PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt working loads in modern Ubertis

curioushooter
05-26-2023, 01:24 PM
Are modern Ubertis up to the job of 900-1000 FPS 255 grain cast 45 Colt loads? Does anyone pet loads in this neighborhood?

It seems to me the weak point of the SAA is the narrow chamber walls under the bolt stop cut.

I am a huge fan of the so called Skeeter load in 44special of 255 grain ~ 950 FPS.

jreidthompson1
05-26-2023, 02:05 PM
Yes. Search the site and internet for 45 colt tier 2 loads. There's a good bit of information on these and articles referencing them onsite and on the web

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Char-Gar
05-26-2023, 02:30 PM
The metal in these Italian clones is quite soft. I have had to replace several internal parts in mine. Stick to original loads of 6.5/Bullseye or 8.5/Unique and all will be good, nothing you hit will ever notice the slight loss of velocity. These handguns are not built to be hotrodded.

Kosh75287
05-26-2023, 03:37 PM
How long is the barrel on your revolver?
Alliant lists 15.4/2400/255 gr. Speer LSWC as a maximum load (i.e., creates pressures no higher than SAAMI max average pressure). This load develops 972 f/s from their 5.5", probably unvented test barrel. This is ~100 f/s faster than the original factory load (255 gr. at 860 f/s), which is already quite fierce on the receiving end.
Since Alliant has some apparent religious restriction against publishing date for .45 Colt, used in modern, much stronger firearms than the Pre-WWI Colt Single Action Army revolvers, you'll need to look elsewhere for more emphatic data. Worry not, for such data is fairly easily found.
I ask about your revolver's barrel length, because 2400 burns somewhat slower than, and tends to deliver better velocities than Unique or Red Dot loads, in revolvers that are 5.5" or longer. In no magnum pistol hand load of any caliber have I ever been able to get 2400 to burn completely in a 6" barrel. I have managed to make it burn KINDA completely in my 7.5" .45 Colt caliber Redhawk, and SOMEwhat completely in a 8 & 3/8" barreled .44 Magnum.
The take-away is that IF your revolver's barrel is 5.5" or longer, you might consider starting with 14.6/2400/255 gr. (I use 255 gr. RNFPs) and work up until you reach your desired velocity, or the 15.4/2400/255 gr. maximum (for old guns). If the barrel on your revolver is under 5.5", Alliant's max load might not deliver as much velocity as the 6.5/Red Dot/255 gr. or 8.5/Unique/255 gr. loads. If you were to exceed Alliant's max load by 0.1-0.3 gr. I doubt that your Uberti would immediately become a grenade. BUT, as Char-Gar pointed out, the steel in the Ubertis CAN be on the softer side, so higher pressures mean faster wear, at minimum.

gwpercle
05-26-2023, 05:41 PM
The metal in these Italian clones is quite soft. I have had to replace several internal parts in mine. Stick to original loads of 6.5/Bullseye or 8.5/Unique and all will be good, nothing you hit will ever notice the slight loss of velocity. These handguns are not built to be hotrodded.

:goodpost:
Like !

The Italians do not use any super steels , they are no stroger than a SAA Colt ...
as such , stay with level-1 (Tier 1) Loads .
Take Char-Gar's advice ... he knows !
A 255 gr. SWC - 8.5 grs. Unique will give about 850 fps , that's a heck of a load .
Gary

Kosh75287
05-26-2023, 10:23 PM
I concur with GWPercle. The load I make most often for .45 Colt revolvers is 8.0/Unique/255 RNFP. It clocks 825 + 25 f/s, from most revolvers (the REAL ones, not the .410/.45 Colt miscarriages of gun manufacturing), and seems to shoot very accurately in all of them. MY load is a step down from GWPercle's load, and is probably attendantly lower in pressure. It dispatches coyotes and bobcats quite well, and I would expect it to work similarly on "two-legged" vermin.

