PDA

View Full Version : NOE Primer Die Set to Install Primer Anvils

MUSTANG
05-07-2023, 04:14 PM
As stated in other threads, my supply of Large Rifle Primers is dwindling. Primers in general are limited, availability has bee spotty to on-existent over the last 3 years, and prices have dramatically escalated – For me; Large Rifle Primers have been “Unobtanium”. Thus; I have been experimenting with “Remanufacturing my Primers”.

I experimented with a variety of techniques to seat Primer anvils over the Primer Mixture when “Remanufacturing Primers” using pliers, c-clamps, bench vises, and….. Was not satisfied with any of these processes, and felt I had a tool sitting in my reloading area that should be able to do the job better; called a reloading press.

My first thoughts went towards a “Press/Anvil” set up similar to what I have seen over the years available from Corbins.

I was concerned that I would not be able to FEEL the anvil seating in my Corbin CSP-1 Swage press. So I did some Internet research; only finding a similar product for the RCBS Summit Press.

The Anvil inserts from RCBS are specific to the Summit Press and do not work with my Rock Chucker or similar style presses. Unfortunately all the reloading dies, parts pieces and creations in my mind were not providing a solution. Then the inspiration hit me. I could go buy a 7/8 -14 TPI bolt from Amazon or a bolt specialty house for $7.00 to $39.00 each, which would form an Anvil at the top of my RCBS Rock Chucker. I had on hand a “Top Anvil” in the form of the 7/8 threaded bolt with an indention machined in the NOE Primer Die Set I had just purchased; so I did not need to buy a 7/8 – 14TPI bolt; But – I still had to deal with the other flat Anvil surface needed for the Ram of the Rock Chucker.

I got to thinking that what I needed was a “Drop In Insert” that would fit through the hole of a Shell Holder mounted in the Rock Chucker to form a flat bottom surface. A trip to Ace Hardware and rooting through their offering on bolts, washers, and many other hardware items I came up with the following for the Bottom Anvil:

1. RCBS #1 Shell Holder

2. A small clevis pin from Ace Hardware that drops into the hole in the RCBS #1 Shell Holder. It’s flat surface sits slightly below the flat top portion of the #1 Shell holder.

3. A small washer that the interior hole is just slightly larger than an LP/LR primer cup. The outside of the washer is close to the size of the RCBS Ram and #1 Shell holder, making centering the Primer Cup in the Ram/Top Anvil arrangement fairly easy.

To seat anvils using this equipment works fairly well. To set it up, screw the NOE Primer Die Set bolt “UP” into the RCBS (or other) Press. I screw it all the way into the press, and then turn it back 1/8 inch turn.

The bottom configuration is fairly simple. Insert a RCBS #1 shell holder (or similar sized other shell holder) into the ram. Drop the small clevis pin into the hole of the shell holder. The RCBS #1 shell holder allows the top of the Clevis pin to be positioned below the top Flat Round portion of the Shell Holder. I tried an RCBS #3 Shell holder; but the Clevis Pin would not drop down all the way; keeping the Washer from sitting flat on the Shell Holder Rim.

Using the parts described previously; a LR/LP primer cup will sit with just a slight amount of play as seen in the next picture. The Primer Cup sits slightly higher than the top of the washer. An Anvil placed into position can be then pressed into place (over a previously prepared primer cup filled with the Primer Mixture of users choice). A primer cup with anvil ready for seating appears below.

Seating the primer requires a slow closing of the ram, allowing the 3 prongs of the anvil to center into the primer, and a slow light pressure to seat the anvil into the primer cup and primer mixture. (Note: For most primer mixtures – it is better to have a wet primer mixture to preclude detonation during anvil seating.). Often a slight click can be felt as the three primer legs seat into the primer cup. This does not always happen; so a light firm pressure, lift the ram and inspect the primer, and press again if the anvil is not fully seated.

I found this system and process an improvement over all my other attempts. It has decreased the time to seat anvils, and I think has produced a more consistent method of seating.

MrWolf
05-07-2023, 06:40 PM
Very nice setup. Thinking a bit outside the box. Shame it has gotten the point of making primers because of supply/price.

deces
05-07-2023, 06:47 PM
Great info on your set up. What are you doing to remove the anvils from the cups?

MUSTANG
05-07-2023, 07:27 PM
Great info on your set up. What are you doing to remove the anvils from the cups?

See my other post on Prepping Primer Cups: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?456428-NOE-Primer-Die-Set-to-Remove-Primer-Dimples