PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

shooting on a shoestring
06-11-2023, 05:08 PM
Dad was an avid shooter and did a good bit of hunting.

When I was a kid I remember there were 3 instances of old guys on their way out gifting their pet hunting guns to Dad. In 2 of the instances the guys had grown sons, but still wanted Dad to have their good gun.

I remember one old Cowboy said “I’ve seen how you are. I’d appreciate it if you’d let this one run with your herd. I know you’ll look after it”.

The stories were all the same. No one in the old guy’s family cared about hunting or shooting and the old guy didn’t want to die knowing his pet gun was going to waste. So they gave them to Dad.

In Dad’s old guy days I noticed that if I asked about a certain piece on the phone or mentioned seeing one like it, the next time he came to my house to visit and shoot he’d have that piece with him. In the evening after shooting we’d be in my shop and he’d be telling me stories while I cleaned our guns. When he ‘d start gathering up to go he’d leave that piece and say something like “It shot a tighter group for you, I think it likes you better” or “no use in putting traveling wear on that one” or “I used to have one like that, good gun”. And I’d grin and hug him.

When his end was just around the corner he asked me to come see him. After going over how he wanted his business handled he took me out to his gun room and asked me if there was anything I didn’t want and told me there was no obligation to take any of it. In my acceptance speech I mentioned he might consider leaving a certain gun to a certain grandson who I knew was close to Dad. He looked me in the eye and said “I’ve thought about this longer and harder than you have. I love the boy but I wouldn’t trust him to bring it in out of the rain. If anyone wants something just because I owned it, give them a pair of my socks. I’ve had the opportunity to give it to them and didn’t. What you do with your guns is your business.” And the conversation was over and I had a moving job to do.

How about you? What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

Hannibal
06-11-2023, 05:17 PM
I don't give it much thought. Right now I can't think of anyone who would appreciate them. If that changes I'll gift them to someone. If not someone else can figure it out after I'm gone. After all, I never bought any of them to make anyone else happy anyway.

But I'm definitely not the sentimental type when it comes to inanimate objects.

Bazoo
06-11-2023, 05:29 PM
I am sentimental. I have a 3 year old son, that wants to be like daddy. So I think he'll get an appreciate for guns. We love doing stuff together, including walking in the woods and shooting. He likes to watch me shoot clays. He likes to look at the pictures of guns in gun mags and books I read.

Winger Ed.
06-11-2023, 05:49 PM
I don't hunt anymore, and don't get to the range as much as I used to.
I've been selling off and 'placing' guns for the last several years.
I'm down to the few I actually shoot when I can get out. When I'm gone, some will be given to heirs, some will be sold.

My kids aren't shooters, and I have almost no contact with them.
They think they are going to inherit a big weapons collection someday........
Antiques, Colts, JM Marlins & commemorative Winchesters, a couple of single shots in .50BMG, high end target pistols, etc.
They are in for a big surprise.

LeonardC
06-11-2023, 05:54 PM
I am a bit sentimental with a many of my guns.

I tried to pass some of the "family" guns to my Daughter and Grandson years ago. I let them pick out what they wanted from a selection, and we went out to the range to shot them as best we could. Crap weather, getting dark before we got started, step-relatives in the way, etc. Several guns were selected, and I told them I'd pay for FFL fees and shipping on my end; they had to let me know of what FFL they wanted to deal with on their end and pay for all fees there. Never happened even with several reminders.

The Wife has stated she would like her guns to go to certain family members. I will do my best to fill her wishes. With the laws and bans it can get complicated!

I'm thinking of leaving my guns to my local gun club. Make sure the "good old boys" don't get them, but maybe some set aside for training and match shooting and the rest sold off with the funds going to help expand and improve the ranges. Still thinking through the details. If I go first the Wife will have full control over all the property and I wish her to do what she feels is best for her.

With the prices of components going up I may have to liquidate some guns just so I can keep shooting!

dverna
06-11-2023, 06:47 PM
I have been and continue to downsize. No one in my family wants them; and the one son who would want some of them is not permitted to have a gun in house because his wife is a liberal fool.

I may have a step-grandkid or two that would want a few of them but they are not old enough yet to cross that bridge.

It bothers me a bit, but it is what it is. May as well cash out what I do not want and use hte money for other things.

Bazoo
06-11-2023, 06:47 PM
At nearly 40, I hope I have 40-50 more years with my favorite Winchesters and sixshooters. Not to mention the ones I've yet to acquire.

Half Dog
06-11-2023, 07:01 PM
My momma and daddy collected Finten glass. I don’t want it like they wanted it but they can’t take it with them. I’m not a salesman so what I don’t want will probably get donated.

huntinlever
06-11-2023, 07:21 PM
They go to my son, and hopefully his kids will carry it on. My son has his great-grandpa's 1900's 38-55, and I hope someday another of our line will still be honoring and using them as he has.

Hick
06-11-2023, 07:51 PM
With three grown children who shoot regularly and 8 grandkids who shoot every chance they get, the plan is to shoot until I can't then let them sort it out-- no worries about the guns being taken care of properly.

15meter
06-11-2023, 08:18 PM
The daughter will get her pick of what she wants over and above the 30 carbine that is hers and both her grandfather's 10-22 and Winchester Model 74. Then she is to open the gun safe to her 4 cousins to chose what ever that they want along with all the associated ammo/reloading stuff that they want. If I last long enough the great nephews and great niece will get included in the distribution if they are old enough and interested.

The nephews and their kids will also get to pick through all my tools and iceboats. And there is a bunch of tools, 8 Kennedy toolboxes and 9 "ANSI E" drawing cabinets 34" x 44", 4 and 5 drawer cabinets, filled. There is a silly amount of mechanic's and wood working tools plus all the stationary power tools.

