PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Question

farmer66
05-19-2023, 10:18 PM
I buy quite a bit but have never sold. I bought an electronic board for $213 that was advertised as OEM but was aftermarket. It did not work so I bought an OEM board that worked. I requested a return which was quickly granted. Then I got a message from the seller asking to not return the board and to cancel the return request and they would refund the money. if I cancel, Ebay says I cannot request return again and will not receive Ebay help. Seller says they cannot send refund until request is cancelled per Ebay rules. Seller has a very good rating. For those that sell on Ebay, do i need to cancel the request or is this a way to avoid a refund and maintain a good rating?

BLAHUT
05-19-2023, 11:15 PM
Talk with ebay, every time I have had a problem, they refunded money,

Bazoo
05-19-2023, 11:34 PM
I think they are scamming you. I would ignore there emails and send the board back, put the tracking for the return in the claim. They will have forced to refund you as ebay will see you sent it back.

Teddy (punchie)
05-20-2023, 04:16 AM
Not sure what type of board your talking about. But I would watch. If you used a card and paypal then they should make it right. I think some of the rating is a joke any more. I would go off of communication and how they do and go by your past history with the seller, not by their Ebay rating it is false and missing as of late.

Shawlerbrook
05-20-2023, 05:55 AM
Yes, sounds a little sketchy to me. I would say, refund first then I will do what you want.

Nobade
05-20-2023, 06:50 AM
Open a case with Ebay, they will see to it that things are taken care of.

ascast
05-20-2023, 07:26 AM
Talk to ebay, communicate ONLY via email with ebay message board. Explain in detail. They will sort it out to your satisfaction. I once bought a car there. Minor red flags since day one. I won and then a storm blew the reggy out a window and gone. Nightmare.
I opened a case will all supporting emails and got my money back in about two weeks.

William Yanda
05-20-2023, 07:42 AM
Sounds fishy to me.

JimB..
05-20-2023, 07:51 AM
Open a case with ebay

MrWolf
05-20-2023, 08:14 AM
Be careful of any communication not through Ebay. It also sound fishy to me, i.e. close the case and then we will refund. Not worth it and go through the ebay process.

pworley1
05-20-2023, 08:16 AM
Every claim I have made through Ebay has been refunded.

bedbugbilly
05-20-2023, 08:19 AM
I'm another one who thinks something isn't kosher with what they want you to do. Open a case with eBay and I would return it with tracking. Don't delete any of the messages between you and the seller - in fact, I would print them off so I had a hard copy of all messages back and forth until it is resolved. It sounds to me like they are trying to create an "out" so they don't have to refund. If the board was supposed to be OEM and it wasn't, then they are misrepresenting it on their auction site - something eBay frowns on and if it is a habit of the seller, it will get them suspended. Run off a copy of the original auction listing as well so you have it if needed. I have bought/sold there for years and there should not be an issue in giving a refund if a seller nor getting one if a buyer if the request for a refund is legitimate.

deltaenterprizes
05-20-2023, 08:37 AM
Open a case and use the reason for the refund request “item not as described “.
An eBay employee told me to use that in a dispute and told me that it would work every time!
From what you have described the item is not as described!

Rapier
05-20-2023, 08:58 AM
Let the buyer beware.

MaryB
05-20-2023, 12:22 PM
Word of caution, if buying form Chinese sellers be prepared to eat it. Return shipping can be $100+++++ Chinese gov subsidizes shipping to the USA so sellers there pay pennies...

deces
05-20-2023, 01:25 PM
Don't drop the return request. That is your only way to get your money back, that ebay will assist you with.

Winger Ed.
05-20-2023, 01:30 PM
If you couldn't trust the seller to send the correct/advertised item,
why would you trust them on the their request for a different refund procedure?

You have maximum exposure to get ripped off, but nothing to gain.
I'd do it along the ebay rules and the way they want you to do it.

farmer66
05-20-2023, 01:43 PM
I took the consensus advice and mailed the package back this morning. To answer a question, it was a board out of a pool heater. If it comes out less than expected, I will add info.

Thanks for help.

Farmer66

frkelly74
05-20-2023, 02:16 PM
When I had a dispute and the seller seemed reluctant to co-operate I opened a dispute and asked for a shipping lable and refund. I immediately got a lable and a refund, and was satisfied.

snowwolfe
05-20-2023, 02:21 PM
If you and the seller are sending messages thru eBay I would trust them. eBay keeps a record of the messages and they supposedly read each one.
They will hold the seller to what they tell you.

Teddy (punchie)
05-20-2023, 02:22 PM
I took the consensus advice and mailed the package back this morning. To answer a question, it was a board out of a pool heater. If it comes out less than expected, I will add info.

Thanks for help.

Farmer66

Hope you just out the time and not any $$.......... but one thing time is money.

deces
05-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Paying with paypal offers your more protection too.

Big Tom
05-20-2023, 04:53 PM
He already betrayed when selling an aftermarket part as OEM - I would not trust him with the return cancellation.

Handloader109
05-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Watch the tracking carefully. Print it out the results and notify the seller you see card has made it back to them and you expect your refund promptly. Give them a couple of days for the refund. If they don't or give you grief, open a dispute with ebay as others have said..... you are owed. ALL your money. Not as described

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
05-20-2023, 07:30 PM
Open a case with Ebay, they will see to it that things are taken care of.

