PDA

View Full Version : Came home with a 1911 A Tisas .45acp, pleasant surpise.

koger
05-02-2023, 06:21 PM
I got into a Tisas 1911 .45acp cheap, NIB, for $325. It looks like a std 1911, but it has a lowered and flared ejection port. The trigger broke at 2 3/4#, very nice and crisp. A buddy of mine had one and he shoots it very well, reason I bought this one and the price. The link on the barrel had a rock solid lock up in battery, and the barrel bushing was tight as well. That meant that three of the four things a 1911 needs done to the gun to make them shoot well was already to rock. The other thing that is required is a match grade barrel, and I had seen several reviews on Youtube toting these guns as having one. Also said they need some break in period due to the coating on the parts, Duracoat, not bluing. I shot off of sandbags to start with, @ 18yds. I had a 1 1/2" sticker I put on the target. Lining the sights up at 6 oclock, I gently squezzed off a round, it hit dead center, at the top of the sticker. I put 5 more into the target and was please with a very nice round group, that started at the middle of the sticker and ended about a bullet out on top. I then looked over at the backstop and saw 2 daisies growing there. I said what the heck,and did my best to make a clean trigger pull, and poof, the daisy was gone. I then sighted on the remaining one and Poof, it too disapeared. I was rhonestly shocked, as this was the best I had ever shot a bone stock, out of the box 1911 .45. I then proceeded to shoot nearly as good a 8 shot group as before, but offhand. I ended up putting 40 rounds thru it, with 3 failures to lock all the way up. I found the reason was the duracoat galling on the rails. I polished this off with dremel buffing wheel and some 240 grit buffing compound. Problem solved. Those Turkish guys make a great 1911, just thought I would share this with you all.

tazman
05-02-2023, 06:54 PM
Recently, I have been hearing very good things about Tisas 1911 pistols. Glad to hear about yours.

snowwolfe
05-02-2023, 07:09 PM
CNC machining has really narrowed the gap between a $325 pistol compared to one costing $1,000. Tisas has been impressing the heck out of the 1911 crowd.

fastdadio
05-02-2023, 09:41 PM
The folks over at the 1911 Forum seem to be pretty pleased with them. That's saying something. Tough crowd to please.

Texas by God
05-02-2023, 11:01 PM
My lovely wife gifted me a Tisas https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230503/5a3954523496408186f4741d3fbcf1d6.jpg
Tank Commander and my only complaint is that I need to shoot it more.
Well built guns, I’d buy another one.
The coating inside the rails jetted the oil out on my glasses for a few shots. I’ll polish mine out like you did,Sam. Send me a picture of yours if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misery-Whip
05-03-2023, 12:20 AM
And they make one with a 9mm and a 38 super barrel...dang it.

Show us that thing on paper!

badwolf
05-03-2023, 05:10 AM
Just picked up a 9mm commander, wish I knew about the 38 super barrel. Haven't shot ot yet but looks nice.

Froogal
05-03-2023, 08:45 AM
I bought a Tisas shortly after Christmas. First 1911 I have ever been around. Never even handled one before so I had no preconceived notions. Took a little time to get acquainted with it, and maybe a little break in time but now I LIKE it. I always wondered what all the fuss was about with a 1911 .45, but now I know. It packs a wallop and is quite accurate.

45_Colt
05-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Yep, same here. My older brother really liked the 1911 in .45, I never knew why. Until one day I was in the LGS I frequent and saw a box of empty/fired brass. Intrigued I looked at one and thought "what kind of cannon uses these?"

Low and behold, a 45 ACP headstamp. Walked right over to the used pieces and picked out the only 1911 .45 they currently had and bought it on the spot. From then on I was hooked. That pistol ended up being turned into my centerfire Bullseye shooter.

And the others, well, they just get shot a lot.

If'n I was in the market for another the Tisas would be right up there. Oh wait, LGS is just down the street (arrg, putting the car keys down).

45_Colt

P.S. heh, that is the same brother that got me into shooting the 45 Colt cartridge...

FergusonTO35
05-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Tisas are the nicest low cost pistols I've ever seen, we sell bunches of them at my side job. Tisas needs to get into the lever action business.

pworley1
05-03-2023, 03:58 PM
Congratulations, I hear good things about their shotguns as well.

Ricochet
05-04-2023, 10:31 PM
Dang, you got a deal! I had to pay $329 for mine!

I had to file a little off of the inside tip of the slide lock to stop the noses of hardball rounds from locking the slide back early. Otherwise it's been perfect. It's become my most used 1911.

