PDA

View Full Version : .44s

wilecoyote
05-04-2023, 09:43 PM
apples & oranges, I know, but my question arises from the fact that our laws allow me a limited number of handguns, so I have to weigh each purchase so as not to exceed the limit and/or preclude other purchases_
I have the possibility to buy now a .44 8,3/8" Super Redhawk.
I usually use with reasonable care 8,3/8" S&W 29-2 and 10'5 Silhouette_
I cast and hand load, not as hunter but only as enthusiast plinker.
I've never used/tried a Ruger.
I ask those who use or have used both 29s and SRH if the possible new purchase could make sense or could be a disappointment, or else_
thanks to all !

Dom
05-04-2023, 10:08 PM
As one who has both , S&W 629 44mag, 4" Bbl , & a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" Bbl. Both are excellent & accurate revolvers. The Ruger is a heavier duty revolver if you are going to use heavy , max loads on a regular basis. If moderate loads are the main loads you will be shooting on a regular basis, either revolver will give excellent service & accuracy. Being that the Ruger is heavier , even light to moderate loads will be more pleasant to shoot ..

HWooldridge
05-04-2023, 10:10 PM
A Super Redhawk is a BIG revolver. A friend of mine has one and I’ve shot it many times.

I currently have a model 29 with 6-1/2” barrel and once owned both 4” and 8-3/8” versions.

My opinion only but I believe the Smiths carry better and the Ruger is a little easier on the hands. Of course, full power 44 mag loads are tough to control in any gun, so it might be a tossup. Personally, I prefer the S&W but I would be happy with the Ruger if it came my way for a good price.

rintinglen
05-05-2023, 02:08 PM
For me, the Super Redhawk is too much of a good thing. 54-58 ounces, depending on barrel length is just more than I care to try to manipulate. I prefer the trigger on the S&W, though I understand that the Ruger is capable of considerable improvement. I sold mine without regret, but still have a 7 1/2 Redhawk and a 6" 629. I sold my 8 3/8's Smith 29-2 simply because I shot the 629 a bit better and I could use the 1300 bucks.

MT Gianni
05-05-2023, 04:35 PM
It depends on use. The Ruger will work well if you shoot it at the range and hunt from a stand. I didn't care for packing a 5 1/2" Redhawk which is much lighter than a Super RH.

RichardB
05-05-2023, 05:03 PM
I find the lock time on the Ruger to be far longer than the S&W. Takes extra concentration on hold and follow thru for me. If I lose that a bit, the Ruger definitely throws the shots farther afield than the Smith

Iwsbull
05-06-2023, 12:12 AM
I believe the Super Redhawk is one of the finest off the shelf hunting revolvers there is. It is optics ready and the trigger can be worked to a decent level and a stronger hammer spring cuts down lock time also they are very accurate in general. They are also probably the strongest double action out there so they are a bit more forgiving of enthusiast reloading endeavors. The Houge tamer grips are also a nice aid for said loads.

wilecoyote
05-06-2023, 01:59 AM
...as a vintage S&W only aficionado, I am reading your comments with all my greatest interest...

megasupermagnum
05-06-2023, 03:12 AM
I'm a big Ruger fan, but I'm not sure why you would add a third big 44 mag when you are so limited. Why not a 454 Casull Super Redhawk? Or if smaller, that GP100 5" blued in 327 Federal is the cats meow. My favorite handgun for sure.

Sasquatch-1
05-06-2023, 07:15 AM
I have a Redhawk with 7.5" barrel, a S&W 629 6.5" barrel, a S&W 29 with 6.5" barrel and recently sold a Super Redhawk with a 9.5" barrel. The Rugers weigh a lot more than the S&W's. I personally think the Ruger will stand up to a lot more abuse than the S&W's and is just as accurate. If I were looking for another 44, I would not hesitate to get another Ruger.

contender1
05-06-2023, 09:21 AM
I too have both a Model 29 S&W in 44 mag,, and a couple of Ruger Redhawks & a Super Redhawk in .44 mag. I also have discussed, at length with a few well known folks who used these guns for serious competition, and many who used them for hunting.

In short,, a lot of experience with both.

Many people will speak of the S&W & it's action feel, lock time, etc over a Ruger. Yes, they are different,, but they are (2) different designs. Lock time is often used as a point,, but VERY few people can tell an actual difference. A world champion revolver gentleman told me it's often the weight of the gun that affected the "difference" instead of the lock time. And lock time is more important to a serious speed shooter.
Then there is the long term use and heavy loads. Silhouette shooters often have their S&W revolvers "tuned & re-worked" after a lot of use.
Rugers do not exhibit the same issues.
They are a heavier gun. You mentioned an 8-3/8" Ruger. Unless it's a special European version, Ruger factory didn't offer barrels in that length. They have 7-1/2" barrels here.
But Rugers are built to outlast a few generations of shooters. Designed to be tougher, withstand more use, and fewer issues in the mechanics of them. Yes,, the lock time is a little slower,, but a properly polished action can make a Ruger SWEET! Fewer internal parts in a Ruger,, makes them less prone to wear & breakage issues.
And as noted above,, you can go from "mild to wild" in your selection of loads in a Ruger.
Shootability,, both shoot very well. But the best advice I can offer here is to "Get a set of grips that fit YOUR hand." If rubber works,, go for it. Custom wood is also very desirable. And accuracy is good in both guns.

The Super Redhawk came about due to a very few Redhawks that had the barrel separate from the frame long ago. I know,, because my first Redhawk in .44 Mag was also the first one Ruger received with the barrel broken off of it. It was a very confusing issue,, and the Ruger engineers THOUGHT the problem was a "weak point" where the barrel screwed to the frame, combined with the pressures. So, they developed the Super Redhawk. It turned out that was NOT the problem, and it was a combination of barrel lube, left to dry for an extended period of time, combined with hard torquing during assy. But by the time they discovered the "why" they had already introduced the Super with the extended frame portion.

