PDA

View Full Version : Resizing 223 Brass Problems

deltaenterprizes
05-07-2023, 07:44 PM
I didn’t know where to put this, feel free to move it.
I had a patrol rifle class and needed 600 rounds of 223. I have some loaded but it is good brass with Federal small rifle primers that are very expensive right now so I did not want to use them. Going through my brass stash I found about 400 sized and primed cases and so I needed a couple hundred more.
I found some ugly brass and figured I’d use them and leave them on the range.
I dry tumbled them before I was going to deprime and then wet tumble them.
That is when the problems started!
My LEE universal depriming decapping pin broke, I fixed it and broke it again!
Some “cheap” 223 ammo that I ordered came in so I quit working on the brass and tried again today with the same problem.
I broke a decapping pin in my Dillon carbide 223 die and a case sucked out the pin in my RCBS die!
Measuring the Dillon pin it is a large pin and the RCBS pin is a small pin.
The flash hole of the case that sucked out the small pin is off center too.

Is this common with 223 brass today?
Is Federal, Speer and Hornady garbage too?

JimB..
05-07-2023, 08:02 PM
You don’t say what brand, but yes some tend to have off center flash holes.

The primers also corrode into the pockets, making it difficult to remove them in one piece.

FISH4BUGS
05-07-2023, 08:23 PM
When I did my last mass loading of .223, in preparing the brass, I noted that was one headstamp (don't remember what it was, but it was definitely foreign) that had a too small primer flash hole. Sucked out 2 RCBS pins also before I detected the pattern and scrapped all of that headstamp.

Hick
05-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Off center-- GFL or Fiocci?? I have some of those and they make me a little crazy, but in a comparison for case consistency and shooting they did so well I kept them.

rancher1913
05-07-2023, 10:16 PM
get a fw decapper, thats what all the brass processors use and they are tough

farmbif
05-07-2023, 11:22 PM
sound like you need ammo you can depend on for your class. get yourself box of 1000 from starline and never look back. norma and lapua brass is also excellent

Winger Ed.
05-07-2023, 11:44 PM
I've had that problem with 7.62 and 5.56 brass.
Sometimes I've run into necks so thick they want to change the shoulder dimension as the expander comes out.
It usually involves one particular head stamp.

Ya just need to identify them and toss 'em out.

Walks
05-08-2023, 03:22 AM
This is why I don't reload foreign made brass.

dverna
05-08-2023, 04:03 AM
get a fw decapper, thats what all the brass processors use and they are tough

Just ordered one. Thanks for posting the info. I have never heard of them but cheap if it works.

I have a few thousand brass to process that came from range pickups that include some Berdan cases and inspecting them was driving me NUTS.

cwlongshot
05-08-2023, 07:14 AM
I bought a Mighty Armory Univ. decapper long while back. Never had another issue with decapping.

Yes it happens. None of those manufacturers gives a whoot about second time uses of there cases!! Buy quality brands!! ALL 556 san a few go in scrap bin & traded for lead @ scrapper!!

I just finished a few 5 gal pails of sorting range brass. I have another almost full pail to get scrapped!!

CW

Rapier
05-08-2023, 07:43 AM
Did a magazine article on military 223 brass. Their specifications are much looser than commercial. Took 1,000 pieces and selected 100 at random, eyes closed. Checked the exterior dimensions, primer pockets and flash hole placements, plus case water capacities. The exterior dimensions varied based on chambers of course, the primer pockets all required swaging with a set full stroke stage. There were 5 flash holes off center. All but a very few had hanging punch scrap in the case, requiring a flash hole reaming. The capacities varied by as much as .6 of a gain on the small case. Processing of military brass match use can be done, it just takes a bit more attention to detail and more aggravation.
What I do is buy preprocessed and primed LC only and shoot it for sight settings, wet bore break in, etc., then do my process of it after firing in my chambers. Discarding the messed up stuff, off center, out of spec capacities, etc.

Way easier to buy commercial brass.

firefly1957
05-08-2023, 07:46 AM
I have had the same problems with 5.56 NATO brass I have picked up at the range . I forget the names on the brass it was marked with a X in a circle.
Another brass I have had terrible issues with is A MERC in 45 acp the brass is so soft the primer pockets expand at .45 acp pressures on the firing of factory ammo. Also some cases collapsed seating bullets I set any of it I find in scrap bin!

05-08-2023, 07:51 AM
Inspecting the brass range pick-up's is a test. The only thing, for me, that made it possible was a fiber optic extension on my mini-mag flashlight. Could stick the fiber optic stem right in the case and illuminate the internals. Still a test, but not as bad.

Three44s
05-08-2023, 09:39 AM
I guess I was lucky!

I have worked through a bunch of .223/5.56 brass and never broke anything. I used my Lee Collet neck sizer die as my decapper with it set short of neck sizing. I was real lucky in that no Berdan cases snuck in the mix though.

As far as stray dogs and cat brands go, I sorted by head stamp. Then segregated by length.