Texas by God
05-05-2023, 09:22 AM
Tisas are the nicest low cost pistols I've ever seen, we sell bunches of them at my side job. Tisas needs to get into the lever action business.

I would buy a straight grip 336 copy from them in .360 BuckHammer if they made one.
Or 30-30 even…..

44MAG#1
05-05-2023, 09:28 AM
I have two Tisas 1911's.
Fine firearms.

JoeJames
05-05-2023, 03:11 PM
I got one in on a trade at a local gun show. Never shot it. I am mostly into revolvers. Had it at the same local show a few months later. I figured to sell it or put a 22 conversion on it and plink with it. Another dealer had a SIG 22 conversion for the 1911 for $180 after negotiating, and I told him it was in the hands of fate - if the Tisas did not sell shortly, I'd get the conversion. I thought the trigger pull on the Tisas was a bit heavy; so I was kind of relieved when I sold it shortly after that for $330. Never know.

FergusonTO35
05-05-2023, 07:50 PM
I would buy a straight grip 336 copy from them in .360 BuckHammer if they made one.
Or 30-30 even…..

Me too!

MrWolf
05-07-2023, 10:35 AM
And they make one with a 9mm and a 38 super barrel...dang it.

Show us that thing on paper!

My LGS has been looking for the Regulator (5" barrel) but not in stock. Think he quoted me $670 for that one.

nicholst55
05-14-2023, 10:03 PM
I've been tinkering with a Tisas Tanker (Commander-length) in .45 ACP since the end of last year. First thing, they're finished with Cera-cote, rather than Dura-cote. Supposed to be a much more durable finish (unless you use kydex holsters). I bought my gun to use as a test mule and range toy. Here's what I have observed: the small parts (especially pins) are a bit softer than standard. I ordered a 'hard pin' set from 10-8 Performance, but haven't installed them yet as I just returned from having a TKR (total knee replacement), and I'm still hobbling around. The wide-spur hammer bites the web of my hand with every shot. I first ordered a standard (narrow) spur hammer but didn't really like that particular part, and then a 5-piece hammer, sear, disconnector (and springs) set. The original hammer is also a bit softer than optimum, so I splurged on Extreme Engineering parts. Since the original grip safety will not accommodate a commander-style hammer, I modified a spare that I had into a 'rattail' style grip safety. Eventually, I'll install a beavertail grip safety, but that's not a huge priority right now. I removed the factory slide stop and measured the pin diameter, and it ran around .195". That's a bit small, and I had a spare with the proper .200" diameter pin. I installed that, and the lockup of the barrel is noticeably tighter. No problems associated with the new slide stop to date. The gun shoots to point of aim with the GI-style sights, but I'll be replacing them as well. Old, not very good eyes demand something with more visibility. And, I noticed some very minor burrs around the rear edges of the barrel, primarily in the feed ramp area. I deburred that area with a diamond file, then gave it a quick polish with a cratex tip on the Dremel. I believe that I have only experienced 1 or 2 stoppages so far, but that's it. Still not a lot of rounds through the gun (300 or so), but, I like it so far.

reloader X
05-15-2023, 12:24 AM
I bought one new & the finish was sprayed on things where i dont think they belong i.e. the chamber !
I had too polish that off before i could load one...it shot fine but it soured me on them...like the flip ati 1911 that i also bought new mushroom the head of the firing pin @ 20 rds....I'm just sick of buying "gun kits"
i just have a large qty of 45 acp ...bought a hipoint carbine to hose it out of and its flawless.

dddddmorgan
05-16-2023, 07:15 AM
I have a commander sized Tisas and absolutely love it, a high quality gun that's well made.

I'm hoping to find myself a full sized one, strangely out of three 1911 pistols I don't have a full sized 45...

gpidaho
05-16-2023, 06:15 PM
I really like my Tisas 45 I've been telling friends that it's one of the best deals out there. Gp

High Desert Hunter
06-10-2023, 12:51 PM
They are going to be running a bunch that are pretty much a direct copy of the WWII guns, right down to the ejection port not being lowered. I have put around 600 rounds or so through mine so far, no hiccups and excellent accuracy even withe GI sights, mine is also the wood grip Army model.

Dave

Bigslug
06-11-2023, 10:50 AM
They are going to be running a bunch that are pretty much a direct copy of the WWII guns, right down to the ejection port not being lowered. I have put around 600 rounds or so through mine so far, no hiccups and excellent accuracy even withe GI sights, mine is also the wood grip Army model.