Outpost75
05-27-2023, 01:44 PM
The 8.5 Unique load as pressure tested by Larry Gibson exceeds the SAAMI for the .45 Colt and approximates the pressure level of .45 ACP. Still safe, but absolutely a full charge load not to be exceeded. A charge of 7.5 grains of Bullseye performs similarly. I standardized on 7 grains of Bullseye with a 260-grain bullet and find it highly satisfactory. I could never get #2400 to burn completely in .45 Colt loads at safe pressures for the SAA, 15.5 grains, and don t recommend it because unburned powder granules jam up the action.

Stopsign32v
05-27-2023, 03:57 PM
8gr of Unique behind a 250gr is a very pleasant shooting load

justindad
05-27-2023, 05:09 PM
The screws come loose in my Uberti .45 SAA clone when I am near max loads. My Uberti has a proof pressure mark consistent with CIP pressure, which is much less than those tier 2 loads. I once considered putting thread locker on my screws so I could push the pressure up to CIP. I chose not to, because the Engineer at Uberti probably has a reason for not fixing those screws… I know I’ve done things like to protect customers in my machine designs. Besides, once you go above max SAAMI loads, do you really know if you’re exceeding CIP pressures?
Don’t listen to anybody telling you to load these things to a tier 2 pressure, unless they can give you life test data proving the load is safe. Anything besides real life test data is deceit.

jreidthompson1
05-27-2023, 06:01 PM
For what its worth, see the article from Handloader Magazine April/May 2022 and make your own decisions.

.45 Colt +P Medium Frame Sixguns (Pet Loads)

Modern Revolvers Can Increase Performance

Feature By: Brian Pearce | April, 22

It specifically states that Ubertis made since 1990 are safe with the loads in the article. Per the article this is based on

"More than a decade ago, I was hired by a well-known firearms manufacturer to destruction-test sixguns, to determine the pressure level for each that would cause excess stress, damage and ultimately, their destruction (catastrophic failure). The results were truly fascinating. However, when I shared some of those results with a fellow gun writer, he asked, “What are you going to do with that information? You certainly can’t share it with readers.” He was right, because let’s say that a given sixgun has a catastrophic failure at a given pressure, there will always be the occasional handloader that assumes his gun will “be safe” with loads that are just slightly below that figure, which is never correct, as there is virtually no margin of safety! Nonetheless, the above experiments and tests support the information provided herein."

Basically states that these revolvers can handle pressure of 23000psi and provides load data for various bullets/ weights / powders in the article.

BoBSavage
05-27-2023, 06:22 PM
As far as strength is concerned, Uberti offers 45 ACP cylinders for their 45 Colt revolvers. There is no difference in construction from the words of Uberti reps. Cylinder wall thickness is cylinder wall thickness!

The key here is to load the 45 Colt for pressures, not velocity, and deal with what velocity and accuracy that pressure produces. The faster the burn rate of the powder used, the more than likely you are to exceed max pressures before reaching the desired velocity.

From Lyman's 49th manual, pages 389-390.
Settling on a Speer 230gr #4681 swaged lead bullet, there is a published that calls for 9.6gr of Unique that reports 1,028fps at 12,000cup from a 7 1/2" Universal Receiver and a Ruger BlackHawk (1:16" twist..451" groove). THIS LOAD IS NOT VALID WITH THE USE OF ANY OTHER BULLET OR WEIGHT.

Kosh75287
05-27-2023, 06:54 PM
9.6 grains of what? Unique?

justindad
05-27-2023, 07:31 PM
A single cycle failure means that if you cut your pressures by 50% you still risk catastrophic failure later on due to fatigue. A single sample failure says absolutely nothing about lot-to-lot material variations, which can have another significant impact on the safety of a particular load. A .45 Colt case is not a .45ACP case and the difference matters. The mechanics of material failure is way beyond the scope of this forum and the technical writers at Handloader.
Uberti qualifies .45 SAA clones (made in Europe) to the CIP pressure. They understand the fatigue limits and the material & dimensional variances far more than anyone telling you to go to 23ksi.
If you are eager to take bad advice, you risk losing your fingers.

