PDA

View Full Version : lever gun prices skyrocket

farmbif
04-28-2023, 03:04 PM
ive visited a few gun shops in past week just to see whats what. there was a big gun show in Knoxville last weekend and the least expensive lever gun was $1000
thats for a post 64 30-30 winchester that was a shooter for sure.
at one of the gun shops I saw a little handgun I would not mind having and asked if they might want to take a trade. when I suggested maybe a marlin 30-30 the guy behind the counter got very excited and started making me offers well north of $500 without even seeing the gun. then. a little looking on gun broker the prices are way up there for everything I looked at in marlins and winchesters.
has anyone noticed this in your area?

jonp
04-28-2023, 03:24 PM
I sure have. Both down south and in the North East. Levers up there were a dime a dozen not long ago and prices quite reasonable. Last year when I was home a very beat up 30-30 was tagged over $600 when I wouldn't have given over $150 for it considering the condition. I have no idea when levers got so steep which is too bad as I'd love to get a couple like a 40-65/45-60 or 405.

huntinlever
04-28-2023, 04:16 PM
What do you guys think is driving it? (I mean, obviously supply and demand, but what is the underlying reason?)

Txcowboy52
04-28-2023, 04:39 PM
Prices on lever guns have been thru the roof in my neck of the woods for a couple of years now. If you find a decent one for $1000.00 around here you better jump on it or it will be gone !! I wish I knew what was driving the price up.

slam45
04-28-2023, 04:48 PM
guys, thanks to slow Joe our money is worthless... life in the former land of plenty is going to get real different very soon... today the buying power of a $ is melting faster than the snow...

beemer
04-28-2023, 05:00 PM
That's not what the guy told me that wanted to buy my 1895ss. Prices are crazy around here too. Most anything decent is around $1000. Price a decent old mil-surp, saw a #4 mk2 in good shape for $1100. Price a new truck, it ain't just firearms. The government is trying to take what you have by inflation.

Good Cheer
04-28-2023, 05:00 PM
Was wanting to try out a cast boolit .27 lever action using 30-30 brass reloaded with 6.8SPC dies, making the necks long enough to hold lots of lube grooves. Price of a suitable lever gun pushed costs over the edge and cancelled the project... the molds and dies were sold off. Heavy sigh.
:rolleyes:

Bad Ass Wallace
04-28-2023, 05:31 PM
Good ones are getting few & far between. My last purchase was $AU400 for a 32/20 with no sights and no magazine and a big chip out of the forend. Fortunately after a barrel clean-up, sorceing the missing parts I have a brilliant shooter.

Rockindaddy
04-28-2023, 05:44 PM
Its too bad Winchester cheapened their 1894 in 1964! They were a well made rifle but instead of raising their prices, they cheapened their product. Pre 64' 94 Winchesters are a classic and are becoming collectors items. Its just like when they decided to reproduce the 1886 Browning designed Winchester. Instead of tooling up in house and CNC machine the intricate parts of an 86', they had the Japanese make them. Having several 1886 Winchesters already and shooting Bambi for many years with them; I looked at the Mikarou 86' Winchester. Almost barfed!!!! The lawyer tang slide safety where the original model desgination should appear had an ugly useless lump! For over 100 years the half cock safety notch on the hammer has worked just fine!!! Having a working gunshop for many years I have welded up the tangs on the Japanese 86' Winchesters and recut the original markings into the tang and refinished the receivers. The owners went and dragged them all over the West Virginia and Pennsylvania woods. The Marlin is a fine rifle that allows for the mounting of a scope over the receiver as the gun side ejects. With Marlin going out of business and Ruger maintaining the high quality standards Marlin put into their rifles the price of new rifles has gone up. So the existing Marlins in circulation have now gone up. The moron in the White House who keeps printing more and more money and giving it away has not helped !!! The inflation they have caused; now we see real estate, automobiles, and guns to go up in price! Spend the money once and weep! The old lever guns will never get any cheaper.

Kenstone
04-28-2023, 05:57 PM
Why...
The demise of Marlin, with Henry taking over...
jmo,

scattershot
04-28-2023, 06:45 PM
I just looked at a new Ruger/Marlin 336 and I can tell you, it was a beautiful piece of work. Fit and finish was outstanding. $450 dollar rifle, but they want north of $1200 for it. No, thanks.

beechbum444
04-28-2023, 07:10 PM
The underlying reason..1) the new group of shooters and collectors never knew the days of $300 JM Marlins and Winnys....Any market price is set with a seller putting a high price put there and seeing who will pay that price.....The new buyers are willing to pay that price and ....there you go.....at least thats my theory

Outpost75
04-28-2023, 07:15 PM
What do you guys think is driving it? (I mean, obviously supply and demand, but what is the underlying reason?)