My long cases will be set aside for 7 mm TCU conversions.

My short brass is segregated into future .222 (or .221) conversion.

The middle of the road got trimmed and fully processed and it’s up for my bolt gun or AR usage.

I even saved many of the spent primers just in case this primer fiasco does not self correct soon enough.

It’s like butchering the pig! Put everything away except the “squeal”!

Three44s

Rich/WIS
05-08-2023, 10:45 AM
The x in the circle identifies it as being NATO standard, interchangeable between NATO countries and loaded to meet NATO spec. Military brass is not made with reloading in mind. Only brass I have experience with, limited at best, is PMC and it seemed to be okay.

myg30
05-08-2023, 10:55 AM
Finding a mix of 223/556 with shallow primer pockets. I swadge them on Dillon but still had to cut the depth as they were several thousands short of spec.
The lee decap die pin should push up as safety before breaking.

Quality is a thing of the past it seems with a lots of products.

Mike

Soundguy
05-08-2023, 10:58 AM
I didn’t know where to put this, feel free to move it.
I had a patrol rifle class and needed 600 rounds of 223. I have some loaded but it is good brass with Federal small rifle primers that are very expensive right now so I did not want to use them. Going through my brass stash I found about 400 sized and primed cases and so I needed a couple hundred more.
I found some ugly brass and figured I’d use them and leave them on the range.
I dry tumbled them before I was going to deprime and then wet tumble them.
That is when the problems started!
My LEE universal depriming decapping pin broke, I fixed it and broke it again!
Some “cheap” 223 ammo that I ordered came in so I quit working on the brass and tried again today with the same problem.
I broke a decapping pin in my Dillon carbide 223 die and a case sucked out the pin in my RCBS die!
Measuring the Dillon pin it is a large pin and the RCBS pin is a small pin.
The flash hole of the case that sucked out the small pin is off center too.

Is this common with 223 brass today?
Is Federal, Speer and Hornady garbage too?

I have seen off center flash holes in hornady brass before.. I bent a stem on a 45-70 deprime due to a flash hole that was way off centered..

MaryB
05-08-2023, 11:18 AM
I only use Lake City .223 brass... very few problems!

Thumbcocker
05-08-2023, 11:25 AM
Berdan primed?

higgins
05-08-2023, 07:38 PM
Many years ago there was some imported .223 brass that had Berdan primers. I recall only one headstamp being Berdan, but I don't remember what the headstamp was.

deltaenterprizes
05-08-2023, 09:30 PM
This is a mixture of headstamps from quite a while ago almost 10 years.
It got ugly and I wanted to clean it up and use it in the class and just leave it on the ground so I was trying to deprime it before wet tumbling it and I was having trouble.
I ordered a fw decapper and this brass will be the test for me to see if it works like I have been told!

Soundguy
05-09-2023, 09:29 AM
Many years ago there was some imported .223 brass that had Berdan primers. I recall only one headstamp being Berdan, but I don't remember what the headstamp was.

I've seen odd 223/556 before. I have seen tula steel case that was boxer.. and brass case that was berdan.. then the tula brassmaxx that came out of italy suposedly.. some of their 9mm and possibly other calibers had a case insert that made a ledge to support the bullet.. that stuff was boxer.. but not reloadable.. case capacity was low and the insert caused problems on the resize..

dale2242
05-10-2023, 07:29 AM
I only use LC 5.56 or commercial brass.
I`ve never had a problem with them.

deltaenterprizes
05-10-2023, 05:33 PM
I got my FA Decapper today and that is the end of the problem!

popper
05-11-2023, 10:13 AM
AMERC has the step. I process 223 for BO (personal use only) and never a problem with Lee decapper and range pickup stuff.

gifbohane
05-11-2023, 02:12 PM
AMERC is famous for being awful. I have not seen any in years.

nicholst55
05-18-2023, 10:37 AM
AMERC is famous for being awful. I have not seen any in years.

I toss any Amerc brass I find right into the recycle bucket. There are a couple of other brands that are junk also, but their names elude me. I have found oblong and off-center flash holes in new Winchester brass. Same with Remington. Everyone slips up once in a while.

shooterg
05-18-2023, 11:53 AM
Crimped primers ? I use LC brass but deprime with a die just for that as some above, then use a Sinclair pocket uniformer . After that, many reloads with no problem.

GONRA
05-19-2023, 11:38 PM
GONRA probably missed this, but one should always first segregate Range Brass by headstamp,
THEN process each batch.......

Three44s
05-26-2023, 09:15 PM
GONRA probably missed this, but one should always first segregate Range Brass by headstamp,
THEN process each batch.......

That’s how I do it as well.

Three44s

deces
05-27-2023, 04:28 AM
ALL 556 san a few go in scrap bin & traded for lead @ scrapper!!

I just finished a few 5 gal pails of sorting range brass. I have another almost full pail to get scrapped!!

CW

How much lead do you get in exchange for the brass per pound?