PDA

View Full Version : Dissolving STP

deltaenterprizes
05-24-2023, 07:15 PM
I have been using HEET/lanolin for years but I prefer STP to lanolin for case lubrication.
I am reforming some 223 brass that I trimmed too short to 222 Remington and the STP lubricated cases seem easier to form with the STP.
I have to apply it with a lube pad and would prefer to spray it on like with the HEET/lanolin mixture.
I tried HEET and the STP did not dissolve 😡!
Any idea of what else to try?
I have some acetone that I am thinking of trying.

BLAHUT
05-24-2023, 07:18 PM
Alcohol ?

Winger Ed.
05-24-2023, 07:34 PM
STP is made to disperse into motor oil.
Acetone, lacquer thinner, or some type of petroleum solvent should work.

Acetone, carb. cleaner, or gasoline will sure take it off your hands.

deltaenterprizes
05-24-2023, 07:41 PM
Alcohol ?

HEET is 100% isopropyl alcohol!

porthos
05-24-2023, 07:47 PM
i've tried a lot of stuff; and have found nothing better than Imperial sizing die wax. now sold under the Redding logo.

fc60
05-24-2023, 08:09 PM
Greetings,

According to the HEET MSDS sheet, it contains 100% Methanol.

https://24-7stores.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Heet-Gasline-Antifreeze.pdf

Cheers,

Dave

fastdadio
05-24-2023, 09:03 PM
I would try mineral spirits first. I use lanolin in Heet also. I don't think the lanolin actually dissolves in the alcohol either. It separates after sitting and I have to shake the bottle to disperse it before spraying.

Minerat
05-24-2023, 09:11 PM
I'm with fastdadio, use a petroleum based solvent to thin and then wipe it off when done forming. Alcohol does not mix with heavy petroleum products well.

Kenstone
05-24-2023, 09:15 PM
Something I posted in another thread:

Yes, I lube brass but NOT sprayed with One Shot or other lube

Not a fan of spraying brass with lube, so I "tumble-lube" with some cloths moistened with STP (or Bag Balm).
I have been using the same premoistened cloths for 1000s of rounds without adding more lube.
Note the small hole poked into the STP foil top, easier to pour small amounts, and 20-year-old rags:
Click image for larger version.

Actually, the rags are usually on at the bottom and the brass (more than pictured) is on top.
With the container about 1/3 full, I just screw on the top, grab it by the top, and swirl it around for 30-60 seconds to uniformly/lightly lube the brass.
no spray, no waiting to dry, no lube inside cases or in primer pockets, easy-peasy,
jmo,

challenger_i
05-24-2023, 09:24 PM
As for thinning the STP, mineral spirits, or lamp oil (kerosene) works well. If acetone or MEK is used, it will evaporate off, and leave straight STP. Also, acetone and MEK are way more volatile, and can create a nasty fire hazard.
If One wants a spray-on lube, try the aerosol silicone oils found at the auto parts stores. Fog the cases, not hose them.

wildwilly501
05-24-2023, 09:37 PM
The yellow bottle of HEET is methanol The red is alcohol

deltaenterprizes
05-24-2023, 10:01 PM
Something I posted in another thread:

Yes, I lube brass but NOT sprayed with One Shot or other lube

Not a fan of spraying brass with lube, so I "tumble-lube" with some cloths moistened with STP (or Bag Balm).
I have been using the same premoistened cloths for 1000s of rounds without adding more lube.
Note the small hole poked into the STP foil top, easier to pour small amounts, and 20-year-old rags:
Click image for larger version.

Actually, the rags are usually on at the bottom and the brass (more than pictured) is on top.
With the container about 1/3 full, I just screw on the top, grab it by the top, and swirl it around for 30-60 seconds to uniformly/lightly lube the brass.
no spray, no waiting to dry, no lube inside cases or in primer pockets, easy-peasy,
jmo,
I knew a commercial reloader that would lube 223 brass in a tumbler with a rag with Marvel Mystery oil on it.
He had a Mann-Matic automatic 223 reloading machine by CH!
I saw one running at a SHOT show in the 80s!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try it!

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2023, 10:18 PM
If I were to dilute STP, I'd use Turpentine...mostly because I like the smell.
My second choice would be MS, the real MS, not the new greenie weenie version.

Bmi48219
05-25-2023, 12:15 AM
HEET & Lanolin lubes great but the brass discolors pretty quick. I switched to automotive spray lube from the dollar store and a system like Kenstone uses.

TD1886
05-25-2023, 12:21 AM
My first choice would be Mineral Spirits and like JonB said the real McCoy.

deltaenterprizes
05-25-2023, 03:45 AM
HEET & Lanolin lubes great but the brass discolors pretty quick. I switched to automotive spray lube from the dollar store and a system like Kenstone uses.

