PDA

View Full Version : Black powder measure with drop tubes

schofieldbob
05-28-2023, 10:37 PM
I'm trying to cut down on the number of reloading things I bring back and forth to AZ in the Winter. Thought I'd find another Lyman 55 Classic BP measure with the drop tubes, but they seem to have dried up. What are my alternatives? Thanks

Green Frog
05-31-2023, 09:35 AM
You can tart with a standard Lyman #55. You may still be able to get a replacement brass reservoir from Buffalo Arms and put it on that standard unit. You might also check with them for the longer drop tubes.
Failing that, I’d seek out an old fashioned plumbing supply store and see what I could adapt. Basically, you just need to accomplish two things, eliminate any plastic and increase the length of the powder drop tube.
Froggie

Brimstone
05-31-2023, 10:08 AM
Made mine from hardware store steel tube. Fitted to my 50s era Lyman 55. Works just peachy.

I flared it with a socket, a random spare. I annealed the tube, used a screw to fix the socket to an oak board and hammered the socket into the tube until the desired external diameter was attained. I turned the slightly over sized exterior of the flare down to fit. Painted it black.

If you have a spare short drop tube you might try using that as a sleeve for an arrow shaft.

Kevin Rohrer
06-01-2023, 07:11 PM
Quick-Measure makes one for BP; it is brass.

schofieldbob
06-02-2023, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the responses.