PDA

View Full Version : Lee .358 push thru size problem ?

hc18flyer
05-04-2023, 07:43 PM
First time using the Lee size on my powder coated bullets. I found a relatively stiff spring to keep the bullet on the push rod. I think it was scoring about every 12th one? When I was careful to center the spring as it came up, the problem went away. I can shorten this spring, and look for a shorter, softer one? Any thoughts? hc18flyer 313715

Misery-Whip
05-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Mine Works fine without a spring...

Mk42gunner
05-04-2023, 08:01 PM
Mine too.

I do use mine in an upside down Lyman AccuPress, the convertible one, with a tube to guide the sized bullets into a coffee can on the floor.

I do not powder coat though.

Robert

Recycled bullet
05-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Surely you do not jest?

I use the Lee breech lock 358 bullet sizer with punch tens of thousands of times upside down in a Lee hand press.

What is the purpose of the spring?

Recycled bullet
05-04-2023, 09:01 PM
Check if the spring galled or gauged the sizer die.

hc18flyer
05-04-2023, 09:57 PM
The spring holds the bullet on the push rod. I have the Lee C-press. Could turn the press upside down, just change the bracket. The spring doesn't go up inside the sizer, so it isn't damaged. The spring is damaging the bullets before entering the sizer die.
hc18flyer

pworley1
05-04-2023, 10:18 PM
Mine work fine as designed. I just hold it with my fingers until it enters the die.

stubshaft
05-04-2023, 11:06 PM
No problems with mine either.

AntiqueSledMan
05-05-2023, 06:25 AM
Hello hc18flyer,

I would guess when the spring is compressing, it is bending against the bullet.
Personally, I'd trash the spring idea.

AntiqueSledMan.

racepres
05-05-2023, 07:32 AM
Who in the world suggested such a thing???

hc18flyer
05-05-2023, 08:44 AM
[https://youtube/4iHUDbC9hQk[/URL]
I have seen and read about this on other reloading forums. I have big meaty paws, hc18flyer

hc18flyer
05-05-2023, 08:48 AM
Sorry, can't seem to get the link right, Tom

racepres
05-05-2023, 09:35 AM
Don't need yer whole Paw... two fingers and Set the Boolit on the Flat surface top of Punch...it will slide into alignment...If yer Worried...Slow down a bit... Do Not just slam it around...

Daver7
05-05-2023, 09:58 AM
I looked at the YouTube video and it looks to me like he's using a spring that is less stiff. personal I haven't had any problems using mine as is.

hc18flyer
05-05-2023, 11:06 AM
If yer Worried...Slow down a bit... Do Not just slam it around...
PS- I ain't 'slammin' anything! TOM

osage
05-05-2023, 11:19 AM
I wonder if a piece of heat shrink slid around the first coil would protect the base.

sixshot
05-05-2023, 01:42 PM
???????????????????

cwlongshot
05-05-2023, 02:04 PM
I cannot begin to count o tell you, the quantity of bullets I have sized thru these sizers. I bet its more then most, I dont see the need of the spring.

If it works for you more power to ya! Why do you find it helpful? I follow it holds the bullet. But self admittedly it causes damage.

CW

mdi
05-05-2023, 02:34 PM
The Lee push through dies are simply a steel tube machined to a specific inside diameter. A steel push rod of appropriate diameter is supplied with the die. It is a rare occasion that anyone has problems with using the die ( I have 7). I have a very old Pacific C press that I use for sizing but have used all my other presses including a Lee turret, no problems. The only thing I needed was to cut a nylon rod to about 2 1/2"-3" to push a bullet all the way through up into the red plastic "catcher". Simple machines don't come much simpler, so any problems are "user error". The spring to hold a bullet in place to guide it up into the die isn't a bad idea, especially if the user has Arthritis or neuropathy, etc., otherwise unnecessary...

Soundguy
05-05-2023, 02:39 PM

Same... Never used springs..just fingers..

Harter66
05-05-2023, 07:17 PM
I know there's some bigger paws than mine but I wear a 14-1/2 ring on 6 fingers and both thumbs just a 10 on the pinkies .
Ive sized 22,25,26,27,28,30,32,35,40, and 45 cal without any difficulty getting stuff lined up . 22s as light as 37 gr ......
Maybe I'm just delicately ham handed .

Anything that serves as an alignment device that isn't a sliding cup like a primer ram rod will mark things up .

armoredman
05-05-2023, 08:35 PM
I have never used any springs on any of the 6 or 7 Lee Push Throughs I've been using for a few years, including the .358.

fredj338
05-09-2023, 07:14 PM
I used to use a cheap Lee C press inverted & clamped to my bench. Just drop the bullets into the die. The bullets drop into a box. Now I am using a Lee APP.

Rickf1985
05-13-2023, 10:38 AM
You know, I do not use the spring idea, But I am going to now that I have seen it. All you people criticizing the man for this obviously do not have severe arthritis or similar type disability. But I will tell all of you perfect people that the spring idea is a very good one for people like us who have a LOT of difficulty holding small things steadily. I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica, PMR, which is very debilitating when it comes to holding things. I can no longer shoot my single action revolvers because I cannot pull the hammer back with my thumb. Try doing anything without your thumb. So, for all those perfect people who like to criticize, how about thinking of a solution that works to help him out using the spring instead of criticizing someone's workarounds?

reloader X
05-13-2023, 10:51 AM
First time using the Lee size on my powder coated bullets. I found a relatively stiff spring to keep the bullet on the push rod. I think it was scoring about every 12th one? When I was careful to center the spring as it came up, the problem went away. I can shorten this spring, and look for a shorter, softer one? Any thoughts? hc18flyer 313715
it didnt come with a spring because its not needed

armoredman
05-13-2023, 06:57 PM
You know, I do not use the spring idea, But I am going to now that I have seen it. All you people criticizing the man for this obviously do not have severe arthritis or similar type disability. But I will tell all of you perfect people that the spring idea is a very good one for people like us who have a LOT of difficulty holding small things steadily. I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica, PMR, which is very debilitating when it comes to holding things. I can no longer shoot my single action revolvers because I cannot pull the hammer back with my thumb. Try doing anything without your thumb. So, for all those perfect people who like to criticize, how about thinking of a solution that works to help him out using the spring instead of criticizing someone's workarounds?

So, maybe you might look at the fact that those of us who have no IDEA what he's talking about might respond that no, we don't use a spring of any kind, the dadgum thing didn't come with one, and I don't know what the heck he is talking about. I never ONCE said I was perfect in any way, any more than any other human currently on this planet! Perhaps you could tell us what it is he's talking about and then we'll all know?