PDA

View Full Version : Lyman vs RCBS Lead Thermometer

ghh3rd
02-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Lyman and RCBS seem to be the two most recommended compaines on these forums. The RCBS lead thermometers are about 40% more than the Lyman. Are they that much better, or both about the same?

Thanks

high standard 40
02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
A thermometer is one item I have yet to buy so I can't say first hand. I have read customer reviews on both and have heard of several people not very happy with the Lyman. A lot of problems reported. I also would love to hear from others here with their results.

mrbill2
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I have a Lyman for years. Unless you have both in the melt at the same time, I don't know how you could compair one to the other. If one say's 700 and the other say's 725, which one do you use. More than likely they are made in the same mfg. plant in China. When I cast I know what temp works for me, weather the temp is right on or 10* off isn't that important.
Mr, Bill

Ugly Dwarf
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I have found Lyman and RCBS to be good companies with quality equipment and excellent customer service.

That said, based soely on the reviews I read at Midway USA on the two thermometers, I chose the RCBS. It is about $10-15 more expensive, but it got better reviews. The Lyman seemed to get mixed reviews, with some people saying it worked well for many years and others saying they had problems from Day 1. I have had personal experience with Lyman having a 'bad batch' of items... they fixed the problem, but it required shipping and waiting on my part.

I'm sure those people with problems were able to work with Midway or with Lyman to get the problem resolved, but I was willing to pay a little more to avoid that risk. There is always the distinct possibility that I will have problems with my RCBS, and I have no doubt they too will make it right if I send it back.

I've not used the Lyman, or personally spoken with anyone who has had a problem with the same. My comments above are based on other Lyman equipment (Magnum 2500 Tumbler with a burned out motor after a month) and comments on each item at Midway USA.

Good luck.

Dwarf

Agent Ronin
02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Well i ordered a Lyman thermometer over the weekend. I'll have to let you all know how it works out. Got ~400lbs of wheel weights to smelt lol.

badgeredd
02-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Lyman and RCBS seem to be the two most recommended compaines on these forums. The RCBS lead thermometers are about 40% more than the Lyman. Are they that much better, or both about the same?

Thanks

I'd rather not bash either company, but if you look through the posts for Lyman and RCBS products, you will see a continuing theme. RCBS has fantastic customer service. Lyman's seems to be a bit hit and miss. Based on that alone, I'd go RCBS, and did. RCBS has had very good customer service for at least 30 years that I have dealt with them. They seems to have a pretty much "no questions asked" policy and replacement parts or items are often shipped out same day as you call. THAT is customer service I prefer to deal with.

Edd

MKT
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
When I break down and buy a thermometer it will be the RCBS, simply for the RCBS lifetime guarantee.

jforwel
02-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Being new at this and having to buy all of the equipment I went the less expensive route. I bought the Lyman but it seems to work fine. The lead melts when it's supposed to and the thermometer seems accurate based on that. I've already used it to convert 300lbs of WW to ingots and another 120lbs of scrap lead to ingots plus a few casting sessions.

Shuz
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Being the frugal(ok cheap) guy that I am, I got my thermometer from an industrial instrument supply house. As I recall, it was less than $15.00 and is still working after about 10 years. If I recall correctly (geez, I'm sounding a lot like Bill Klinton!)the brand is "Tru-Temp". Prolly the same folks that make them for Lyman and RCBS? Regardless, I wouldn't consider smelting ww's without one or casting from my bottom pour furnace without one either. It took me 30 years, but some of us learn sloooowly.--Shuz

Gee_Wizz01
02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I purchased a Lyman about 10 years ago and the dial pointer constantly "sticks" and you have to keep tapping it to get a reading. I checked it in a metrology lab and it is off by about 30 degrees. I do not use it that much anymore I have a Lee pot and the thermostat maintains temp very well once you know what it the numbers correlate to. I calibrated the dial with the thermometer. It appears from the reviews that the RCBS is more reliable, but if I remember correctly the thermometer only has a 90 day warranty, not a lifetime like most RCBS equipment. That being said I would probably buy an RCBS if I had to do it over again.

G

MT Gianni
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Gee Wizz01, If the 'stat is off 30 degrees at 600 that is 5%. That is probably within industry standards for the type of thermostat that it is. I use my t/stat, pulled from a scrapped Bacharach combustion analyzer, to duplicate past results. I could care less about it's accuracy but want it's repeatability. I trust my ability to recognize zinc ww before I throw them in the pot.

mtgrs737
02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
RCBS or the one that Bill Furguson sells. Look him up at www.theantimonyman.com

zxcvbob
02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
When I break down and buy a thermometer it will be the RCBS, simply for the RCBS lifetime guarantee. AFAIK, that's the only difference between 'em. (I'll bet they come off the same assembly line)

testhop
02-10-2009, 09:11 PM
i bougth Bill Furgusons and VERY happy with it
and bill is helpful with info also

RugerFan
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
My Lyman worked fine for a long time (15+ years) but has suddenly gotten quirky. I have to tap it to get the needle to move now. I guess I've gotten my moneys worth, but I'll try a RCBS next.

Shiloh
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Shell out the extra $16 and get the RCBS.

I never had a Lyman. The RCBS was recommended to me by two other casters who did. The Lyman hangs up and sticks. RCBS has superior customer service. This I DO know from experience. RCBS and Dillon are the what service should be.

Shiloh

Bret4207
02-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Shell out the extra $16 and get the RCBS.

I never had a Lyman. The RCBS was recommended to me by two other casters who did. The Lyman hangs up and sticks. RCBS has superior customer service. This I DO know from experience. RCBS and Dillon are the what service should be.

Shiloh

Rude and arrogant? My one experience with RCBS "customer service" was a giant disappointment, I fixed the problem myself after being verbally gutted on the phone. Dillons reputation for eviscerating unhappy customers is legend. I've pretty much given up on warranties.

montana_charlie
02-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I purchased a Lyman about 10 years ago and the dial pointer constantly "sticks" and you have to keep tapping it to get a reading.

My Lyman worked fine for a long time (15+ years) but has suddenly gotten quirky. I have to tap it to get the needle to move now.
None of them are really 'shockproof', or very 'shock resistant'.
If either was dropped at some point in time, that probably accounts for the erratic behavior...even though no physical damage was evident.
CM

Cherokee
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I bought a Lyman. Works for me.