PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Bubba can tighten that thing up!

Texas by God
05-05-2023, 04:00 PM
For your viewing chagrin I present the latest stray dog that has appeared.
A poor 06 Winchester .22 pump that long ago ran into Bubba in Oklahoma.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230505/28baf18dcecfb6101d37a480743ea90a.jpg

I’m just getting it back in firing condition.
It locks up good and the bore(other than two burn marks) looks surprisingly ok with a tight muzzle end.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230505/25f680c4141362625d06f2e485b5004a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230505/ce15f673eac555e13af8ee6dacc434d5.jpg
I have no idea what the brazing is for but by golly that barrel is tight now. So’s them magazine tube thingamabobs……[emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HWooldridge
05-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Probably a "farm repair"...

45workhorse
05-05-2023, 04:36 PM
Nice patina on the brass:kidding:

Rapier
05-05-2023, 04:46 PM
A nice looking gun from the parking lot, but wait.......it gets worse.

Will see your Win 60 and raise you an A-5

John Taylor
05-05-2023, 04:52 PM
That was a gallery gun at one time. The bore will most likely have tight spot where the weld is. I have several model 61 barrels that will work by taking about 1/8" off the chamber end.

farmbif
05-05-2023, 05:24 PM
bubba got them loose bits secured real good

Texas by God
05-05-2023, 06:52 PM
With Jack First’s help, I hope to upgrade it to Working Wallhanger Conversation Starter.
It needs a mag tube and firing pin retainer to see what’s what. A .24 caliber brush went thru the bore steady with no rough spots.
Mr. Taylor,
What features distinguish it as a Gallery gun?
The rifle buttstock?
It’s S-L-LR according to the barrel stamp.
It does give off that farm repair vibe- but it needs a bit of baling wire(Unifix) on it to complete the experience [emoji1787]

BTW, that A5 is still good to go, ain’t it?

Rockingkj
05-05-2023, 07:25 PM
Thinking replacing the black tape at the wrist with bailing wire might be just the ticket. ��
Seriously looks like a fun one to plink with.

405grain
05-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Pump action rifles just have a unique charm to them. They're so light, fast, and fun to shoot. Even as beat up as that Winchester is, a jackrabbit would be proud to get dusted off by it.

beemer
05-05-2023, 08:55 PM
I have seen a lot of very poor repairs on old guns around here. Wired up stocks, nails improvised for firing pins, rubber bands to reinforce weak springs and double barrels spot brazed together. Some look to never seen oil since new and a few were dangerous on the back end too. Most were a product of depression era repairs. There was no money, if you had any it bought food and clothes. They still needed a gun and did the best they could.

Hannibal
05-05-2023, 08:59 PM
My God. Is it really getting to the point where things like these are the only 'project guns' to be found?

Texas by God
05-05-2023, 09:26 PM
My God. Is it really getting to the point where things like these are the only 'project guns' to be found?

This one found me. If I wasn’t a close friend to the family I’d say NOPE.
I’ve a small pile of bolt action quality project guns. Lord willing, I’ll get to them too.

Hannibal
05-05-2023, 10:13 PM
I've done a few of those too. Hopefully no more will find me. I just have a hard time turning them loose after spending that much time with them.

Winger Ed.
05-06-2023, 12:49 AM
Some gallery guns had the S,L,LR option for chambering, but they'd be sort of rare.
The pumps Winchester marketed to the carnival shooting galleries were usually chambered only for .22 shorts and sold in bulk.
And had 'WINCHESTER' very deeply stamped on the left side of the receiver to get some free advertising.

Being S,L,LR, it was probably bought by someone shopping at the local small town hardware store or in the Sear's catalog.
Guns sold in the city usually don't have near the 'mileage' as country guns.

Put some fresh electrical tape on the grip, so it doesn't look tacky,,,, and it should be good to go.

stubshaft
05-06-2023, 02:55 AM
Good ole Bubba...Taught him evrything he knows:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
05-06-2023, 11:06 AM
On the bright side, no worries about making it a truck gun!

John Taylor
05-07-2023, 03:11 PM
With Jack First’s help, I hope to upgrade it to Working Wallhanger Conversation Starter.
It needs a mag tube and firing pin retainer to see what’s what. A .24 caliber brush went thru the bore steady with no rough spots.
Mr. Taylor,
What features distinguish it as a Gallery gun?
The rifle buttstock?
It’s S-L-LR according to the barrel stamp.
It does give off that farm repair vibe- but it needs a bit of baling wire(Unifix) on it to complete the experience [emoji1787]

BTW, that A5 is still good to go, ain’t it?

The mag tube is cut for a speed loader. This was common for gallery guns so they could be loaded fast. I don't think I have seen an 06 marked on the side with Winchester but the model 62 and 61 used the Winchester marking on the side of the receiver on some , usually with some red in the letters. Also some of the gallery guns had a way to attach a chain to the barrel, a small metal band around the barrel.

eastbank
05-07-2023, 03:36 PM
a friend has his greatgrands winchester 1897 pump 12 ga that good loose from firing or screwing up the take down parts, anyway it has three small tac welds at the take down joints. it shoots ok, but its not a takedown any more.

Gtek
05-07-2023, 03:54 PM
File in, polish, a little scrolling and your initials. Farm Bling?