Simple fear. People are worried about Biden banning semis and high cap mags, so they hedge their bets with Cowboy guns.

Good luck confiscating the ARs. Sure recipe for Civil War 2.

openbook
04-28-2023, 09:33 PM
The underlying reason..1) the new group of shooters and collectors never knew the days of $300 JM Marlins and Winnys....Any market price is set with a seller putting a high price put there and seeing who will pay that price.....The new buyers are willing to pay that price and ....there you go.....at least thats my theory

I was going more this direction on this question... Of course inflation has kicked prices on a lot of stuff up double, but the stories here are showing levers going up 4-6 times in price. I think the new shooters spend all their money on the "cool" guns and when they get tired of burning ammo at the range, they're ready to spend "big boy money" on a lever gun. And as beechbum said, they don't know that they shouldn't all cost north of $1000.

racepres
04-29-2023, 08:17 AM
Its too bad Winchester cheapened their 1894 in 1964! They were a well made rifle but instead of raising their prices, they cheapened their product. Pre 64' 94 Winchesters are a classic and are becoming collectors items. Its just like when they decided to reproduce the 1886 Browning designed Winchester. Instead of tooling up in house and CNC machine the intricate parts of an 86', they had the Japanese make them. Having several 1886 Winchesters already and shooting Bambi for many years with them; I looked at the Mikarou 86' Winchester. Almost barfed!!!! The lawyer tang slide safety where the original model desgination should appear had an ugly useless lump! For over 100 years the half cock safety notch on the hammer has worked just fine!!! Having a working gunshop for many years I have welded up the tangs on the Japanese 86' Winchesters and recut the original markings into the tang and refinished the receivers. The owners went and dragged them all over the West Virginia and Pennsylvania woods. The Marlin is a fine rifle that allows for the mounting of a scope over the receiver as the gun side ejects. With Marlin going out of business and Ruger maintaining the high quality standards Marlin put into their rifles the price of new rifles has gone up. So the existing Marlins in circulation have now gone up. The moron in the White House who keeps printing more and more money and giving it away has not helped !!! The inflation they have caused; now we see real estate, automobiles, and guns to go up in price! Spend the money once and weep! The old lever guns will never get any cheaper.

Oh...IDK...there is a bunch of real estate between the pre-64 and the Japanese MFG Winny!!
I own a 1951, and a 1982-83.. I would have a hard time trading one for the other!!
tho I do Not want AE/Rebound hammer/Safety...

MrWolf
04-29-2023, 08:21 AM
Noticed it for awhile now. Seen the prices on MarlinOwners? Wow. First time I saw those kinds of prices, I thought the seller was nuts until folks were buying them.
Ron

pietro
04-29-2023, 08:53 AM

It's not just leverguns..................

The real reason is that the dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.93% per year between 1964 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 873.66%. :violin:

This means that today's prices are 9.74 times as high as average prices since 1964, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index.

A dollar today only buys 10.270% of what it could buy back then.

When I was a newlywed in 1965, a loaf of white bread was less than $0.20, compared to $2-$3 today.

Used cars in good shape were readily had for $300-$350

I bought my home in 1973 for $22K - today I'm paying taxes on it for an evaluation (from the municipality) of $360K

Personally, I see no end to it in my lifetime. [smilie=b:

beemer
04-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Simple fear. People are worried about Biden banning semis and high cap mags, so they hedge their bets with Cowboy guns.

More to that than meets the eye, Appalachian Assault Rifle. A 357 lever gun, lightweight, reasonable short range power, easy and fast to operate and shoot, load it without putting it out of action and inconspicuous. You can have a matching revolver too. It is timeless, the concept worked in the 1800's and still works today. What's not to like ?

A 1894c and a Speed Six, what a great combo.

freakonaleash
04-29-2023, 09:34 AM
I only buy old lever guns . I never see them under 1k. Old 86 shooter grade goes 25 to 3k. 1881 marlin shooters are 2.5k and up. M93s can still be found at 1.5k
Caliber makes quite a difference in price. 38 55 and 32 40 are more expensive and hard to find. 30 30s are everywhere. 86s and old marlin 95s in 45 70 are very expensive too.

dverna
04-29-2023, 10:59 AM

I had "backed up" my small arsenal of AR's (only acquired for when the SHTF) with a number of lever action rifles. But at my age, I have decided to thin my herd of lever actions. I will keep a couple but will likely be dead or close to it but the time AR's are banned...and they will be.

jonp
04-29-2023, 01:31 PM

So your saying the days of a barrel filled with $69 Mosins are over?