It comes down to what YOU want out of it. But in MY very HUMBLE opinion,, if I got down to having to choose one over the other to keep,, I'd keep my Ruger. Even though my S&W is a nice one. (Model 29-2.)

murf205
05-06-2023, 10:19 AM

I have to give the Super Red Hawk a vote and this is coming from a dedicated Smith&Wesson addict. My 9 1/2" SRH has a scope as you can see but never the less, it is the most accurate hand gun I've ever owned and I can attribute part of that because of the weight. It is one big dude! But it can handle the heavy loads that us 44 guys sometimes want to put through our guns just for fun. As a target shooter, the weight should not bother you but if you ever decide to hunt with it there are a number of carry options that will not break your back. I have owned 2 Red Hawks and this SRH and they all have been tack drivers. Apologies to members here who, I'm sure, are tired of looking at my ugly duckling SRH but it just keeps delivering superb accuracy time after time with any boolit.
My Smith and Wesson experience includes a 4" 629, 2-6 1/2" 29-2's, 8 3/8" 29-2, 4" 29-2 and a ported 6" 629. All but the last one are good guns and accurate to boot but I don't stress the older guns with top loads. My favorite load is 16.6 grs of 2400 and a 429421 Lyman boolit that every 44 I've ever owned showed a preference for. As a plus, you can load 2400 down without fear and also can use std primers. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide. Murf

Frank V
05-06-2023, 04:12 PM
wilecoyote, let me suggest another option, have you looked at the Ruger Super Blackhawk? They are a single action .44 mag. with an unfluted cylinder & 7-1/2” bbl. They are more the size of the Redhawk, & are very durable and accurate. A single action might be unique enough to warrant a purchase with your restrictions.
Let us know what you decide.

wilecoyote
05-06-2023, 05:52 PM
They are a heavier gun. You mentioned an 8-3/8" Ruger. Unless it's a special European version, Ruger factory didn't offer barrels in that length. They have 7-1/2" barrels here.
thanks for remark:
here you see the barrel length I'm referring to.
the measurements of the barrel are those communicated by the seller, and may be inaccurate.313756

murf205
05-06-2023, 06:39 PM
That's the one. Buy it if they don't want an arm and a leg. Mine chrono's 1400 fps with 300 gr Lee GC boolits and it is scary accurate with that combo. Another advantage of that long barrel is that velocities are higher without straining. My 4" 629 does around 1050 fps with the above 16.6gr load and the SRH does 1225 fps with the same load.

wilecoyote
05-06-2023, 06:39 PM
I'm a big Ruger fan, but I'm not sure why you would add a third big 44 mag when you are so limited. Why not a 454 Casull Super Redhawk? Or if smaller, that GP100 5" blued in 327 Federal is the cats meow. My favorite handgun for sure.

...I have tried and found calibers such as .454, .460 and .500 unnecessarily annoying and concussive for my amateur use.
in reality I simply believe that I have an inexplicable predilection for .44 magnums from 6.1/2" up, and the flexibility of the .44 in reloading has led me to accumulate dies, molds, etc. not even remotely comparable to what I have for other handgun calibers.
about the SRH, my interest arises from the possibility of having a strong platform for .44 without punishing other not-so-heavy-duty handguns_
(goin' smaller, my .357s allow me a reasonable playground, without exceeding the known limits of my vintage S&Ws).

wilecoyote
05-06-2023, 06:52 PM
That's the one. Buy it if they don't want an arm and a leg. Mine chrono's 1400 fps with 300 gr Lee GC boolits and it is scary accurate with that combo.
...not rare/unusual as your never-seen-here Black Beauty, but I will heed the advice:razz:

wilecoyote
05-06-2023, 07:20 PM
wilecoyote, let me suggest another option, have you looked at the Ruger Super Blackhawk? They are a single action .44 mag. with an unfluted cylinder & 7-1/2” bbl. They are more the size of the Redhawk, & are very durable and accurate. A single action might be unique enough to warrant a purchase with your restrictions.
Let us know what you decide.
Sure it's an option, although I've never owned a single action.
makes me think that the handle becomes problematic with heavy loads, due to the rotation of the gun under recoil, but I admit that I have never tried it...

murf205
05-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Mine is stainless and I sprayed it with Lauer brand coating and baked it in the oven at the recommended temp. I hunt in the southeast and the forest is very thick and the ranges are close, as in 20-30 yds at most. Bright finished guns are a handicap.

contender1
05-06-2023, 10:10 PM
Ok, thanks for the picture wilecoyote. Looks to be the 9-1/2" version.
And, as noted,, they do seem to be a very accurate gun to many.

The fact you have limited choices in Italy,, I doubt you could "try before you buy" a Super Blackhawk. And,, unless you get someone to properly teach you HOW to handle a single-action handgun, you might very well dislike the grip frame under recoil with a Super Blackhawk. (Many over here complain about them too!)

So,, if the price is fair to you, and you want one of the toughest, most rugged, yet accurate .44 Mag double-action handgun built,, buy it.

Sasquatch-1
05-07-2023, 09:20 AM
Most of the complaints I hear about the Super Blackhawks comes from the squared off trigger guard biting the fingers under heavy recoil. I actually think the SBH is easier to handle than the SRH with the same barrel lengths.

Bigslug
05-07-2023, 09:58 AM
The optic-mount capability of the Ruger, plus its ability to take toasty loads would be the big draw, but in a "limited number allowed" setting, I'd be thinking very hard about which cartoon-long revolvers to keep and which ones to sell off.

Tracy
05-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Another one to consider if you find one, is the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. It has a different handle shape that makes the recoil easier to handle than the standard Super Blackhawk grip frame.

Personally, I would go for the Super Redhawk. I have three Super Redhawks and have had a similar number of S&W 29s and 629s. Massad Ayoob once wrote an article for Guns and Ammo about 4" 29s and 629s. He said that in order to always have a functional N frame .44, he had to keep three of them in rotation with one at the gunsmith being rebuilt, one basically on "light duty" and the most recently rebuilt in full duty operation.
About the time he wrote that article, I was trying to daily carry a 4" 29. When I started having problems with the first one, instead of sending it to a gunsmith I traded it in for another one. I went through about 3 of them before I gave up on N frame .44s.