After that, it's sell what's left and have fun with the cash.

MT Gianni
06-11-2023, 09:18 PM
I hope to downsize before the hard decisions come. I have some relatives who might get some. Most will be sold.

Low Budget Shooter
06-11-2023, 09:27 PM
I'm 53, and hadn't thought about this until recently. I am thankful to God that I have four grown sons, and four old out-of-production S&W revolvers that they grew up shooting. I know the sons and the guns well enough to know which son gets which gun. One is a five-screw K22 from my dad, who was a lefty. The lefty son gets that one, along with the lefty holster dad had it in.

trails4u
06-11-2023, 11:00 PM
Reminds me of my sweet, sweet loving daughter.... 'Hey daddy, when you don't need this one anymore, can I have it?' That in reference to the first 1911 she ever shot, when she was about 13yo. Between her and her two older brothers, both Navy men and enthusiasts themselves....I'm not worried about the future 'provenance' of mine. I have told them all that evil dad will leave in his will a trivia game to determine which one of them gets each piece.... Better study up on late/post Civil War single shots, there, youngins!!! :P

gc45
06-11-2023, 11:52 PM
My Sons are into race cars and have no interest in my guns so, my closest friend who is very knowledgeable about guns will be selling them for my Wife. I have kept an accurate spreadsheet on values, serial numbers, description, model numbers etc. that he and my Wife will have access to..There are a few guns my Sons will be getting though, modern pistols and wheel guns I shoot and they have shot as well.

alamogunr
06-11-2023, 11:59 PM
Strange this thread showed up now. My state is being railroaded by the governor to pass a "Red Flag Law". One of the provisions he wants in it is that ALL transfers go thru a dealer. I'm hopeful that it won't pass but just in case I'm already talking to my two sons about how we go about making the transfers. I'll probably give the younger son my safe since all he has now is a "Stackon". He will get all the milsurps with the exception of the .308 Garand. The older son is the hunter, so he will have his choice of the rifles. They can negotiate for the handguns. I never was much of a shotgunner so I don't care who get it. I'm making no demands as to what they do with any of the guns. If they decide to sell some, so be it.

For now I'm keeping a few since I'm not on my last legs yet, although at 80, I'm not quite as active as I once was. I lost my wife(their mother) about 3 months ago. Got me to thinking while I was sitting around grieving and feeling sorry for myself that I needed to do something to make their job easier when I pass on.

One thing I've been doing is selling some of my stash of lead. I've still got over a ton but I'm not thru either. Neither of them is a caster.

I'm sure that we all have more "stuff" than guns. In my case it is books. I've got a ton. Many would be recognized by member here. Many are out of print and on the used book sites are valuable. Some may get dumped in a dumpster since I'm too ornery to "give" them away. Meantime, I'll try to sell most of them.

gnappi
06-12-2023, 12:48 AM
I don't give it much thought. Right now I can't think of anyone who would appreciate them. If that changes I'll gift them to someone. If not someone else can figure it out after I'm gone. After all, I never bought any of them to make anyone else happy anyway.

But I'm definitely not the sentimental type when it comes to inanimate objects.

They're all pretty much my feelings.

kopcicle
06-12-2023, 01:57 AM
Those that receive my firearms will receive them for two reasons.
I know they will be appreciated.
They will be the only ones that know where they are.

Lloyd Smale
06-12-2023, 04:29 AM
let my wife do what she wants with them. ill be dead and wont know or care. ive given all my nephews guns already. same with the son. step sons are liberals and would probably pee themselves if they knew one of those dangerous things were in the house. guns that were dads or grandpas have already been given to family members.

GhostHawk
06-12-2023, 06:00 AM
I have a grandson who has health issues and I'm not sure he will ever mature to the point where he could be educated enough to be safe with a gun.

I have higher hopes for my granddaughter. But she needs a bit of time yet.

My daughter has very little interest. Although she truly shocked me when she wanted a pistol for home defense.
I tried hard to get her to think shotgun but no dice. So I let her talk me out of a gun her grandfather bought for me at a pawn shop in SD.
Heritage rough rider convertable .22lr .22mag.

I found I missed it so I replaced it with a better model that had adjustable sights.

Mostly I have ignored the question.
I am not ready to give up my guns and I know no one who deserves even one much less the whole bunch.
I guess I'm putting my head in the sand and ignoring the problem.

Wag
06-12-2023, 07:04 AM
I don't have any kids and my siblings and I don't speak any more. I thought about leaving guns to my buddies but they're the same age I am and likely to kick off soon after or before me.

I guess just sell 'em all and donate the cash to some charity or other.

--Wag--

armoredman
06-12-2023, 07:53 AM
My boy will take what he wants, the wife already as what she wants, so I assume they will either sell them or she'll just let them gather dust in the safe until she goes. After THAT, if my boy doesn't take what's left, they will be sold, since nobody else in the family is legally eligible. I will be gone and won't give a rat's patoot, of course.

schutzen-jager
06-12-2023, 08:14 AM
78 now + in process of doing it now - in my will left only grandson what he asked for, wife + daughters can keep what they want - selling majority of vast horde accumulated over years [ do not want estate selling them for $1.00 at a garage sale ] major project for me, apx. 30 gone in past year + many more to go - state of resident makes sales extremely difficult for individuals - selling most at out of state dealers, collectors, + auctions - finding it hard to part with some things that have owned + used for over 6 decades, but has to be done for benefit of heirs -

