PDA

View Full Version : Urban Progressive Reloading

reloader X
05-13-2023, 08:53 PM
i used to have a redding turret and i could really whip out 9mm i also had a powder bridging incident i didnt catch....hence the introduction of squibs....i ended up spraying about 5K of them thru a MPA ingram. anyway i like to handle the cartridges between stations for irregularites...a freind & myself pool our equipment.. now is the time to meet not fed regular guys who load

https://i.imgur.com/rtOe17O.jpg

reloader X
05-13-2023, 09:01 PM
press it an pass it.....requires 3 for speed...its actually like the I Love Lucy on the candy line lameshow. get more presses

rancher1913
05-13-2023, 09:51 PM
thats the same idea i use for swaging, its such a pain to reset dies i invested it several presses and have a production line, only i do it all myself

reloader X
05-14-2023, 01:52 AM
thats the same idea i use for swaging, its such a pain to reset dies i invested it several presses and have a production line, only i do it all myself

its an economical classy way to do things plus you get to collect presses any press you get for 25 bucks isnt losing value & will go up..plus you can leave them to yer urban freinds.and dont get things all messed up when you croak

georgerkahn
05-14-2023, 06:49 AM
i used to have a redding turret and i could really whip out 9mm i also had a powder bridging incident i didnt catch....hence the introduction of squibs....i ended up spraying about 5K of them thru a MPA ingram. anyway i like to handle the cartridges between stations for irregularites...a freind & myself pool our equipment.. now is the time to meet not fed regular guys who load

https://i.imgur.com/rtOe17O.jpg

Albeit I have and use progressives, I "interrupt" their sequences by, for one, having powder measure drop "light" -- after which I remove case and trickle up to exact desired weight -- then put case back in for bullet seating and crimping... and... this works! In a way, not much different than you are. If it works (for you!) keep on doing as you are.
geo

reloader X
05-15-2023, 12:56 AM
If it works (for you!) keep on doing as you are.
geo

i intend to......feast yer eyes on a cast iron powder funnel...a Lachmiller that some dope twisted thru the setscrew...can use as a funnel until i get it fixed..could get neon plexiglas tubing cheaper than clear hence the space age look....i like these you can see the charge before you drop it & trickle up thru the slot..

https://i.imgur.com/00dDSBk.jpg

dverna
05-15-2023, 06:23 AM
IIRC, that Lucy episode did not end well...LOL.

If your way works for you, that is all that matters....to you.

I could cut my lawn with a push mower but use a zero turn.

As to safety/quality, I have loaded about 500k rounds and have never had a double charge. IMO a good progressive is less likely to have a problem like that, at least for me. It seems counterintuitive. But loading pistol ammunition that has a lot of unused case volume on a single stage is more likely to cause an issue. Easy to double charge and not notice it. Just speculating, but most people loading on a single stage turn out less than 150 rounds at a time and can stay focused. When loading for hours at a stretch, it is easy to lose attention to details.

The last time I loaded pistol ammunition on a single stage press was 50 years ago. I could not afford anything better. I doubt I will ever do it again. There are better tools. Today, there are good progressives that are affordable.

Harter66
05-15-2023, 08:52 AM
I'm not going to say one way or the other but I've spent many many hours when it was too hot or too cold running brass prep . I ran over 1000 45 ACP during Indy one time size/decap and flair . Over a week of evening TV last summer I ran 660 45 AR complete from new to me to canned for range days . All on a single stage , all one step per evening. It took 2 for size/decap but I had interruptions and needed an accurate count. My Uniflows drop inside a 1/10 when I do my part and I charge 50 at a time for pistols . Takes about 20 minutes to finish a box .

I'd buy a Camdex if I just wanted crank out a gazillion rounds and keep hoppers full .

reloader X
05-15-2023, 09:27 AM
well they all need the same number of handle pulls

Green Frog
05-15-2023, 09:52 AM
To fit in this forum, you would need a line of 310 Tools and/or Lee Loaders to do each step progressively… perhaps it would fit better in the Reloading Equipment Forum?

Rather than using a progressive press (or presses) I much prefer to batch process all of my brass, one step at a time, first decapping and sizing a bunch of cases with a carbide die, then hand priming them all, then… well, you get it. Anyway, I’m sure progressive presses have their place somewhere. A progressive set of presses as seen in this thread may have its attraction, but it sure takes up a lot of bench space. Anyway, I guess it comes down to “Different strokes for different folks” perhaps even on different forums.

Green Frog

rbuck351
05-16-2023, 10:46 AM
For pistol I like the one handle pull one loaded round. A turret press would do the same as several presses in a row and require a lot less brass handling and use a lot less bench space. However, we all have methods that work for us so keep on cranking out loads with what ever works for you.

Mk42gunner
05-16-2023, 08:54 PM
To fit in this forum, you would need a line of 310 Tools and/or Lee Loaders to do each step progressively… perhaps it would fit better in the Reloading Equipment Forum?

Rather than using a progressive press (or presses) I much prefer to batch process all of my brass, one step at a time, first decapping and sizing a bunch of cases with a carbide die, then hand priming them all, then… well, you get it. Anyway, I’m sure progressive presses have their place somewhere. A progressive set of presses as seen in this thread may have its attraction, but it sure takes up a lot of bench space. Anyway, I guess it comes down to “Different strokes for different folks” perhaps even on different forums.

Green Frog

For pistol I like the one handle pull one loaded round. A turret press would do the same as several presses in a row and require a lot less brass handling and use a lot less bench space. However, we all have methods that work for us so keep on cranking out loads with what ever works for you.
I'm retired, thus I have way more time than money. I also shoot a lot less than I used to thanks to component cost and health issues.

I do a combination of these two; I normally batch prep cases up until the powder charging step then I do however many I have powder and projectiles for.

I do like a turret press for when I am doing load development; it is nice to be able to have a number of dies all adjusted and ready to go, but I tend to use it as a single stage no turning of the head and completely loading one round at a time.

My latest project (a .30 BR) has me using a combination of Lyman 310 small handles and .308 Winchester dies for decapping and neck sizing, a .30 short M-die, priming is done with an RCBS hand priming tool, and finally a modified RCBS .308Win seating die. If it all works out I may spend the big bucks and get a for real set of custom dies to form and load on a single stage press, maybe not either.

Robert