PDA

View Full Version : My Beautiful Great Granddaughter drew a picture for me

roysha
06-10-2023, 02:58 PM
Not only is she beautiful physically, but a beautiful person as well, along with being a 4.0+ student and an accomplished soccer player, such that she earned a Varsity Letter in her freshman year in high school. I am truly blessed.

The background.

Several years ago my wife was quite involved in the annual craft shows and during the holiday season spent many weekends attending them as a vendor. At one of the shows there was a fellow that drew people's hands in whatever pose they wanted. Most opted for the "Praying hands" pose, similar to the "Christ's Praying Hands" picture.
We struck up a conversation since his booth was right next to my wife's. I asked him if he could/would draw a picture of my hands holding my S&W 629. He said he had no problem with it but the show sponsors would have a hissy fit because of a gun on the premises so he suggested we get together at my house or his place and get the drawing made. Never happened.

Fast forward 20 or so years and my great granddaughter is a budding artist. She was taking classes and one part was anatomy. She showed me the drawings she had made of hands. The light bulb suddenly came on! SHE CAN DO THE DRAWING!

She took some photos to work from and spent the next few months getting it just right to her satisfaction. She absolutely captured these 80 year old hands, the wrinkles, the dark thumb nail, veins, my wrist watch kinda twisted off to the side as it does when I shoot my "Big Kahuna", etc and when I see that picture I am taken aback every time. How she transferred the essence of it all to paper I will never understand.

I have not been without a 44 Magnum or 2 or 3 since 1965. Growing up in the 50s naturally I grew up dreaming of being a cowboy so my first 44 MAG was a Ruger SBH. A very close friend introduced me to the M-29 3-4 years later and that was that. My last gun to ever go away will be my 629-1 8 3/8" barrel.
The photo I have posted comes close but in real life it is FANTASTIC!!

The photo I have posted comes close but in real life it is FANTASTIC!! The picture is true to life size. I told her the barrel was 8 3/8" long and she scaled everything to that.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention she is just 15 years old

high standard 40
06-10-2023, 03:19 PM
That's an incredible work of art. Truly amazing. You're great granddaughter is indeed talented.

Hondolane
06-10-2023, 04:04 PM
That is talent, looks like a picture!

JimB..
06-10-2023, 04:34 PM
Great story and drawing, thanks for sharing!

Walks
06-10-2023, 05:02 PM
Wow
Priceless, it will become a family heirloom in the future. To show how once we had Freedom.

Mk42gunner
06-10-2023, 05:12 PM
Wow, that young lady has talent.

bedbugbilly
06-10-2023, 05:34 PM
That is fantastic! Your g-granddaughter sounds like a very special gal and what the two of you shared in all of this will be treasured by her in the years to come. A great story and an even greater piece of artwork! Thanks for sharing and the two of you have created something that will be looked at and treasured by all of your family members. You are truly a very lucky man! and may your granddaughter be blessed in her travels through life!

slim1836
06-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Wow, great work.

Slim

Thin Man
06-11-2023, 06:26 AM
It's always a pleasure to stare at the work of a talented artist. We had a member of our police department who had this talent. Once a lady complained that a man had tried to force himself at her but she escaped his advances. We got her to describe this character to the artist and in a few hours his drawing was completed to her satisfaction. The artist carried his picture into the squad room and held it up for the officers to see. When he held up the drawing and called out for anyone to name the character, 4 people shouted out the same name instantly. Turned out they were right and charges were brought against the actor.

It didn't end there. A few years later a senior officer's son owned an exhibition-grade Mustang and was very proud of it. The father asked the artist to create a drawing of the car for the son. This took longer with the amount of detail the artist invested in his work. He brought that drawing to the office and presented it to the father. It was so detailed that we could name the brand of tires on the car by inspecting the tread pattern on them (yes, it really was that detailed). This same artist has a side hobby of restoring Camaros, has even been featured on the front cover of custom car magazines. When he enters one of his restored cars in competitions he usually wins those events. Such talent.

MrWolf
06-11-2023, 08:21 AM
Wow. She is very talented. You are both blessed and what a truly beautiful memento to have for the family.

Rapier
06-11-2023, 09:19 AM
Really good work.
She should sign and date her work.

Thumbcocker
06-11-2023, 09:34 AM
Just amazing. Few artists can draw hands accurately.

contender1
06-11-2023, 10:20 AM
Beautiful.
Get her to sign & date it. Your heirs will know a "little more" about it that way.

roysha
06-11-2023, 10:36 AM
It's a bit difficult to see but right above my right wrist is her "artists" signature and date.

starbits
06-12-2023, 01:38 AM
Hands are the hardest part of the human body to draw accurately. She did an outstanding job.

dale2242
06-12-2023, 08:19 AM
I insisted that my wife sign and date all of the ceramics that she made.
Now that she is gone her work is now priceless heirlooms.

John Guedry
06-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Beautiful work. We have a great grand daughter,she's not quite 2. Who knows how she'll turn out.

pworley1
06-12-2023, 09:00 AM
Very impressive in many ways. Congratulations.

KenH
06-12-2023, 09:19 AM
Are you sure that's not a photo? {grinning}. Amazing true talent! Thank you for sharing.

jeepyj
06-12-2023, 09:25 AM
Oh my goodness, what a wonderful job. A true artist for sure. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story!

Rapier
06-12-2023, 09:27 AM
My father was a painter, and a Hudson Bomber pilot in the north Atlantic flying anti sub patrols. Gone now, I have the only painting of his that I am aware of, that still survives today. Things of that nature are priceless. It is a sea scape, in oil, of a barge cut on lake Okeechobee. Field and Stream did a six page article on him in the 50s, he was a well known fishing guide.

daengmei
06-13-2023, 12:18 PM
She needs noticed by high paying illustrators. Very nice drawing.

Kosh75287
06-13-2023, 12:33 PM
I wish MY pencil sketches looked HALF as elegant and precised as your great granddaughter's work! She's a truly talented young lady!

abunaitoo
06-15-2023, 04:12 PM
Is she by chance left handed???
Majority of the artist I know are left handed.
They say the left side of the body is the creative side.
Father was an artist and was left handed.
I'm right handed and can't draw anything at all.
She has an amazing gift.
It looks just like a photo.

Thumbcocker
06-16-2023, 08:31 AM
Isn't the left hand controlled by the right side of the brain? My left handed uncle used to say he was the only one in the family that was in his right mind.

45workhorse
06-16-2023, 08:42 AM
THAT! Is mighty fine drawing! Well done!