PDA

View Full Version : tent

Battis
04-30-2023, 09:17 AM
We used to camp alot. Backpack camping, campground camping. Canvas tents, then nylon tents, green Coleman stoves and lanterns, etc. Then we stopped.
Lately we began tossing the idea around again. But, I wanted a big, teepee-type tent. Well, we got one. It's a bell tent, made of canvas. Some call it a Yurt, but I call it a big tent.
It's 16' in diameter, and over 9' at the center. I set it up myself in less than an hour (easily get that down to 1/2 hr). It weighs 80 lbs so I won't be backpacking that sucker. The canvas is heavy but not like tents of old. Waterproof, with plenty of little zip flaps inside. I even bought a small propane heater designed for indoor use (with ventilation).
The entire floor zips off if you want to use it as a "canopy."
I bought a California King air mattress and it fits perfectly.
As soon as all of the snow is gone, I'm going.
Camping after all this time...who woulda thunk.

Woodtroll
04-30-2023, 09:34 AM
I love canvas tents, at least the big roomy ones. Sounds like a great way to get back into camping! And it's a bonus that you can set it up yourself.

Happy camping!

Doughty
04-30-2023, 10:31 AM
Battis, it got so I no longer felt good about pulling a travel trailer, so we got rid of ours a few years ago. Then came a bunch of joint replacements; knees, hip and a shoulder. But we still like to camp. Last year we went back to the tent. Nice big Kodiak canvess tent , Queen size inflatable mattress, propane heater and any other doodad we could think of. Had a blast. Just waiting for the snow to recede a little more and we plan to be back at it.

Battis
04-30-2023, 11:49 AM
We priced out trailers, but I don't have anything to tow one with, so we were looking at a a pricey investment. The huge tent makes more sense. We still have the stove, sleeping bags, etc. Love that king mattress, and the heater.
We bought a Teton Sports 16'. The guy in the pic shows the size. Not a bad company to deal with. With coupons and discounts, the price came in around $600.
https://tetonsports.com/products/sierra-canvas-tent?variant=42901617770734

alfadan
04-30-2023, 11:59 AM
I do love camping with tents and my "traditional" equipment. I wish we had forests here, but a small fishing lake nearby will have to do. I got a tent-cot a couple years ago and it's quite comfortable (just me).

Battis
04-30-2023, 12:33 PM
We took a ride into northern NH yesterday to check out campgrounds. We like the state run places, though the one we checked out doesn't have electricity or water at the sites. But the sites are mostly extra large - with a tent that big we need one.

MaryB
04-30-2023, 01:07 PM
We took a ride into northern NH yesterday to check out campgrounds. We like the state run places, though the one we checked out doesn't have electricity or water at the sites. But the sites are mostly extra large - with a tent that big we need one.

There are many portable battery power solutions these days that can handle a weekends use of maybe 2 lights, charge a phone etc... I detested the people who brought huge stereos, generators... made a racket all day long... often had to be told to power down at night by the park rangers... many got kicked out for noise complaints... bleh... I always tried to get a campsite well away from the easy to get to ones. I had a small 2 wheel hauler that I could stack gear on to get in. Pulled via a bar in front of me...

Battis
04-30-2023, 01:12 PM
I bought a car power converter so I can inflate the mattress. Other than that, I don't need the electricity.

pworley1
04-30-2023, 02:19 PM
It sounds like you are in for some fun.

BLAHUT
04-30-2023, 02:33 PM
Why weight for the snow to melt ?? Winter camping is a lot of fun.
Alaska tent and awning makes and sells an insulated one, that can be kept warm with just a votive candle.

Idaho45guy
04-30-2023, 02:39 PM
Nice tent! My brother bought one similar a few years ago and it is great for hunting camp. He also bought a wood stove for it that kept it nice and toasty inside when it got into the teens at night.

Battis
04-30-2023, 02:50 PM
This tent doesn't have a stove jack (hole for stove pipe) but you can buy a kit and install one. If I was going to leave it in one place, that'd be an option. I tried the portable heater the other night and it works great. The snow in NH is pretty much gone, except on the mountain tops, but it's still pretty cold at night.

deces
04-30-2023, 02:51 PM
I must admit camping has become like a party for me. I started buying 18v Ryobi lanterns and other outdoor devices, I even have a cordless Margarita machine.

