PDA

View Full Version : Silicone question

georgerkahn
05-31-2023, 07:25 PM
I have used silicone impregnated cloths "forever" to wipe down my firearms. Here's my question: I just bought some Amsoil silicone spray, with my thoughts to use it on (steel) Stihl chainsaw bars to keep them shiny and rust free. BUT -- the label on can indicates NOT for use on metal. 314629 314630 I'm dumbfounded, and after too many hours Googling to get an answer why -- including the Amsoil site -- I got no answers/reasons.
I reckoned with all the smarter-than-genius folks on this site...(I'm being serious!)...one might know the reason(s) why their label is as such; and, what might happen to metal if I spray it on?
Thanks much!
geo

BLAHUT
05-31-2023, 07:39 PM
Don't know what will happen with this product, must be some additive, talk to amsoil and get a product safety sheet, that may tell you ??

imashooter2
05-31-2023, 07:44 PM
Possibly it isn’t damaging to metal, but it doesn’t really lubricate it either.

Kriek
06-01-2023, 05:41 AM
A lot of these types of sprays have solvents in it that may damage polymers. I think the label may just be a little misleading and they are trying to say it is polymer safe.

But maybe just test it on a non-critical piece of steel before going all-out with it.

Sent from my BV9900E using Tapatalk

schutzen-jager
06-01-2023, 07:49 AM
only thing i can think of is it penetrates + contaminates anything it is applied to + is almost impossible to remove - i also believe that most lubricants will not properly adhere to silicone treated metal surfaces - it drives body shops crazy trying to do paint repairs on Vehicules that had finishes treated with silicone -

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?456647-Gun-Storage

JimB..
06-01-2023, 07:56 AM
The can doesn’t say that it is not for metal surfaces, just that it is for non-metal surfaces. It’s fine.

waksupi
06-01-2023, 01:23 PM
I use it on my camper doors. Works well, but doesn't last long.

GregLaROCHE
06-01-2023, 02:10 PM
I like silicone spray for plastic and rubber. When I once tried it on metal I wasn’t impressed. It didn’t last long at all. I think you can find something better for a chainsaw bar. Why not wipe it down with chain oil on a a rag or paper towel. Otherwise there’s always WD40.

Rapier
06-01-2023, 04:15 PM
I was told to use silicone spray on my main gate, double 12' leaf, actuators. "Does not last long" is an understatement, max is 30 days. Seems like I spray them every time I turn around. Go out and in every day for the mail, so notice when they get slow.

County helped a lot, put down 1 mile of gravel made of crushed concrete. Now we get fogged with powdered lime dust, by every vehicle that goes by makes a white powder storm. I figure they cut my gate actuator and gate hinge hinge life by about 50%

georgerkahn
06-01-2023, 07:15 PM
I like silicone spray for plastic and rubber. When I once tried it on metal I wasn’t impressed. It didn’t last long at all. I think you can find something better for a chainsaw bar. Why not wipe it down with chain oil on a a rag or paper towel. Otherwise there’s always WD40.

Here we go :) :) :) GregLaROCHE: I stopped at an auto parts store and viewed a spray can of 100% Silicone marketed by CRC. Guess what? On the can it makes no mention of not to use on metal -- but it severely warns against using on plastic. Sadly, I left can in garage, but hope to take a photo -- just for you :) -- tomorrow so you, too, can view it.
IS THIS CRAZY, or what? SAME product..... figure....
geo

WRideout
06-01-2023, 09:05 PM
If it is just to keep things shiny and rust free, WD 40 works as well as anything. It is a lousy lubricant, it was originally made as a coating that is intended to wear off. When I was a teenager, just a few years ago, I worked in an industrial hardware store. One of the employees would regularly spray down the tools and sockets hanging on the pegboard, and they stayed very shiny.

Wayne

GregLaROCHE
06-02-2023, 04:34 AM
Here we go :) :) :) GregLaROCHE: I stopped at an auto parts store and viewed a spray can of 100% Silicone marketed by CRC. Guess what? On the can it makes no mention of not to use on metal -- but it severely warns against using on plastic. Sadly, I left can in garage, but hope to take a photo -- just for you :) -- tomorrow so you, too, can view it.
IS THIS CRAZY, or what? SAME product..... figure....
geo

I believe what you say. Different companies probably use different vehicles to transport the silicon molecules, whatever they are, to where they are intended to be used. The can you looked at probably used a vehicle that would soften or melt some plastics. What were the the suggested uses for it?

jonp
06-02-2023, 04:43 AM
I have used silicone impregnated cloths "forever" to wipe down my firearms. Here's my question: I just bought some Amsoil silicone spray, with my thoughts to use it on (steel) Stihl chainsaw bars to keep them shiny and rust free. BUT -- the label on can indicates NOT for use on metal. 314629 314630 I'm dumbfounded, and after too many hours Googling to get an answer why -- including the Amsoil site -- I got no answers/reasons.
I reckoned with all the smarter-than-genius folks on this site...(I'm being serious!)...one might know the reason(s) why their label is as such; and, what might happen to metal if I spray it on?
Thanks much!
geo

I don't think that is what the label is saying. It is formulated for non metal surfaces but does not say to refrain from using it on metal or does the back say something else?

Cast10
06-02-2023, 09:13 AM
I use Barricade for coating metal parts. It lays a spray down that dries and coats the metal.

georgerkahn
06-02-2023, 05:50 PM
GregLaROCHE - I hobbled out to garage and took photos. Yup, you can read in bold white letters, ALL in BOLD Caps: "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTIC", which is printed following that it "Lubricates metal." It claims to be "100% Silicone". Same ingredient as the Amsoil (also 100% Silicone) which purports it to be OK on plastic but verboten vis metals. ?????
314681 314682
geo

GregLaROCHE
06-03-2023, 04:14 AM
I think I have two different cans on the shelf over my workbench. I used to use it a lot until I realized it didn’t last that long. I’ll have a look to see what the cans say next time I’m there. I wouldn’t be surprised if they both say different things.