Dave

Did a detail inspection on one of those that was purchased by one of my minions. It's a NICE .45! I didn't have to stake down or tweak anything. Extractor tension perfect out of the box. Very cleanly machined small parts and none of the coarse interior mill marks you tend to expect on stuff at this price point.

They did a VERY credible job of replicating a Colt or Remington-Rand from the 1943, blurring into 1944 period. Their only real aesthetic "oopsie" was that they paired an early 1942 and prior "thumbnail" front sight with the 1943 and later square notch rear. They're making non-replica models that have the square, serrated ramp that a late WWII gun SHOULD have, so hopefully they sort that out. They also sent it with a set of double-diamond grips that don't belong on any but very early transitional A1's, and another set of brown plastics that don't even come close to duplicating the color of the real thing, but that's easily sorted for anyone who it bugs.

Mechanical departures are beveling of the inside corners of the mag well, a feed ramp widened to be more hollowpoint-friendly, and a titanium firing pin. What I did not think to check at the time was if they went Springfield's route of using the narrow diameter .38 Super/9mm firing pin and drilled the slide accordingly, or if they left it full size fat and GI compatible.

Ran like a top, shot to the sights, and left its brass in a neat cluster about 4 feet to my 4:00. Couldn't really ask for better.

Texas by God
06-12-2023, 11:36 PM
I was pleased to find out yesterday that my Tank Commander hits to the sights with the Lee 230 TCTL bullet over 4.7 grs of Bullseye.
And 200 gr SWC with same charge.
And Serbian(Monarch) factory hardball!

FergusonTO35
06-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Sounds great. I really like GI style 1911's but with modern adjustable sights. Don't know of anyone who makes such a thing, and by the time you mill the slide and install sights you're into the same price range as a gun already set up that way from the factory.

44MAG#1
06-13-2023, 02:45 PM
I shoot a Tisas with military sights. While not as stylish as my Springfield 1911 and my Kimber's I can still shoot the gun well.
Cant pick up the sights as quick but still can shoot it well.

Rich/WIS
06-14-2023, 11:08 AM
Nephew has one and it seems well made with a decent trigger and accurate with the Lee H&G 68 clone over 4.6 grs of Bullseye.

Captain O
07-31-2023, 03:37 PM
I am buying one of these. While I am a 10mm man, the old Series 70 1911-A1 has, once again, pulled me back in to the .45 ACP fold.

This old Vietnam-era Veteran knows that the .45 ACP worked then and still works today. (If it isn't broken, don't fix it).;)

NuJudge
08-01-2023, 07:13 PM
I needed either an as-issued 1911 or something close for CMP competition, so I bought a Springfield, but it was nowhere close to GI, with much better sights, and other strong differences. I saw the Tisas and it was much closer. Both shot exceedingly well, with good triggers. The extractors on both were set up right.

Funky
08-04-2023, 06:39 AM
Thank You everybody for this discussion, I have never heard of Tisas, but now I must look for one, just looking for a 1911 to put in a drawer [or two] around the house, just in case, but don't want to spend $600.00 just to have it sitting there. Good Luck Chris

Newtire
10-04-2023, 01:31 AM
I agree that it's a good shooter. I got the "service enhanced" (whatever that's supposed to mean?). Regardless enhanced or not, I really like it. Got thinking that these won't hold out at these low prices for long, so plunked down the cash for the Match model. They both shoot about the same, great that is. Maybe the Match is better with the adjustable sights but they seem to hold about the same level of accuracy. Forgot how much fun they are to shoot. Clays and the Arsenal and Lee H & G #68 clones are performing well for me. Break in period? So far, haven't given me much grief except for the magazines that came with the match version didn't work as well as those that came with the lower priced one. The MEC-GAR extras I bought are also great magazines. Happy I bought them.

ebb
10-06-2023, 09:29 AM
I got one after keeping my eye on them for years. I have a friend that bought one, and when i played with his it became obvious they were a better value than the price. When SDS first imported them they had stainless government models that were only $50 more than the one I got. I waited too long and missed the stainless model.

Four-Sixty
10-06-2023, 08:36 PM
I really like the Stingray and Devilray. Both I have are in 45. A much more affordable way to get into bob tailed 1911s.

The issue I have with two of the four I bought are the the magazine releases. They developed a notch in them that hangs up magazine insertion. It seems like the releases are too soft, and get dented when hit by a sharp magazine. I was able to remedy both releases by filing them to give a little steeper taper. I also smoothed out the dented area.

This fix seems to be holding up.

Three of my four Tisas worked fine with cast. I had to send my US Army's barrel to DougGuy to have it throated so it would work with cast boolits. I think it cost me around $80 a couple months ago.