PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Lee Mould refurbishing service

yodar
02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
The gentleman I relied upon took ill and died, God rest his generous soul, and he was going to smooth out some scratches from the top of the Lee 6-cav mould and the sprue plate-bottom on a precision flat surface

yodar

Bret4207
02-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Get to an auto parts store and get some 320 or finer wet/dry paper (autobody sand paper). Find a flat smooth surface- a piece of glass from an old window works well (I know it's not "flat" like a surface plate, but it's relatively "flat") Dismount the sprue plate and gently rub the plate on the paper till the majority of the surface is raw metal. Same with the mould, rub in a circular motion and don't bear on it much at all. All your doing is polishing. It wouldn't hurt to take the sprue plate and just touch the holes with a Dremel type cone shaped stone- HAND HELD, NOT IN THE DREMEL!!! The polish the burr away in the bottom.

There is a sticky in Gunsmithing called "Shop Tips" that covers this more. You may not remove all the gouges, but you can make it work. Next time, clean the mould at the very first sign of a smear with 4/0 steel wool.

3006guns
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Old machinist trick for hand lapping and polishing: Rub the object in a figure "8" motion instead of circular. Reduces the tendancy to bear down heavier on one side, resulting in a more even surface.:mrgreen:

madman
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
+1 for the figure eight lapping. I used to to hand lap hydraulic pump components that way.

Bret4207
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM
+2 on the figure 8. I never even thought about it but that's how I do it. Was told to do so by Dad, guess it stuck.