PDA

View Full Version : Linotype to Pure Lead Exchange rate?

6mm win lee
04-28-2023, 11:25 PM
Guys, I bought a half ton of Lino pigs from RotoMetals when I was in the moola. Now not in the moola. I was wondering what the "exchange rate" (barter) between lino and pure lead might be. As an fictitious example, say, five pounds of lino to 20 pounds of pure.

Or am I over thinking all this? I don't need that much lino. I could afford to lose some of it. Just need some pure for my .38 Long Colt.

Outpost75
04-29-2023, 12:26 AM
I would compare the current Roto Metals prices for pure vs. lino, but I think you are close.
But if it were me I would keep enough of the lino to blend a quantity of pure 1 part lino to 4 parts pure and use it for everything.

sixshot
04-29-2023, 02:21 AM
That would make a very good alloy.

Dick

kevin c
04-29-2023, 03:29 AM
Something between two and three to one soft to Lino would be my estimate. Recent S&S ads I’ve seen had soft lead for a buck fifty a pound and Lino for three.

wilecoyote
04-29-2023, 11:50 AM
...But if it were me I would keep enough of the lino to blend a quantity of pure 1 part lino to 4 parts pure and use it for everything.

as rule of thumb, could I apply the same using monotype, or it's advisable to change the PB:Monotype ratio from your 4:1 ?_
thanks for any input about that_

Rickf1985
04-29-2023, 08:38 PM
Monotype has a much higher tin and antimony content so you will also need to use a different ratio. Mono is roughly 2-1 antimony to tin where lino is 3-1 antimony to tin. But the ratios of both tin and antimony is much higher in mono. 9/19/72 where lino is 4/12/84.

Rapier
04-30-2023, 08:52 AM
As the local need is filled, the demand will go down. Suggest you do a move out rate to get rid of all of the excess. Lino pigs get in the way and are a pain to move, over and over again. Bought a large stock of going out of business Print Shop pigs in the 80s. Ended up giving a lot away.

wilecoyote
04-30-2023, 10:55 AM
Monotype has a much higher tin and antimony content so you will also need to use a different ratio. Mono is roughly 2-1 antimony to tin where lino is 3-1 antimony to tin. But the ratios of both tin and antimony is much higher in mono. 9/19/72 where lino is 4/12/84.

...thank you very much: I got my hands on a hefty amount of mono, but I'm trying to avoid wasting it even before I start using it.
with WW and linotype I wasn't so careful in my early days, when it seemed that their abundance lasted forever_

Rickf1985
04-30-2023, 11:18 AM
Get the Cast Boolits alloy calculator and that will help you figure out where you need to be. I have found several mistakes in that calculator but I am not an Excell wizard so I have no idea how to get it correct. It gets you in the ballpark though and you can fine tune from there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators

Teddy (punchie)
04-30-2023, 11:49 AM
If I recall correctly local prices use to be. All cleaned and ready to cast, use etc.

Lino 2.00 a pound

WW 1.50 a pound

and Soft (pure) 1.00

I try to pick it up as needed. Good clean scrap, dead soft lead is harder for me to find. If I find a deal it's mixed and not soft.