Outpost75
05-27-2023, 07:59 PM
Here is some info which may help. Note velocities are in Contender pistol. Revolver velocity is about 100 fps less.

Stopsign32v
05-27-2023, 08:13 PM
If you're going to ruin a perfectly good Uberti please make sure it isn't an old 4 clicker!

Tall
05-27-2023, 10:03 PM
I used to be in my 20's and was all about maximum velocities and using data from Elmer Keith's writings. Everything I loaded was a maximum velocity load with heaping amounts of 2400.

Somehow I survived all that and now I load for accuracy. At 65 I am more into 45 Colt loads with 7 grains of 231 powder pushing a Berry's plated 250 grain bullet. It's accurate and won't blow up your revolver.

gc45
05-27-2023, 10:29 PM
I used to be in my 20's and was all about maximum velocities and using data from Elmer Keith's writings. Everything I loaded was a maximum velocity load with heaping amounts of 2400.

Somehow I survived all that and now I load for accuracy. At 65 I am more into 45 Colt loads with 7 grains of 231 powder pushing a Berry's plated 250 grain bullet. It's accurate and won't blow up your revolver.

This makes the most sense. Never could understand pushing Uberti anything very hard..The Italian steel is soft, just drill a hole in it some time and you too will know, as least when compared to many other countries products. Would I own a Uberti 45 Colt? yes, but my loads would be tier one only.

Stopsign32v
05-27-2023, 10:52 PM
Someone needs a Ruger 45 Colt

35 Rem
05-28-2023, 12:00 AM
I would say "NO" they are not. I have two Uberti SAA's in 45 Colt both with 4 3/4" barrels. I don't worry about the velocity as I want to shoot safely. I use standard loads for the old Colts and let the velocity fall where it may. My favorite load uses WW 231 and the Lee 255gr RFN and gives 775 ft/sec. The 8.4 gr Unique load under the RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet only results in 675 ft/sec which is a bit of a head scratcher for me but I'm not going to risk blowing up my gun or killing myself to get more. I have a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk when more power is needed.

Larry Gibson
05-28-2023, 10:11 AM
Are modern Ubertis up to the job of 900-1000 FPS 255 grain cast 45 Colt loads? Does anyone pet loads in this neighborhood?

It seems to me the weak point of the SAA is the narrow chamber walls under the bolt stop cut.

I am a huge fan of the so called Skeeter load in 44special of 255 grain ~ 950 FPS.

I have two Uberti SAs; a 5 1/2" Artillery model I've had since the early '90s [it was the featured revolver in a G&A article back then] and a 4 3/4" Evil Roy I got from Gene [Evil Roy]. I also have an Uberti 45 ACP cylinder for the Evil Roy. I've bult several thousand rounds through the Artillery and a thousand or so each of 45 Colt and 45 ACP through the Evil Roy. While I have shot "cowboy" SASS level loads in both they were few and in testing only. For my own pleasure I use "standard" tier I level loads and they give plenty of power in the velocity range you are looking for.

I also have thoroughly pressure tested these loads [Oehler m43 PBL with a Contender test barrel] and while a couple exceed the SAAMI MAP of 14,000 psi none of the 45 Colt loads exceed 18,000 psi. One of the 45 ACP loads [these are my standard loads fo use in my M1911s and my S&W M197/25 revolver] does run close to 19,000 psi. As the loads listed give plenty of power in both Uberti's I find no need to shoot tier II level 45 Colt loads or even +P level 45 ACP loads of 23,000 psi +/-.