Rapier
05-07-2023, 06:01 PM
If you really want to invest the time in this old gun, looks to me like you could cut the weld off without disturbing the barrel too much and heat the brass/bronze braze and brush it off with a wire brush when runny. If you can get the stock off, it can be duplicated in straight grain American Black Walnut, which was a Win utility stock wood for many decades.
If you can find Bill from Wind River Rifle Co, they have copies of the old Win lettering. They were in Ft Walton Beach, FL a while, and moved. They also make old spec barrels and have a duplicator lathe, plus rifling machines.
I have some straight grain that I carried in supply for Bill.

Texas by God
05-07-2023, 08:43 PM
I wondered about the cartridge port. It’s most definitely hogged out.
I bought an 06 from a widow for $40 when I was a teen. It was the little carbine with Gumwood stocks, not walnut.
It featured not one dirt dauber ring but two and would shoot all over the place except where the sights were aimed…….
Once I told my brother “watch this!” and I looked at him, closed my eyes, pointed the little gun pondward……and hit a turtle!
Time must have been up for that turtle[emoji848]
I will leave the restoration of this one to others after I make it at least useful.

pworley1
05-07-2023, 10:02 PM
I never get tired of looking at good gunsmithing.

indian joe
05-08-2023, 12:18 AM
I wondered about the cartridge port. It’s most definitely hogged out.
I bought an 06 from a widow for $40 when I was a teen. It was the little carbine with Gumwood stocks, not walnut.
It featured not one dirt dauber ring but two and would shoot all over the place except where the sights were aimed…….
Once I told my brother “watch this!” and I looked at him, closed my eyes, pointed the little gun pondward……and hit a turtle!
Time must have been up for that turtle[emoji848]
I will leave the restoration of this one to others after I make it at least useful.

I dont think I would try to torch that brass off - takes full red heat to do that - once already would be enough I reckon - turn it down neat in the lathe maybe?

indian joe
05-08-2023, 12:26 AM
The mag tube is cut for a speed loader. This was common for gallery guns so they could be loaded fast. I don't think I have seen an 06 marked on the side with Winchester but the model 62 and 61 used the Winchester marking on the side of the receiver on some , usually with some red in the letters. Also some of the gallery guns had a way to attach a chain to the barrel, a small metal band around the barrel.

My brother has a model 61 - we thought that gun was kinda special - hold the trigger down and the last mm of the action stroke she fired - put 21 shorts into a fence post in 6.5 seconds the first try . Am told the remington 14 pump gun worked same ?

John Taylor
05-08-2023, 09:29 AM
My brother has a model 61 - we thought that gun was kinda special - hold the trigger down and the last mm of the action stroke she fired - put 21 shorts into a fence post in 6.5 seconds the first try . Am told the remington 14 pump gun worked same ?

Never tried it on a model 61. The 1897 shotgun will do that and possibly the 1890 and 06. The 1890 and 06 have a trigger block that works off the carrier. When the carrier gos down ( bolt closed) the trigger block clears and the hammer will drop if there is pressure on the trigger.

Texas by God
05-09-2023, 06:32 PM
Well, the parts from Jack First was exactly what it needed to save it from the trash can( just kidding).
The little tiny almost gone front bead and the Big Vee of the rear sight and my wobbly self combined still could terrorize a soda can at 12 yards.
By the way, I tested the slam fire situation and nope, not this one. The hammer follows the bolt but doesn’t fire the cartridge.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230509/b56daa332565ef4ce35772171d722902.jpg

indian joe
05-09-2023, 09:03 PM
Never tried it on a model 61. The 1897 shotgun will do that and possibly the 1890 and 06. The 1890 and 06 have a trigger block that works off the carrier. When the carrier gos down ( bolt closed) the trigger block clears and the hammer will drop if there is pressure on the trigger.

That 61 was my first gunsmithing project - every so often it would dump several rounds into the action at once - theres a little T shaped jigger that is the magazine retainer - it was worn down - made a new one of those and in the process we discovered the trigger trick (dont remember the exact mechanics of that its almost 50 years ago) . a mate had a Browning pump 22 at the same time - it didnt work on that one.

HWooldridge
05-09-2023, 10:43 PM
What’s amazing to me is how well many of the old .22’s still shoot, even in really bad cosmetic condition.

My great uncle had an old pump Winchester that used shorts thru long rifle - he had owned it since he was a teenager, no finish left anywhere but it would tear one ragged hole at 20 steps. I don’t think he ever cleaned it in the 30 years I knew him prior to his passing at 96. I bet we killed thousands of rabbits and squirrels with it.

samari46
05-10-2023, 12:14 AM
Have a 1895 mauser in 7mm that bubba used a pipe cutter to shorten the barrel. Soldered the front sight probably with a torch as there is scaling on the barrel. Frank

Hickok
05-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Tell everyone it was an original Henry rifle used by the Indians at the Little Big Horn!

Most people today would believe it!.........:bigsmyl2:

Texas by God
05-10-2023, 02:59 PM
I shot it again today a mixture of Shorts, CB Long, and Long Rifle.
I told the owner to bring more .22 shells when he comes to pick it up!

jdgabbard
05-15-2023, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure I could prouder of an Oklahoma Farm Gunsmith. That's a fine repair if I say so myself.... :lol:

dogrunner
05-15-2023, 05:13 PM
A nice looking gun from the parking lot, but wait.......it gets worse.

Will see your Win 60 and raise you an A-5

Well hell'fire, Bubber DID round out the crack starter tho!!