PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block underlever

marlinman93
06-01-2023, 03:39 PM
Well I've been holding off posting pictures of this rifle until I knew the deal was done. Since the seller sent me pictures a couple weeks ago, and I got the tracking number this morning showing it's shipped; I figured I'd post some pictures he sent me prior to my purchase.
This is a #1 Rolling Block, built to copy a Gove style underlever rifle. Can't give much in the way of details until it arrives next week, as the seller didn't know anything about it either. My hope is some details will be revealed once I remove forearm and buttstock and hopefully find some markings.
It appears to be a Sporting Action, or someone's nicely reshaped receiver to emulate a Sporting Action rifle. The barrel is a false muzzle full octagon barrel in .32-40 chambering. Wood is very nice high grade, and appears to have been expertly fitted and finished. The front sight is a nice windage globe, but no rear sight. I've got several long range and mid range tang sights, so one will find a home once I have it here.
I got more pictures, but these were the best 3 I got for now, so more once it lands here, and I can take them.

https://i.imgur.com/EwEAyUil.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/plB2v0Rl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hwJLwnGl.jpg

KenH
06-01-2023, 04:43 PM
That's an interesting rifle for sure - very nice case hardening on the receiver. Now, just what is that "underlever" you talk about? There seems to be a underlever in the top photo. Tell us more, and I'm looking forward to more photos.

uscra112
06-01-2023, 05:23 PM
You do find the most unusual stuff! Keep 'em coming!

Jedman
06-01-2023, 07:24 PM
Really nice and unusual rifle ! I will like to know how the lever actuates the breech block if that’s what it does ? That is a beautiful sporting rifle.

Jedman

Mk42gunner
06-01-2023, 07:32 PM
I've never seen one in real life, but the pictures and drawings of them I have seen are interesting.

Robert

06-01-2023, 09:12 PM
Never saw one of those. Conspicuously absent is the "ear" on the breech block. Very interested in what you find once it arrives.

Baltimoreed
06-01-2023, 09:39 PM
Guessing you cock the hammer as usual and then work the lever to rotate the breechblock to load or eject an empty case. Would make for a very positive ejection. Sharp looking rifle. I’ve had a couple of rollers over the years. A great singleshot.

marlinman93
06-02-2023, 08:51 AM
From what I've seen in only one under lever Rolling Block Gove clone, the hammer needed to be cocked, and then opening the lever worked just like opening the block on a stock Rolling Block. Then once the case was extracted you chamber a round and close the lever. It's ready to shoot just like a stock Rolling Block, so if you were not ready to shoot yet, you'd lower the hammer to half cock, or aim and fire if ready to shoot.
The design really doesn't change how the Rolling Block functions, it simply gives more leverage to the block to open vs. the small spur the block had. To me it's just the cool factor that a Rolling Block converted to under lever Gove style has. The side levers do the same with less leverage, and are a very simple conversion compared to this design, but they never seemed as exotic to my eyes.
If all goes well it should be here by Wed. according to tracking, but might get here Tue. if it goes as it has in the past. Fingers crossed it wont get stolen, or damaged on the way! Haven't had good luck with any shippers!

PS-It's a single set trigger also!

schutzen-jager
06-02-2023, 11:16 AM
https://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/5411

marlinman93
06-02-2023, 02:19 PM

That one is done more like a true Gove with the pewter tip, and full length wiping rod.

KenH
06-02-2023, 05:08 PM

Good photos - does the under lever cock the hammer as well as open the breech block?

marlinman93
06-02-2023, 07:35 PM
Good photos - does the under lever cock the hammer as well as open the breech block?

None I've seen cock the hammer. They only open the breech block and extract the shell.

HARRYMPOPE
06-04-2023, 04:26 PM
I can't wait to see it in person!

marlinman93
06-04-2023, 06:43 PM
I can't wait to see it in person!