My 45 Colt loads;

Lee 452-200-RF [205 gr] cast of softer alloy seated to OAL of 1.557" over 7.3 gr Bullseye in Winchester cases with WLP primer. PSI runs 13,5 - 14,000 psi. Velocity is 975 fps in the Artillery and 944 fps in the Evil Roy. Accuracy is excellent. This load also runs 1200 fps out of my Uberti M73 lever rifle w/20" barrel. With 7.2 gr of 700X the results are identical.

Lee 452-230-TC [235 gr] cast of softer alloy seated to OAL of 1.598" over 7 gr Bullseye in Winchester cases with WLP primer. PSI runs 14,700 psi. Velocity is 890 fps in the Artillery and 855 fps in the Evil Roy. Accuracy is excellent. Runs 1100 fps out of the M73.

Lyman 454190 at OAL 1.600" or 454424 at OAL 1.575" cast of softer alloy over 8.5 gr of Unique [Hercules or Alliant] in Winchester cases with WLP primers. PSI runs 17,5 - 18,000 psi. Velocity runs 853 fps out of the Artillery and 800 fps out of the Evil Roy.

[B]45 ACP loads;

Lee 452-205-SWC (H&G #68 copy) cast with 14 +/- BHN alloy over 5 gr of Bullseye in mixed cases [commercial & milsurp] with WLP primers. PSI runs 16,0 - 17,000 +/-. Velocity runs 872 fps in the Evil Roy. accuracy is excellent. My standard practice load for use in my M1911s.

Lee 452-230-TC cast with BHN of 14+/- over 5 gr of Bullseye in R-P cases with WLP primers. PSI runs 18,7 - 18,900 psi. Velocity runs 866 fps in the Evil Roy.

justindad
05-28-2023, 11:23 AM
Accurate 5744 can get a 255 grain boolit to 1,000 fps with pressures under 14ksi.
https://ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf

TXTad
05-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Here is some info which may help. Note velocities are in Contender pistol. Revolver velocity is about 100 fps less.

Outpost75, I bet these data are interesting, but the images are too small to read.

BoBSavage
05-28-2023, 01:05 PM
Outpost75, I bet these data are interesting, but the images are too small to read.

Click on these two, they should open up a bit bigger

jonp
05-28-2023, 02:44 PM
:goodpost:
Like !

The Italians do not use any super steels , they are no stroger than a SAA Colt ...
as such , stay with level-1 (Tier 1) Loads .
Take Char-Gar's advice ... he knows !
A 255 gr. SWC - 8.5 grs. Unique will give about 850 fps , that's a heck of a load .
Gary

Agreed +1.

curioushooter
05-28-2023, 02:56 PM
FYI Alliant lists 250 grain LSWC with 9.5 grans of unique (https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=3&cartridge=36). If this velocity data is trustworthy then that certainly qualifies as a working load. I'd expect 900 FPS from a 4.5" and cylinder gap.

This is of course a SAAMI load. And therefore 8.5 grains is certainly LESS than full SAAMI pressure. Allliant lists 8.5 grains of unique with a 230 grain LSWC as a "cowboy" load (https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=3&powderid=3&cartridge=15).

All Ubertis are CIP proofed (like other European made arms) and CIP's testing standards seem more rigorous to me than SAAMI. For example in the magnum cartridges the CIP standard still runs at full 40k pressures, not the reduced standards after 1995. My Uberti carries a CIP proof mark.

It is also worth noting that Brian Pearce considers the 44 special Ubertis capable of "class II" loads--more than SAAMI--but less than the Keith type loads. Handloader 312 (Feb-March 2018, page 45). 8.5 grains of unique propel a 250 grain cast LSWC in 44 special to over 1000 FPS (this is a class II load). I would think the same weight bullet in 45 colt would do the same at lower pressure due to the greater surface area/case volume. The "skeeter" load (44 special, 429421, 7.5 grains Unique) is in fact a low-end "class II" load.

Has anyone any real world examples of SAAMI max 45 colt loads actually doing any harm to modern Ubertis?