MrWolf
06-12-2023, 08:44 AM
78 now + in process of doing it now - in my will left only grandson what he asked for, wife + daughters can keep what they want - selling majority of vast horde accumulated over years [ do not want estate selling them for $1.00 at a garage sale ] major project for me, apx. 30 gone in past year + many more to go - state of resident makes sales extremely difficult for individuals - selling most at out of state dealers, collectors, + auctions - finding it hard to part with some things that have owned + used for over 6 decades, but has to be done for benefit of heirs -

I'm 63 now and moved from there in January, 2017 and my son still lives there. My daughter has no use for guns and just considers them Daddy's hobby. My son and I did trap shoot in South Jersey and did very well. For about three years till he got out of high school and my back/neck got worse. I plan on leaving everything to both of them, they can figure it out between them. I have 81 acres out here and a spot or two that could support a house. I doubt my daughter would ever live here (she is a city girl in Philly working as a P.A.) but keep hoping my son will see the light. Got divorced which is why I finally moved and found my paradise. My gf knows I am not going the marriage route again (unless really needed for health insurance- I and a spouse, are covered for life) and my gf is covered in my will with having a place to live rent free assuming we are still together then. With my leaving everything, they are getting it for free so a little work won't hurt them plus memories will be associated with some things. I don't want this place sold (property taxes are less than $1,200 a year) so will probably make some kind of provision so they will always have a place to go to.
Ron

pworley1
06-12-2023, 08:53 AM
I have a lot more years behind me than I have in front of me now. I only have one son and he is a shooter / hunter. He knows that he will get everything, but I did give him a short list of shooting friends and asked that he let each one come by and pick a gun when I am gone.

elk hunter
06-12-2023, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately there is no perfect solution. We are working on that problem with an attorney. We're looking at doing two trusts. One for the general stuff and a separate one for the guns and maybe the shop equipment. All five of the kids will be in both trust's so they will be co-owners with us. We have been telling the kids to tell us if they want something of ours and if they are the only one that is interested in that item it will be theirs. So far no one has said anything about wanting a gun. With five kids and fifteen grandkids someone is bound to be disappointed. The attorney has suggested a auction where each child and grandchild is given X number of points and they can use the points to bid on items that they want. How they dispose of the rest of the stuff is up to them. The house is the big ticket item and I think we will say it has to sold and the money divided between the five kids. If one of the kids wants it they can use their twenty percent as a down payment and buy the other ones out. Again, there is no perfect solution. Wish there was.

OS OK
06-12-2023, 09:16 AM
It is unusual that I see a thread like this, I had to think about whether or not I would post on this thread. I have been keeping my personal situation quiet and among very close friends, but...in this instant information age...kept secrets seem to get out and before you know it there is a stream of family, neighbors and close friends inquiring about what they can do to help out here at the ranch. I am humbled and blessed with their reactions. I am in the process of fighting a stage 4 cancer with Chemo-Imuno therapy. It is going very well but the outcome has not yet been determined. Either way it turns out I am good to go, I have been blessed with a wonderful life full of the finest people on Earth and my bucket list has been empty for a decade or longer. I have been there and done that with everything I ever dreamed of as a kid.

I've been thinning the herd for several years now. Starting with my 2 sons and daughter. Each have been given one my favorite 1911's already so I can see them using them and enjoying themselves before I check out. In my family there is no lack of appreciation for firearms.
My grandkids seem to gravitate to different pistols and rifles and then when their time came, they learned on them here at my range...those will go to them, it's the first firearm they ever operated and like us when we started as kids we wanted those old single shots and revolvers we learned on.

There are specific weapons I use currently but I want those left to others in and out of the immediate family, the wife and I have talked about that and if I go before she does she will distribute them according to my wishes. There is a list in the safe of who gets what.
The remaining weapons and ammunition are up for grabs...all my kids and grandkids shoot so they will be gobbled up quick, I'm sure. That makes me happy.

My reloading shop is extensive...all three of my kids have been taught to reload when they were children, I would imagine they will figure something out as there is more than enough for each one to have a complete setup. They can work that out for themselves, just last month I went over that with them.

Then there is the shop...I am outfitted extensively for wood & metal fabrication...lots of tools, many machines...the kids can take'em or sell'em, I don't care. Weapons are one thing, everything else is just stuff.

I thought about this a long time ago and decided that I'd put whatever I can in various peoples hands before I go...I want to see the smiles on their faces.
No doubt in my mind that there are others here in this Cast'Boolits Family that are faced with the same situation...I thought that if I should share how I am handling things it might influence one of you to to get started making your decisions now instead of waiting until the end...I don't know, collectively, we all are different animals.

Baltimoreed
06-12-2023, 09:16 AM
Hopefully I will get my place built [a 30x42’ quonset hut and 27’ airstream] and get moved to the property where my son is building his home. We can then set up a decent steel range and do some shooting and maybe reloading together. He will get my stuff but I have been paring down a few here and there and not actively looking for any more toys. Have an ‘adult’ grandson that I wouldn’t give a capgun to. A lot to do yet.

KenH
06-12-2023, 09:34 AM
" There is a list in the safe of who gets what."
Is that list legally binding? Perhaps it's also listed in your will?

I have made a point to list in my will who gets what.

charlie b
06-12-2023, 09:57 AM
As long as there are no arguments a 'list in the safe' works fine. If there is a dispute, a statement in the will is the best way to go.

None of my kids want the guns nor do they care about the difficulty of selling them. I've downsized to just the guns I use. Those really have no sentimental value so if it comes to it, the police can dispose of them.

Harter66
06-12-2023, 11:16 AM
I have 4 kids .
My oldest son doesn't have the desire to have any of mine , when quizzed not long ago his only interest was in the BPS . It still locks up tight and all it's a 26" special steel field ......it needs parts and has been rode hard a lot .......