It's almost here! And hopefully in one piece! Tracking shows it hit Eastern Oregon at 7:30 this morning, so guessing it might be here Mon., or Tue. for sure!

marlinman93
06-07-2023, 09:57 AM
Well this has been an ordeal, and hopefully it's over today! After making the deal to buy the under lever Gove style Rolling Block, I got a tracking number from the seller, and it was a FedEx number. Not excited about him using FedEx, but no choice on my part. He had told me he'd ship USPS, but for whatever reason he didn't.
So I watched as it traveled along really well, and got detailed updates along the way. Then Sunday it showed it arrived in Eastern Oregon, and Monday morning at 2:50 AM it was at my local FedEx. Then one minute later it showed arriving again? Then that night at 12:00 midnight it arrived again! Then it showed delivery yesterday, but nothing came. Suddenly yesterday afternoon it showed "no delivery date available".
I called customer no service and got some guy in India who told me they had no info, and it was still on schedule for Wed. the 7th. When I tried asking why it arrived 3 times, and had gone from the 7th, to the 6th, and then to No Delivery Scheduled, he acted like he didn't hear me and simply said it was still on track, and "have a good day" and hung up.
This morning I got an update telling me it was "out for delivery", so we'll see how that goes. FedEx is still as screwed up as ever, so no telling.

Rockingkj
06-07-2023, 10:40 AM
Yikes! Hope it comes soon!

marlinman93
06-07-2023, 01:03 PM
Yikes! Hope it comes soon!

I just hope it gets here, and is in good condition!

06-07-2023, 09:38 PM
good luck.

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 12:40 PM
Just for fun, here's FedEx's detailed tracking for the package. Note the Wed. at 12:37 PM note about a "recipient security delay"? What the heck that is I have no idea? We've got some city street repairs on the main drag about 6 blocks away, but not on our local streets. I think driver is simply either skipping large areas, or sick, and nobody is doing the route?
I'm waiting for a special order car part via FedEx, and it was supposed to arrive yesterday also, but local parts store said FedEx didn't deliver it either.

Monday, 6/5/2023
2:49 AM
In transit
TROUTDALE, OR
2:50 PM
In transit
TROUTDALE, OR
Tuesday, 6/6/2023
12:00 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
TROUTDALE, OR
Wednesday, 6/7/2023
4:54 AM
At local FedEx facility
TROUTDALE, OR
4:55 AM
TROUTDALE, OR
4:56 AM
Shipment arriving On-Time
TROUTDALE, OR
5:02 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
TROUTDALE, OR
12:37 PM
Delivery exception
Recipient location security delay. Delivery will be reattempted.
TROUTDALE, OR
12:38 PM
Delay
Package delayed
TROUTDALE, OR
4:41 PM
TROUTDALE, OR
Thursday, 6/8/2023
1:13 AM
At local FedEx facility
TROUTDALE, OR
1:14 AM
TROUTDALE, OR
1:20 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
TROUTDALE, OR

Rockingkj
06-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Reminds me of Christmas when NORAD is tracking Santa. Hope the sleigh comes soon with the present.

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 03:32 PM
Reminds me of Christmas when NORAD is tracking Santa. Hope the sleigh comes soon with the present.

Success! The gun finally made it here, and it's nicer than pictures showed! All in fantastic shape and well done. Surprised to find it is built on an original Remington Sporting Rifle action, with the longer lower tang, and it's original serial number. I was expecting a nicely reworked old Military action, not this.
One small issue was the windage globe front sight was missing. Looked all over in the packing, and it was AWOL. Called the seller, and he was sure it was on the gun. But he called right back and told me he found it in the bottom of his safe, and is sending it today. So all is well soon!

https://i.imgur.com/GqofGXBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jXhgvnSl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JH61wEjl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MmiH7nml.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XDORYBLl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qvZr1MGl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UnDHpMKl.jpg

I have a nice long range vernier for the rear in my parts, so that will be too much rear sight, but better to have more than not enough.
There are no markings anywhere to indicate who built the rifle, or barrel, so a mystery still. Buttplate is a Remington hard rubber. Bore is like new and very unique rifling! It's likely around 12 lands and grooves, which is amazing for a .32-40, or even a larger bore. Haven't seen this before on a barrel?
I can finally sleep well!

Brimstone
06-08-2023, 04:12 PM
The lever to close the rotating block makes sense now, to breech seat the .32-40 much like a Stevens.

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 04:45 PM
The lever to close the rotating block makes sense now, to breech seat the .32-40 much like a Stevens.

Yes, more leverage to seat the case, or extract a sticky case.

Mk42gunner
06-08-2023, 04:55 PM
You are correct, the first pictures did not do that rifle justice.

I hope it shots as good as it looks for you.

Robert

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 05:12 PM
You are correct, the first pictures did not do that rifle justice.

I hope it shots as good as it looks for you.

