PDA

View Full Version : Dillon reloading problem

JimB..
05-20-2023, 12:06 AM
I haven’t loaded anything with lg pistol primers in a couple years, and it’s time to load 45acp. Setting the press goes great, but the primer pickup tubes are driving me nuts. Primers are getting tilted and jammed in the tube, they bunch up between the green plastic pickup tip and the aluminum tube. Have never had this problem before. CCI LPPs.

Dillon is sending some new tubes and tips under warranty, and I ordered some more as well. Hope the newer ones work.

Anyone have a similar problem?

garandsrus
05-20-2023, 12:25 AM
It sounds like the tube is not fully seated.

JimB..
05-20-2023, 03:54 AM

Exactly, but that’s not it. If I look in the pickup tip I can clearly see that there is not a smooth transition to the tube, I see a ring of the aluminum tube. It’s like the inside of the tip should have more material at the junction. The issue is with about ten tubes and I’ve replaced the tips on the tubes, the replacements are the same vintage as the originals though and don’t resolve the problem. At this time I have 4 tubes with an unknown number of primers jammed in them, removing the tips does not allow them to fall out with shaking and tapping.

Big Wes
05-20-2023, 06:11 AM
Try cleaning your primer tubes with a long pipe cleaner, or perhaps spray some brake parts cleaner through them. It might help, then again it might not. Just a suggestion on my part.

slam45
05-20-2023, 08:02 AM
the plastic tips are always flaky... a poor design that they don't fix... new tips often and chamfer the tube end ID a bit helps... toss them when you have to struggle... consider them a consumable part... any bends in the tube will make it more trouble than it is worth... single biggest problem with Dillon stuff, but they will get salty if you mention it...

JimB..
05-20-2023, 01:34 PM
Cleaning didn’t help. One tube I’ve chamfered and it helps, but not perfect by a long shot. Small primer pickups remain perfect.

They are replacing some of them under warranty, and I bought a 4 pack, so if the new ones work I’ll trash the old ones if new tips don’t make them work.

05-20-2023, 01:50 PM
When the tips wear or get damaged it is hard to see the problem, a new tip is often the cure.

JimB..
05-20-2023, 02:53 PM
When the tips wear or get damaged it is hard to see the problem, a new tip is often the cure.
Have about 10 spare tips, have tried them plenty.

The great news is that few people seem to have the same problem, so I don’t really need to figure this out, just buy new ones and it should be fine.

Walter Laich
05-20-2023, 05:00 PM

I agree with garandsrus--if the tip is not tight against the end of the tube there is room (diameter) for the primers to cock and get jammed there. once in the tube, there isn't enough room for them to turn

I put the plastic tip loosely in a vice on its shoulder and tap lightly with a hammer to set it

JimB..
05-20-2023, 06:01 PM
Okay, fine, now I'm gonna break out the bore scope.

garandsrus
05-20-2023, 06:33 PM
I don’t think a SP or SR primer can get sideways in a small primer tube. I have loaded small primers in a large primer tube by accident and of course it was a mess and they jammed. It sounds like you recognize the difference in the tubes though, so that probably is not the problem.

I know you said you haven’t changed primer tubes in a while. You do need to rotate the tube until it is in the correct orientation to seat fully. That is the purpose of the tab on the primer tube. This only applies to the Dillon 550, of course. The 650 tubes are different.

JimB..
05-21-2023, 12:08 AM
I don’t think a SP or SR primer can get sideways in a small primer tube. I have loaded small primers in a large primer tube by accident and of course it was a mess and they jammed. It sounds like you recognize the difference in the tubes though, so that probably is not the problem.

I know you said you haven’t changed primer tubes in a while. You do need to rotate the tube until it is in the correct orientation to seat fully. That is the purpose of the tab on the primer tube. This only applies to the Dillon 550, of course. The 650 tubes are different.
No problems with small primers.
Yes I did check the tube sizes, a large primer won’t fit in a small primer pickup tube, so it’d be a hard stop.
The issue I’m having is with the primer pickup tubes, not with the primer tube on the press.

oldsman
05-21-2023, 08:38 AM
I had the same issue once , and it turn out the pickup tip was not seated all the way ,those tips are very tight on the tube . I put a drip of gun oil on the tube end and rub in with my finger then push the tip on against the side of the bench . Never had a primer hang up in the tube ever since

dogrunner
05-21-2023, 10:05 AM
Same as oldsman here. Chamfered the tube and smoothed that transition point....made sure the tip was flush seated and no problems since.

garandsrus
05-21-2023, 12:23 PM
I haven’t used the normal pickup tubes in a long time. This works great: https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/reloading-tools/priming-and-depriming-tools/primer-tools/vibra-prime/855712.html

JimB..
05-21-2023, 05:47 PM
I haven’t used the normal pickup tubes in a long time. This works great: https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/reloading-tools/priming-and-depriming-tools/primer-tools/vibra-prime/855712.html

Going to order one now! Reviews are spotty, but worth a shot.

