PDA

View Full Version : Lyman # 313226 Double Cavity Bullet Mold damage

VintageRifle
02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Hello,

I picked up a used Lyman #313226 Double Cavity Bullet Mold off of ebay. The top of one cavity has either been dinged, or marked. I have not tried shooting any of these, yet, but they do have a small tooth or bur when casts.

Any suggestions on getting the top of the mould block repaired?

http://vintagerifle.net/images/bullet_moulds/bulletmouldmark.jpg

deltaenterprizes
02-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I can mill it down to remove the damage, it will make the bullet a little lighter.

longbow
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Looks like the top of the mould has been wire wheeled. It is quite the close up for sure but all the edges look rounded to me.

That little ding doesn't look too serious and will likely be cleaned up during sizing if it is a plain base mould ~ hard to tell in the close up. If it is a gas check mould the burr may be a problem unless removed.

If it is a problem, milling or surface grinding should clean it up and I see deltaenterprizes offers the service.

Longbow

I would try casting and shooting before worrying about it though.

VintageRifle
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
It is a plain base mould.

docone31
02-10-2009, 12:09 AM
The mold does look burnished.
I get worse defects than that on regular casting efforts sometimes.
I would heat it up, cast some, and look see at what drops. That is not that big. Try it, then deal with what results.

Bret4207
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't give it a thought at this point. Looks like some clown took the rust off with a heavy wire wheel and rounded the corners off already. You may end up with a standing seam no matter what you do. It'll look like crap, but it will probably shoot fine. I one very much like it and it shoots fine.

50calguy
09-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I have a favorite mold that often leaves fins on the base. I remove the ejector punch from my Lyman sizing die and just push them thru nose first. Use a smaller diameter nose punch, if necessary.
Larry

9.3X62AL
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a favorite mold that often leaves fins on the base. I remove the ejector punch from my Lyman sizing die and just push them thru nose first. Use a smaller diameter nose punch, if necessary.
Larry

OK, I've been casting and sizing since 1981......and it never occurred to me to try this trick with a finned boolit. Yeah, their weight might vary upward a bit--but for pistol usage as plinkers (90% of my handgun shooting) this would work fine. Thanks for the wake-up call, and welcome to the board!

MtGun44
09-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Just cast and size, they will probably be fine. Mold is a bit messed up, but it is likely
going to work for you.

Bill

50calguy
09-24-2012, 02:02 PM
OK, I've been casting and sizing since 1981......and it never occurred to me to try this trick with a finned boolit. Yeah, their weight might vary upward a bit--but for pistol usage as plinkers (90% of my handgun shooting) this would work fine. Thanks for the wake-up call, and welcome to the board!

Yeah, you young pups think you know it all! (JOKE). I'm a 1946 model.

I've been pouring lead since the mid '60's, and it still baffles me at times. Each mold seems to be a different, contrary creature.