PDA

View Full Version : WW's hard to get in my neck of the woods

supv26
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I have now been able to stop at several different places looking for WW to cast with. Most of the places re-use their weights with the remaining selling them to scrap dealers. I have been told anywhere from $65.00 a bucket to 50 cents per pound for the weights.

I think I'll just wait on some more range scrap as it is a lot more pleasent to smelt than the wheel weights. I have over 300 pounds of ingots stored up now so that should last me a while since all I cast are 230 grain boolits for my .45's.

imashooter2
02-09-2009, 10:34 PM
WW are pretty much unavailable here as well. I've been living on indoor range scrap for a few years now. The stuff I get is way worse to smelt than WW. The "clean" stuff is loaded with cardboard, wood and other dirt. The dirty stuff has the same crap in it but has been oiled to keep dust down and it takes forever to burn the oil off. If it wasn't the only free / reasonably priced lead I can get, I'd never deal with it again. Here's a picture of the "clean" stuff:

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/scrap600.jpg

supv26
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow that's a mess!!
I failed to indicate that the range scrap I get is from an indoor private range. We have full control over what is shot there.

I have no dirt, wood or dirt to mess with so it is real clean. Just lead and jackets with bits of paper. My last batch I smelted I did get two .40 cal hulls in the mix but they were fired and I caught them before they went into the pot.

Randall
02-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I am in northeast Oklahoma and have the same problem,the tire stores are all reusing their old weights and sell the broke ones to the battery guy.

par0thead151
02-10-2009, 01:39 AM
i got a bunch from a local scrap yard for 20 cents a pound. very glad i bought a lot. wish i had cleaned them out though. oh well hind sight is 2020

RSOJim
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
A 12 pack of adult beverage gets me wheel weights. Anolther place likes pizza's and pepsi. Make an offer and see what happens, they can only say no. You might try this approach. Thanks Jim

imashooter2
02-10-2009, 09:10 AM
The days of trinkets for WW passed me by years ago. Every place around here has a recycling contract. Offering to better the deal goes nowhere. I can buy them from the scrap yard, but near as I can tell they think they're gold, not lead.

So I keep scrounging...

DrNick
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Sounds like it's time to get into the lead recycling 'business' :)

par0thead151
02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
The days of trinkets for WW passed me by years ago. Every place around here has a recycling contract. Offering to better the deal goes nowhere. I can buy them from the scrap yard, but near as I can tell they think they're gold, not lead.

So I keep scrounging...

haggle with the scrap birds... they are flexible on the prices(as long as they did not buy the lead when it was being bought for 40+ cents/#
i bought some for 20 cents a pound, this is the going rate for 1000# or LTL ammounts.
dont pay their inflated prices, others have more reasonable pricing.

RustyFN
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Wow I feel lucky after reading this. I am still getting free WW's from two small tire shops in town. I just picked up two buckets yesterday. I have around 800 pounds in ingots and five buckets waiting to be smelted.
Rusty