Robert

If it doesn't, I'll be surprised. This rifle was really built by a true craftsman! Just wish I knew who?

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 05:49 PM
The false muzzle off of the barrel. First I've seen with an aluminum knurled collar on it?

Found the set trigger adjustment too! It's on the back of the trigger, just below the tang.

https://i.imgur.com/HlxqXa3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qKCxP4Ol.jpg

Rockingkj
06-08-2023, 06:03 PM
That’s just super! What a rifle!

marlinman93
06-08-2023, 08:52 PM
That’s just super! What a rifle!

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. Never know when you buy something based on pictures sent.

Rockingkj
06-08-2023, 09:05 PM
True the original pics left a lot to the imagination. But doubt you could imagine it was this nice! Look forward to shooting report.

koger
06-08-2023, 10:10 PM
Oh my Val, what a beauty, and that caliber will be like shooting a .22lr. Congrats all the way around.

Wag
06-09-2023, 06:50 AM
Very nice!

--Wag--

Bigslug
06-09-2023, 09:07 AM
Yowza!

So you've effectively got a Micro Groove barrel, a detachable muzzleloading crown, and a semi-Sharps operating system on a Remington Rolling Block. . . For a collection of answers to questions nobody ever asked, it sure is cool! ;)

A few years back, I started a thread about how the unwashed masses will look at ANY single shot on the bench and ask if it's a .45-70 - - that thing is gonna warp their minds!! LOL

marlinman93
06-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Yowza!

So you've effectively got a Micro Groove barrel, a detachable muzzleloading crown, and a semi-Sharps operating system on a Remington Rolling Block. . . For a collection of answers to questions nobody ever asked, it sure is cool! ;)

A few years back, I started a thread about how the unwashed masses will look at ANY single shot on the bench and ask if it's a .45-70 - - that thing is gonna warp their minds!! LOL

Micro-Groove barrels are a 16 groove, and grooves are very shallow. So somewhat similar, but not really. It's more like a standard bore, but with twice as many lands and grooves, which creates very narrow lands and grooves. Something I've never seen before, and I wonder if this was an attempt to recreate Zettler Bros. rifling, or maybe it is Zettler Bros. rifling? I own a Ballard #6 Zettler Bros. scheutzen rifle in .22 Short that has very similar rifling, but being a .22 it's a bit different.

KenH
06-09-2023, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the photos - that is one NICE rifle. Beautiful wood and really nice case hardening colors.

marlinman93
06-10-2023, 02:32 PM
Some more attempts to find some maker's mark, or notes lead me to remove the buttplate, or at least try to! The buttplate screws came out and this is what I discovered.

https://i.imgur.com/OUhEPJ6l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jbtGo5Pl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QkXQ4lul.jpg

A two piece buttplate! The outer appears to be an original hard rubber buttplate that was milled out, and then the center made to fit into the perimeter! No idea what the purpose of doing it this way was? The buttplate perimeter piece is secured to the wood somehow, so removing the two screws only removes the center filler. There's no parting line showing as the fitment is too close to reveal it's a two piece.

Mk42gunner
06-10-2023, 05:36 PM
Talk about jaw dropping, I'm glad there weren't any flies around when I saw that.

The level of workmanship makes me wonder if the screws you show are the original ones, they just seem to glaring to me.

Robert

Bigslug
06-10-2023, 11:26 PM
Any info stamped on the barrel under the handguard, maybe?

Gotta say, the idea of a roller in .32-40 is really cool. The mechanism is just damned elegant genius.

Funky
06-11-2023, 07:46 AM
Looks Fantastic, the more that I follow this site, the more I realize the less I know. Thank You very much Chris

marlinman93
06-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Any info stamped on the barrel under the handguard, maybe?

Gotta say, the idea of a roller in .32-40 is really cool. The mechanism is just damned elegant genius.

I've had the forearm and buttstock off, and not a single mark anywhere beyond the serial number on the lower tang, and caliber engraving on the barrel. Haven't disassembled the action, and not sure I will unless I had to sometime. So far a mystery, other than someone told me that Farrow made some 12 groove .32-40 barrels back around 1880, and had Bullard do them for him when he worked at Bullard Rifle Co.

marlinman93
06-13-2023, 11:15 AM
Did a little gunsmithing on the Rolling Block yesterday. Overall I love the gun, but hammer mainspring was so strong I could barely cock the hammer with one thumb! I pulled the mainspring and put it on the belt sander to thin it out a little, and round the corners off the spring. Dropped it down to about half as heavy, and still reliably set off primers.

