PDA

View Full Version : Fluxing the melt while you stir

No_1
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
The other night I was fluxing the melt before I began casting when I looked over and saw a pile of paint stirring sticks I got from Lowe's. The light bulb went off so I tried one. It is a great way to flux while you stir the melt and the best thing is they are FREE!

Robert

Tom Herman
02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
They should work well, and not scratch the side of an aluminum pot like my Pro-Melt. I'm currently using the back side of a stainless steel steak knife.
The only question I have is if the stick absorbs wood, and has to be *slowly* inserted into the melt...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

oneokie
02-09-2009, 09:21 PM
They should work well, and not scratch the side of an aluminum pot like my Pro-Melt. I'm currently using the back side of a stainless steel steak knife.
The only question I have is if the stick absorbs wood (do you mean WATER)?, and has to be *slowly* inserted into the melt...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Yes, the stick will absorb some moisture, or my stirring sticks do, but I cast in an open shed. Slow is good.

454PB
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Tom, I doubt that your Pro-melt has an aluminum pot.

Topper
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Just about every other visit to Lowes I pick a couple of large paint sticks.
Great for fluxing.

j20owner
02-10-2009, 03:04 AM
HeHe, that's what I was using this weekend. It worked really good. Smelled good, too.

357maximum
02-10-2009, 03:25 AM
I have shot a recurve/longbow for quite a long time. I have an excess quantity of bulk cedar shafting that did not quite make the cut. Port orford cedar sure smells good as you stir, and it works well too boot.

Wayne Smith
02-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Just don't use a used paint stick. It takes forever to burn off the paint. That's some good stuff I'm putting on the walls!

j20owner
02-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Just don't use a used paint stick. It takes forever to burn off the paint. That's some good stuff I'm putting on the walls!

We cut the painted end off. [smilie=l:

cajun shooter
02-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Tom, You must have purchased a bad Pro-Melt as mine has a SS tub. I use the wood shavings from Pat Marlin and it smells so good that I'm sure I'm using too much and doing it too often.

mtgrs737
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't think that aluminum would be the right metal for a lead pot, we here have been warning folks not to use aluminum pots for a long time. Aluminum tends to fracture and spill it's contents with repeated heatings. Most likely your pot metal is stainless steel.

Marshal Kane
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't think that aluminum would be the right metal for a lead pot,. . . Most likely your pot metal is stainless steel.

It's my understanding too that the Pro-Melt pot is made of stainless. Aluminum would be unsuitable.

kendall yates
02-18-2009, 07:54 AM
you guys are very smart when it comes to finding the tools that you need.

armyrat1970
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
More of and added benefit to fluxing than some may think, Check out this site:
http://www.sixguns.com/crew/simplefluxing.htm

Paul
05-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I gona make my lead Paint stiring sticks out of Hickory, and try that. !!

Paul

imashooter2
05-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Whenever I'm in the home center I ask for a couple of the thicker and longer commercial sticks they keep behind the counter for the 5 gallon buckets. They hold up much better and they're just as free.

Bret4207
05-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Been using paint sticks for years. They make good shims and garden markers too.

DLCTEX
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
More of and added benefit to fluxing than some may think, Check out this site:
http://www.sixguns.com/crew/simplefluxing.htm

Sixguns site says I don't have permission to access. What are they mad at me about?
Oh yeah, I think that's the site that is no longer in service according to another thread.

dominicfortune00
05-04-2009, 11:31 PM
They must be mad at me also.

jsizemore
05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I use a piece of fat light wood or lighter pine. Enough pine sap in there to keep moisture out and put some pine resin in for fluxing. I can get it all the way to the bottom of the pot. I don't know if it makes a difference but it sure smells good.

Leadforbrains
05-06-2009, 07:11 PM
I use a piece of fat light wood or lighter pine. Enough pine sap in there to keep moisture out and put some pine resin in for fluxing. I can get it all the way to the bottom of the pot. I don't know if it makes a difference but it sure smells good.

I do the exact same thing, and it works great. The smell aint so bad either.
The last camping trip down to S.C. I got some extra.:drinks: