PDA

View Full Version : gas checks ?

lx2008
05-13-2023, 01:56 PM
hello fellows,
i have a question on using g.c.`s. first, i have never used them because the boolits i normally use are a hardness
of anywhere from 15-18 and i dont cast my own...i buy from either missouri or penn boolits. the 45 acp boolits from penn
are 200 gr swc with bevel base. the .44 keith ( 240gr ) style i use are from missouri, they also have a b.b.

never had any leading problems using either of these w/ their respective loads (mostly mid to slightly hot range)

my question is (keep in mind i`m not a boolit caster ) can i apply a gas check to either of these type base boolits
on "store bought" boolits? just wondering if i can apply them and they`ll stay put while seating?

thanks!

Dusty Bannister
05-13-2023, 02:12 PM
A common question and many threads about this in the archives. Here is a link to one of them.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?194294-gas-check-on-any-lead-bullet

The conventional gas check is used with a cast bullet having a gas check shank formed when the bullet is cast. There are some after market gas checks specifically made for plain based bullets. Some have success with them. I would suggest that the bevel based bullets may be a problem since there is not a lot of material for the check to be crimped into.

I prefer to shoot plain based hand gun bullets and save the cost of gas checks. Please read some of the threads where others have determined if the lower pressures of handguns do not really benefit from adding a gas check.

405grain
05-13-2023, 10:47 PM
A 45 acp doesn't develop enough velocity or pressure to require a gas check. A 44 magnum with full power loads may benefit from a gas check, but they are not required for mid-level loads.