The most potent SAMMI listed load for 45 colt seems to be Herco with 9.5 grains pushing 250 grain LSWC to over 1000 FPS (https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=6&cartridge=36). It seems odd to me that Unique would be less velocity with the same charge and bullet here, as Herco is a slower powder. Is this erroneous data?

justindad
05-28-2023, 06:50 PM
It seems odd when load manuals do not agree in regards to a max charge for a particular powder and bullet weight. I can’t explain why Herco is giving more velocity than Unique. However, I am quite sure that applying theory without empirical data to confirm said theory is more dangerous than most people are willing to acknowledge. Humility will spare your fingers.
If someone blows up their gun, will Mr. Pearce be held accountable? Would the person be sufficiently embarrassed so as to not post that experience on the internet? I am not willing to put my faith in a mere technical writer when dismemberment is on the line.

Walks
05-28-2023, 11:03 PM
If ya wanna hot load. 45Colt, get a. 44Mag.
You'll never have to separate your loads and worry about wrong ammo in a wrong gun..
I gave up on .45Colt loads hotter then SAAMI Spec a Loong time ago.
My Dad always loaded His Colts a bit lighter then the so called factory equivalent load of 8.5grs Unique under a 255gr #454424 or 9.0grs Unique under a 250gr #454190.
I got better accuracy out of 8.0grs Unique with either bullet for paper punching or busting tin cans.

Besides, everyone that has a Colt SAA or clone should have a Ruger too.

Tall
05-29-2023, 06:26 PM
If ya wanna hot load. 45Colt, get a. 44Mag.

Besides, everyone that has a Colt SAA or clone should have a Ruger too.

I do not agree. The Ruger products are just too shabby for my liking. I've had several over the years and always tired of the industrial looking finish on them. I do agree with the statement of if you want to load hotter then get a 44 Magnum. No question there.

dondiego
05-29-2023, 06:44 PM
I do not agree. The Ruger products are just too shabby for my liking. I've had several over the years and always tired of the industrial looking finish on them. I do agree with the statement of if you want to load hotter then get a 44 Magnum. No question there.

You can always over pay to have the finish look real cool, like with Turnbull, but you can't make a Colt that is as strong and rugged as a Ruger.

Tall
05-29-2023, 07:43 PM
You can always over pay to have the finish look real cool, like with Turnbull, but you can't make a Colt that is as strong and rugged as a Ruger.

OK you can have all of them. I won't be interested.

Iwsbull
05-29-2023, 09:17 PM
Then why chime in, twice.
I know everyone has different opinions as to who they use as a guide, some go strictly by the book and others will follow some of the more popular writers. There also seems to be a bit of mystery around the Italian clones proofing as I have read several different claims. I know a good many people go up to tier 2 and have had no adverse effects so far but that could all change the next shot. Understand your risks.

Tall
05-29-2023, 09:45 PM
Then why chime in, twice.
I know everyone has different opinions as to who they use as a guide, some go strictly by the book and others will follow some of the more popular writers. There also seems to be a bit of mystery around the Italian clones proofing as I have read several different claims. I know a good many people go up to tier 2 and have had no adverse effects so far but that could all change the next shot. Understand your risks.

I have two Uberti's. The one is 44 Special. The other is 44 WCF caliber. Both are loaded for accuracy. Velocity is not important and neither are max loads. I find that what is listed in reloading manuals is useful and usable. The Italians make a great product usually. I do not currently own a Pietta but it might happen.

BoBSavage
05-30-2023, 07:07 AM
As far as strength is concerned, Uberti offers 45 ACP cylinders for their 45 Colt revolvers. There is no difference in construction from the words of Uberti reps. Cylinder wall thickness is cylinder wall thickness!

The key here is to load the 45 Colt for pressures, not velocity, and deal with what velocity and accuracy that pressure produces. The faster the burn rate of the powder used, the more than likely you are to exceed max pressures before reaching the desired velocity.

