PDA

View Full Version : Learn casting with 45acp or 9mm?

JimB..
05-27-2023, 10:57 AM
Any reason to pick one over the other to teach a new guy?

Winger Ed.
05-27-2023, 11:08 AM
Not really.

I started with .45ACP because that's what I had to shoot 'em in.:bigsmyl2:

Which ever one you go to, I'd encourage using a taper crimp die and not the roll crimp feature
most dies include. I seat and crimp on separate steps.

Also, depending on if you lube or powder coat-
watch for lube accumulating in the seater die. It will throw off your OAL if it cakes up in it.

hades
05-27-2023, 11:10 AM
I'd just go after the one you shoot the most. Or the one that would save you the most money and allow you to shoot it more.

45 is such a big fat bullet that it's an easy cast and easy cartridge to load for.

I read about all the 9mm troubles and how picky they can be with cast. Being relatively new to 9mm for the last years or so I was a little apprehensive but in 3 guns and 3 different cast bullets they all worked great and it turned out to be just as easy as 45acp for me.

Dusty Bannister
05-27-2023, 11:12 AM
Just from the learning to cast aspect, the big fat 45 cal might be easier. But for just getting started reloading cast bullets in the semi auto pistols, one might progress better after studying this thread. Sort of an odd topic for the number of posts and time on the forum.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121607-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Der Gebirgsjager
05-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Coincidence, I guess that this thread was located just under the one about loading .38 Spec. wadcutters. For me, and my generation of shooters, if you were to become a boolit caster that was the place to start. .38 wadcutters were/are easy to cast and can be done so in great quantity-- necessary if you were a target shooter. I've got a iron 8 cavity mold stampted "RCPD"(Redwood City Police Dept.)(CA) that will satisfy the quantity requirement. It has cast a vast number of boolits and is still in great condition. There's still nothing wrong with the .38 Special for casting and shooting fun.

DG

mdi
05-27-2023, 01:14 PM
I cast for both 45 ACP, and 9mm. I started with a Lyman 225 gr. RN mold for the 45 and I started getting good performance right off the bat. I believe the 45 ACP round is more forgiving, easier. I started reloading for 9mm with a Lee 125 gr. RF. It took a while to find a combination of size, lube, powder, etc. to get a clean shooting load for 2, 9mm pistols. I got good bullets for both, but good performance was attained much quicker with the 45 ACP. (Fat and slow vs light and fast?). As for the casting, there isn't a lot of difference between the two.

dannyd
05-27-2023, 01:52 PM
Out of 56 moulds the one I like best to cast with is a 6 cavity Lee 200 SWC for 45 ACP. Big bullets are just so easy to cast. :)

MT Gianni
05-27-2023, 02:11 PM
If your just learning to cast there is no difference. If you're shooting them too, as a new reloader to cast, then the 9 with it's higher pressure is a 3rd year college class. The 45 is a first year shop class in middle school.

JimB..
05-27-2023, 06:16 PM
Thanks all, to clarify this is just about casting and not reloading, plenty of that experience with both cast and jacketed. I was thinking 45 because it’s easier to keep the mold at temp when going slow.

38spcl WC is also a great idea, but I don’t think I have a mold. I know, I'm showing my, young relative to this group, age.

dannyd
05-27-2023, 06:27 PM
Please remember casting can become addictive:)

country gent
05-27-2023, 06:31 PM
While i wont recommend one over the other, They both cast well in good moulds. What I do recommend is which ever mould you start with stay with it and what it takes to make good bullets then switch to the other. Once you get the basics down heat cadence prep and set up then the next will be easier to run, and the next and the next and the next.

pworley1
05-27-2023, 07:01 PM
I would start with the 45.

ShooterAZ
05-27-2023, 07:29 PM
The 45ACP is probably the most easy pistol caliber to cast and load for. The 38 Special is a close second.

dondiego
05-27-2023, 07:58 PM
The 45ACP is probably the most easy pistol caliber to cast and load for. The 38 Special is a close second.

I'll reverse that statement and call 38 spl first and the 45 ACP/Rim second. I hate to load 9 MM.

justindad
05-27-2023, 09:00 PM
I would start with the 45-230-RN from RCBS. I have an NOE version of that H&G 34 clone. The round nose fills out easy and the sharp edge at the end of the driving band is a good indicator for proper fill out. I say RCBS because I like iron.

