PDA

View Full Version : Tig welding

fixit
06-01-2023, 09:21 PM
Since we have had a question about mig, I figured this is as good a place as others concerning a question my son in law has.... He has discovered the joys of the tig welder in the past 24 hours, but has run into a dilemma. He is welding reinforcements into a cargo trailer that is being converted to a travel trailer, and all was fine until he needed to weld the new inside ceiling braces. What he, and I by extension, need to know, is what is the trick to welding upside down?

Winger Ed.
06-01-2023, 10:42 PM
is what is the trick to welding upside down?

Heavy clothes, long gloves, and don't get directly under the arc.
That way when and if a bit of slag falls, it will bounce off your shoulder and not go down your sleeve or collar.

rancher1913
06-01-2023, 11:36 PM
tig does lend itself to overhead, it prefers flat. mig would be better or stick. it can be done but you need more than 24 hours of experience.

OS OK
06-02-2023, 03:38 AM
Sounds like a good challenge. Practice the scenario with some scrap first & when your ready...clean, clean, clean the metal you intend to TIG.

poppy42
06-02-2023, 04:19 AM
tig does lend itself to overhead, it prefers flat. mig would be better or stick. it can be done but you need more than 24 hours of experience.

This^

farmbif
06-02-2023, 08:45 AM
practice, practice, practice, need to sway the cup back and forth to keep the bead going as you add filler metal.