None of my Redhawks or Super Redhawks have ever given me any trouble even though two of them are .454 Casulls, which are way harder on the gun than .44 Mag.

A couple of people mentioned weight, including one who said a Super Redhawk is heavier than a regular Redhawk. In fact a Super Redhawk is slightly lighter. With 7-1/2 inch barrels in .44 Magnum, a Super Redhawk is 1 oz lighter than a regular Redhawk. And, while I couldn't find the specs for an 8-3/8 inch Model 29, the S&W website lists a 6-1/2 inch Model 29 at 48.3 oz: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-29-s-w-classics-6-1-2-blue
Ruger shows the 7-1/2 inch Super Redhawk at 53 oz: https://ruger.com/products/superRedhawkStandard/specSheets/5501.html
So it looks like there's really not a huge weight penalty in going for the SRH.

Bottom line: I would buy the SRH. Then if I needed to sell a revolver later so I could get something else, I would decide at that time which one I really wanted to keep. I know which one it would be for me, but that's beside the point.

414gates
05-07-2023, 11:02 AM
The Ruger SR is a more durable revolver than a model 29, which only matters if you shoot full powder loads all the time.

I have a Redhawk still, and used to have a model 29 as well. I shoot better with the Redhawk than the model 29, not because one is better, but because the Redhawk is heavier, 7.5" and the 29 was 4". It is amusing for my fellow club members to see me shoot IPSC with the long Redhawk.

Trigger wise, no startling difference comes to mind, and they both have big cylinders that seem to need an age to turn, compared to k-frame revolvers.

The Super Redhawk is an excellent buy. Grab it while you can - they don't come up used [ at least on this tip of the dark continent ] very often at all.

murf205
05-07-2023, 11:09 AM
wilecoyote, how many guns are you allowed to have in your country?

wilecoyote
05-07-2023, 06:00 PM
wilecoyote, how many guns are you allowed to have in your country?

...regarding handguns, the current laws allow a total of 12 for sporting use, whatever that means, and 3 considered for common use, i.e. for defense. this is the intention of the legislator.
(no handguns are allowed for hunting, rifles only) _
basically 15 handguns which is certainly more than I want and can keep in use.
the superior office that decides how to classify a weapon between these two main categories periodically updates taking into account the reality of manufacturers and importers, who otherwise would see many weapons commercially penalized, or in favor of particular types of competition, for example IPSC. the situation becomes fluid and byzantine when weapons hitherto considered in one category are moved to another. this has created and still creates confusion, typical of our legislative system, among the competent offices and among the shooters. I'm lucky enough to have good and competent people in my reference office but I still tend to limit myself in purchases, if only for economic reasons, being generally not inclined to sell.
currently I try to limit myself to a few vintage revolvers in .357 and .44, regardless their classification, in any case totally quite under to the allowed number, in order to be able to easily buy tomorrow any handgun which may be of real interest to me.
(the classification also affects rifles/carbines, which can mostly be divided into hunting guns and sporting guns.
hunting rifles have no limitation on their number, while sporting rifles fall within the limit of 12 above that they must share with sporting handguns).
I could go on with other legislative oddities, quibbles and exceptions, but in practice I can say that I have what I want in terms of long and short guns. the time and money to use them properly is another matter:smile:
Thanks for your interest !

murf205
05-08-2023, 08:06 AM
That time and money thing leaves a tooth mark on a lot of us. Do you have a waiting period to receive your guns when you buy one?

wilecoyote
05-08-2023, 05:53 PM
That time and money thing leaves a tooth mark on a lot of us. Do you have a waiting period to receive your guns when you buy one?

Fortunately no: I have a license renewable every 5 years which allows me, among other things, to buy and take home any gun permitted by our regulations_
Within 72 hours max., I have to report it to my competent office which registers my purchase_

megasupermagnum
05-08-2023, 07:01 PM
Thats pretty good. I was thinking you could only have 3 or 4 max the way your post was, and I figured it was tougher to buy. Really that's not a lot different than a lot of the USA. A lot of states require a permit to purchase handguns and even rifles. I'm not aware of any state that has a limit to the number, but you really aren't that worse off. There's not a lot of people that can afford to buy 12+ handguns anywhere, at least not 12 good ones.

With that in mind, I think you would be perfectly happy with a Super Redhawk in 44 magnum. I own the regular Redhawk myself, and it's a completely different handgun. The only thing the two really share is the cylinder. Everything else mechanically is different. The Redhawk is a great handgun too if you are interested in that. The trigger design is kind of goofy, but they work fine. I'm going to say the super Redhawk is a superior design as far as the trigger, they are easier to get really nice double action triggers with them. I'm not sure what people are talking about with the locktime. There's absolutely no way a human being could tell the different in lock time between a Super Redhawk and a Model 29. I can't find the numbers online, but I'd be really surprised if it were more than a couple of milliseconds difference, and honestly I see no reason to believe a Model 29 would be faster. It's nothing but an excuse people use, kind of like blaming the wind.

The Super Redhawks have no known problems I'm aware of. You do hear about that barrel breaking thing, but as stated earlier by a member, that was only a select few handguns from a known mistake in manufacturing. It's not a design flaw or anything like that. If anything the barrels on the Rugers are superior to the new S&W's, and at least as good as your older model 29's. I don't keep up on exact timelines, but your 29-2 might be a pinned barrel, which some consider superior because they can't get thread choke. All new revolvers use interference fit threads for the barrels, and you can find thread choke on any new revolver. The new Rugers have been pretty good about it, new S&W's not as much, but maybe that's changed in the last year or two. The size/weight of the super redhawk is overblown. It's a big revolver, yes, but so is a model 29. If you are happy with that 10 5/8" bull barrel model 29, you will be just fine with any super redhawk. I've never heard of anyone wearing out a super redhawk, they seem to be very durable over time, much more so than any model 29. They also do not have the habit of rotating the cylinder under recoil like a model 29 does. A super redhawk is perfectly suited to far more than 44 magnum, hence they come in 454 casull and 480 ruger. 355 gr bullets are no problem at all in a super redhawk. The one and only thing I've found is that there are not as many options for custom grips on Rugers as there are S&W. The big name being Herrett's stocks, last I checked they will not make grips for Rugers. They may have changed recently though. There are some really good off the shelf options for super redhawks though, and they share the same grip stud as a GP100, so I wouldn't let that concern you.