Wayne Smith
06-16-2023, 11:25 AM
Wow! With a mainspring that strong I wonder how often it was shot? That is an absolutely amazing gun.

marlinman93
06-16-2023, 02:47 PM
Wow! With a mainspring that strong I wonder how often it was shot? That is an absolutely amazing gun.

I suspect it was shot a lot prior to the new mainspring being installed. Guessing maybe a 2nd owner had it break, and just put a new spring in it, but never made it lighter.

barnetmill
06-16-2023, 03:29 PM
The false muzzle off of the barrel. First I've seen with an aluminum knurled collar on it?

Found the set trigger adjustment too! It's on the back of the trigger, just below the tang.

https://i.imgur.com/HlxqXa3l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qKCxP4Ol.jpg

So the rifle could loaded with a primed charged case and a bullet was seated with the use of the false muzzle from the muzzle end if I have got that right. There must be a good story behind that. An early concept of the inline muzzle loader.

marlinman93
06-16-2023, 06:31 PM
So the rifle could loaded with a primed charged case and a bullet was seated with the use of the false muzzle from the muzzle end if I have got that right. There must be a good story behind that. An early concept of the inline muzzle loader.

The breech seating-muzzle loading system was the brain storm of one of the finest competitive shooters in the 1800's. Doc Hudson held numerous records, and was a professional shooter who won almost every match he entered back then.
The story goes that he went to see George Schalk, who was also one of the finest barrel makers of the 1800's. Schalk began making target muzzle loading barrels, and later cartridge gun barrels, that were as good as anything ever made. Doc Hudson asked Schalk if he could build him a false muzzle barrel, but thread and chamber it for a cartridge. Schalk thought Hudson was nuts, and refused to do it, but Hudson finally persuaded Schalk to build the barrel. After Hudson began to dominate matches with this system, Schalk asked him to bring the gun back as he had failed to stamp his name on it because he didn't want anyone to know he built it at first. He of course changed his mind when he saw the results Hudson got from it!
Another interesting point was Doc Hudson and Schalk were at a match at the Zetttler Bros. gallery in NY City, where Harry Pope was attending. Hudson introduced Pope to Schalk, and the three men discussed this false muzzle system and Pope was able to examine it. Pope immediately went back to his Hartford shop and began making false muzzle breech seating barrels. He later got more credit for these barrels than Schalk or Hudson, when in reality he simply copied Schalk.

06-16-2023, 09:37 PM
Oh, my........ Has it come in yet?

marlinman93
06-16-2023, 09:48 PM
Oh, my........ Has it come in yet?

Yes, it got here last Thursday.

marlinman93
06-30-2023, 12:49 PM
The rifle came without it's front windage globe sight, which somehow fell off. I contacted the seller who assured me it was on the barrel, but then called me back a couple minutes later to tell me he found it laying on the floor of his safe!
Long story, but he got covid, the sight never got sent, and I finally dug through my old sights and found a correct windage globe sight with the oddball .452" dovetail! Then yesterday I got a text message apologizing for not getting the sight sent, and a tracking number from USPS this morning! So appears I can take my spare off, and put the original on soon!
I slugged the bore yesterday, and it slugged a very large .3275"! I happened to have a Saeco .324" mold that a friend opened the base band for me to .328" to fit my Hepburn Match B rifle that also has a large bore. So I tried muzzle loading the Rolling Block, but my 1:16 ratio bullet is extremely hard to muzzle load down the bore!
I decided to attempt to make up a dummy round of fixed cartridge to see if there was a chance the fat .328" bullet seated in a case could even chamber. I seated it to the top band and it chambered easily! So I used my kinetic puller to get the bullet out further, and began checking OAL it would allow and still chamber. When it finally touched the rifling, and chambered easily it shows two full bands on the Saeco bullet showing. So a very generous lead, and it may shoot as well with fixed cartridges, and not have to muzzle load to shoot it. That would make life easier, and simpler!

marlinman93
07-03-2023, 03:39 PM
Got the missing front globe sight, but it needs parts. Vial in the spirit level is broken, and it measures .140" diameter, and about 1/2"-9/16" long. So need to see if I can find one this small. The aperture is missing, and none of my various spares fit as the material they're made from are all too thick for the thin slit this sight has. Might open it up, but I'll wait to see what I can find first. In the meantime I'll stick with the one I have on it.

country gent
07-04-2023, 11:41 AM
It might be easier to thin the aperture you want to use clean up a small block and tape or glue aperture to it then thin it. use acetone to break bond. Mc Master Carr and other tool vendors sell level vials in various sizes.

marlinman93
07-04-2023, 02:42 PM
It might be easier to thin the aperture you want to use clean up a small block and tape or glue aperture to it then thin it. use acetone to break bond. Mc Master Carr and other tool vendors sell level vials in various sizes.