The oldest girl said asked if there was something she needed know . Then dibbs the heirloom to me guns oddly enough no mention of Dad's 25-06'_

The youngest girl , the artist wants the BP stuff that's easy enough.

The youngest boy wants familiarity so MSR and the BHP .

Now the twist I bought them each , or with the intentions , a big game rifle , shotgun , side arm and a rimfire resembling the big game rifle . Through time that they haven't claimed their collection or built they're own , only my oldest daughter has claimed hers . So I'm sitting on a dozen that I don't know if they will ever be claimed .

I have most of Dad's , half of Moms , and a current progression of life medical history that gives me 10-12 yr to decide on the final dispositions . I have 12 grands and step grands it's almost certain that at least one will delvelop some sentimental attachment to me or the clan . I have 3 that belonged to their GG Grands , I don't really know how it will unfold . I feel fairly certain there won't be a lot of fighting over the assets from my kids or the grands . The big tickets will likely be sold off . I have books for each arm that details the history as far as it's known to me and short stories of particular days of glory and the desired progression of passing and why where appropriate. If they find that they don't want any of that the next guy will have a glimpse of "if it could tell us it's stories" .

shooting on a shoestring
06-12-2023, 12:24 PM
I appreciate the contributions to this thread.
There’s an abundance of food for thought here.

JSnover
06-12-2023, 12:26 PM
Mine will go to a friend of mine. He's about 25 years younger than me but I know he'll appreciate their purpose and value.

JimB..
06-12-2023, 12:28 PM
As long as there are no arguments a 'list in the safe' works fine. If there is a dispute, a statement in the will is the best way to go.

None of my kids want the guns nor do they care about the difficulty of selling them. I've downsized to just the guns I use. Those really have no sentimental value so if it comes to it, the police can dispose of them.

I’ve wondered about writing letters notifying folks that I’ve given them this or that. Have the letters notarized, and from then on I’m just be storing stuff for them. Not sure if it’s strictly legal, but I think it’d stop family disagreements.

hoodat
06-12-2023, 12:52 PM
From the sound of this thread, I'd say that the future of shooting sports and gun ownership in this country is in trouble.:cry:

Sounds to me like most of us should spend some serious time to assure that our beloved guns will end up in a freedom loving home where they will be beloved by their new owner -- even if it isn't a member of our family. jd

Scrounge
06-12-2023, 12:53 PM
Dad was an avid shooter and did a good bit of hunting.

When I was a kid I remember there were 3 instances of old guys on their way out gifting their pet hunting guns to Dad. In 2 of the instances the guys had grown sons, but still wanted Dad to have their good gun.

I remember one old Cowboy said “I’ve seen how you are. I’d appreciate it if you’d let this one run with your herd. I know you’ll look after it”.

The stories were all the same. No one in the old guy’s family cared about hunting or shooting and the old guy didn’t want to die knowing his pet gun was going to waste. So they gave them to Dad.

In Dad’s old guy days I noticed that if I asked about a certain piece on the phone or mentioned seeing one like it, the next time he came to my house to visit and shoot he’d have that piece with him. In the evening after shooting we’d be in my shop and he’d be telling me stories while I cleaned our guns. When he ‘d start gathering up to go he’d leave that piece and say something like “It shot a tighter group for you, I think it likes you better” or “no use in putting traveling wear on that one” or “I used to have one like that, good gun”. And I’d grin and hug him.

When his end was just around the corner he asked me to come see him. After going over how he wanted his business handled he took me out to his gun room and asked me if there was anything I didn’t want and told me there was no obligation to take any of it. In my acceptance speech I mentioned he might consider leaving a certain gun to a certain grandson who I knew was close to Dad. He looked me in the eye and said “I’ve thought about this longer and harder than you have. I love the boy but I wouldn’t trust him to bring it in out of the rain. If anyone wants something just because I owned it, give them a pair of my socks. I’ve had the opportunity to give it to them and didn’t. What you do with your guns is your business.” And the conversation was over and I had a moving job to do.

How about you? What are you going to do with your guns when you’re done?

My kids are not much interested, so I've got my will passing them to my younger brother, who makes me look "uninterested" in guns. ;) He's also my executor, so he can see that it gets done.

shooting on a shoestring
06-12-2023, 01:15 PM
Related story of the first time I ever got to fire a 41 Magnum.

I was at a public range outside of Austin a few decades back running loads over my 3 screen Oehler 35P chronograph. A middle aged dad and teenaged son walked up and awkwardly watched me for a few minutes. The dad announced I was a gun expert and he wanted me to help him with his gun.

I was seeing red flags waving but I was also curious as to what was in the mahogany box he was carrying. He plopped the previously unscratched presentation case down on the shooting station next to mine, flipped the top open and there was a gleaming deep blued N-Frame, pinned and recessed, 3-T’d 8 & 3/8” barreled pristine revolver without a turn line. As the teenager tossed the single box of 1970’s 41 Magnum Remington ammunition on the table, the dad explained he had just inherited the old gun and he didn’t know if it was safe to shoot.

I told him it appeared un-fired and as such was worth more money than if they shot it. He explained they had driven all the way out from Austin and they were there to shoot it. So I gingerly picked up the beautiful piece, examined it, checked the bore for restrictions, checked the caliber designation and confirmed it was 41 Magnum matching the ammunition and told them yes it appeared safe to shoot. Again, worth more money not shot. The dad informed me it was a free gun to him he didn’t care. They were there to shoot it.

