PDA

View Full Version : Correct name of this screw?

David2011
05-06-2023, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know this screw's correct catalog name? I want to buy at least one; maybe several but have no idea of its proper name. I want to replace a set screw with one of these. There's no room for the larger clamping/locking handles and having to grab a hex wrench every time I want to use the fine feed on my mill is a pain.

Winger Ed.
05-06-2023, 04:43 PM
It's a type of Ronix toggle bolt.

David2011
05-06-2023, 05:42 PM
The Ronix bolts seem to put tension on themselves when the lever is flipped down. This is just a handle to turn the screw without tools. The one in the photo locks the motor belt tension on the mill by screwing into a sliding rod. My Delta drill press has one on the quill stop that also just screws onto a shaft without applying tension.

country gent
05-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Check Mc Master Carr they have a thumb screw the handle is adjustable rationally. The handle is splined to the head pull out and set to where you want it

David2011
05-06-2023, 06:47 PM
McMaster Carr was my first place to look. It's not listed as a locking screw, clamping screw or thumb screw. The set screw I'm wanting to replace is on the fine feed collar. Move it to the right position and the big levers work to work the quill drill press style. Loosen the set screw, move the collar to the left and it engages the fine feed. The area where it rotates is pretty narrow and the paddle that flips 180° is perfect for the confined area. I just need the actual correct name for this particular screw.

country gent
05-06-2023, 06:53 PM
If you cant find one get with me and send me a bolt and Ill make you one.

Teddy (punchie)
05-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Is that a mark on the shank of the bolt? Look like a crown??

Hannibal
05-06-2023, 07:28 PM
Looks like a long set screw with a wing tab added to me. Nothing special.

country gent
05-06-2023, 08:04 PM
I believe thats the seam between the shank and the pin that holds the lever in

David2011
05-06-2023, 08:06 PM
If you cant find one get with me and send me a bolt and Ill make you one.

Thanks. I can make them; was just trying to buy them. I have other projects I'm trying to finish including a radio controlled 1/4 scale Piper L-4 Grasshopper.

Is that a mark on the shank of the bolt? Look like a crown??

I think you're seeing the pin that holds the wing.

Looks like a long set screw with a wing tab added to me. Nothing special.

Nothing special if you have a drawer full already. Clearly some company somewhere makes or made them in both Imperial and metric sizes for lots of other companies. A search for 'jet wing screw' will find them as Jet replacement parts but if they give a thread size rather than a tool part number, they're all metric. My mill was built in Taiwan in 1980 and all of the threads I've encountered so far are Imperial.

On this application there is very little load on the screw. It's for the quill micro adjust and just keeps the drive collar engaged or disengaged by going into one of two grooves in the shaft on which it rides. I could even make one from a brass screw. Set screws tend to be hardened so not as attractive as a starting point. As the picture shows, there's not a lot of room when the collar is to the left. Hex wrench is not kept there; just for illustration purposes.

BLAHUT
05-06-2023, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know this screw's correct catalog name? I want to buy at least one; maybe several but have no idea of its proper name. I want to replace a set screw with one of these. There's no room for the larger clamping/locking handles and having to grab a hex wrench every time I want to use the fine feed on my mill is a pain.

Toggle bolt. Now you just need to know if metric or not ? What thread pitch is ? What thread count is ?

country gent
05-06-2023, 08:46 PM
How deep are the grooves it locks into, Im thinking a spring plunger set screw and just turn till it snaps into the groove

Teddy (punchie)
05-06-2023, 10:13 PM
Transom bolt or Clamp bolt

maybe they make them small enough

Thumbcocker
05-07-2023, 10:18 AM
Alvin

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-07-2023, 11:17 AM
Antiluce or Dropcatch bolt is pretty close...maybe close enough?

Cap'n Morgan
05-07-2023, 12:55 PM
Why not use a longer screw and add a small T-handle or knurled head?

David2011
05-07-2023, 09:27 PM
Toggle bolt. Now you just need to know if metric or not ? What thread pitch is ? What thread count is ?

Searches for toggle bolt only come up with the sheetrock bolts. That was one of my early thoughts. Do you have a source/link that calls them toggle bolts? They're 5/18x18 NC.

How deep are the grooves it locks into, Im thinking a spring plunger set screw and just turn till it snaps into the groove

The grooves are about 1/8" deep. That's a possibility but pulling the collar out to disengage would likely still require a tool.

Transom bolt or Clamp bolt

maybe they make them small enough

Transom bolts as in those for outboards are similar but far bigger. None of the outlets like McMaster, Grainger, MSC, etc have them as clamp bolts. What I want is definitely made in small enough sizes. I already have them in this and other machines; just need more.

Alvin

Sorry; don't understand the comment.

Antiluce or Dropcatch bolt is pretty close...maybe close enough?

They're similar but these don't have a shoulder and the toggle is fixed to a single pivot point.

Why not use a longer screw and add a small T-handle or knurled head?

See the photo in post #10. No room for a T handle and not much for a knurled head but the knurled head is something I am considering.

shaune509
05-07-2023, 10:08 PM
Would a modification using a spring-loaded locator pin work?
Pem-serts used to have one I saw on there sample display, it was 5-16dia with 3-16 stroke.
Shaune509

WILCO
05-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know this screw's correct catalog name?

I can find similar items online, but not exact.

Maybe take it to a "Mom and Pop" hardware store and ask them to order you one?

David2011
05-13-2023, 01:20 PM
I can find similar items online, but not exact.

Maybe take it to a "Mom and Pop" hardware store and ask them to order you one?

If I can’t find it I have little faith that the 20 year olds at the hardware store will be helpful. They couldn’t help with stove bolts. Tractor Supply seems to have good quality fasteners. I’ll just buy some and make my own.

The only name by which I’ve found them is “leaf screw” but that seems to be terminology used only by Jet. An internet search for leaf screw turns up mostly screws for table leaves.

TD1886
05-13-2023, 01:32 PM
Have you thought about making one? If you do you can add a nut to lock/tension it.

mac60
05-20-2023, 01:58 PM
I believe it's called a lever screw.

shooterg
05-21-2023, 01:41 PM
Grind one wing off a wing screw ?

hiram
05-21-2023, 02:56 PM
I have a Delta drill press. It uses that screw. On the parts list it is called a lock screw.

Lock Screw Obsolete - Not Available
Part Number:1311037

Discontinued