PDA

View Full Version : Front sight question for a Marlin lever rifle

Jack Stanley
02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I put and older Lyman sight on a Marlin 336 and tried to sight it in . It's still shooting about six inches high at a hundred yards with the sight as low as it will go . I pushed out the fron sight from the dovetail and it was stamped 34M or M34 I forget .

Question is , How much taller does the sight need to be to get it down ? The rifle is a older half magazine rifle and I think the barrel is twenty-two inches , I can go measure it ( and the sight ) again if it would help .

Thanks , Jack

Jon K
02-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Jack,

I'm just guessing, the Lyman you put on was .375-.404 tall? is that close? the one you need is the next one up, which is .494 tall 17AMI.

Jon

C A Plater
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Brownells has a front sight calculator here (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx).

jlchucker
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
The best thing is to go easy--try the next commercial size up. Very little movement in either direction or up or down with a front sight changes bullet impact quite a bit. If you look at the availability of various front sights in catalogs like Brownell's, Midway, etc. you'll notice that height dimensions can vary by brand by a few thousanths. Six inches on a front sight change isn't very much IMO. Make sure that whatever height you end up with leaves you some room in either direction to make some fine adjustments with the REAR sight when you go from load to load.

Jack Stanley
02-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I think the numbers on the front sight are telling me it's a .340 but I'll hafta measure it to be sure . The rear sight however is at the very bottom of it's travel , I might be able to go to the .375 very easy .

I'd like to have this set up so I can leave the rear leaf sight on the barrel and be able to pop the staff out of the reciever sight and use it that way if I can .

Jack