PDA

View Full Version : What is it

GOPHER SLAYER
05-17-2023, 05:01 PM
Could someone tell me what this weird looking thing does? O can see it it is used with a brace. I am having a yard sale tomorrow and I would like to tell people what they are buying.

country gent
05-17-2023, 05:36 PM
I believe its a dowel cutter

poppy42
05-17-2023, 06:08 PM
Could be some type of tubing cutter. Some of those diameters look awful big to be trying to cut hardwood dowel with it. It’s a Cutter that’s for sure. First thing I thought I was a big PVC pipe cutter but all of this is guesswork on my part

elmacgyver0
05-17-2023, 06:30 PM
Gender changer?

Oaks&Pines
05-17-2023, 06:59 PM
That is a Hollow Auger.
Used for cutting a dowel on a spoke for a wheel.

M-Tecs
05-17-2023, 07:27 PM
That is a Hollow Auger.
Used for cutting a dowel on a spoke for a wheel.

We have a winner.

https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/hand/hollow-augers

GOPHER SLAYER
05-17-2023, 08:18 PM
Once again you gentleman came to the rescue. Thank you. I think my hands would be numb by the time I finished a wheel. I don't think I could do a wagon.

bedbugbilly
05-17-2023, 09:11 PM
I used one once in a while when I had my custom woodworking/millwork shop to cut round tenons on spindles - came in very handy foe truing up tenons on spokes I turned for making treadle and walking spinning wheels with spit turned hubs for the treadle wheels and turned hubs for the walking wheels. With a sharp cutter and a brace, it makes quick work of it. A mate to these tenon cutters was a chamfer cutter. It was a cast "cone" with a cutter - think pencil sharpener - the shaft that went in the brace was adjustable as far as how deep the end went into the cast cone - the shaft would bottom out on the end if the spindle/spoke to determine how much chamfer was put on the end of the spindle/spoke so they were all uniform and to make it easier to enter the hole in the hub/rim or in a chair leg, chair are etc.

stubshaft
05-18-2023, 12:12 AM
WOW. it's amazing the things that you learn on this site!

abunaitoo
05-18-2023, 01:27 AM
So interesting.
I luv tools.