I think my Lyman apertures are a good OD comparable, and might work. I'd rather open the slot up than have to thin a few apertures, so I'll probably open the slot up.
No luck anywhere with vials this small. Everyone carries vials for levels, or transits that are 3/16" or 1/4". Smallest I found is twice as big.

Bent Ramrod
07-05-2023, 11:03 AM
An “art” glassblower might be able to make you a level vial, and if you could find a glassblower at a University Chem Department willing to work under the table, you should have even better luck. They have racks of glass tubing of all diameters, the glass lathes to put the two location scratches in the center, and the skill to seal the liquid in with flat ends and a small air bubble.

We had a guy at work who put himself through PhD school working in the University glass shop. He made it look so easy!

I always wondered why somebody doesn’t offer an option using India Ink, instead of the clear or light green that picks up and enhances glare when the sun is just “right.” Some white paint in the two scratches and you’d always know where the bubble was.

marlinman93
07-05-2023, 11:14 AM
An “art” glassblower might be able to make you a level vial, and if you could find a glassblower at a University Chem Department willing to work under the table, you should have even better luck. They have racks of glass tubing of all diameters, the glass lathes to put the two location scratches in the center, and the skill to seal the liquid in with flat ends and a small air bubble.

We had a guy at work who put himself through PhD school working in the University glass shop. He made it look so easy!

I always wondered why somebody doesn’t offer an option using India Ink, instead of the clear or light green that picks up and enhances glare when the sun is just “right.” Some white paint in the two scratches and you’d always know where the bubble was.

This spirit level has the white background with two marks built into the housing. So it doesn't need anything added to the vial except liquid. I need to take a picture of the sight and post it, as it's modern, and maybe somebody has one, or recognizes the maker's style sight. It might be an import like Pedersoli or someone whose still building them, and may sell parts?

marlinman93
07-05-2023, 05:33 PM
I found a link to Pedersoli's web site and the sight I have is one of theirs! So no problem getting aperture card, and just sent them a request for the vial since it's not shown on their site.

schutzen-jager
07-09-2023, 08:32 AM
- there is a 6 page write up on the modern conversions in the 2013 guns special spring + summer addition - states that in the 1990's an unnamed manufacturer made these conversion kits + went bankrupt + the kits were sold off to many gunsmiths + black powder firearm manufactures, the Hawken Shop +John King being mentioned - Gun editor Jeff John did one for himself pictured in article -

marlinman93
07-09-2023, 09:49 AM
- there is a 6 page write up on the modern conversions in the 2013 guns special spring + summer addition - states that in the 1990's an unnamed manufacturer made these conversion kits + went bankrupt + the kits were sold off to many gunsmiths + black powder firearm manufactures, the Hawken Shop +John King being mentioned - Gun editor Jeff John did one for himself pictured in article -

Thanks! I'll have to see if I can maybe locate this issue of Guns Magazine and look at the parts and how things are built to see how it compares to my rifle. Of course the 12 groove Farrow false muzzle barrel will still be a mystery on my gun.

schutzen-jager
07-09-2023, 01:06 PM
https://gunsmagazine.com/special-editions/surplus-vintage-classic-firearms/

https://fmgpubs.com/product/guns-magazine-2013-surplus-firearms-special-edition-pdf/

contact them, they sell some older magazines -

so many different smiths building them that none are the same, not unusual for barrel + other accessory variations due to intended use -

marlinman93
07-09-2023, 06:01 PM
I may have to contact them and ask about this particular edition as I didn't see it listed? Might be a "special edition" and not on their lists?
The barrel on my under lever is a real puzzler as my research, and contacts with some high end barrel makers, and gunsmiths have all resulted in them telling me nobody has made a 12 groove barrel that they've ever heard of in modern times.
Both W. Milton Farrow rifles, and Bullard rifles when he was an officer at Bullard had his 12 groove barrels, but after Farrow and Bullard both went out of business nobody picked up the 12 groove rifled bores.

