PDA

View Full Version : can i use a std press for swaging ?

mike in co
02-09-2009, 02:29 PM
i have a line on a full set of 22rf to 22 cf bullet dies...corbin.

but the price of thier press has me stopped...

can i use a solid press like the lee classic ? or ???

thanks

mike in co

powderburnerr
02-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I have been making some 22 bullets lately and it appears that if you cast the cores a reg O press would handle the load .. I would wonder though if you were swageing cores..,,Dean

kawalekm
02-09-2009, 04:24 PM
HI Mike
You want to use a press with a compound linkage, such as a RCBS Rockchucker. I swage .224 rifle and 3/4 jacketed pistol bullets and the Rockchucker is all I've ever used. I wouldn't try using Lee anything for swaging.
Michael

mike in co
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
HI Mike
You want to use a press with a compound linkage, such as a RCBS Rockchucker. I swage .224 rifle and 3/4 jacketed pistol bullets and the Rockchucker is all I've ever used. I wouldn't try using Lee anything for swaging.
Michael

go look at the lee classic....o frame, cast iron/steel frame, pivoting link...not sure if it is compound.
me thinks if a rockchucker will do it, the lee classic will.

mike

docone31
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Two factors with the Lee Classic.
The stock toggle at least the one I had will blow out. Also, the ram gets "loose". When I do heavy sizing, I have to center the ram. I have worn the sides a little from the sizing I do.
Get the steel toggle from Lee, inexpensive insurance.
It is aluminum so it will wear under pressure.

beanflip
02-09-2009, 05:39 PM
+1 on the RCBS rockchucker

mike in co
02-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Two factors with the Lee Classic.
The stock toggle at least the one I had will blow out. Also, the ram gets "loose". When I do heavy sizing, I have to center the ram. I have worn the sides a little from the sizing I do.
Get the steel toggle from Lee, inexpensive insurance.
It is aluminum so it will wear under pressure.

you guys have me confused.

my lee classic is all steel/iron....no pot metal , no aluminum......

its big and beefy......
the same press they sell for 50 cal. it has a 1 1/8 dia ram with a 3.5 in long bore

i do not deny the rc is a good press, but would rather not have to spring for another press if it will do......as anyone knows the corbin dies are EXPENSIVE.

mike in co

Lead pot
02-09-2009, 06:27 PM
For the .224 diameter bullets the O press will work just fine if the Corbin dies are the M die with 7/8x14 threads.
I use 50/50 or 40/60 solid wire solder for the core.

mikenbarb
02-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I use an old Herters Super 3 single stage for my 38's. It works fine with a small cheater pipe on the handle.:-D

shooterg
02-09-2009, 08:01 PM
FWIW- Larry Blackmon sells a conversion ram and linkage to convert an older RockChucker into a really good swaging press, $95 last I saw.

454PB
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I use either my RCBS Rockchucker or Lee Classic Turret with the Corbin dies.

mike in co
02-10-2009, 02:12 AM
i'm think to replace the big bushing in the lee with a small bushing.......i saw conflicting data on corbins site...but i think the dies are 5/8's not 7/8's so just turn and thread a bushing on the lathe.

mike in co

acemedic13
02-10-2009, 05:21 AM
I am getting started in swaging and borrowed a few dies and other things to try it all out...Should have borrowed a press, because I was using my lee classic and the challenger. I broke the linkages on both. The challenger did not even make it past 2 rounds. The classic was a real trooper, it hung in there for about 7. I bought an rcbs jr-3 on e-bay for 25 bucks. It is a beast. Now I have to go and borrow/buy some dies again and I will be back in business. Lee is great for reloading, slow , but a good little machine for the money. It is not made for swaging. I heard that rcbs stood for "Rock Chucker Bullet Swaging"...Sounds like it was built for the task.

