-2023, 10:52 AM
I like it.

I work in animal damage control,,, and this was great!

Recycled bullet
06-12-2023, 12:51 PM
This guy has trained a monitor lizard to go ratting how cool is that

DocSavage
06-12-2023, 05:26 PM
I've been saying for years dogs are better mouser than cats.
Cats catch a mouse then "play" with till its dead,dogs kill them on the spot then in to the next one.
Mike Rowe did a segment on his show "Somebody's Got to Do It".

ShooterAZ
06-12-2023, 05:58 PM
My Lab used to cats mice & rats. He would systematically crunch every bone in their body until he was sure they were dead.

pworley1
06-12-2023, 06:01 PM
Great work.

Texas by God
06-12-2023, 06:22 PM
I’d like to sit in a lawn chair with a .410 for that.
Kill them rats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLAHUT
06-12-2023, 07:12 PM
My old lead dog, a Timberwolf, a house pet, he would feed him self, catching mice. Was fantastic watching him do that. He would jump straight up in the air and come down on a mouse with each of his 4 feet around his mouth. I watched foxes do the same thing with mice and grouse.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-13-2023, 01:47 AM
My friend and I used to shoot rats with 12ga shotguns. The shells were packed with hard sorghum seed that would almost shred a rat out to 25 ft.

https://i.imgur.com/p1ctmV8l.jpg

wilecoyote
06-13-2023, 04:32 AM
parallel to the management of a shooting stand, a friend manages the breeding of beagles and a hunting and pets shop. I've always seen the oldest of his beagles, a female, turn into a ruthless hunter of rats and moles. she can't deal with porcupines, because the owner stops her before turning into a pincushion, but I've never seen her give up with any rodent

poppy42
06-13-2023, 05:46 AM
That’s actually what ferrets were bred for originally before they became popular as pets. Ferrets and rat terriers had a long-standing history of pest control in Europe!

HWooldridge
06-13-2023, 07:43 AM
We had a Jack Russell terrier and a dachshund that would go through the hay bales and clean out all of the rats in short order. Never saw any vermin eating the chicken feed until those two dogs had passed on.

dverna
06-13-2023, 08:02 AM
No way I would reach into a hole bare handed to pull out a rat.

The bleeding hearts would go nuts viewing this.

john.k
06-13-2023, 10:15 PM
When i was a kid ,there would be a visit from the council "Rat Gang".......they had motorbikes and sidecars with terriers a plenty .........in those days ,everyone had chicken coops in the back yard ,and the terriers would go crazy .......there would be rats flying through the air all over the street............the terriers would be shivering with excitement as they were released from their cages in the sidecars .......then ,the work done,a whistle signal would see them all jump back in their cages,and off to the next location..........the council also had motorbikes and sidecars for the elctricity linesmen ........hard to imagine now that motorbikes were used for good ,not the evil we see today.

Wag
06-14-2023, 07:06 AM
Fascinating video.

--Wag--

Rapier
06-14-2023, 08:02 AM
Started shooting early, my job was to shoot rats in the chicken yard in the feeders at night with a miner's headlight, light shined down the barrel, used 22 rat shot in a 510 Remington. Killed rats night after night, from dark, until they stopped coming out. In the morning and during the day, shot English sparrows coming into the chicken feeders.
All those are major problems with "range" birds. Had to watch for bobcats and coons.

porthos
06-15-2023, 07:09 PM
i think that it is a little, no , a lot stupid to not be wearing heavy gloves

Recycled bullet
06-16-2023, 10:11 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOh8uQ5Tg0

Recycled bullet
06-16-2023, 10:14 PM
This guy has an army of animals

fiberoptik
06-17-2023, 12:13 AM
I have what I think is the best way of dealing with rats [emoji232]. Take a plastic barrel and notch the top on both sides. Cut a dowel a little longer to go across it. Shove a pop can into it in the middle and smear peanut butter on it. Place a board as a ramp up to the dowel.
Now.…
Rats run up, want pb, cross on to dowel, fall in barrel. Once they start to build up in #s, they get hungry. Soon begin to eat each other. When you get down to 1 rat, release him! You now have a trained rat that will hunt down & eat his own for you!
[emoji41]