schutzen-jager
07-10-2023, 08:02 AM
the second link i posted enables you to purchase a PDF version for $4.00 if they do not have a hard copy -

marlinman93
07-10-2023, 06:38 PM
the second link i posted enables you to purchase a PDF version for $4.00 if they do not have a hard copy -

Maybe I'm missing something? I don't see anything in the 2nd link that includes the article on the Gove conversions that the magazine did in the original post you showed? The 2nd link appears to be all about "surplus firearms", and classic weapons, not the Gove kits?

schutzen-jager
07-11-2023, 06:59 AM
that is the issue it is in - fine print at bottom { plus much more ] -

marlinman93
07-11-2023, 03:05 PM
that is the issue it is in - fine print at bottom { plus much more ] -

I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, as nothing on the cover of that issue shows anything about the Gove underlever kits? And the various articles listed below don't mention it either?

The link is to:

GUNS MAGAZINE 2013 SURPLUS FIREARMS SPECIAL EDITION PDF

schutzen-jager
07-27-2023, 02:57 PM
on pages 28 + 29 in the 2020 Gun Digest is short mention + 2 pictures of them - recall reading in the past the rational explaining the lever was the Remingtons were cheaper than the Sharps, Ballard, + etc. , but market hunters in the field were losing game because the tab on the roller did not have enough leverage to chamber many times field reloaded cartridges - the under lever provided extra leverage to chamber them -

marlinman93
10-16-2023, 09:37 PM
Set trigger quit working at our long range shoot a couple weeks ago. I kept shooting un-set as the trigger is still pretty nice. Tried to back the adjusting screw out, but the pin on the end of the screw was stuck, and it snapped off!
When I got home I removed the trigger and had to drill the tiny pin out, and then punch the rest of it out of the trigger. Ordered a new adjusting screw from Numrich, and it arrived today.
Started taking the action apart to install the trigger, and ended up having to tear it completely apart to do so. It got really ugly as this is way different than any standard #1 Roller! Lots of little pins, links, screws, springs, etc., and it has to come apart in steps to remove parts.
Took 5 hours to get it apart, and back together. Then about 10 tries to keep shortening the trigger adjusting screw until it worked right. The pin portion of the screw was too long and when set correctly the screw had one thread into the trigger. Had to keep removing more metal off the pin until I got it short enough that it has about 5 threads into the trigger when set right. Put some blue Loctite on it then, and reinstalled it, so it wont change adjustment on it's own! But it is back to working great, and hope I never take this action completely apart again!

barnetmill
10-16-2023, 09:48 PM
Set trigger quit working at our long range shoot a couple weeks ago. I kept shooting un-set as the trigger is still pretty nice. Tried to back the adjusting screw out, but the pin on the end of the screw was stuck, and it snapped off!
When I got home I removed the trigger and had to drill the tiny pin out, and then punch the rest of it out of the trigger. Ordered a new adjusting screw from Numrich, and it arrived today.
Started taking the action apart to install the trigger, and ended up having to tear it completely apart to do so. It got really ugly as this is way different than any standard #1 Roller! Lots of little pins, links, screws, springs, etc., and it has to come apart in steps to remove parts.
Took 5 hours to get it apart, and back together. Then about 10 tries to keep shortening the trigger adjusting screw until it worked right. The pin portion of the screw was too long and when set correctly the screw had one thread into the trigger. Had to keep removing more metal off the pin until I got it short enough that it has about 5 threads into the trigger when set right. Put some blue Loctite on it then, and reinstalled it, so it wont change adjustment on it's own! But it is back to working great, and hope I never take this action completely apart again!

Wow, I am glad you finally got it working.

marlinman93
10-17-2023, 12:45 AM
Wow, I am glad you finally got it working.

Me too!
One of the toughest single shot actions I've had the "pleasure" to tear down. Surely much more complicated than the Rolling Block that spawned this rifle!

quack1
10-17-2023, 08:03 AM
Some more attempts to find some maker's mark, or notes lead me to remove the buttplate, or at least try to! The buttplate screws came out and this is what I discovered.

https://i.imgur.com/OUhEPJ6l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jbtGo5Pl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QkXQ4lul.jpg

A two piece buttplate! The outer appears to be an original hard rubber buttplate that was milled out, and then the center made to fit into the perimeter! No idea what the purpose of doing it this way was? The buttplate perimeter piece is secured to the wood somehow, so removing the two screws only removes the center filler. There's no parting line showing as the fitment is too close to reveal it's a two piece.