At which point the dad asked if I would fire the gun first so they could watch. Third time, worth more not shot. Same reply, it didn’t matter. Ok. I loaded, thumbed back the hammer and landed a shot on the berm next to a half a clay bird. Next shot shattered the half of clay bird and subsequent shots shattered some of the pieces. Ejected the empties and tried to hand the gun to the dad. He waved it off saying that was too much recoil for him.

So I deposited the grand revolver back in its beautiful box. He thanked me and asked if I could recommend a gun shop that would buy it. I gave him a couple of names regretting that I didn’t have enough cash on me to make an offer. They chucked the box into the backseat of their Civic and headed towards Austin.

I sat for a few minutes thinking about the incident. If there was a sin committed, it was the guy that bequeathed a firearm to an unknowing, uncaring, unappreciative heir. I’ll guess the old dead guy bequeathed assuming or hoping the heir was a better man than was reality. I learned from his mistake….and got my first taste of 41 Magnum!

376Steyr
06-12-2023, 01:15 PM
I shall sell enough to purchase a longship, which I shall keep beached at the fjord. When I pass soon after, with a horn of ale in one hand and a comely serving wench in the other, the warriors shall carry my body to the longship and will pile my remaining weapons about me. Then they will tow the longship to the center of the fjord and set it afire. The parrots shall pine for me.

snowwolfe
06-12-2023, 01:27 PM
I shall sell enough to purchase a longship, which I shall keep beached at the fjord. When I pass soon after, with a horn of ale in one hand and a comely serving wench in the other, the warriors shall carry my body to the longship and will pile my remaining weapons about me. Then they will tow the longship to the center of the fjord and set it afire. The parrots shall pine for me.

You need to stop drinking or quit hittin the pipe, lol.

Iron369
06-12-2023, 01:28 PM
The only thing I’m concerned about is the nfa items I have in a trust. Nobody else in my family know anything about firearms and especially nfa items that they might get in a situation in the eventual future. Anything else, I don’t care what happens to it. It won’t be mine at that point.

frkelly74
06-12-2023, 02:59 PM
My Wife asked me this very question not long ago. I hemmed and hawed a little with no real answer, and she said " So you're going to leave me a mess to deal with? ". However I am expressly prohibited from checking out first before she does. So I guess it's moot. I have a son who has broken off contact with us, a daughter who has a husband who recently got interested in owning guns and shooting them, not reloading though. Unfortunately he has come down with a nasty cancer that in all likelihood will get the better of him fairly soon. They have some kids and the older son has once expressed an interest in seeing how ammo is put together. I have not made any motion toward doing that and will wait till he shows some interest. We have an adopted son and daughter who are not afraid to shoot up my ammo. The son likes my Highpoint 995 and can make empties very efficiently. He also has a Ruger Bearcat, a High Standard 20 Ga that was my fatherinlaws that has not been shot in 40 years, and a Chinese m54 which he likes because of the folding bayonet. The daughter has her own Taurus G2C and her carry permit, She also has the 22 Crickett with the pink stock that we used to fend off hoards of balloons when they were coming to over run our position. Her husband has his own collection but seems to think the ammo I make is somehow inferior to factory stuff, He gives me his brass so I guess that's something. He did appreciate the 380 ammo when there wasn't any on any shelves though. I do recognize the need to get some organization established to prevent the leaving of a Mess for posterity. Perhaps it is time to get busy.

Tall
06-12-2023, 08:24 PM
I want to make my estate sale interesting and long. My stuff will stay with me until I am gone.

Ed K
06-12-2023, 09:30 PM
No interest from family or close friends so over the past year I have been parting with everything that is not getting used . I could probably live quite well with a number in the single digits. Yeah, the excess was fun for a few decades but I don't care to leave it for anyone else to have to deal with. Just did a job for a guy that had 300-400 pieces; many unfired Pythons, Colt SAA, some NFA stuff. Plans to leave the collection as is late into life and possibly for his widow to deal with. Doesn't seem smart to me. Who knows how hard this stuff could become to move in 5-10 years?

justindad
06-12-2023, 09:45 PM
<snip>
They have some kids and the older son has once expressed an interest in seeing how ammo is put together. I have not made any motion toward doing that and will wait till he shows some interest.
Make the move. He might not want to impose upon you.

MT Gianni
06-13-2023, 01:07 AM
Strange this thread showed up now.

I'm sure that we all have more "stuff" than guns. In my case it is books. I've got a ton. Many would be recognized by member here. Many are out of print and on the used book sites are valuable. Some may get dumped in a dumpster since I'm too ornery to "give" them away. Meantime, I'll try to sell most of them.

I recently decided to take some books to the gun show. I had many that were highly valued over the years. I checked Amazon for values and found that $40 and $50 books were now reprinted or selling for $7.99. I put them on the table as $8 each or 3 for $20 and I think I sold 6 of them. The number of the population that gets their information in print is few and aging rapidly.

Divil
06-13-2023, 01:38 AM
My Sons are 10 and 8. I am only 49. I hope I don’t have to make that decision for a long time. That said, I think both have some degree of interest in firearms so hopefully most of mine will stay in the family.

Winger Ed.
06-13-2023, 02:14 AM
My Sons are 10 and 8. I am only 49.

It's depressing to do,,,, but you might seriously think about estate planning now.
If ya need some encouragement-- walk through a cemetery and look at the dates.
There's a whole bunch folks in there that died WAY before their time.

reloader X
06-13-2023, 02:44 AM
I'm selling what I can which is a challenge here due to a no private sales law. all of my gun stuff im leaving to my nephew. my own kids are libtards who think im a racist boomer. But here is the catch..if you die alone the cops will ransack the house & take all guns & ammo..not to mention what else they get their mitts on. and all in the name of safety. my wife is still alive but if she goes first im giving my **** to the nephew at warp speed. I know I wont know about it when im dead, but i know about it now & it bugs me.

