PDA

View Full Version : sizing question

sv44
06-05-2023, 11:29 AM
apologize if this has been answered but can you guys advise- when placing a cast boolit into the sizer is the point of the projectile facing down(so it comes out first) or facing up(so it comes out last)? Maybe it doesn't matter?
Thanks in advance

BLAHUT
06-05-2023, 11:39 AM
On a push through sizer I put it in point first.

Try both and see what works best for you ?

Bazoo
06-05-2023, 01:35 PM
When using a push through sizer, I run them through nose first.

HWooldridge
06-05-2023, 01:45 PM
You generally push on the base.

Mk42gunner
06-05-2023, 08:09 PM
Depends on the system you are using. The in and out sizers-- Lyman, RCBS and others usually the base goes in first, gets pushed down and back up. The push through type Star and Lee go nose first on a one way trip.

Robert

Walter Laich
06-05-2023, 08:47 PM
I have my press mounted upside down. That way I just put the bullet, nose first, into the die and don't have to worry about getting it all centered on the little ram.

drops down a tube into a plastic cat treat container with a soft cloth to cushion the fall

I find this is much easier on my mental state and I can do a bunch in a short period of time

sv44
06-06-2023, 08:09 AM
the reason i asked-when i ordered a lbt mold a few years back I spoke to veral and he seemed to be saying to put the boolit in base first (the top would be pushed through the sizer last). I wasn't real clear on the why and have tried it both ways. It makes sense to me to do it as you guys suggest if for no other reason that if there is any deformity induced (small chance i would guess) it would affect the base and not the nose.
In any case, thank you for all your responses

shooter bob
06-06-2023, 12:15 PM
For accuracy the base is more important than the nose

mdi
06-06-2023, 01:07 PM
I believe most will go nose first. Won't a base first require a nose punch? A punch fitting the shape of the bullet nose to keep the bullet centered and not damage the nose?

dondiego
06-06-2023, 01:31 PM
the reason i asked-when i ordered a lbt mold a few years back I spoke to veral and he seemed to be saying to put the boolit in base first (the top would be pushed through the sizer last). I wasn't real clear on the why and have tried it both ways. It makes sense to me to do it as you guys suggest if for no other reason that if there is any deformity induced (small chance i would guess) it would affect the base and not the nose.

You sound like you are using a sizer with sizing dies like a Lyman 450, in which case you do put the base of the bullet in and the top of the bullet gets sized last. With a push through sizer like the LEE push through, you place the bullet base on a ram and push the nose of the bullet into the size die first and the base gets sized last.

fredj338
06-06-2023, 04:53 PM
depends on the system you are using. The in and out sizers-- lyman, rcbs and others usually the base goes in first, gets pushed down and back up. The push through type star and lee go nose first on a one way trip.

Robert
^^this^^

fredj338
06-06-2023, 04:56 PM

As noted, depends on your sizing method. I have a Star, you could go nose or base, just depends on bullet bearing length for lube. If sizing coated, nose first. If you have a Lyman, RCBS or Saeco, base first with a fitted nose seating punch. Simple method is a cheap Lee C press inverted on the edge of your bench. Drop the bullets in nose first.