MaryB
06-17-2023, 12:33 PM
I have what I think is the best way of dealing with rats [emoji232]. Take a plastic barrel and notch the top on both sides. Cut a dowel a little longer to go across it. Shove a pop can into it in the middle and smear peanut butter on it. Place a board as a ramp up to the dowel.
Now.…
Rats run up, want pb, cross on to dowel, fall in barrel. Once they start to build up in #s, they get hungry. Soon begin to eat each other. When you get down to 1 rat, release him! You now have a trained rat that will hunt down & eat his own for you!
[emoji41]

Easier to add water, they swim until they drown... add a layer of oil and it is quicker

Recycled bullet
06-17-2023, 12:38 PM
I fill the bucket with cheap Automotive coolant if I'm not going to be able to check it daily it helps to control the smell and it won't freeze at night.

fiberoptik
06-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Isn’t training a rat to hunt down rats better than just drowning them?

Recycled bullet
06-17-2023, 02:45 PM
Isn’t training a rat to hunt down rats better than just drowning them?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI know that there is differences between mice and rats.

I had a serious problem with mice getting inside my toolbox and peeing and pooing and bringing trash all over my paperwork, that made me so unbelievably mad. I don't know how they were getting in I don't care how they were getting in it just needed to stop. I killed over 100 mice in 20 days using an old mud bucket, a ramp made out of a thin piece of wood taped to the bucket and the floor, a coat hanger speared through a mountain dew can with peanut butter smeared on it, suspended above 4 inches of coolant or water.

The only way I have ever been successfully to kill rats in any decent numbers with the green pellets. Other than that I have killed two rats with a shovel. Killed several mice with the blowgun. Sending a dart through their head may as well shut off the fuse box. The best part is it pins them to the floor you just remove the whole thing as an assembly with the pliers.

I feel that this guy is doing a good deed the first time I saw that guy sending minks, rat terriers, monitor lizards, pitbulls etc after the vermin.

I had no idea there was so many mice under a chicken coop oh my gosh I'd want a full auto belt fed to deal with all them.

HARLOWPARKENFARKER
06-17-2023, 04:34 PM
Terriers of all types were bred to catch and kill mice and rats long, long ago. One breed was called a, "Rat Terrier."

barnetmill
06-17-2023, 05:36 PM
What amazes me is that the terrier do not immediately go after the mink. but apparently they do not.
Down town london used to have a special block to devoted to animal sports.

Tiny the Wonder was an English Toy Terrier (Black & Tan) famous in the City of London in the mid-19th century for being able to kill 200 rats in an hour in the city's rat-baiting pits.[2][3] At the time, the world record for killing 100 rats was 5 minutes, 30 seconds, held by a bull and terrier named Billy.[4
Tiny below
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/Tiny123.jpg/1024px-Tiny123.jpg

GregLaROCHE
06-18-2023, 02:59 AM
We had a rat problem and tried all sorts of things including more cats. Nothing worked until I started using poison. After a few weeks, no more sign of them. It’s been four years now, but I still keep poison in cracks and corners for any that might happen by.

Recycled bullet
06-24-2023, 05:47 PM
It's really too bad that by the time this thread dies there will be many more generations of mice and rats born into life.

GregLaROCHE
06-25-2023, 04:24 AM
Rats and mice have lived in the shadows of humans for thousands upon thousands of years. I don’t think it’s going to change any time soon.

Recycled bullet
06-25-2023, 10:29 AM
It's a constant struggle. I'm will set up the bucket trap again this summer at the shop. I'm beginning to find mouse poop on top of the toolbox again and no there is no food available there....

jonp
07-01-2023, 04:30 AM
No way I would reach into a hole bare handed to pull out a rat.

The bleeding hearts would go nuts viewing this.

Yeah, I found that to be...foolhardy? I'd never do it.

How interesting. Anyone catch where this was?

fiberoptik
07-02-2023, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I found that to be...foolhardy? I'd never do it.

How interesting. Anyone catch where this was?

Sounds like a great way to get lots of antibiotics jammed into you. And maybe Rabies & Tetanus vaccines!