That is a common plastic Remington buttplate used on several rifle models in the past 20-30 years. The mounting screws have been replaced on yours, the originals were blued Phillips head. The base piece was also held on with two of the same type screws. You can see the two countersunk holes in your base where they went. I have no idea why Remington went from a simple one piece plastic plate with two screws to a most likely more expensive two piece plate with four screws. I trashed a bunch of those two piece plates when installing recoil pads for customers.

marlinman93
10-17-2023, 11:26 AM
That is a common plastic Remington buttplate used on several rifle models in the past 20-30 years. The mounting screws have been replaced on yours, the originals were blued Phillips head. The base piece was also held on with two of the same type screws. You can see the two countersunk holes in your base where they went. I have no idea why Remington went from a simple one piece plastic plate with two screws to a most likely more expensive two piece plate with four screws. I trashed a bunch of those two piece plates when installing recoil pads for customers.

Interesting! I've never encountered any two piece Remington buttplates in my life, and didn't know they even existed?

pull the trigger
11-19-2023, 11:13 AM
If you ever have this apart again, I'd love to see a picture of the lever/block. I am completely in love with this roller, I've always found them interesting, but this is way over the top.

marlinman93
11-19-2023, 11:30 AM
If you ever have this apart again, I'd love to see a picture of the lever/block. I am completely in love with this roller, I've always found them interesting, but this is way over the top.

Will do! I really should have taken pictures while it was apart anyway, just so I'd have them. Other than the spur removed from the block, and a slot cut in the bottom of the block for the square operating rod to connect block to lever, it's the same as any standard Sporting Rifle's block. The majority of the modifications are found on the trigger plate with slot cut for the lever, and various holes cross drilled for pivot pin, and other pieces.

pull the trigger
11-28-2023, 07:59 AM
I was assuming the lever was attached directly to the block, I hadn't considered linkage in there.

marlinman93
11-28-2023, 08:45 PM
I was assuming the lever was attached directly to the block, I hadn't considered linkage in there.

It's basically a short piece of square stock maybe 3/16" square and an inch long. The block is modified with a cut through the lower part and a pin through the block to attach the link to the block, and another pin to attach the off end to the lever.
The only weakness I see is the trigger plate modification. It has a rectangle hole cut through the trigger plate to allow for the lever to pass through it. I could see if someone stuck a case in the chamber and put too much pressure on the lever to try to extract a well stuck case that the trigger plate could flew and even bend at some point.
Of course knowing this would just make most guys not force the lever open, and chance bending the trigger plate.

xtriggerman
02-14-2024, 04:13 PM
This was all an interesting read. Next time I open up one of my rollers, I'll look into a poor mans conversion with common parts. Now that should be a fun project. Thanks for posting this journey mm93. Using various common parts to improve a particular design function is the coolest of all projects. Her's one I did a number of years ago. On the other side of the spectrum but way, way different than whats out there. One of my one of's.
https://i.imgur.com/VIuBRwlh.jpg

Rockindaddy
02-14-2024, 08:31 PM
Hey Marlin: You really found a dandy! You ought to take it to the Quigley Shoot this June. The Remington Rolling Block shooters would all be scratchin their heads after seeing that custom 32-40 lever/roller! Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

marlinman93
02-15-2024, 12:52 PM
Hey Marlin: You really found a dandy! You ought to take it to the Quigley Shoot this June. The Remington Rolling Block shooters would all be scratchin their heads after seeing that custom 32-40 lever/roller! Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

I think the .32-40 on any rifle would be a huge disadvantage at the Quigley shoot. It would likely be a novelty, but wouldn't be my choice for long range shooting. I took it to our annual long range shoot last October and shot it at the 450 yd. dinger and it did quite well. Great accuracy and the 170 gr. loads were fine for 450 yds. But I think a heavy bullet in a .38-55 is marginal for most shooters at the Q, and better to have a .40 or .45 caliber with a much heavier bullet to be able to do well. Especially in the hands of a duffer like me. I need all the help I can get, not to toss any road blocks into my shooting.