Battis
04-30-2023, 03:40 PM
Lots of room inside. The mattress is a California King.

rancher1913
04-30-2023, 04:30 PM
for tent heat, look into diesel tent heaters, they sit outside the tent and push hot air into the tent. its like a super mini rig heater.

for camp spots away from it all, look into hipcamp, its like airbandb for campsites. they have private sites on private ground so your not stuck with undesirable fellow campers as immediate neighbors

Battis
04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
I don't have a big vehicle, and we have a dog, so we'll use the propane heater.
I checked out the Hipcamp. The website is a little confusing but I'll keep playing with it.

SSGOldfart
05-08-2023, 09:41 AM
I started with a 12x14 cabin tent, (Davis Tent co.Denver Co.) Once you learn to set it up one person can handle it in less then 1/2 hour in the dark, Then I added a 10 x14 second room with one end open as a cook tent. 2 wood stoves, but one was all we needed.Even @ -22* still have the tent in storage I needed lots of room for a wheelchair.:-P
If I was going to use a gas heater I would spend $20 bucks or so on a battery CO2 monitor. just for the piece of mind( after hurricane Rita we had a couple die from CO2 using a gas heater) :groner:

John Guedry
05-08-2023, 09:46 AM
It's CO that gets you not CO2.

CastingFool
05-08-2023, 09:59 AM
I remember the old GP mediums with pallet floors. Lol.

Tripplebeards
05-08-2023, 10:43 AM
Those air mattresses kill my back! I was at Walmart about a month ago and they had heavy duty cots on clearance for 20 bucks. I always wanted one so I picked it up to try. It’s pretty nice. I think it’s 6 1/2 feet long and holds up to 350 pounds. Sure beats sleeping on the ground when I was a Cub Scout. If it lasts one outing it paid for itself! I remember we at least got cots at week camp during Boy Scouts. I tried sleeping on the ground on a sandbar a couple years ago. I ended up “trying” to sleep in a folding chair.

I bought a pull behind Aristocrat 22 foot camper for 400 bucks the last time I got drawn for bear hunting. That thing was worth its weight in gold. The first night we pulled up it poured rain like somebody was beating on a tin shed. Glad I picked that up and got rid of my $150 pop-up camper that I sold for 400 to pay for this one. I ended up selling it for $1200 a few years after bear hunting.

MaryB
05-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Those air mattresses kill my back! I was at Walmart about a month ago and they had heavy duty cots on clearance for 20 bucks. I always wanted one so I picked it up to try. It’s pretty nice. I think it’s 6 1/2 feet long and holds up to 350 pounds. Sure beats sleeping on the ground when I was a Cub Scout. If it lasts one outing it paid for itself! I remember we at least got cots at week camp during Boy Scouts. I tried sleeping on the ground on a sandbar a couple years ago. I ended up “trying” to sleep in a folding chair.

I bought a pull behind Aristocrat 22 foot camper for 400 bucks the last time I got drawn for bear hunting. That thing was worth its weight in gold. The first night we pulled up it poured rain like somebody was beating on a tin shed. Glad I picked that up and got rid of my $150 pop-up camper that I sold for 400 to pay for this one. I ended up selling it for $1200 a few years after bear hunting.

Camped on a sandbar in the river... we always took 3-4 small boats. All of the women slept in a boat after I talked to them... guys ignored the weather forecast and tossed a sleeping bag on the sand... river came up 2 feet overnight and they all woke up soaking wet. They listened to me after that... could sleep 2 to a boat by packing gear between the bench style seats to make a platform. Or we pulled up on the bank where we had 6' of rise to be above any flash flooding. Those low sandbar islands were only 1 foot above the water. Great to catfish off of but bad for sleeping!

waksupi
05-09-2023, 10:05 AM
I've lived in tipis, wall tents, and wedge tents for extended periods. Longest stretch was 18 months in a tipi.
Wall tents are the most comfortable camps. I had to give up tents, and went to a small camper. Setting up a tent would absolutely exhaust me, and would have to lay down for an hour to recover.
Getting old sucks.

jreidthompson1
05-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Camco olympian wave catalytic heaters may be of interest. Comes in 3 sizes. Runs a long time on 20lbs based on what I've read.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

SSGOldfart
05-10-2023, 10:11 PM
It's CO that gets you not CO2.

Yes Sir my bad. thanks for the correction

MaryB
05-11-2023, 01:55 PM
Yes Sir my bad. thanks for the correction

Actually CO2 in to high of a concentration is bad too...