Can you please give more information about the spray lube from the dollar store?

firefly1957
05-25-2023, 06:04 AM
Many years ago I made a bullet lube that was a can of STP and a pound of paraffin it worked well but spider webs of the lube would hang in the air after firing I never thought that was healthy to inhale . I would wonder if the same would happen as a case lube?

dale2242
05-25-2023, 07:37 AM
For my case lube, I use STP, Motor Honey, Etc diluted with 50% light oil to lube the out side of cases and inside of case necks.
I wipe them down with a dry cloth and tumble them in walnut shells for an hour to remove the remaining lube.
I am a single stage loader.
This may not be the best way with progressives.

deltaenterprizes
05-25-2023, 07:50 AM
Many years ago I made a bullet lube that was a can of STP and a pound of paraffin it worked well but spider webs of the lube would hang in the air after firing I never thought that was healthy to inhale . I would wonder if the same would happen as a case lube?
I tumble the cases after sizing to remove the lube!

rockrat
05-25-2023, 10:48 AM
Methanol is alcohol. The other in the different colored bottle is the isopropanol. Try and put the bottle of STP in the sun, to warm it up, then put a little bit in your bottle of whichever alcohol you choose and shake vigorously. Might work but might take a while to mix/thin.

I just use Hornady unique lube and wipe it off with a paper towel, usually while I am watching TV

GregLaROCHE
05-25-2023, 11:43 AM
I’ve never used STP with boolits, but remember when I used to put it in my vehicles, that it was some of the stickiest stuff I ever got on my fingers. I wonder how easy it will be to clean off the brass afterwards.

challenger_i
05-25-2023, 11:57 AM
Tain't bad. I generally do a short tumble, to get the grime off the brass, size the cases, then give them a hot bath in TSP. Cases come out oil free, inside and out.

Bmi48219
05-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Can you please give more information about the spray lube from the dollar store?

It’s marketed by ‘TOOL BENCH HARDWARE’
$1.25

MT Gianni
05-25-2023, 02:17 PM
I’ve never used STP with boolits, but remember when I used to put it in my vehicles, that it was some of the stickiest stuff I ever got on my fingers. I wonder how easy it will be to clean off the brass afterwards.

It is a good lube. I use it on press turrets and hinge points as well as cylinder pins on revolvers. It seems to attract too much dust to use as an auto lube.

gwpercle
05-25-2023, 02:53 PM
STP will get cases reformed / resized when nothing else will ... greasy and messy , yes but it is heavy duty . I use it on a large ink pad and had never considered thinning it . Yeah ... my bottle has a small hole in the foil cover too ...great for dispensing !
If you need to thin try Mineral Spirits , Turpentine or maybe K-1 Kerosene ( aka Coal Oil) .
All of these are petroleum based products .
Acetone might do it ... but be careful what spray bottle you put Acetone thinned STP into ... acetone can be very hard on most plastics ... Mineral Spirits , K-1 Kerosene and coal oil aren't so hard on plastics .
I mixed up some Ed's Red Bore Cleaner (Acetone , ATF , Mineral Spirits and K-1 Kerosene ) and put it in the wrong type plastic bottle ... the bottle started to "sag" and looked like it was melting from the inside ... I got it into a proper type plastic bottle before it started leaking .

Just watch the Acetone ... it's a heavy duty plastic eater .
Gary

Mk42gunner
05-25-2023, 05:13 PM
When I used STP for case lube (easier to find than Imperial sizing die wax) I put a little bit on a rag and then occasionally rubbed the rag with my fingers. This transferred enough lube for resizing, heavy case forming might need a tiny bit more.

After resizing, I ran the cases through the tumbler with walnut media for about fifteen to twenty minutes.

STP works well, but Imperial is a lot easier to clean up after. I will say that I never stuck even a .223 case in Lee RGB dies using STP.

Robert

country gent
05-25-2023, 07:04 PM
I have a bath towel I use to apply Imperial sizing die wax. I lay it out and work a small amount into the towel then the cases pick up each ends corners in each hand and raise and lower my hands rolling the cases in the towel. I store the towel in a large zip lock bag.

Until the towel is completed impregnated you need to be careful not to under lube. But I think this might work with the stp unthinned also. Just make sure starting out cases get enough lube.

A large bath towel will do a coupe 1000 308 cases in one shot.

Kosh75287
05-25-2023, 07:27 PM
Try starting with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, and adding 1:9 MEK:Isopropanol or MIBK:Isopropanol. The organic nature of the alcohol will tend to keep the ketone from evaporating out so rapidly. Cutting the ratio down to 1:19 Ketone:Isopropanol may give desired results, without presenting an inordinate fire hazard.

deltaenterprizes
05-25-2023, 08:34 PM
I mixed some kerosene with some STP and it dissolved into the kerosene. I then added some HEET in the red bottle and thinned the STP/kerosene mixture.
I sprayed some on some 223 brass and tumbled them with my hand and got a bunch of nicely lubricated brass!

WRideout
05-26-2023, 06:18 PM

I lube my cases with a bottle of STP that my kids will inherit. Brass is washed in a water solution of citric acid and the orange degreaser from the auto parts store. Works fine.

Wayne

TD1886
05-26-2023, 06:32 PM
Those of you that like Imperial Wax why don't you mix STP with some form of wax say like beeswas till you get the same consistency as Imperial Wax.

firefly1957
05-27-2023, 06:25 AM
I tumble the cases after sizing to remove the lube!

This was bullet not case lube on a sunny day even full power 44 magnum loads left spider webs hanging in the air on the range . .38 special loads where really bad when shooting double action strings .