PDA

View Full Version : Online Reloading Component Scams

nicholst55
05-19-2023, 10:25 AM
I was just surfing online, looking for some brass that nobody seems to have in stock (.480 Ruger). I did a web search, and went down the list, clicking on the various returns. There are a LOT of scammers out there, folks! The first clue is when they're advertising stuff that nobody else has in stock, at reasonable prices. The second clue is when you try to order it and they want Zelle, Bitcoin, or other non-traditional payment (that leaves you with no recourse). They always have a justification for why they won't accept credit cards, and it's always a lie. Run away! And I'm still looking for brass (No, Starline and Hornady, the only two companies manufacturing it, are out of stock - with no backorder, in the case of Starline).

Just a word to the wise!

gwpercle
05-19-2023, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the Heads-Up from a fellow who falls in the "Not So Wise" category !

I know Powder Valley is legit ... I ordered 300 38 Special cases from them recently , when nobody in town had any ... I mean the freaking indoor shooting range didn't even have once-fired mixed brass ... Zip , Nada , nothing ...
But , Alas ... a check at Powder Valley showed " Out Of Stock " ... Sorry , but I tried .
Gary

Wheelguns 1961
05-19-2023, 11:58 AM
http://https://www.scam-detector.com/validator/Before I order anything online, I type in the web address in this website. This is after I check for obvious clues.

HumptyDumpty
05-19-2023, 12:14 PM
Some of them will list the address and phone number of a real business, just to give you a warm fuzzy feeling. But if you call, they've never heard of the website.
That being said, I actually encountered a real gun shop, whose registered business name and online names were completely different. I could tell that I wasn't the first skeptical person to call them, but the transaction was successfully concluded.

Shawlerbrook
05-19-2023, 12:21 PM
Yes, just about any Google search looking to buy gives you more scam sites then reputable dealers.

GregLaROCHE
05-19-2023, 12:55 PM
There are a lot of scammers out there. Buyer beware! I ran into a lot of what I would call semi scammers. I was trying to buy a particular model of a new Pedersoli. I ordered it several times and was told it was not available. I went through a reputable intermediate, so there was no problem getting my money back, but it was frustrating not being able to get the gun I had been thinking about for six months. I don’t know why things are advertised if they are not available. Do they think they can sell you something else after they have your attention?
I finally got the gun I wanted by getting help from the wholesaler and waiting a few more months. I was afraid that I was going going to have to pay top retail price, but luckily I got a good deal for less than the price of what I paid before.

pworley1
05-19-2023, 05:43 PM
The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is a scam" is still good advice.