PDA

View Full Version : cleaning bbl

gasboffer
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I've read on here that several people use Chor-Boy wrapped around a brass brush to clean lead out of the bbl. I bought a box of Chor-Boy at Wal-mart and when I looked at it at home, it was stainless steel. Does this stuff come in brass?
Clyde

RSOJim
02-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Use the stainless steel. It works great and will not wear out your barrel. I have been using it for years. About 10 good swipes thru your barrel and all lead is gone. It took longer to type this than it would take to clean your barrel. Thanks Jim

Calamity Jake
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Use the stainless steel. It works great and will not wear out your barrel. I have been using it for years. About 10 good swipes thru your barrel and all lead is gone. It took longer to type this than it would take to clean your barrel. Thanks Jim

I've hurd just the opposite, "Never use SS in a barrel" it scratches it and is abrasive.

The SS is not harder than barrel steal just a lot tougher.

I always use the bronze wool or lewis lead remover.

44man
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I would not put anything steel in a barrel except the rod. Hoppe's makes a stainless tornado brush and I would only use one in a shotgun. Even a wood or aluminum rod will wallow out a bore if a protector isn't used, look at all the original muzzle loaders.
If you think a stainless barrel is hard, why is it so easy to remove a bad scratch with a piece of fine Scotch Brite? Fine steel wool will scratch the outside of a stainless barrel and can even leave a piece to cause rust.
I would think scratches in a bore would just cause worse leading.
You can test the pad by rubbing your stainless steel sink with it.

monadnock#5
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Chore Boy does make copper scrubbers. They're just not as widely available as the stainless. I checked 2 supermarkets, 2 hardware stores and 2 big box home stores before I found the good stuff at a True Value hardware store in the barbecue section. If it doesn't sat Chore Boy on the box, check the contents with a magnet. There's junk out there that says "copper", but is really stainless with a copper wash.

fourarmed
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I think the kind you want may say "Chore Girl."

R.C. Hatter
02-11-2009, 11:07 PM
I would only use the brass/bronze cleaner as the stainless could very well scratch the bore and thereby cause trouble later. Also it can embed itself in stainless and cause rust
as well. J-B bore paste will remove lead also, but at the expense of some elbow grease.
If you are firing a rifle and the lead does NOT constitute a bore obstruction, the firing of a couple of jacketed bullets at 2000 f.p.s. or better, will remove the lead. Your barrel may then be cleaned by conventional means to remove the small amout of copper fouling left in the bore by such firing.

cajun shooter
02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Believe it or not a lot of stores quit selling the coppper Chore boy because that 's what the crack junkies use to smoke the cocaine. Went to buy some for serious pot cleaning.( antique store find) and was told that by the store manger. I was aware of the use as I'm a former Narcotics Agent but did'nt think the stores were in the fight. They now only carry the steel as it can't be used.

Beekeeper
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Have you ever used a electronic bore cleaner?
I saw a post over on surplus rifle and built one using a 6 volt DC powerpack that I had laying around.
Tried it on a gun I said was clean and found I must have missed a lot.
Long story short have used it on all of my long guns and now they even sound clean.
Am in the process if building a mauser 71/84 and turned what I thought was a sewer pipe into a pristine barrel
I like them.

beekeeper