Lead pot
02-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Corbins 5/8x24 die is for the corbin CSP-1 press.
Those dies screw into the ram, there would be a lot of work involved to make them work in a loading press.
I don't know if Corbin still makes the M Die, The R dies Pro Swag dies are made for the loading press. And the pot metal Lee presses will not hold up using any of the swage dies.
Before buying any of the swage equipment I would get on the Corbin swage site and study it, you will benefit from it.
http://www.corbins.com/sitemap.htm

Leadsmith
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Stands for Rock Chucker Bullet Swage. I have one old press, an A2, a heavy beast. They were made for much larger swaging dies, mine has an insert to allow it to use the tiny 7/8 x 14 reloading dies.

jimkim
02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Get an old Rockchucker or a new Lee Classic Cast press. I read a thread on here a few months ago that said RCBS advised against using the Rockchucker to swage bullets. I know the old ones worked. Maybe Swagerman will shed some light on this.

deltaenterprizes
02-10-2009, 11:24 AM
The ram deforms a little when I use my Rock Chucker for swaging.

mike in co
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
if i take the lee classic single stage cast/iron/steel and make a shell holder/5/8s adapter , a i in business with the corbin 22 fr to cf dies ?

thanks
mike in co

Lead pot
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Mike it's more involved then just making a adapter for the ram and a bushing to mount the die using the "S" dies.
Look at this page and look at the way these dies work.

http://www.corbins.com/fjfb-3.htm

Lead pot
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
This is the die set to be used in a loading press.
http://www.corbins.com/proswage.htm#top

acemedic13
02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I wrote that post at 0345...i meant bullet swaging...I corrected it....My bad

MIBULLETS
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Corbin makes various dies to work in reloading presses, if you are making rifle bullets in 22 or 6mm. Pistol bullets and paper patch bullets.

M-dies also screw into the ram and are made for the old Mighty Mite press, but also work in the CSP-1 S press.

I know Blackmon says he can convert other presses, like Lyman's but you could ask him about your Lee. You never know. His dies are very similar to the Corbin M-dies.

booboo1000
02-12-2009, 12:14 AM
The Best press you can buy,is from Mid West, it is a Forester Press, called a Bonanza Co-Ax. It is designed not only for loading ammuniation, but is designed for swedging, and all heavy duty work. Try one they are the best, with automatic primer catcher, double shafts, open front, best press going. Bonanza Co-Ax

Crooked Creek
02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
I have had Blackmon dies (steel) in 30 Cal. and his Rockchucker modification ram since the late 1980's and never had an issue with the larger bullets (swaging 22's should require a lot less pressure). I also have an old RCBS A-2 set up to make 7MM bullets in carbide dies, again never a problem. Finally, I also have a Corbin heavy press and sets of Corbin dies in 7MM and 30 cal. that I also bought in the 1980's, but used very little, as I preffered the RCBS presses and Blackmon dies. With properly lubricated (using lanolin) jackets I've never had a problem with any of them. I also have one of the Lee (all steel) Classics that I bought because of it's length capacity, to load long bullets in 40-65, 45-70, and 45-90. I've never tried swaging with the Lee, but I do like the press and it seems "beefy" enough.

mike in co
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
FWIW- Larry Blackmon sells a conversion ram and linkage to convert an older RockChucker into a really good swaging press, $95 last I saw.

anyone got a link to Larry Blackmon

scrapcan
02-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Mike,

find the links for contacting gator checks. I believe this is the same individual that is making the gator gas checks.

Crooked Creek
02-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Larry Blackmon does make the Gator Checks. The last time I looked, he did not have a web address, but could be contacted via e-mail, which you should be able to find on the Gator Check link.

454PB
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Get an old Rockchucker or a new Lee Classic Cast press. I read a thread on here a few months ago that said RCBS advised against using the Rockchucker to swage bullets. I know the old ones worked. Maybe Swagerman will shed some light on this.

Swagerman has passed away, but he did use a Lee Classic for swaging.

Hud
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
leblackmon@colla.com

Larry Blackmon
PO Box
West Monroe, Louisiana, 71291

Hud

jimkim
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Swagerman has passed away, but he did use a Lee Classic for swaging.

That is really sad. I so enjoyed reading his posts. I would have liked to have met him. Jim

Mtman314
03-17-2009, 06:59 AM
RCBS sells a conversion solid ram for swaging part number 57189 for 75 bucks. I am looking into trying to swage with my RCII or should I see about getting a RC supreme to swage with?
I want to try 303, 8mm and 30-06.