Kai
05-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Definitely apples and oranges. Although the S&W may not be as beefy as the Ruger, seeing as how plinking is your thing, it does not seem strength is a concern. Huge difference in triggers. If you have 10 rugers you have 10 triggers. If you have 10 S&W you have 1 trigger. I have shot both but I own S&W. It's up to you.

wilecoyote
05-08-2023, 07:31 PM
...I've never heard of anyone wearing out a super redhawk, A super redhawk is perfectly suited to far more than 44 magnum, hence they come in 454 casull and 480 ruger...
.. this seems to me to be a very relevant consideration as regards my use and any type of experiment I can do in hand loading the .44 magnum.
Thanks for your attention to all aspects of my initial question, anyway!

Targa
05-09-2023, 07:56 AM
As many others have posted, if you want to use a steady diet of .44 mags or care to push the envelope in your hand loads the Ruger is the way to go.
If you look at specialty, heavy hitting ammo manufacturers like Buffalo Bore, Underwood, Garret that produce very stout magnum rounds for .44mag, Ruger is at the top of their list for the guns that they approve for use with that ammo.

murf205
05-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Let us know how you like the Ruger and how it shoots. The old SRH of mine always gets a place at the range on account of how accurate it is and how comfortable it is to shoot. Mine has probably a thousand rounds through it and some of them have been bazooka loads. No problems so far. You're gonna like this gun.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-12-2023, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I think you want that big Ruger...and for all the reasons already mentioned, I think it is a wise purchase for you.
Myself I am a 41 mag fan. Currently I don't have a Ruger in 41. My friend recently bought a blued 5" Redhawk in 41...someday, I hope he has plans to sell it to me, it's happened a few times before as he rarely keeps his toys all that long, LOL.

wilecoyote
05-13-2023, 05:58 PM
thanks for ALL your replies.
the current Italian cataloging of the SRH, even if a little penalizing (but the RH is less penalizing, I don't know why) won't affect that much on what I'm allowed to have.
so I hope to find a decent buy soon.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL !

Frank V
05-18-2023, 11:37 AM
thanks for ALL your replies.
the current Italian cataloging of the SRH, even if a little penalizing (but the RH is less penalizing, I don't know why) won't affect that much on what I'm allowed to have.
so I hope to find a decent buy soon.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL !
Good luck on your purchase, let us know please.

wilecoyote
06-02-2023, 10:55 AM

...I may have found a SRH that deserves attention.
I will be able to view it directly, but not before a week.
on S&Ws I would know where and how to carry out a reliable screening,
but I've never handled a Ruger: are there specific wear or critical points to check specifically on a used .44mag. SRH?
thanks to all
(I edited my post that mistakenly said SBH and not SRH...)[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Sasquatch-1
06-02-2023, 11:10 AM
An inherent flaw in the older Blackhawk line is the base pin that holds the cylinder in will start to work its way out. I solved this problem by getting a Belt Mountain base pin with set screw. Other than that, the only other problem I have ever had with a Ruger single action is one of the grip panels split in half. I replaced it with an Alto Mont faux ivory with scrimshaw.

wilecoyote
06-02-2023, 01:04 PM
An inherent flaw in the older Blackhawk line is the base pin that holds the cylinder in will start to work its way out. I solved this problem by getting a Belt Mountain base pin with set screw. Other than that, the only other problem I have ever had with a Ruger single action is one of the grip panels split in half. I replaced it with an Alto Mont faux ivory with scrimshaw.

thank, Sasquatch1 but, as you can see, I'm so ignorant about Rugers to mismatch even the model name...

contender1
06-02-2023, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=wilecoyote;
I've never handled a Ruger: are there specific wear or critical points to check specifically on a used .44mag. SRH?
thanks to all

Ok, in general,, a SRH,, unless seriously abused,, won't exhibit any problems. They are built like a tank, and take a lot of use & even abuse before having issues.
That said,, in general,, just check the cylinder lock-up, look at the cylinder holes for any that may be out of round.
Look closely at the forcing cone, for any excessive erosion from a very hot load, with very fast powders, causing any forcing cone erosion. A good light, and even a magnifying glass can give you a good idea of that.

And while you are looking at the DA line & not the SA line,, the post above about grips splitting,, can easily be avoided. It's (sadly) common for heavy handed owners with a screwdriver,, overtightening the grip screw. That often causes the grip ferrules to pull through,, and bust the grips. (NOT,, repeat NOT saying that's what happened above, but just a life long observation of many Ruger grips.)
We fix that by adding a nylon spacer in-between the grip panels. A very small, cheap insurance against over tightening of the grip screw.
Luckily,, the DA line doesn't seem to suffer such abuse by someone who doesn't understand how things are assembled.

wilecoyote
06-03-2023, 06:01 AM
both posts above are full of valuable insights,
since I'm basically looking for a workhorse to play with and with which to first test handloads also for my Smiths_ (and here it is simply impossible to find an Freeedom Arms in .44mag., whose price would still be prohibitive)_ I will therefore go and inspect the SRH, but it is not certain that an SBH is to forget, of course_ the grips will be a problem to deal with anyway, because since I was sixteen I've been too fond of the big S&W's Target, so some custom work to fit my hands will anyway have to be estimated.
Thanks again to Sasquatch-1 and Contender1 !

contender1
06-03-2023, 09:15 AM
Grips are an easy remedy. Make a set to fit your hands. And you can have them shaped similar to the S&W grips,, as long as they fit the frame.

HOWEVER,, due to the frame design,, the felt recoil may be very different than shooting a Smith.