Settling on a Speer 230gr #4681 swaged lead bullet, there is a published that calls for 9.6gr of Unique that reports 1,028fps at 12,000cup from a 7 1/2" Universal Receiver and a Ruger BlackHawk (1:16" twist..451" groove). THIS LOAD IS NOT VALID WITH THE USE OF ANY OTHER BULLET OR WEIGHT.

I'll post it again for those that may have overlooked it. Wonder if Lyman is wrong?

Tall
05-30-2023, 09:58 AM
I'll post it again for those that may have overlooked it. Wonder if Lyman is wrong?

The Alliant website says the max load of Unique with a 7.5" barrel is 9.5 grains using a 250 grain bullet at 930 FPS so it looks reasonable to me that a lighter projectile in a shorter barrel would go a little faster in a universal receiver with no barrel to cylinder gap.

Larry Gibson
05-30-2023, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by BoBSavage View Post

"I'll post it again for those that may have overlooked it. Wonder if Lyman is wrong?"

I've pressure tested the Lee 452-230-TC [235 gr with my alloy] over 8.5 gr of Alliant Unique. Pressure ran 14,500 psi (not CUP) and velocity was 1072 out of my test 10" barrel. another gr of Unique would probably put it up into the 18,000 psi range which is commensurate with 45 Colt data for use in Colt SAs and Uberti's. Ergo I do not see where Lyman's data is out of line for use as a Tier I max load.

kaiser
05-30-2023, 11:25 AM
I once owned a (large frame) Ruger vaquero in a .45 Colt; and still have a Beretta (Uberti) and cimarron in the same caliber. I got rid of the Ruger because I was afraid I might mix up my "over max" loads in my clones! Additionally, I found those extra pressure loads were not very much fun to shoot and the pistol that shot them was bigger than I cared to "pack". I figured if the .45 Colt was issued to soldiers to drop a horse with black powder loads, it was plenty powerful enough for my purposes. I stopped loading to max practically everything in my inventory long ago, except my Magnums (only have one now!) because I seldom found the best accuracy to reside at the maximum level. Many calibers are limited to lower pressure levels, such as the 30/06, .250 Savage, etc., because of the age and materials used in the firearms of their day. Anytime you load a round to the maximum using current reloading data of today, the brand of brass, bullet weight, and "lot" of powder you use will determine what your firearms maximum really is! Manufactures cannot cover every situation where mixing of brands of components are used, much less the condition of the firearm that is being tested. 14,000psi (US) is pretty low, and 15,900 CIP (EU) is not much more - I'll wager that the most accurate and most pleasant loads to fire will not exceed either. "Bragging Rights" should be your "bug eye" groups - not your chronograph readings! My .02

willy
05-31-2023, 06:33 PM
For the record my standard load for the 45 colt is 8.5 gr. Unique with a 255 gr.swc
Been shooting it in Uberti single actions since late 1970’s
So far,,so good.

grouchy leatherneck
06-01-2023, 09:28 PM
While you're on the topic of psi for .45 Colt loads. I have a Uberti Cattleman .45 Colt with a 5.5 inch barrel and a .45 Colt Rossi 92. Would the 20 grains of IMR 4227 with a 250-255 grain swc or rnfp be ok in both? Or would that load be a little too much psi for the Cattleman? I want a good potent load that will work in both. Thanks.

Outpost75
06-01-2023, 10:24 PM
Click on these two, they should open up a bit bigger

Thank you for posting the larger file sizes from Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
06-02-2023, 09:14 AM
On the above data sheets the column of velocity for each shot, averages, ES and SDs are from my Oehler M35P the screens of which were right in front of the M43 screens . The readings were very consistent between the two.

