PDA

View Full Version : I own one of Jack O'Connor's shotguns. Maybe.

Idaho45guy
05-31-2023, 04:34 AM
So, my dad passed last week and left me his gun collection, or what was left of it. In the 20+ rifles and shotguns I found, there was one that I had hoped he hadn't sold off.

It is a Browning Superposed 12ga that my dad purchased from Lolo Sporting Goods in Lewiston, ID for $500 back in the late 60's or early 70's.

He claimed that Jack O'Connor was given the shotgun for promotional purposes and eventually took it down to the local gun shop to sell it on consignment.

My dad was an associate of Jack O'Connor's and had been working on a deal in which he would fly him to Alaska in his plane for a hunt and my dad would get to write an article about it in his weekly column in the Lewiston Tribune.

Jack died before they did the trip.

So, my dad bought the shotgun. He owned it for many years, then sold it to a buddy who I think was named James Brady. He took the shotgun and proceeded to have it engraved in order to honor it's Jack O'Connor roots.

One side of the receiver was engraved with a desert scene to commemorate his bird hunting in Arizona, and the other side for his bird hunting in Idaho.

My dad bought the rifle back some time later for $1500.

He told me that he had been unsuccessful in establishing providence for the shotgun that would prove that it was owned and used by Jack O'Connor.

Still, it is a beautiful gun with an intriguing story and is one that will remain in the family for generations.

armoredman
05-31-2023, 06:24 AM
It is beautiful, sir, and a rich history.

Funky
06-02-2023, 03:37 PM
Looks Great, and a Great story with it. Chris

BLAHUT
06-02-2023, 03:41 PM
Beautiful just beautiful.......

Winger Ed.
06-02-2023, 03:44 PM
Wow.

I don't doubt it's history.

Back in the old days, a arms maker would give a gun to one of the famous writers and gun gu-rus to test
and/or write about in one of the gun comic books. Afterwards, they just let them keep it.
It wasn't that big of an expense to them, as well as a tax write off as an advertising expense.
And they got a bunch of (free) advertising that couldn't be bought at any price.

The real famous guys would end up with a bunch of guns over the years, with more coming in over their career.
So one getting sold off like that--- sure.
Once you have a closest full of them,,,,,, each one is 'just another gun' to them.

There was a story in one of the comic books years ago about one company that gave a rifle to one of the real famous writers.
As a new guy prank, they later sent some young fella over to ask for it back.
The writer's reaction was a better show show than going to a traveling Mississippi tent revival.
And yeah, everybody got a good laugh, and he kept the gun.

jim 44-40
06-02-2023, 09:16 PM
Turkish Walnut stock? Sure is a handsome shotgun

Tall
06-03-2023, 06:43 PM
We are probably the last generation of folks who might recognize Jack O'Connor. Nice shotgun. I hope you use it.

Frank V
06-26-2023, 10:32 PM
That was a different era! I miss it.

gc45
06-27-2023, 12:51 AM
I used to go there often as a little kid with my Dad. Growing up it was my favorite gun store.

WILCO
06-27-2023, 07:09 PM
Wonderful heirloom!

Legion489
10-24-2023, 06:31 PM
Yup, the gun companies would give Big Name movie stars and writers stuff for them to get the maker's name in front of the public. John Wayne was given a Winchester lever action, and the publicity guy noted John seemed pis...er... not happy. So he asked John what the problem was. "ANOTHER rifle! I'm sick of getting rifles!" "So what do you want?" "I want a 1200 to shoot!" So the guy takes all sorts of photos of John with the rifle, the others with John and the rifle, etc., etc. and then got a 1200 Winchester for John and got John's new rifle in exchange. They were both happy about it. No idea now what the guy did with his "John Wayne Rifle", but it would probably be worth a bit of money now.