MrWolf
06-13-2023, 07:38 AM
I'm selling what I can which is a challenge here due to a no private sales law. all of my gun stuff im leaving to my nephew. my own kids are libtards who think im a racist boomer. But here is the catch..if you die alone the cops will ransack the house & take all guns & ammo..not to mention what else they get their mitts on. and all in the name of safety. my wife is still alive but if she goes first im giving my **** to the nephew at warp speed. I know I wont know about it when im dead, but i know about it now & it bugs me.

Make a secure, hidden space and only let a few folks know about it. Nothing illegal about that.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-13-2023, 12:00 PM
Tough subject-- hard to give a good answer. My experience, I had a very large collection. I thought about getting rid of most of it as far back as 10 years ago, but found the project daunting as it is about 84 miles to the nearest UPS and Fed-Ex hubs where they insist that you take firearms to ship them. If I listed them on Gunbroker and sold them individually, one here one there, it would involve many trips. Also, if you've ever looked into it, the packing problem is huge. Where do you find boxes of suitable strength and size to ship rifles/shotguns? Check out the price that Brownell's wants for a package of a few new boxes.
An alternative would be to ship them in the cheapie hard cases that most of them are stored in, but that's advertising to larcenous persons that "here's a gun". So I did nothing.

Then, about 2 years ago my water well went dry in the middle of the summer, due to a spell of light winters. The ground water is dependent on snow melt from the mountains, and it became a regional problem with over 400 dry wells in this and the adjoining county. Hauling in water, lacking a flush toilet, infrequent showers taken at a motel, etc. was a real "life experience" I can tell you, and not one to be willingly repeated. Happily, I found about a firearms auction company that will come to your home, catalog and photograph your guns, haul them away to the online auction house, sell them on Gunbroker, ship them, and send you a check. It was certainly an answer to a prayer, and I shipped out roughly 200 of them. I tried to confine the sales to those that I had duplicates (sometimes 4 or 5) of, and those which I had decided I never liked that much anyway.
The proceeds were far more than was needed for a productive new well. So, in a way, at that point, "two birds with one stone" as the saying goes.

Wishing to be objective and address this question with honesty, the online auction experience was not entirely satisfactory. I had a very large collection of Krag rifles, big pile of Mosin-Nagant rifles, bigger pile of Turk Mausers, and duplicates of some like Swedish Mausers and Lee Enfields. When the field agent picked up the rifles (and handguns) we talked about how the transaction was to take place and I was assured that all the specimens of any one kind would not be put on the same auction event so as to avoid competing with myself. Later, while waiting for a couple of weeks for my auction to come up on Gunbroker I communicated via e-mail with their office manager and expressed the same concern, and was reassured that it would not happen. It happened, and I lost quite a bit of potential money as they dumped them all onto the same auction. Some buyers got some really great bargains. Naturally I remonstrated with the auction company and their solution was to offer me a reduction in their fee from 10% to 8%, and to send me a check for the difference. The check was in the amount of several hundred dollars, but the loss several thousand dollars. Still, I was happy to get that, as legal action would have cost more than I would have recovered, lawyers being quite expensive and the loss probably being around $6,000 or so. There is that to consider--practicality. Of course they promised that it would never happen again, but.......? So to date, I have sent out no more firearms to auction. However, I still know of no other practical way to dispose of the remainder, which is now still 2/3rds of a large collection, and being a genuine "gun magnet" more have come my way. I have decided to dispose of many more, will use the auction, but will develop a strategy on which ones to send out when, and in what quantity.

Like some here, there are those firearms that I just can not dispose of, and which will be in my estate. Some have memories that come to mind whenever I examine them. My first .22 rifle, my first pistol, a memorable event or occasion in which this or that gun was involved. There is just no avoiding this "remainder" problem that I can discern. Although at present I enjoy relatively good health for an 80 year old guy, there were a couple of times in recent years when I fell very ill (once was advanced Lyme Disease) and I can tell you that I learned that under those circumstances you lose interest in all things, guns included. But with improved health the enjoyment rapidly returned; the point being that when you're near the end or at the end it just really doesn't matter if you kept them or not, because you just don't care any longer. I have sort of come to the opinion that the guns that you really want to keep are yours to enjoy right up to the end, and thereafter you either won't know or won't care. As for the others, you can turn them all into money and leave that for your heirs, something I'm sure they'll be interested in, but whether or not they're individually deserving of that enjoyment is strictly your opinion and your call.

This got pretty long, and I hope there is something in it for those concerned with the problem. Guns are (1) a source of great enjoyment to those for whom it has been a passion, hobby, or source of income, and (2) guns are another form of wealth, desirable items for recreational and self-defense purposes. (3) Life is temporary, and you can't take them with you. But they're yours to own and enjoy while you're still here.

DG

Electrod47
06-13-2023, 01:30 PM
Quoting DG "This got pretty long, and I hope there is something in it for those concerned with the problem. Guns are (1) a source of great enjoyment to those for whom it has been a passion, hobby, or source of income, and (2) guns are another form of wealth, desirable items for recreational and self-defense purposes. (3) Life is temporary, and you can't take them with you. But they're yours to own and enjoy while you're still here."

DG

I like (3) the best..Thanks for your insight, I'm 76. Feeling great, so far so good.

Wag
06-14-2023, 07:11 AM
Excellent post, DG.

My biggest concern is that I'll kick the bucket and my wife will have to deal with the guns. She's not exactly knowledgeable and I fear that some dirtbag will rip her off.