I have found that the rubber grips offered by a few companies to work quite well IN MY HANDS,, so you may consider that first.

wilecoyote
06-03-2023, 09:35 AM
Grips are an easy remedy. Make a set to fit your hands. And you can have them shaped similar to the S&W grips,, as long as they fit the frame.
HOWEVER,, due to the frame design,, the felt recoil may be very different than shooting a Smith.
I have found that the rubber grips offered by a few companies to work quite well IN MY HANDS,, so you may consider that first.
I hope to send here some feeling, if/when I will make the buy.
just in case, playing with or building custom grips will be an added tinkering bonus, for sure :p_
thanks!

Teddy (punchie)
06-03-2023, 04:28 PM
These posts in this thread are a joy to read. I like the single auction just because If shooting for distance it just for me. If even shooting a double auction I do better using it as a single auction.

Like like the Rugers.

wilecoyote
06-03-2023, 04:56 PM
These posts in this thread are a joy to read. I like the single auction just because If shooting for distance it just for me. If even shooting a double auction I do better using it as a single auction. Like like the Rugers.

I hope soon to be able to say the same.
until now I've enjoyed this way my Smiths only, but anyway there are few things lovelier than sitting in the shade in warm weather, ground or chair unimportant, some .44s and distant targets.
a pack of stubs and a thermos of iced coffee are optional, but they help.
and for that I thank the Gods, all of Yours, and Luigi,
the fine Owner of the private range who let me play in peace_
:drinks:

Tall
06-03-2023, 06:15 PM
Sure it's an option, although I've never owned a single action.
makes me think that the handle becomes problematic with heavy loads, due to the rotation of the gun under recoil, but I admit that I have never tried it...

I have in the past owned a 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk. Your observations are spot on with the factory wood handles. Change the grips for range day and install a Pachmayr rubbergrip and it changes a lot. With the Pachmayr grips it pushes rear ward - completely different. I do not usually advocate for them but in this case the rubber grips are an improvement.

I've also owned a Smith Model 29 in the past. It's a bigger revolver than the Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have not owned a Ruger Super Redhawk - those just seem too large to me.

wilecoyote
06-03-2023, 06:36 PM
I currently have a pair of 29s.
the bulkiest is a scoped bull barrel Silhouette, and weighs approximately well over 4 lbs unloaded.
my lightweight is a 8,3/8" 29-2 :smile:
about the s.a., I only tried a F.A. in .454 which, as unpleasant as the concussion, I don't remember damaging my (gloved) hand, but I gladly returned it to the owner anyway :veryconfu

Frank V
06-06-2023, 11:33 AM
Wilecoyote, one thing I check is the timing ( does the cylinder lock just as the hammer reaches full cock) I put a finger on the cylinder with just a little pressure, then bring the hammer to full cock. The cylinder should lock in place even with a small amount of pressure on it. I do this with each chamber.

wilecoyote
06-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Wilecoyote, one thing I check is the timing ( does the cylinder lock just as the hammer reaches full cock) I put a finger on the cylinder with just a little pressure, then bring the hammer to full cock. The cylinder should lock in place even with a small amount of pressure on it. I do this with each chamber.

Frank V, all I can say is that your timing is perfect :drinks:: tomorrow I will have the SRH in my hands, therefore your last-minute post is really very appreciated now !

wilecoyote
06-06-2023, 07:53 PM
...well, Frank V, I owe you more than one!
it's two in the morning here, but your last post made me compare the paper documents against the photos of the SRH we are talking about.
I have both registration documents & photos obtained via e-mail and I found a # registration error which obviously has to be corrected before by the would-be seller at his competent office, and not by me, the future buyer.
for me it would have been a big hassle, and I would have caused al last some trouble to myself and extra paperwork at my competent police offices, if I had bought something without checking documents and serial numbers very carefully in advance.
so I will wait until the seller has fixed the error, and in the meantime :drinks: thanks again!

btw, the SRH serial number is#551-92040_ could someone here identify the year of production ?
thanks to all

wilecoyote
06-09-2023, 07:52 AM

...just brought home the SRH w/ box, papers, rings, all the stuff.
sincerely thanks to all etc. etc. !
(and I didn't have to give up my S&Ws!)

contender1
06-09-2023, 09:18 AM
That Super Redhawk was built in 2001.

Question; What is the length of the barrel? Measure from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. It looks like it might be longer than 9-1/2". (At least the picture makes it appear longer.)

wilecoyote
06-09-2023, 10:11 AM
That Super Redhawk was built in 2001.

Question; What is the length of the barrel? Measure from the face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. It looks like it might be longer than 9-1/2". (At least the picture makes it appear longer.)

_thank about the year
_I read 24 centimeters, therefore (a hair less than) 9-1/2"_

contender1
06-09-2023, 09:10 PM
Thanks.
I know that Ruger has made some longer barreled guns for the European market where barrel length restrictions can affect the ability to own certain guns.
Your gun is a "standard" barrel length offered.

murf205
06-09-2023, 09:40 PM
You are going to love that big 'ole Ruger. Mine goes to the range with me nearly every time I go like the faithful companion that it is.

wilecoyote
06-10-2023, 06:31 PM
Thanks.
I know that Ruger has made some longer barreled guns for the European market where barrel length restrictions can affect the ability to own certain guns.
Your gun is a "standard" barrel length offered.

...I can't say for which eurocountry, for sure not mine,
because in any case pistols or revolvers for hunting are not allowed here, and often the length of the barrel alone is not here a discriminating element in identifying, for administrative registration purposes, under which classification a handgun is evaluated.
for example an SRH or Silhouette S&W are equated to a 2"Colt Cobra, while a SBH is equated to a .22lr Hammerli, etc. ...
this at the discretion of some advisory commission, following unspecified and variable, often retroactive, parameters.

wilecoyote
06-10-2023, 06:46 PM
You are going to love that big 'ole Ruger. Mine goes to the range with me nearly every time I go like the faithful companion that it is.

...cleaned today_
tomorrow I hope to to try it as it is, w. some mild-magnum handloads previously intended for a bull barrel 29-3_
next will be open season to find a suitable silver 2x ler, but without any hurry.

shooting on a shoestring
06-10-2023, 07:14 PM
Wilecoyote, I’m glad for you. Sounds like you’re happy as a dog with a new stick!

