PDA

View Full Version : molds just powder coating

bigjake
05-13-2023, 09:05 AM
Can someone lead me to a mold manufacturer that make molds just for powder coating? we dont need lube grooves. I powder coated some of the bullets I've made and they wont chamber. The ogives end up too fat to go into battery.

MrWolf
05-13-2023, 10:18 AM
I know noebulletmolds.com has them. Should be more vendors with them. Good luck.
Ron

Minerat
05-13-2023, 10:32 AM
NOE uses HTC as the prefix for their no lube grove (NLG). MP makes them too I just got a 65gr .223 NLG mold and Arsenal has some too.

BRobertson
05-13-2023, 11:38 AM
Accurate Molds has made a few non-grease groove molds for me.
He is working on one now and we are finalizing the specs.
It is for a new .475 Bowen Super Redhawk.
All of them have been enjoyable to cast with and are every bit as accurate as the conventionally lubed boolits
that I have used in my revolvers.

Bob

Kraschenbirn
05-13-2023, 11:51 AM
I believe you'll find that most of the molds designed for powdercoat (without lube grooves) drop pretty much the same driving band and ogive diameters as those with lube grooves. 'No-lube-groove' boolits won't cure your 'fat ogive' issue...trust me, I've been down this road. Possible solutions: nose sizing (NOE tools/inserts), seating boolit deeper, or not applying powder to boolit nose (requires a nose-down holder for boolits and application of powder by electrostatic spray). All are something of a PITA but if that's what you need...

Bill

Screwbolts
05-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Arsenal molds, has smooth sided molds also.

tmd17
05-14-2023, 08:10 PM
I believe you'll find that most of the molds designed for powdercoat (without lube grooves) drop pretty much the same driving band and ogive diameters as those with lube grooves. 'No-lube-groove' boolits won't cure your 'fat ogive' issue...trust me, I've been down this road. Possible solutions: nose sizing (NOE tools/inserts), seating boolit deeper, or not applying powder to boolit nose (requires a nose-down holder for boolits and application of powder by electrostatic spray). All are something of a PITA but if that's what you need...

Bill

I think Bill is correct in his assessment. I have noticed on my heavy 9mm bullets I have to be very careful with how much powder I allow to stick to them before the bake. Good luck sorting things out.

45workhorse
05-14-2023, 09:13 PM
Can someone lead me to a mold manufacturer that make molds just for powder coating? we dont need lube grooves. I powder coated some of the bullets I've made and they wont chamber. The ogives end up too fat to go into battery.

Don't know which process you are using.
I use Smoke's powder and his process, have you tried knocking of the excess before baking them.
Different color?
Clear seems to cover good and is not as thick as blue and red. That just may be me also!

tja6435
05-15-2023, 10:07 AM
You may be able to have the barrel throated a bit to allow a fatter boolit. I had Dougguy do my 1911’s barrel, now I can run any .452” boolit seated out as far as the magazine allows with zero problems.

45workhorse
05-15-2023, 08:25 PM
You may be able to have the barrel throated a bit to allow a fatter boolit. I had Dougguy do my 1911’s barrel, now I can run any .452” boolit seated out as far as the magazine allows with zero problems.

Or this. Good call!

405grain
05-16-2023, 12:23 AM
What type of bullets are you having chambering problems with? Are these for pistol or rifle? I was having problems with bore riding rifle bullets, and came up with a process to powder coat just the driving bands while leaving the ojive uncoated. This is a time consuming process, but it works.

GregLaROCHE
05-17-2023, 10:02 AM

Have you tried sizing them after PCing?