PDA

View Full Version : Vacation plans

Wayne Smith
06-08-2023, 01:48 PM
This is starting planning way early, but that is typical of us. We will be spending a week in a resort in Hot Springs, AK in September. We will be driving from Virginia Beach, VA and figure on stopping several places on the way. Thinking of maybe a three day trip out, at least, and perhaps the same back.

So, what is there to see between Virginia Beach and Hot Springs? LOML is severely limited in her ability to walk without pain - we were in the Shenandoah National Park a couple months ago and, for those who know the park, we did the LumberLost trail, which is a handicapped trail of just over one mile. She made it but had to sit and rest five times in that distance - so that is her limit. She recently walked a half mile here, but it is all flat around here. We used to hike, but that is clearly no longer true. We enjoy wineries an meaderies, and I'm sure that there are many on the way (three a day is our limit!). We enjoy craft shops and shows, potters, and historical recreations. We enjoy museums, and at one time the Smithsonian was a favorite place - but too much walking now. We recently spent a day with Arisaka99 and his family in a historical recreation, but he was able to get a golf cart so LOML could walk and ride.

So, what do you recommend given our limitations?

Winger Ed.
06-08-2023, 06:16 PM
It's a little out of the way, but going up to the top of Skyline Drive west of DC and going South on it before you turn west is pretty.
While stationed in Virginia, we'd make the run on motorcycles a few times a year.

jim 44-40
06-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Skyline drive is awesome! Like the speed limit, no hurry to get to the end.

hiram
06-08-2023, 06:51 PM
Tenn. has alot to see.

Kestrel4k
06-08-2023, 08:22 PM
This is starting planning way early, but that is typical of us. We will be spending a week in a resort in Hot Springs, AK in September.
We will be driving from Virginia Beach, VA and figure on stopping several places on the way. Thinking of maybe a three day trip out, at least, and perhaps the same back. [...]
Three days, I dunno; Alaska is pretty far.

ulav8r
06-08-2023, 09:48 PM
Central Arkansas to Banff, Alberta was a long 3 days. Alaska would be quite a bit longer. Bing Maps Says Hampton to Juneau is just over 3800 miles. There is no Hot Springs, AK.

Hot Springs, Arkansas has some nice attractions But it is not in AK or AZ.

ulav8r
06-08-2023, 09:58 PM
P.S. to above, the diamond mine state park at Murfreesboro is about an hour away from Hot Springs. There you can keep any diamonds you might find. There are crystal mines near Hot Springs that might be of interest. At one time Smith's had an outlet store where you could get good prices on Arkansas oilstones but I don't know if they are still there.

sigep1764
06-09-2023, 12:41 AM
Tons of wineries south of St Louis and Mark Twain National Forest is beautiful with plenty of cabins to rent for the night.

Handloader109
06-09-2023, 07:42 AM
Plan on a good amount of walking around Hot Springs, so don't over do prior to getting there. My wife went down in 2020 for a couple of days with one of her friends and I went down and stayed one day to pick her up. She's got a couple of bad knees and struggled.... between these two points is a lot....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Half Dog
06-09-2023, 08:19 AM
FWIW, I’ve been to the diamond mines in Arkansas. It’s kinda like snipe hunting.

Wayne Smith
06-09-2023, 08:29 AM
We have spent a lot of time in Shenandoah Park and Skyline Drive, but for those who don't know the Blue Ridge Parkway runs from the south end of Shenandoah to Pigeon Forge, NC and is part of the National Park system. And yes, we have spent a lot of time there. Sorry about the state abbreviation confusion - we are not driving to Alaska!

Note: It's the same road - Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Parkway south. From the beginning in Front Royal, VA to Pigeon Forge it's 35mph speed limit and sometimes you think that's too fast!

jim 44-40
06-09-2023, 08:57 AM
Indian River Inlet, Delaware. Going to go catch the big one! Hope to get wife out with her new electric scooter

Rich/WIS
06-09-2023, 09:40 AM
KY also has a lot of distilleries that offer tours, may be doable depending on your route.

lightman
06-09-2023, 01:40 PM
I can't make any suggestions for your trip down but I know a good bit about Hot Springs. The Historical Down Town part would be fun to walk around in. You can see the old bath houses and you can drive up on West and North mountains. If water is your thing there are several good size lakes where you can rent ski boats or party barges. There are a few nice restaurants if for is your thing. If beer if of interest there is a neat brewery down town in one of the old bath houses and another out on the lake. You can also drive out from town and enjoy the mountains or see the dams.

reddog81
06-09-2023, 11:31 PM
FWIW, I’ve been to the diamond mines in Arkansas. It’s kinda like snipe hunting.

Tons of fun baking in a barren field and digging through dirt 100 others have looked through that day! I’d pay $20 to not do that again.

waksupi
06-10-2023, 08:48 AM
Pick your state, lots of things to do in any of them.

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/