--Wag--

wilecoyote
06-14-2023, 07:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0hg4_JH0I
'nuff said:D

BamaNapper
06-14-2023, 01:47 PM
None of our kids are even remotely interested in shooting, so it'll be up to me to get rid of the guns. When the topic came up in front of one of the kids, the comment was made that they'd probably just turn them in to the local police. Nope, that ain't gonna happen.

I've seen where a couple other guys have had their collections auctioned off at a local gun club. I sort of like that idea. Yes, it gets an FFL involved, but the guns are going to other shooters in the club.

FergusonTO35
06-14-2023, 03:45 PM
If you have a big collection and/or have NFA stuff, form a trust. My mom owns alot of property and every bit of it is in a trust that will be professionally managed upon her death. That's not to say the kids won't get an inheritance, but it's structured so nobody can try to hoodwink anyone else and also avoid tax issues as much as possible.

schutzen-jager
06-14-2023, 04:57 PM
Excellent post, DG.

My biggest concern is that I'll kick the bucket and my wife will have to deal with the guns. She's not exactly knowledgeable and I fear that some dirtbag will rip her off.

--Wag--
one of my old employers was a state champ trap shooter - kind of scared of his second spouse - purchased a midas grade o/u Browning w/ extra barrels, told wife he paid $100.00 for it, a few weeks after his burial one of his so called friends bought it for $200.00 !

OS OK
06-14-2023, 08:03 PM
" There is a list in the safe of who gets what."
Is that list legally binding? Perhaps it's also listed in your will?

I have made a point to list in my will who gets what.

My wife's word is all I need. Her word has been good in 47 years of marriage, I haven't any reason to doubt it now.

dverna
06-14-2023, 10:55 PM
My experience using GunBroker to sell rifles and shotguns has been very positive. DG is incorrect. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped USPS. No need to deal with UPS or FedEx. I have my FFL handle shipment of handguns. An FFL might charge $30 so it is not too bad. I list the FFL fees in the ad and the buyer must pay them.

I have sold a couple of guns here but it is not a good venue. Too few buyers plus too many old guys who are looking for deals. BTW, look at all the guys posting about selling stuff...telling. I moved my sales to GB as a result.

I envy those who have kids and grandkids that are interested in the sport. Makes things a lot easier.

Thin Man
06-15-2023, 09:25 AM
How odd that I found this thread to read. Tell you why... I target shot and hunted with my father until he passed. I was 10 at the time, so no more shooting until I was able to buy my own arms from friends before I reached adult age of 21 (that was long ago). From then until now I have been a recreational shooter, hunter, firearm gatherer, reloader and caster. My hobby shop resembles a retail market. Still have the love for for the game but the years and various medical challenges have slowed me greatly. Over the passing years a friend and I held an FFL for our own benefits. I started doing firearm repair work while working 34 years at our police department, on my own for the next 13 years. The medical issues grew worse and the end could be any time. The one thing I learned was that even close "friends" will buy everything left behind if the price is right, meaning cheap. I have seen survivors absolutely destroyed with low dollar sales. That makes me more than angry as I wanted the sales of my toys to bring funds to the wife, not smiles to the buyers. Now it starts.

We have 3 daughters. The first already has her share of firearms I have provided to her. The second is physically unable to use any firearm, also no interest. The third is growing in her interest in recreational shooting and her husband is now hunting with me and showing much more interest, but not yet for reloading and casting. This 3rd pair have their handguns
and I have saved out the rifles and shotguns they can use any time and will go to them when I am gone. As for the rest, read on.

I decided to sell off the bulk (saved enough for my hunting needs) of my firearms by auction. Our local auctioneers ask 15% commission and let the seller deliver the merchandise to the auction site. I located an out-of-state auctioneer who holds several "firearm" auctions every year, to include related materials, ammo, etc. in his sales. His operating costs are reasonable considering the amount of advertising he spreads and his commission on the proceeds of the auctions is only 5%. The catalog describing his sales items is written by someone who knows more about the firearms than most people who think they "know it all". This vendor drove just under 4 hours from his site to me, packaged and loaded everything, drove it back to his site for ZERO additional cost. In fact, it was only YESTERDAY that he arrived and loaded my 270 firearms along with around 400 pounds of factory ammo along with rifle and spotting scopes, chronograph, knives and all other "stuff" to transport to his site, NO additional fees for this pick-up activity. I provided lunch and felt like I should have done more for him and his helpers. My final goal is to provide the best cash benefit for my family with no interference from those who would take advantage of an estate environment. The auction should occur in about 45-60 days out with final payment within 10 days of closing. May take longer as this will be a 2-day sale. I'm OK with that, just so long as more items sell than not due to my "reserve" prices on certain firearms. I'm already feeling better knowing the wife will not have to deal with this volume of merchandise.

scattershot
06-15-2023, 11:06 AM
I am slowly downsizing, so my wife won’t have to deal with it when I’m gone.

I’m 76, and don’t hunt any more, so there are some guns that I just don’t shoot any more. Of course, these are the ones left after the boating accident.

lightman
06-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Mine and my Wife's are in our will to go to our Sons and Grandsons. I have already gifted a few of them.

Electrod47
06-15-2023, 02:20 PM
Thin Man, I know that must have been tough...Bless you brother. Some guys just know how to suck it up. I'm 76 and I need to suck it up.

Jtarm
06-15-2023, 11:58 PM
DGs story reminds me of an old gun writer I knew as a young man.

I visited his house a few times when he was asked to liquidate the collection of a deceased friend.

His wife once commented that “every time someone we know dies, Dick ends up with all their guns!”