You should know the Ruger website lists many of the Ruger serial numbers and provides a lookup menu for some others. On the Ruger website go to the upper right hand corner, the 3 horizontal bars with menu, then Customer Service, then serial number look up. It’ll give you a chance to put in the serial number and it will pop back with info. If it’s an older serial number or one that’s not in the main database, it will give you a list of models and serial numbers starting at the first of each year. I use it often when looking at potential purchases, or just out of curiosity.

wilecoyote
06-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Wilecoyote, I’m glad for you. Sounds like you’re happy as a dog with a new stick!

You should know the Ruger website lists many of the Ruger serial numbers and provides a lookup menu for some others. On the Ruger website go to the upper right hand corner, the 3 horizontal bars with menu, then Customer Service, then serial number look up. It’ll give you a chance to put in the serial number and it will pop back with info. If it’s an older serial number or one that’s not in the main database, it will give you a list of models and serial numbers starting at the first of each year. I use it often when looking at potential purchases, or just out of curiosity.

shooting on a shoestring,
I'm neither a collector nor an accomplished shooter but only an amateur: I don't often buy guns, and even more rarely I sell them, so you have perfectly understood my childish enthusiasm.
I've never had Rugers before, and I know nothing about them:
what I learned about them I learned here, and mainly for reasons generated by my reloading,
or rather to save more delicate revolvers, even if of the same caliber, when/if mixing components for some new or heavy cast handload.
so your info about the R. website is also very welcome for many reasons.

Rockindaddy
06-10-2023, 09:57 PM
Tried em all!!! Ruger Super Blackhawk, Ruger Stainless Redhawk. a Virginia 44Mag Dragoon, and S&W Model 29. All were great shooters until a Colt 44Mag Anaconda came along. Still have the Colt 44 Anaconda !!!!! The best of all the 44 Mag revolvers. But still have a 4 3/4" German Sauer 44 Mag packin gun.

wilecoyote
06-11-2023, 09:40 AM
Tried em all!!! Ruger Super Blackhawk, Ruger Stainless Redhawk. a Virginia 44Mag Dragoon, and S&W Model 29. All were great shooters until a Colt 44Mag Anaconda came along. Still have the Colt 44 Anaconda !!!!! The best of all the 44 Mag revolvers. But still have a 4 3/4" German Sauer 44 Mag packin gun.

today i tried this, and I'm happy with it.
the (not-so-much) strange thing is that at 65 my real research goal concerns the best type of prescription lenses to use well before than refining the trigger technique or handloading better ammo.:wink:

contender1
06-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Just a note on info here;

"You should know the Ruger website lists many of the Ruger serial numbers and provides a lookup menu for some others. On the Ruger website go to the upper right hand corner, the 3 horizontal bars with menu, then Customer Service, then serial number look up. It’ll give you a chance to put in the serial number and it will pop back with info. If it’s an older serial number or one that’s not in the main database, it will give you a list of models and serial numbers starting at the first of each year. I use it often when looking at potential purchases, or just out of curiosity. '

Sadly,, SOME,,,,,,,, (not all) info on the Ruger factory website is not correct. That's due to the lack of knowledge by the people who built the database.
Serious collectors use a very different & much better Reference Guide built by collectors LONG before Ruger put their stuff on their site. We use; "The Red Eagle News Exchange Reference Guide."
But the best way to get the best info is to spend $10 to get a factory letter from Ruger from their records dept. Those girls do a much better detailed research into the actual gun via the serial number & basic info provided. While many of us collectors would like more detail,, we are happy to get the following; The correct model info according to how the gun was shipped. The month & year of mfg & month & year of shipping. We also get the location of where it was shipped to initially.
Yet,, even the records dept at Ruger has made typo's & some mistakes.
So when a rarer gun is in question, we try HARD to delve into as many details as possible.

The factory serial number look-up section on their website is "ok" but may not always be right. I answer a question from someone about every few weeks when they try & find their gun, and can't.

The European market that had an unusual barrel length of the Super Redhawk may have been England. (Weak memory here.) I seem to recall the barrel length for a "handgun" had to be much longer than the normal factory offering. I have seen a few pictures of a SRH that were in a factory configuration NOT offered in the USA.

Lastly,, sounds like you had fun shooting your new gun. Kudos. As for glasses,, I too will be 65 in a few months,, and I use prescription glasses to shoot a handgun. When I had my glasses made,, I was allowed to bring in my gun to my Dr. and they built a single focus lens, with the focal plane set for my eyes focusing on the front sight. You might try & see if your Dr. can let you bring your gun in,, but if not,, then take an object, (pencil or whatever) and hold it on your hands at the exact same length from your eyes as your gun's front sight. Build a set of glasses just for that.

wilecoyote
06-11-2023, 11:45 AM
contender 1, the info update is greatly appreciated.
about glasses & related, luckily I have a Dr. who is an old friend of mine as well as a former shooter, so I turned to him before an IPSC course a few years ago.
unfortunately I had not calculated that today I do not see as or better than that 4 or 5 yrs.ago, and therefore each time I must really try/start again with the pencil, etc., but time teaches me this too, and obviously the learning curve is not just about the gun, but how to bypass my progressive shortcomings:)

wilecoyote
06-12-2023, 05:49 AM
...due to the frame design,, the felt recoil may be very different...