DocSavage
05-27-2023, 09:19 PM
45 acp,230 gr round nose and any number of pistol/shotgun powders. If shooting a revolver add 35 Auto Rim to the list.

justindad
05-28-2023, 06:27 AM
Round nose, round lube groove, single lube groove, plain base make for easier mold release. Less frustration for the student.

243winxb
05-28-2023, 06:56 AM
Iron molds over Lee is first choice. Lyman, RCBS, Saeco. 9 or 45, no difference casting.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/casting-bullets.310/

georgerkahn
05-28-2023, 07:32 AM
Coincidence, I guess that this thread was located just under the one about loading .38 Spec. wadcutters. For me, and my generation of shooters, if you were to become a boolit caster that was the place to start. .38 wadcutters were/are easy to cast and can be done so in great quantity-- necessary if you were a target shooter. I've got a iron 8 cavity mold stampted "RCPD"(Redwood City Police Dept.)(CA) that will satisfy the quantity requirement. It has cast a vast number of boolits and is still in great condition. There's still nothing wrong with the .38 Special for casting and shooting fun.

DG

I sooooooo agree!!!

Bigslug
05-28-2023, 09:20 AM
As far as pouring the bullets goes, I don't really think so. More heat goes into a .45 mold with each pour, but since every mold has its own pacing you need to learn, that aspect is probably a coin toss.

As far as loading, the 9mm throws more problematic curve balls (which this forum has the stickied threads providing instruction on how to address). If your student is the sort to get scared off by minutiae, start with .45. Otherwise, the 9mm may have more to teach.

gwpercle
05-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Reloading the 45 ACP with cast lead , plated , coated or J-word is like taking a walk in the park on a nice sunny day with your beat girl ... who enjoy's kissing you .

Loading the 9mm Luger ... untill you learn all the confounding idiosyncrasies ... is about as much fun as a Root Canal without Novacane ... getting beat with a large stick ... !

The 9mm Luger , with cast boolits is a Stinker ... and will give you trouble at every turn .
If not for tips , hints and directions from fellow members I would have given up loading the 9mm with lead .. I actually said curse words at this confounded tapered cased pain in the butt ... I gave up twice but on the 3rd try ... got a load that worked with 4 different 9mm lugers owned by myself , son and friend . It wasn't easy !!!

I just noticed the OP's question was not about reloading ... but about casting boolits . My Bad ... I jumped the gun again .
Thinking about that ... shorter fatter 45's are no easier or more difficult than smaller diameter 38 / 9mm's ... pretty much a wash ...but I think I might enjoy casting 45 's a little more than 9mm's . I have a Lyman double cavity #452460 that is a pleasure to use ...but I have a 4 cavity NOE 358-124-TC GC 9mm mould that I really enjoy using too ... so it's a wash ... 45 / 38-9mm , six of one , half a dozen of the other .
Gary

Bird
05-28-2023, 12:49 PM
I have been reloading for 35 years, and just started on the 9mm, and my first auto pistol. Loading for the 9mm has been the most challenging so far. I would guess if you teach someone to load for the 9mm they would learn a lot of useful points that should enable them to load just about anything.

243winxb
05-28-2023, 04:40 PM
9mm loading is easy with RCBS dies.
1. Carbide die retains the taper of the brass.
2. The expander is M type.
3. 2 seating stems to fit most bullets.

Cast bullet diameter needs to be smaller then throat. Short COL may be needed.
Alloy needs a bit of linotype added.

JimB..
05-28-2023, 06:17 PM
I started loading 9mm on a SDB, then switched to a 650. I’ve loaded more of it than any other caliber, by far. Past few days I loaded two 50cal ammo cans worth and tomorrow I’ll load 1k 147gr subs for the AR SBR and 1k 90gr JHPs for practice with the p365. I’m pretty comfortable with reloading 9mm, both cast and jacketed.

Same with 45acp, 38spcl, and 357mag although volumes of those are half. Actually don’t think I’ve loaded 38/357 on the 650 yet, went nuts and loaded several cans of each before selling the SDB.

I load .223 on the 650, but 357max, 45-70, 41mag, 41spcl, 44mag, 44spcl, 45LC and probably some others on the single stage. I do really like RCBS carbide pistol dies.

I almost always start people reloading 45acp, it’s easy to see in the case, the bullets are easy to handle, and the pile grows fast bringing a smile to their face.

Anyway, question was about casting and I’ve decided on a 230gr RN since I have an iron 2 banger that drops easy. Now to clean up some space and the tools before the party starts.

Thanks again all.