I don’t think I ever saw more than a fraction of his collection, which was rumored to be well over 500 guns.

A lot were displayed throughout his house. I once accompanied him to a walk-in closet that looked big enough to house Imelda Marcos’ shoe collection. There were long guns leaning roughly four-deep against every wall.

Winger Ed.
06-16-2023, 01:18 AM
he was asked to liquidate the collection of a deceased friend..

My long time friend and local gun store owner had a customer like that who died suddenly.
Every few weeks his widow would bring in an armload of really nice guns to sell on consignment.
He didn't have the storage space to take them all in at once.
He even 'upgraded' and got a Class III license to sell a few of the collection.

waylonrocks
06-17-2023, 06:57 AM
I am very fortunate that my 3 sons enjoy guns and live nearby. They each have a large safe filled with guns, as do I. We have made a concerted effort to avoid buying the same exact guns, so when one of us buys a gun, everyone else gets to shoot it and experience it as well. In this fashion, I get to enjoy a Desert Eagle, a Ruger No. 1, a 500 S & W, etc. As far as my guns, we had a drawing for handguns and one for rifles. In essence, the one with the longest straw gets first pick of my handguns, the medium straw picks the next one, etc. After each has a gun, we redraw again and repeat until each gun is spoken for. They are free to trade amongst themselves any time they wish. The main drawback is anytime I go to enjoy one of my guns, the kid cautions me to take good care of "his" gun! LOL My kids are savvy enough on gun values, so I am confident that my modest collection won't be disposed of for pennies on the dollar.

Jedman
06-17-2023, 09:56 AM
I am disposing some of my guns right now and have done this several times in the past. I have to force myself not to buy more when I find a good deal and tell myself I don’t NEED it.
I sold 11 long guns back in Feb. at a small gun show with only 1 table but was selling for a lot less than the others that have tables at every show.
I also sold 4 on Gunbroker in the past months and they are much more difficult to work with than they were a few years ago. I also have one of my more valuable rifles at a LGS for sale on consignment and so far they have not sold it so I am not sure that is a good option either.
I have a lot of guns and some are wildcat calibers that I built and have the die sets and think I had better start selling them to people on the several gun forums I post on.
I have told my wife if I pass first ( most likely ) she should take them all to a local auction house and let them take care of the selling but I find people at auctions don’t seem to be handloaders and almost all my guns have dies and components that are specific to individual guns and the auction house doesn’t sell guns with reloading items to go with them , must be to much to keep track of ?
I hope to have another 10 years of hunting , shooting and playing with project guns that I have acquired. I have a lot of projects and it seems there is never enough time to get much done on them as keeping up a house and 4 vehicles is almost a full time job. I have always done everything myself but at some point I will need to pay someone else to do most of these things but that hard to do for me.

So for me I need to stop buying guns first , and start getting rid of the oddballs that I own while I can explain what they are and how to load for them ect.
That’s just the guns, then there is a lot of wood working stuff, metal working stuff, welders, a camper, boat , canoes , play cars ………
Jedman

BNE
06-17-2023, 10:58 AM
At 53 I hope to have a grandchild or two that are “in to it”. If not, then I hope to find a kid that wants to learn. I am sentimental about the guns I buy, but I don’t want to burden my kids or anyone else with my sentimentality unless they share my desires for gun stuff.
BNE

Frank V
06-18-2023, 11:21 AM
When I’m done, I usually bring it home & clean it:guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley:

Texas by God
06-18-2023, 02:37 PM
I don’t like to have more guns than I can use.
I’m kind of reaching that point at 64 years old.
The unique “custom rifles” will be given to my grown kids, as well as the two that my father passed down to me.
Others will be given to friends, then I’ll sell the rest.
This plan will work unless I die in the middle of doing it.
My odds are even. Either I will or I won’t.[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shooting on a shoestring
06-18-2023, 03:28 PM
Frank V for the win!
Good shot!

Thin Man
06-26-2023, 09:44 AM
Electrod47, you are right on target. Over my days I have had several health challenges that should have been the end of me. Didn't happen, yet... It was about 2 years ago when I realized I had to dump all of those things that were a threat to my wife and daughters - financially, of course. Sold off our few rental houses, closed and liquidated the FFL activities, sold off the hunting camp property (with destitute mobile home on it) all to get the best financial recovery for my survivors. For my entire 53 years of marriage I have lived a "family first" experience that stays with me even now. Last December I had a bad fall on an escalator at the Ft. Lauderdale airport, busted my head really good. Even now at 6 months out the doctors tell me my brain is still leaking blood. Not a good thing, but at least a sign that my end may be sooner than later. As my firearm auction is on contract I can expect those proceeds to go to SWMBO. This is the last of the chores I needed finished while I still had the ability to get it done. Maybe that fall was the "nudge" I needed to go ahead and do what I could before I became unable. Do I miss my auction toys? You better believe it. This is almost as painful as having to put down your favorite dog. My memories of these is clear and I can smile about the fun we had together. I bit the boolit and let them go to help take care of the family. Now that this is finished I can relax and enjoy family time.

JoeJames
06-26-2023, 10:35 AM
I've been thinning my herd over the last few years, by selling, or in the case of old family firearms giving them to a cousin. My wife's family is just not much into guns. I have taken steps to handle all my real property without the need for a will. I have done such for some of my clients who I dissuaded for doing wills. As far as personal property like guns, a list in the safe with who gets what is not particularly legal, but should have sufficient moral force to work just fine. Generally speaking if the bulk of the real and financial property has been taken care, few kinfolks would be willing to pony up attorney's fees over probating just personal property.