PDA

View Full Version : On these toaster convection ovens...the fans.

AbitNutz
06-09-2023, 11:30 AM
I have one of the cheap Hamilton Beach convection toaster ovens and I'm looking make the fan run continuously. Just off hand, does anyone know if these fans are 120v or 12v? It might make a difference on the way I choose to skin this cat.

HATCH
06-09-2023, 11:39 AM
I would assume they are 120v.
I don’t think they would use a power supply to provide 12v for the fan or controls.

AbitNutz
06-09-2023, 11:53 AM
If that's the case, I can just use a plug in PID and wire a separate cord and plug in the fan to 120v.

HATCH
06-09-2023, 12:36 PM
I would think that in normal operation the tan would stay on all the time to circulate the hot air around with the heating element cycling on/off to maintain.

ulav8r
06-09-2023, 09:21 PM
Don't have a cheap Hamilton Beach toaster oven. If you are going to modify it, you will need to partially disassemble it to modify the wiring. By examining the wiring you should be able to tell if it is 120V or 12V.

I highly suspect you will not find a 12V transformer in a cheap toaster oven.

AbitNutz
06-15-2023, 10:32 PM
There are 120 volts to the fan according to my multimeter. I soldered a cord to it and plugged it into the wall...it spins just like it did before, just all the time now.

D.Bullets
06-15-2023, 11:07 PM
Mine was 120v ac. My easy attempt. I just opened it up and hooked the fan wires only to its own plug In cord. Now the oven had 2 cords. Fan ran as long as it was plugged in. Eventually rewired it to a switch and a PID.

AbitNutz
06-20-2023, 01:23 PM
Mine was 120v ac. My easy attempt. I just opened it up and hooked the fan wires only to its own plug In cord. Now the oven had 2 cords. Fan ran as long as it was plugged in. Eventually rewired it to a switch and a PID.

I followed your lead and did exactly the same thing. My oven now has two cords. I added an on/off switch to the middle of the fan cord because I got tired of unplugging it.

firefly1957
06-27-2023, 09:56 AM
Probably could have run a wire to the power button rather then use an extra cord?

oley55
06-28-2023, 12:32 PM
I would think that in normal operation the tan would stay on all the time to circulate the hot air around with the heating element cycling on/off to maintain.

not familiar with the op's oven but my cheapo Oster "turbo" toaster oven does the same thing a "convection" oven does (I think??). The power to the fan on mine was in series to the heating element. The rapid cycling of my PID rendered the fan mostly useless. So I simply ran a separate 110v power cord with an inline switch (power cord from an old heating pad), so I could keep the fan running. Check n see for the OP I guess.