MostlyLeverGuns
04-29-2023, 02:01 PM
You missed the $9.95 Carcano's(never fired, dropped once), $19.95 British Enfields, and $29.95 Mauser 98's (the 60's)? Lever guns are not as scary as the 'Modern Sporting Rifles' , little or no legislation concerning ownership and much handier, faster than most bolt guns. Compared to the MODERN bolt guns, they are more expensive to produce, I do miss the times of a new Marlin 336 for $53.95 (1964), supply and demand, inflation - as a 'older' guy, I must remind myself that times change when I look at ALL prices. As people get concerned for their own safety, not relying on government, all firearms will get more valuable, the leverguns have the ability to shoot fast WITHOUT scaring the neighbors.

Rusty Goose
04-29-2023, 07:15 PM
"Appalachian Assault Rifle"

That is hilarious! I traded a Mossberg 500 for my Marlin 1894c (.357). The p/o had drilled holes crosswise through the stock and forearm in haphazard fashion. He then ran paracord through the holes as loops for the nylon webbing strap tied to the loops. A fine sling it was too....

danmat
04-30-2023, 01:29 PM
Went a show yesterday, I have a couple of holes to fill in my levergun collection.
Top of the list is a 9422 mag, found one excellent shape 1350.00 thinking back I should have bought it.
Found a Marlin 39a as new no box 1200.00 crazy prices, but compared to new levergun prices probably in line.

Rockindaddy
04-30-2023, 01:52 PM
Pietro: I like your take on leverguns and inflation!!! John Browning sold his patent rights to Winchester in 1883 for the 1886 Winchester for $50,000. That was an incredible amount of money! A wage for the day then was $ .10~ .25/ day!!! I have an old Marlin 1881 that I like to shoot. They said that gun cost $32.50 in 1882. How could an average wage earner afford that amount of money? Good points you have brought to light. This Marxist administration sure has not helped inflation!

Pinger87
04-30-2023, 03:46 PM
i remember snagging a lightly used winch 94 30-30 fifteen years ago for less than $300. I cant imagine it being worth $1000.

Ithaca Gunner
04-30-2023, 06:16 PM
I didn't really pay any attention to any lever gun prices at the last show I attended at the beginning of the month, there were a few '94 Winchesters there, no Marlins at all. I did notice one '94, a flat band and I think the price was $850. or there about.

Last Sept. at a big show I didn't see any lever guns moving though there were some '94's sprinkled around and a few Marlins. I saw a 39A that had seen better days, I think the price was around $700. A .25/20 M-94 rifle at $1,000. worn, but good bore. And what I had been looking for, a 336 rifle, half magazine, pistol grip, waffle top at $995. I was about to ask about it then noticed it was .32spl and walked away. Nice rifle, but I don't want a .32spl.

I really haven't seen anyone buying lever guns, (if there's a rush?). I have noticed a drastic increase in mil-surp prices! One guy had a table full, all the bolt actions were $1,000. (a few Mausers, a No.1Mk3* a No.4MkI a Swede) the cheapest things on his table were a pair of SKS's priced at $700. ea.

Shawlerbrook
04-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Inflation is just transitory, don’t worry.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-30-2023, 08:08 PM
I don't know what these are worth? A matching pair of '92's in 38WCF that have consequetive 4 digit serial numbers indicating they were made in the first year of manufacture 1892. They were purchased for the State prison service guards. I've had them for over 30 years and I paid $500 for the pair.

https://i.imgur.com/5cXpWqfl.jpg

GasGuzzler
04-30-2023, 08:28 PM
Fake Marlins made better than ever likely by Ruger help our old stuff gain.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2023, 09:19 PM
Lot's of classic styled gun values have ballooned since St George Floyd tried to pass a funny Jackson.

barnetmill
05-01-2023, 12:44 AM
Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post

Like others here that was my motivation in part to buy a couple of lever guns. I would say about 15 years ago I purchased a lightly used JM marlin for $200 and no paper work and might just have a winchester of the about same age. These guns sat in closets with some minor rust on the '94.
I will wait to see where all of the gun law making is going. But it seems now is the time to sell before someone like PSA decides to start cranking out '92's and '94s for decent prices. Some one like BCA might try, but I doubt that could make one that would work.
For the '94 a spare firing pin is a good idea I was told and also do not dry fire them.

