PDA

View Full Version : vise for the new drill

country gent
05-13-2023, 06:11 PM

Vice I picked up for the new drill. Its a LW chuck 8v2 made in Toledo Ohio. Yesterday I made the lifting bracket and started cleaning it. The crud on it was hardened and dry took my needle scaler and cleaned the castings up with it. I pressure washed it ans repeated his a few times today, dried it and gave the castings a light coat of thinned linseed oil. Tomorrow will wipe it down and give it a coat of primer. Then a coat of machine gray paint. Also hoping to get the transformer for the drill in place so the electrician can finish up.

Gewehr-Guy
05-13-2023, 09:39 PM
If that vice is on top of a 5 gallon pail it is most impressive. Looks to weigh about 100 lbs.

country gent
05-13-2023, 10:01 PM
Yes it is on a 5 gallon bucket for now while Im cleaning it. Shipping said 160 lbs

jmorris
05-14-2023, 10:48 AM
What’s the angle iron, rod, brackets for? I’be seen stops side to side before but that looks to move with the jaw?

country gent
05-14-2023, 10:53 AM
The center plate is at the balance point thats the lifting bracket. Its has a ring that slides over the square and then clamps in the vise so a lift can be used to pick it up. At 160 lbs its more than I an muscle from my wheelchair

country gent
05-14-2023, 10:57 AM
the 2 back mounts are adjustable so I can use it on my kurt vises also.

Green Frog
05-14-2023, 12:45 PM
Cool stuff! Right after I “formally”retired and started my second career as an adjunct at the local Community College I discovered that my Biology Class was in the Science, Math and Technology Department which put me close to colleagues who taught Machine Trades… and I could take classes for free! I took a couple of introductory course in the shop, and in one I started making a mill vise. I really need to go back and finish that vise and set it up to use with my little Atlas bench top mill. It should be just right. Now I just need to try and get a round tuit. ;)

Froggie

reloader X
05-14-2023, 02:36 PM
everyone needs a heavy he-man vice..(pun)

Daver7
05-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Cool stuff! Right after I “formally”retired and started my second career as an adjunct at the local Community College I discovered that my Biology Class was in the Science, Math and Technology Department which put me close to colleagues who taught Machine Trades… and I could take classes for free! I took a couple of introductory course in the shop, and in one I started making a mill vise. I really need to go back and finish that vise and set it up to use with my little Atlas bench top mill. It should be just right. Now I just need to try and get a round tuit. ;)

Froggie

313982 I'll look around I may have a spare.

Green Frog
05-15-2023, 09:59 AM
Don’t send it!!! Then I’d no longer have an excuse to delay putting stuff off! [smilie=l:

GregLaROCHE
05-16-2023, 02:54 PM

Froggie

You better finish that vise or you may get an incomplete and not be able to graduate!

country gent
05-17-2023, 07:12 PM

Vise cleaned up primed and 2 coats on smoke grey rustoleom paint. Now to clean up over runs and make jaws

jeepyj
05-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Now that's the real deal! Very nice.

Green Frog
05-18-2023, 09:49 AM

Vise cleaned up primed and 2 coats on smoke grey rustoleom paint. Now to clean up over runs and make jaws

Looks great! BTW, what drill press will that be used on? Definitely “industrial” in scope!
Froggie

country gent
05-18-2023, 11:01 AM
I picked up an american hole wizard 3' x 9" radial am drill press. There are pics on another post

country gent
05-18-2023, 11:08 AM

Rapier
05-18-2023, 12:37 PM
Ought to be able to drill a hole with that. Looks like a fork lift is needed just to move it and it is blocked up for a lift.

Moleman-
05-18-2023, 01:30 PM
Like your vise lift bracket. I'm using a length of chain on my mill vise. Back surgeon recommended I not lift more than 45# to delay surgery #5 . Ran a length of Unistrut along the top of the pole barn ceiling and have a 800# electric winch that runs on two four wheeled trucks inside of the unistrut. Makes hanging deer a breeze as well as lifting the universal dividing head or D6 vise up on the mill. I set it down on a piece of plastic or plywood (look for cheap cutting boards) and them slide them off so theres no chance of the keys on the bottom scaring the table.

HWooldridge
05-18-2023, 02:40 PM
I had a shaper vise about that size - sold it to a kid who wanted to put it on a Bridgeport VM. I told him not to leave it on either end of the horizontal bed - be afraid it would tip over when he least expects it.

country gent
05-24-2023, 05:44 PM

Vise finished up now aluminum soft jaws in place. Set them up for flat head screws instead of cap heads it leaves more material under the heads. Filled in the 3 drill point holes with jb weld and finished down. New jaws are a little taller than originals if needed I can cut them down at a later time

HWooldridge
05-24-2023, 06:24 PM
Nice job.

uscra112
05-25-2023, 01:57 AM
Would be just right for a #5 Kearney & Trecker knee mill...