GWS
05-22-2023, 12:41 AM

Hmmmm. I may have to get one of those for my Green Prochucker 7. I hate pickup tubes. $70 would be worth it if there's no other problems. Curious to find out how JimB will like it.

Here in dry New Mexico, one has to be very careful with stacked tubes......and I NEVER carry them across the room. Too much static, especially in the winter.

Kenstone
05-22-2023, 01:39 AM
Going to order one now! Reviews are spotty, but worth a shot.

$20 cheaper on Amazon and free 2-day shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Universal-Automatic-Reloading/dp/B00BQ6A3Y0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NVPCLYPROU4S&keywords=frankford+arsenal+vibraprime&qid=1684733841&sprefix=franford+arsenal+vibraprime%2Caps%2C508&sr=8-1
jmo,

oldsman
05-22-2023, 08:31 AM
I tried one I could not get it to feed the tube consistently , primer kept getting stuck in the orifice . I am useing the double alpha
one now , much better than the frankford one . the double alpha is the vibrating tray model . now I use the frankford for vibrating buffer into shot shells

JimB..
05-22-2023, 08:42 AM
I tried one I could not get it to feed the tube consistently , primer kept getting stuck in the orifice . I am useing the double alpha
one now , much better than the frankford one . the double alpha is the vibrating tray model . now I use the frankford for vibrating buffer into shot shells

I’ve looked at this on the past, but small primer only.
https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-primer-pro-collator

oldsman
05-22-2023, 08:45 AM
it is called DAA PRIMAFILL , just looked it up on the double alpha site.
this does small and large

JimB..
05-22-2023, 02:21 PM
it is called DAA PRIMAFILL , just looked it up on the double alpha site.
this does small and large

Thanks, here it is https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/primafill

Have ordered the FA one, but need some other stuff from Double Alpha so will add this to my next order from them.

GunsandCoffee
06-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Buy a new tube and see if that solves the issue.

Time is money and the tubes are inexpensive.

JimB..
06-24-2023, 02:35 PM
Buy a new tube and see if that solves the issue.

Time is money and the tubes are inexpensive.

Lol, destroyed a handful of tubes before taking Dillon’s advice and priming off the press. Not sure when I’ll try large primers on the press again. Dillon Support Tech kinda irritated me, he was unhappy that I’d not stopped sooner, as of that’s even a reasonable option, and I said that it’s no big deal if I gotta pay for new tubes, then he said “they are covered, unfortunately.” Later in the call he was whining about it again so I told him to just send me two replacement magazine tubes and forget the pickup tubes. I don’t know if he gets a bonus for irritating folks or if the cost of parts comes out of his pocket or if he was just having a bad day, but whatever it was it wasn’t the service I’ve long gotten from Dillon.

David2011
06-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Jim, is there anyone in your area that can look at your press? You’ve had more problems with a new machine than I’ve had with 4 Dillons over 32 years. I have to believe that there’s a small problem that’s easily remedied.

As for flaring cases, the adjustment from not enough to too much is very small. The entire range is around one turn from no flare to full flare. Testing has to be done with the screws and bolts at their intended operating level of tightness.

JimB..
06-29-2023, 01:25 PM
Jim, is there anyone in your area that can look at your press? You’ve had more problems with a new machine than I’ve had with 4 Dillons over 32 years. I have to believe that there’s a small problem that’s easily remedied.

As for flaring cases, the adjustment from not enough to too much is very small. The entire range is around one turn from no flare to full flare. Testing has to be done with the screws and bolts at their intended operating level of tightness.

I don’t think I’ve had a problem with the 650s (I have 3) other than this LPP feeding issue and an earlier ejector wire mangling. I’ve had Lee, RCBS, and Hornady presses and have no plans to change from Dillon. Their service guy just got on my last nerve implying that I was somehow doing something wrong with a primer pickup tube and wishing that he didn’t have to warranty them.

tja6435
06-29-2023, 04:34 PM

Winchester primers hung up terrible for me until I took a needle file and want around the top side of that orifice. Now they rarely hang up, all other primers flow through like butter now. I had to go that with the large and small orifices.

These things also like fresh batteries, when it stop feeding smoothly, I put new batteries in and it works great. I’ve had mine since 2014 when they were $37 on Amazon. I use it for all of the ammo I load on my 650

David2011
06-29-2023, 07:00 PM
I don’t think I’ve had a problem with the 650s (I have 3) . . .

Sorry! If you said earlier that this isn’t your first Dillon I missed it. Sounds like experience isn’t the issue.