MightyThor
05-18-2023, 05:47 PM
Tents are terrific except in bear country. Not even talking grizzly here, Had a black bear go through a tent once, what a mess. No Food or drink, but the darn thing went in after the Wife's lotion. I still tent camp occasionally but the wife is a hard side girl now.

waksupi
05-19-2023, 09:30 AM
Tents are terrific except in bear country. Not even talking grizzly here, Had a black bear go through a tent once, what a mess. No Food or drink, but the darn thing went in after the Wife's lotion. I still tent camp occasionally but the wife is a hard side girl now.

A friend was logging on the south fork of the Flathead, and staying in a trailer. A bear peeled the camper like a banana and helped it's self.

GregLaROCHE
05-19-2023, 11:03 AM
I used to sleep out on gravel bars and wake up with a certain part of my anatomy stiff. Now when I wake up, it’s the only part that’s not stiff. I think I’ve gotten past the point of enjoying sleeping on the ground. When I think about all the stuff I would like to have to be comfortable in a tent, I think a small travel trailer would make the most sense for me.

alfadan
05-19-2023, 11:18 AM
I used to sleep out on gravel bars and wake up with a certain part of my anatomy stiff. Now when I wake up, it’s the only part that’s not stiff. I think I’ve gotten past the point of enjoying sleeping on the ground. When I think about all the stuff I would like to have to be comfortable in a tent, I think a small travel trailer would make the most sense for me.

Eh, keeps you from rolling in the water!;-)

Frank V
05-19-2023, 11:22 AM
A friend was logging on the south fork of the Flathead, and staying in a trailer. A bear peeled the camper like a banana and helped it's self.
Bears are becoming more of a problem these days.
One of the best times I had tent camping was archery elk hunting with a friend in his wall tent. He had a pellet stove & we stayed nice & warm.

Omega
05-19-2023, 01:07 PM
I never camped out for the camping part, just as a means to somethig else, usually fishing or hunting. I have a travel trailer parked at my hunting spot where I would spend the night but would go home for dinner, a shower and return in the evening. I bought a new property that is 2.5 hours away, so I have to camp out there all the way through my fishing or hunting excursion. I planned on getting another travel trailer to leave out there but it's in a conservation area and you can't leave anything there, besides, my other trailer was broken into and they stole a bunch of my hunting gear so am not leaving anything out there anyway. I usually hunt/fish alone, so it's just me to take care of so I have a few small tents, and a larger one that I can take. I threw one in the truck when I went to meet the conservation guys out there so they could approve my hunting camp site.

It was much too small, as I can't sleep on a bed roll anymore so I have an air mattress, had to let out a bunch of air so I could close the opening, you can see it pushing on the back wall.
https://i.imgur.com/kIWhhku.jpg

Had to start a fire, it dropped down to 30 degrees after being in the 70s all day.
https://i.imgur.com/Kx9g5Af.jpg

The second time I went up there, to prep a camp site (plant grass), I brought my truck tent, much, much better and don't have to worry about any critters getting into the tent when I am not looking.
https://i.imgur.com/vIziFqZ.jpg

These tents are great, it rained for about three hours and not a drop of water got in, or under the tent, it goes right outside the truck bed.
https://i.imgur.com/LsT9Kit.jpg

This time I planned to stay for a couple days, so setup the kitchen, these BlackStone grills are great, highly recommend them, but a bit much for just me, I think I will just use the campfire next time.
https://i.imgur.com/WKcwAqA.jpg

MightyThor
05-22-2023, 12:54 PM

yep, seen a couple of cars with the doors nearly pulled off too. Youtube has videos.

Idaho45guy
05-24-2023, 02:42 AM
The second time I went up there, to prep a camp site (plant grass), I brought my truck tent, much, much better and don't have to worry about any critters getting into the tent when I am not looking.
https://i.imgur.com/vIziFqZ.jpg

These tents are great, it rained for about three hours and not a drop of water got in, or under the tent, it goes right outside the truck bed.
https://i.imgur.com/LsT9Kit.jpg

This time I planned to stay for a couple days, so setup the kitchen, these BlackStone grills are great, highly recommend them, but a bit much for just me, I think I will just use the campfire next time.
https://i.imgur.com/WKcwAqA.jpg

I have the same tent. But, I don't have a pickup. I bought it for my utility trailer and it works great...