curioushooter
06-12-2023, 01:23 PM

While there is truth to this but, I, the OP was never talking about "Colts." I was always talking about Ubertis 1873 reproductions, which are stronger and more rugged than Colts: modern metallurgy and machining and don't have the weak hand spring which is a source of much trouble with "Colts." I have a Cattleman II which has a retractable firing pin eliminating the need for what I consider a very silly practice of walking around with five rounds in a six-chambered revolver (I've always wondered why Colt never incorporated the feature of allowing one to lower the hammer between chambers on the 1873...this feature exists on my 1860 Army, and I suspect on earlier designes so I'm sure they were aware). Ubertis have forged frames unlike cast Rugers (which is why Rugers are always overbuilt and chunky looking). Cylinders are always machined out of a bar, and are the weakest link in a revolver according to Keith, Linebaugh, Elgin Gates and everybody that I know of who has experimented to the point of destruction. I believe them.

I have a Flattop new model Blackhawk in 44 special that has digested plenty of Keith loads without issue whatsoever. It's cylinder measures 1.673". My Uberti Cattleman II (357 mag) measures 1.671". Flatops are available with 45 ACP cylinders. According to some so are Ubertis which makes sense which makes me think Ubertis are plenty capable of a 45 Colt + P load. I doubt they are capable of "RUGER/TC" loads you find in load manuals that are intended for the much larger SuperBlackhawk cylinders for the 44 magnum. This would be hazadous I think. But again I'm not talking about 45 Colt loads that match 44 Magnum energy. I'm talking about 45 Colt loads that send the standard weight bullet (~250) grains along at 1000 FPS or so.

curioushooter
06-12-2023, 01:44 PM
Your opinion may differ but I think the Uberti is far prettier. Less expensive too. And this is after removing the cheap looking plywood Ruger grip and replacing it with a nice walnut grip (which it should come with from the factory). The Italian comes with a Turk-Walnut grip from the factory. I do not understand why Ruger doesn't make brass grip frame either. Brass casts very easily and nicely, doesn't rust or experience finish flake off (like aluminum framed rugers), and is traditional and attractive. The flatops are arguably the best looking single actions Ruger ever made, too. Without the cheap looking roll mark on the side of the barrel, without "ears" on the top strap. Still, it falls short IMO.

fredj338
06-14-2023, 02:22 PM
I treat my Uberti clones as a Colt SAA. Running Ruger level loads in one will certainly shorten their lifespan.

pbcaster45
06-21-2023, 12:25 PM
Was the Beretta Stampede made by Uberti? I've got some load data for those...

jreidthompson1
06-21-2023, 03:36 PM
A few minutes research indicates yes, made by uberti

pbcaster45
06-22-2023, 03:59 AM
Here's a few that shoot really well in my Beretta Stampede's (USFA Rodeo's too!)

Beretta Stampede 4 ¾ Inch Barrel

Bullet: Blue Bullets 250 gr. RNFP (Polymer Coated/.452)
Powder: Alliant Herco 8.1 grs.
Primer: Federal 150
Case: Winchester
OAL: Even with crimp groove.

Bullet: Lyman #454190 250 gr. FP (.452/Rooster Red)
Powder: Alliant Power Pistol 7.9 grs.
Case: Starline
OAL: 1.600

Bullet: RCBS 255 gr. SWC (.452/SPG Lube)
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.2 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

Beretta Stampede 5 ½ Inch Barrel

Bullet: Hornady 255 gr. FP Cowboy
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.3 grs.
Primer: Fed 150
Case: Magtech
LOAL: 1.600
Velocity: 788

Bullet: Hunter’s Supply 200 gr. RNFP
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 7.4 grs.
Primer: Fed 150

Beretta Stampede 7 ½ Inch Barrel (Shoots high with 250 gr. bullets)

Bullet: DCB 200 gr. Flat Base (20:1/SPG/.454)
Powder: IMR Trail Boss 6.6 grs.
Case: Magtech

Bullet: Hunter’s Supply 200 gr. RNFP
Powder: Hodgdon HP-38 8.0 grs.
Primer: CCI-300
Case: W-W

Thumbcocker
06-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Thanks for sharing.