:goodpost:
This is what you should do .

higgins
05-21-2023, 09:37 PM
I don't buy anything on the open market on the internet unless they take a credit card. I realize CC numbers are stolen off websites, but I'm not responsible for fraudulant charges, and it's easier to dispute a charge than it is to wrestle with Ebay or some other website and the seller.

jsizemore
05-23-2023, 08:12 PM
Every claim I have made through Ebay has been refunded.

Same for me. If the seller wants the board back then he needs to send you a return authorization and postage prepaid sticker. My guess is he knows the board is junk, doesn't want to waste money on postage for the return and can dispute negative feedback if you cancel the return request to keep taking advantage of folks. Ebay won't want the bad board so you'll keep it and ebay will make sure you get yours and ebay will get theirs too.

georgerkahn
05-23-2023, 08:21 PM
I buy quite a bit but have never sold. I bought an electronic board for $213 that was advertised as OEM but was aftermarket. It did not work so I bought an OEM board that worked. I requested a return which was quickly granted. Then I got a message from the seller asking to not return the board and to cancel the return request and they would refund the money. if I cancel, Ebay says I cannot request return again and will not receive Ebay help. Seller says they cannot send refund until request is cancelled per Ebay rules. Seller has a very good rating. For those that sell on Ebay, do i need to cancel the request or is this a way to avoid a refund and maintain a good rating?

Sounds sketchy to me, too! I have been, for lack of a better word, "taken" several times on that auction site. I use eBay tools to open a case, and then immediately go to PayPal. In EVERY case, PayPal has refunded every penny I sent in less than an hour or two! Of course, I can get my account re-docked if I do not send merchandise back... And, all it takes is a tracking number from USPS.
That your purchase was NOT the advertised item, it seems a no-brainer for you to get a full refund. Again, I wouldn't even waste my time on eBay other than opening the inquiry/investigation. Then... go to PayPal!
geo

barnetmill
05-23-2023, 09:16 PM
There is amazon and ebay. I use ebay the most because I can use paypal automatically my mailing information is set up for the order.
But lately I am having more items that are not as advertised such as getting one when I ordered two items and the seller pleading with me to accept just one because he made a mistake on the price.
I have not had the same problems on amazon, but have had other problems in the past directly with amazon.

.45Cole
05-27-2023, 02:39 PM
I purchase most things through ebay as the rating system (feedback) is super important to sellers and they will do almost anything to keep it high. Most times just an email will get things straight (things happen) or I open a case. I think ebay doesn't distribute funds until the transaction is "closed" so the seller probably doesn't actually have the funds you sent yet.

I'd assume they are telling you 50% truth: they don't want a bad mark on their account with the ebay case and would rather you let the transaction go through and then send you a refund. This is actually slipperier for them as you can give bad feedback, with an ebay case you can't give feedback.

Stick to your guns, you're dealing with a deceiver.

farmer66
05-27-2023, 03:54 PM
I sent the board back and got my money back. They gave me a positive feedback. I am able to give them feedback as well, but will decline to do so.

Thanks for the information. I agree that the feedback is pretty flakey!

Farmer66

phantom22
05-27-2023, 06:41 PM

I sell on eBay for a living and the seller is scamming you 100%. On the seller side there is an option to refund the money without requiring the buyer to return the item AND without the requirement of the buyer closing the return.

If you close the return then the buyer will just stop responding to you.

Also DO NOT pay for return shipping. Even if the buyer says no returns or buyer pays return shipping, if the item does not match the description which is clearly the case here, the return will be automatically approved by eBay and it will generate a return label for you at the sellers expense.

DO NOT abuse the item not as described return option unless it is truly the case. Although this will almost certainly get you your money back no matter what, savvy sellers like myself do not appreciate scammer buyers and can and will open a mail fraud case against you which at the very least cause you a lot of grief if not criminal repercussions.

Any way, back on topic. At this point you should not contact the seller any more and report this issue to eBay. They should be able to see what the buyer is doing and will either advise you to return the item with the generated label or just refund you outright. The former is more likely and will make an electronic tracking trail as well.

I deal with this type of thing occasionally from the the seller side where buyers try to scam me, but I can usually tell when a buyer is up to no good prior to the sale. All in all, my positive experiences buying and selling on eBay are way more frequent than negative ones. But, I am an honest seller so that helps. I try to stand behind my stuff and have gotten positive feedback on stuff that was returned to me just because I take the time to answer questions from buyers.

This guy likely knows that he is scamming people and is trying to get away with it until the account is banned. Then they just pop up under a different name. These scammy type sellers also give themselves away.

Try this when looking for a common item or something that is in demand. You'll notice search results with the item having several listings that have slightly different prices, but very similar looking pictures. All the sellers names are different too. Different sellers? Nope. Look at where the item ships from. Many of the similar looking listings under different user names ship from the same city. Usually in CA, NJ, or NY. It's the same seller with multiple accounts. Once one gets banned or has too many negative feedbacks they just abandon or delete them and use one of the many alternates. I never buy from these sellers. Take the time to try and vet your seller. Read some feedback, especially if they have responses to any negatives or neutrals they might have. You'll be able to tell if you are dealing with some English as a second language scammer or a legit normal person that sells. Their feedback will usually be much better.