PDA

View Full Version : Grow it and they will come.

Hogtamer
06-09-2023, 09:24 PM
Mighty good growing season this year so far. Corn next week and tomatoes the week after.
This is the old golden bantam 12 row.

armoredman
06-10-2023, 02:25 AM
I've considered getting the Heirloom Seed Bank from Ready Hour, but i have very little skill and no really good dirt to use. That looks excellent!

farmerjim
06-10-2023, 07:35 AM
It looks like you planted the corn about 2 feet apart. You can plant it 10 to 12 inches apart without a yield loss. Cook your corn within an hour of picking. Heirloom varieties will change the sugar to starch within hours. Most heirloom vegetables have flavor over yield.
Wife picked a delicious (variety) tomato and made me a sandwich yesterday.

upr45
06-10-2023, 08:17 AM
Nice, my corn is about 2" tall. Short 90 day growing season here. Looks fantastic!

farmerjim
06-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Nice, my corn is about 2" tall. Short 90 day growing season here. Looks fantastic!
Short season, but it is intense due to long days.
There are varieties that will use the long days to advantage.
I remember going to a bar in Port Cartier Quebec just before 10:00 PM with the sun starting to set, Leaving at 2 AM closing time, and seeing the sun starting to rise.

Northern supersweet was one of the varieties of corn I grew in northern New York. It did fantastic. I tried it down here in Louisiana, and it was a total failure.

MUSTANG
06-10-2023, 01:11 PM
No corn being planted this year; but Beets, Turnips, Radishes, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Peas, Pole Beans, Onions, Garlic, several varieties of squash, several varieties of peppers, egg plant, celery, lots of potatoes, and I am sure I missed a few other items.

Garden fence is 50 inches high. To keep deer out I have 8 foot tall 2x2 poles that I string bailing twine up every 8 inches above the fence top and between the poles. Deer see it and do not jump the fence. Before I started that 10 years ago; we would loose about 40% of the Garden to Deer.

Beerd
06-10-2023, 01:33 PM
Corn next week and tomatoes the week after.

I thought for sure that this was an old post from last year :)

I'm a little envious.
No room for corn, tomatoes won't be ripe until August.
Heck my zucchini just started putting out their 2nd set of true leaves.

Hogtamer
06-10-2023, 02:02 PM
You are right Jim, 2 ft rows. But I am gonna plant peas right in the corn rows and thought I’d need a little room to pick. As for tomatoes, I plant Big Beef for all the resistance to various diseases. Most others start great then almost overnight you can set fire to them. Great flavor and good size too.

Good Cheer
06-10-2023, 09:05 PM
Didn't start indoors this year so mite lose all the squash to borers before it makes.
But I'll plant a second crop to take advantage of their limited window of egg laying.
Everything else is coming on fine up here just south of Lake Michigan.

farmerjim
06-11-2023, 08:21 AM
When I was growing commercially, Big Beef was one of my main varieties.
As you said great flavor and good disease resistant.

tja6435
06-11-2023, 11:15 AM
Dang, I just got my corn planted on 6/3, 6/5 and yesterday 6/10. I usually get it in around 5/27 but it’s been a cold spring here.

MaryB
06-11-2023, 12:56 PM
Planted corn 3 days ago! Heck got the garden in only a week later than normal for my area of MN...

farmerjim
06-11-2023, 01:22 PM
No corn being planted this year; but Beets, Turnips, Radishes, Tomatoes, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Peas, Pole Beans, Onions, Garlic, several varieties of squash, several varieties of peppers, egg plant, celery, lots of potatoes, and I am sure I missed a few other items.

Garden fence is 50 inches high. To keep deer out I have 8 foot tall 2x2 poles that I string bailing twine up every 8 inches above the fence top and between the poles. Deer see it and do not jump the fence. Before I started that 10 years ago; we would loose about 40% of the Garden to Deer.

Your deer are wimps! Mine easily jump my 8 1/2 foot fence. I have to put electric wires down the sides of the rows to keep the deer from eating my crops.

For those here that have too short of a season to grow corn, You can start the seed in a 72 round cell tray.
They are then transplanted at about 3 weeks.

I start the GMO bacillus thuringiensis corn (In trays with grow lights) about 3 weeks before the regular sweet corn. As it is ready before the regular sweet corn, the moths lay their eggs on the BT corn and die, leaving the regular corn mostly free from worms.

farmbif
06-11-2023, 01:33 PM
nice to have a garden you can eat from. I been thinking about a new place to plow up this summer try to get it ready for next spring. if I could find a way to keep out the deer and other 4 legged creatures and the crows I might be in good shape. my pride of outdoor cats has done a pretty good job of eliminating the voles, moles, mice, rabbits chipmunks and squirrels in the immediate area.

farmerjim
06-11-2023, 02:02 PM
Keep the deer out with a (hot) fence charger and electric wires around each row. Use plastic poles down the row with 1/2 in rebar poles on the ends. To keep crows out, kill a crow. Tie the dead crow to a long stick. Stick the pole in the ground with the crow on top. Works 100%. Trap coons in live traps and dispatch them the next morning. ( Do not use dukes dog proof traps. They will break your cats paw when he sticks it in to get the bait.) Fox and deer will eat sweet corn, but not enough to worry about. Those are the only pests I worry about down here.

Thundarstick
06-11-2023, 08:35 PM
Never had a cat try and get mini marshmallows out of those dog proof traps? What are you baiting with?

MaryB
06-12-2023, 12:15 PM
Never had a cat try and get mini marshmallows out of those dog proof traps? What are you baiting with?

Many use cat food... but if it doesn't break a raccoon paw it shouldn't break a cat paw... Never noticed broken paws in any of the coons we caught... lead poisoning yes LOL

farmerjim
06-12-2023, 01:18 PM
I have baited with tuna fish and have used marshmallows both large and small.
In the live traps I have caught coons, possums, cats, fox, dogs. I caught my neighbors full size lab one time. She totally filled the trap. It was probably the tuna that got the cat. We also have coatimundi here but have not caught one in a trap. They are not suppose to be here, but my and several others lying eyes have seen them from deer stands.

MaryB
06-13-2023, 12:23 PM
I have baited with tuna fish and have used marshmallows both large and small.
In the live traps I have caught coons, possums, cats, fox, dogs. I caught my neighbors full size lab one time. She totally filled the trap. It was probably the tuna that got the cat. We also have coatimundi here but have not caught one in a trap. They are not suppose to be here, but my and several others lying eyes have seen them from deer stands.

I have never used that style live trap for raccoons... use a dog proof...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0024/0969/3236/products/DukeDogProofRaccoonTrap_540x.jpg

Good Cheer
06-13-2023, 12:47 PM
Tried a big rat trap a couple of times for burrowing ground squirrels in the garden.
They sprung the trap and cleaned up the peanut butter.