...tried, supported:
I feel the grips make the difference, because with the same handloads the wooden Target N-frame cushion less the recoil, while the combo of engineering & composition of the OEM Ruger glues the gun to the hand, making the rotation of wrist/hand together with the revolver, when not the elbow, more accentuated.
of course the 9.5" SRH weighs about a pound less than my scoped 29-3/10.5"HB, and this Silhouette damp the recoil better thanks to its overall weight.
unfortunately the greater added weight does not contribute to making the structure of an N-frame more robust, but only more comfortable for the user.
on the other hand, SRH really seems to have a structure and an engineering less sensitive to the full power of the .44 magnum.
here I am reminded of what John Taffin wrote, when he compared the S&W to thoroughbred horses, and the SRH to a Clydesdale: apples and oranges, again, but I'm happy with both_

I add that I also found a vintage left-handed Bianchi X15 capable of accommodating the 9.5". I doubt I will make much use of it, and maybe don't deserve another post, but I don't think there are many imported here, and for a southpaw like me it causes a big grin.

contender1
06-12-2023, 10:56 AM
John is well known in the handgun world for sure.
I frequent a Forum where he will post stuff occasionally. he is but one gentlemen who's knowledge of serious handgunning is vast & worth studying.

gnappi
06-21-2023, 01:17 AM
I've owned several 29's and 629's, a Redhawk, and have shot Super Redhawks. Currently I own none of those but do have a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk hunter in .44.

If I needed a DA .44 I'd have a 29 or 629 again in an instant over anything else. Since you already shoot a 29 I imagine you're asking about a SRh because the 29 has not met your needs.

wilecoyote
06-21-2023, 03:34 AM
I've owned several 29's and 629's, a Redhawk, and have shot Super Redhawks. Currently I own none of those but do have a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk hunter in .44.
If I needed a DA .44 I'd have a 29 or 629 again in an instant over anything else. Since you already shoot a 29 I imagine you're asking about a SRh because the 29 has not met your needs.

...not exactly: I've revolvers only, S&W only since some day ago. all they shoot well over my capabilities and overall above my eyesight_ I've owned S&Ws since the day one of my legal age_ I've asked here about the SRH, and bought it consequently, because I've learned here about its virtual indestructibility, when compared to my favorite pre-lock 29s .
beyond the gun itself, I needed a platform that allows me to try bullets and handloading solutions without risking/overstressing my 29s first.
that doesn't mean that I intend to use them straight on the 29s if the SRH doesn't explode, but I can still get an idea in advance and adjust my recipes conservatively if/when I deem it reasonable to transfer them to the 29s_
keep in mind that here there is no culture equal to U.S. regarding revolvers nor an equal availability of powders, let alone about casting/swaging bullets_
(note also that I live in Venice, It.: here we have only gondolas, pidgeons, churches, etc.)
anyway in practical terms let's say that here, if I'm lucky, I can use the Vihtavuori N110 for the .44magnum.
the Viht. tables they give me min. and max. values which I personally find excessive. not because I'm afraid, but because already at the minimum values of 110 I risk bending the cylinder spindle, at least (...been there, etc.)_ also keep in mind that thanks to ITAR it is impossible for me to order spare parts directly in the USA, and the importer does not keep spare parts for stuff from 50 years ago or already there.
Enter the SRH: following what I've learned here, SRH is engineered for much higher stresses than .44 mag.; as bonus it is still in production, the spare parts are therefore still available, here also_ now I can play with my N110 and half-jacketed cast obtained from swaging/forming .40S&W cases etc. from full-throttle down, until I'm happy enough with some load suitable for my 29s_
forgive my rap, but you have given me the opportunity to explain why, beyond my frequent out-of-place nonsense, I find myself infiltrating this and other forums where knowledgeable and tolerant people allow me to learn & navigate without torpedoing me as often I deserve: I can never thank all of them enough _

goin' on more personal considerations, about some common soft spot for 29, I fully agree with you,
if only because they were part of my teenage dreams:drinks:
Gary, thank you for the opportunity you gave me to explain myself !
Mario

shooting on a shoestring
06-21-2023, 05:09 AM
Gee….I never have justification.
I just buy because I’m curious about the piece or think it’s cool.

wilecoyote
06-21-2023, 07:16 AM
Gee….I never have justification.
I just buy because I’m curious about the piece or think it’s cool.

you're right, and I fully agree with you,
but for both your reasons above once i bought a .22lr M16 clone before ask.
(I could not know less about M16s, same like about SRH) produced by Walther,Ulm under Colt license,
some Americans warned me against the buy, and they were right too.
I discovered later (!) that it was built by Umarex despite being officially branded as above, costed consequently, and it was a real piece of junk_
lesson learned :razz:

FergusonTO35
06-22-2023, 08:35 AM
you're right, and I fully agree with you,
but for both your reasons above once i bought a .22lr M16 clone before ask.
(I could not know less about M16s, same like about SRH) produced by Walther,Ulm under Colt license,
some Americans warned me against the buy, and they were right too.
I discovered later (!) that it was built by Umarex despite being officially branded as above, costed consequently, and it was a real piece of junk_
lesson learned :razz:

Mario, I really enjoy reading your posts. Your English language is actually alot better than many native speakers here. A few years ago there was a seller on Gunbroker getting rid of their Colt/Umarex .22 AR's. The ad included a picture of one of the guns with a toilet plunger added to the muzzle and being used to plunge a toilet. The seller was very much upfront abotu the fact that this was the best use for one.

wilecoyote
06-22-2023, 12:56 PM
Mario, I really enjoy reading your posts. Your English language is actually alot better than many native speakers here.

... of course: lately my pc has realized that I take his malfunctioning hard drives to the shooting range. btw, .44mag. works on them far better than my sledgehammer.

...about the WaltherA few years ago there was a seller on Gunbroker getting rid of their Colt/Umarex .22 AR's. The ad included a picture of one of the guns with a toilet plunger added to the muzzle and being used to plunge a toilet. The seller was very much upfront abotu the fact that this was the best use for one.

...I agree_I wish I knew this before giving it away,
because I did something similar with a fine vintage Murano glass vase. (it costs too much to shoot him :razz: )
here it's equivalent to a mortal sin

wilecoyote
06-22-2023, 06:09 PM
..the only way to atone for my post above and get back on topic is to confess that well before my legal age, I entered a serious LGS and respectfully asked to the owners if they could let me hold the 6.5 " displayed in the window. the shopkeepers, amused by the request of a little boy, agreed. holding it in my hand, for the first time the idea of stealing something and running away with it crossed my mind. I wasn't stupid enough to try, but I had no peace until I could afford my 1st: it's been so long that I don't remember if and how much I've already said it_ I took the first .44 mag.shot when I was well grown up, in a tunnel stand, alone. so excited that I forgot to wear the earplugs :veryconfu _
Today these are my 29s: I know I'm not showing anything new, especially here, but I'm happy to share.

