PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

long_arm
05-26-2023, 06:29 PM
A scrapper I know sent me this pic asking if I wanted to "buy this lead"..

Is it lead ?
Edit: image removed

1Hawkeye
05-26-2023, 06:33 PM
Looks like framing from stained glass windows if it is it should be pretty pure stuff.

Good Cheer
05-26-2023, 06:38 PM
Yep, stained glass framing is what came to mind.

long_arm
05-26-2023, 07:10 PM
I appreciate your fast replies. Thanks gents.

shell70634
05-26-2023, 10:09 PM
If it's came, the pieces separating the glass, then it probably is pure lead. If it's the U channel that is used to frame the picture, it could be zinc. I've got u channel that won't melt at lead temperatures. U channel holds it's shape, came bends easily.

dondiego
05-27-2023, 01:09 PM
Yep, stained glass framing is what came to mind.

I got it!

gwpercle
05-28-2023, 05:34 PM
If anyone who needs pure lead should check with stained glass craft shops that give lessons to people interested in making stained glass and that sell stained glass supplies .
We have a local shop , lady does custom stained glass , teaches classes to people and sells supplies , My wife and daughter took a couple courses .
The classes , with new students , generate a great deal of waste "came" and most will gladly let you pick it up when their waste bin gets full . I would pick it up for free ... the lady who ran the shop said she didn't like loading it up and driving the 1 hour round trip to scrap yard ... her gas cost more . Someone might like you to take their scrap came off their hands .
It is a good high quality extruded lead and very soft ... I call it pure .
Gary

ulav8r
05-28-2023, 07:53 PM
Stopped at a stained glass shop about a year ago. One of the owners said they had quit using lead several years ago.

uscra112
05-28-2023, 08:33 PM
In my childhood 65 years ago I was taught by an uncle to assemble stained glass. He used copper foil and solder. No lead.

Lead for an outline frame would not be optimal, as it bends so easily.