Sasquatch-1
06-23-2023, 06:48 AM
I took the first .44 mag.shot when I was well grown up, in a tunnel stand, alone. so excited that I forgot to wear the earplugs
Today these are my 29s: I know I'm not showing anything new, especially here, but I'm happy to share.

I also owe the ringing in my ears to the report of a S&W M29 when I was in my late teens.

Rapier
06-23-2023, 09:53 AM
As you like 29s, something to try if you ever see one. A friend of mine built himself a 2 1/2 inch Magna ported 29 with an altered grip frame to a round butt, with Packmeyer rubber round butt grips. He caught me at he range one afternoon and just put in for me to shoot the "little" 29. It was shockingly comfortable to shoot, even with 240 grain factory 44 Mag cartridges.

wilecoyote
06-23-2023, 11:04 AM
As you like 29s, something to try if you ever see one. A friend of mine built himself a 2 1/2 inch Magna ported 29 with an altered grip frame to a round butt, with Packmeyer rubber round butt grips. He caught me at he range one afternoon and just put in for me to shoot the "little" 29. It was shockingly comfortable to shoot, even with 240 grain factory 44 Mag cartridges.

...I would be even more careful 'bout my earplugs (learned to avoid indoors, in the meantime).
seriously, sometime I stumbled upon .629 plain snubs only, but never tried the M-option, here.
Rapier, thanks for your first-hand report: if I had read it in some formal review, I would have kept some doubts, but now you've triggered some renewed CQC curiosity...

shooting on a shoestring
06-23-2023, 03:53 PM
Ohhhhh….
Nice eye candy.
I see that adjustable front sight on your “long barreled” 29.
Did you ever use that sight before you put the scope on it?

wilecoyote
06-23-2023, 07:38 PM
Ohhhhh….
Nice eye candy.
I see that adjustable front sight on your “long barreled” 29.
Did you ever use that sight before you put the scope on it?

well, I put again the Weaver on it to test the loads out of my eyesight's limitations, not beyond distances that here usually don't or couldn't have.
I thus learned again the wobbling due to the 4x and my waving technique.

as you know, the adj. f.s. has 4 steps from 100 to 400 yds., reasonably intended for shop-bought ammo, so I'm forced to insert a piece of rubber under it to keep it as high as possible and hit something between 25 and 50 meters, with my mild loads_
50mts. is how far I can go where I I'm still tolerated. until now.

there I could dare up to 200 mts., but until I don't make a single ragged hole, or almost :razz:, from a full cyl. up close, supported, in my book it makes no sense to send lead random around , much less in the near target of some finicky rifle shooter.
I doubt however that they will allow me to play Int'l Lawn Steel Shooting, here.

the funniest thing is that those who don't know me think I'm still trying the revolver while, aside casts & loads, above all the big deal consists in finding
my best viewing available options.
for example matching the weaver to various shades of my reading glasses for my max.50 meters.
if/when things allow me longer distances, however I would remove the 4x and go back to wearing a dedicated adj. iris, (similar to the one I wear when rifle/sling/prone etc.rifle) coupled with the sights of the Silhouette 29_
in that case I hope to be able to answer you with greater(?) knowledge(?) of the facts_
shooting on a shoestring, thanks for your interest and for the compliments on my guns. if before I enjoyed using them, today it is an added pleasure to communicate about them. thanks again for the opportunity!

MOA
06-23-2023, 08:41 PM
I worked in the gun shop industry for over forty years. Handled, sold, and shot numerous Ruger SRH's of various lengths. I like both. Both are quality made handguns. Myself I went with the 29, in a 8-3/8 bbl. I suppose if I was shooting targets with heavy loads in the hundreds per session I would have to go with the Ruger. If not the Smith has better trigger and is balanced better in my opinion. This is my toy for hunting, target and woods Carry.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRfFZbPc/Screenshot-20230318-173027-2.png (https://postimages.org/)

wilecoyote
06-23-2023, 09:55 PM
...given your background, i'm not surprised by your choice. there is something about the handling and balance of the 8.3/8" that I've never encountered in 29 or 629s of different barrel sizes. I think it depends on the way it returns to line of sight after recoil. and yours it's a beautiful handgun.
curious about those conical tip bullets, never seen here. could you let me know something about them, please ?

MOA
06-24-2023, 10:08 AM
These cast boolits are from a older Ideal mold # 429-303. A two page writeup was done in one of the older Lyman reloading manuals. I powder coat mine. These GC boolits will go through steel plate when driven at the proper velocity. I've found it to be very accurate.

https://i.postimg.cc/pdCCpXQ5/20180614_142005.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4KKV0GSX)

https://i.postimg.cc/6pdYxhy0/20180614_141502.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3kxggmj4)

https://i.postimg.cc/BQJcQwss/20190524_104445.jpg (https://postimg.cc/jCkJMcLk)

https://i.postimg.cc/bJw369t8/20180630_123907.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CZ9G5D76)

https://i.postimg.cc/C1RTPQdH/20180629_164240A.jpg (https://postimg.cc/1n1j4MGf)

wilecoyote
06-24-2023, 10:28 AM
These cast boolits are from a older Ideal mold # 429-303... These GC boolits will go through steel plate when driven at the proper velocity...
you've all my attention :bigsmyl2:
research time is starting now !
Thank you very much !

MOA
06-24-2023, 11:02 AM
Have fun if you can find a mold.:drinks::drinks:

wilecoyote
06-24-2023, 07:47 PM
...already started since I've seen those your home-brew armor-piercing !

wilecoyote
07-05-2023, 08:29 AM
...This is my toy for hunting, target and woods Carry.[url=https://postimages.org/]https://i.postimg.cc/ZRfFZbPc/Screenshot-20230318-173027-2.png[/url

...here works great as a screensaver :) also !