FergusonTO35
05-01-2023, 07:40 AM
I think Rossi may be going to jump back in to the market for larger leverguns. The demand is certainly there. People are gladly paying more for Rossi 92's than what JM Marlins went for less than a decade ago. If the Turks decide to get into lever actions watch out. Good quality at even better prices.

Rockingkj
05-01-2023, 08:09 AM
I don't know what these are worth? A matching pair of '92's in 38WCF that have consequetive 4 digit serial numbers indicating they were made in the first year of manufacture 1892. They were purchased for the State prison service guards. I've had them for over 30 years and I paid $500 for the pair.

https://i.imgur.com/5cXpWqfl.jpg

I don’t know about values in Australia but in the USA the pair would be quite pricey. dandy pair of rifles! But as pointed out elsewhere in this thread money is not worth what it used to be. Sota wonder if things have really appreciated that much. Or the $ just not worth as much. Rather have good guns.

dverna
05-01-2023, 08:50 AM
I just sold a very nice JM marked Marlin 336 with scope for a friend of mine on Gunbroker for less than $525. You guys should look there instead of gun shows.

There are people getting rid of stuff to make ends meet and there are decent buys out there. I do not see gun prices getting much higher in the short term because of that. Sure, collectors may bid up a unique or rare model, but guns for shooting are aplenty and affordable.

freakonaleash
05-01-2023, 10:08 AM
The problem is the US dollar isn't worth anything anymore. The guns are still the same price but buying power of the dollar has dropped. Go try and buy a new truck for what you paid for your last new truck 10 or 15 years ago.

Sgt H
05-01-2023, 11:17 AM
If you put things in perspective, levergun prices currently are cheap, yes cheap. When the 1860 Henry rifle was introduced the price was $40, 2 months pay for a first Sgt in the army at the time. The 1873 Winchester had an initial price of $50, again about 2 months pay for the average worker. When the 1886 Winchester was introduced things were better as it only required about 1 1/2 months pay, also the price of the 1873 models was down to about $20 as was the 1892 at the end of the 1800's. Combining the production numbers of the Henry, 1866, 1873 and 1892 Winchesters- just a bit under 2 million. Total production of the 1886 only 160,000.

FergusonTO35
05-01-2023, 11:32 AM
If you put things in perspective, levergun prices currently are cheap, yes cheap. When the 1860 Henry rifle was introduced the price was $40, 2 months pay for a first Sgt in the army at the time. The 1873 Winchester had an initial price of $50, again about 2 months pay for the average worker. When the 1886 Winchester was introduced things were better as it only required about 1 1/2 months pay, also the price of the 1873 models was down to about $20 as was the 1892 at the end of the 1800's. Combining the production numbers of the Henry, 1866, 1873 and 1892 Winchesters- just a bit under 2 million. Total production of the 1886 only 160,000.

It's amazing how nobody thinks about that. Yeah, let's go back to the good old days and spend five grand on a standard hunting rifle.

snowwolfe
05-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Wages are up, social security, military pensions, federal pensions, VA benefits all receive annual cost of living raises. Who would expect rifle prices not to increase over the last 3-5 years?

BamaNapper
05-01-2023, 03:57 PM

This was my first thought as well. But then I got to wondering. If so, then why wouldn't the cost of bolt rifles rise as much as the lever rifles? Lever rifles seem to have increased about 200% in a decade, while bolt rifles appear to have increased maybe 50-75%? It would seem bolt actions would be the logical choice for the casual gun owner, and lessen the demand for lever guns which would pull their prices back in line. Perhaps just the fact that there are more companies making bolt action rifles is keeping their price down? It makes my brain hurt.

racepres
05-01-2023, 04:01 PM
Heck!!! I wonder what the price of Trombone actions is doing...I like 'em!!!

Hondolane
05-01-2023, 04:38 PM
This was my first thought as well. But then I got to wondering. If so, then why wouldn't the cost of bolt rifles rise as much as the lever rifles? Lever rifles seem to have increased about 200% in a decade, while bolt rifles appear to have increased maybe 50-75%? It would seem bolt actions would be the logical choice for the casual gun owner, and lessen the demand for lever guns which would pull their prices back in line. Perhaps just the fact that there are more companies making bolt action rifles is keeping their price down? It makes my brain hurt.

More people want to be cowboys with lever guns than hunters with bolt actions.

barnetmill
05-01-2023, 11:58 PM

You are probably not too much into urban combat weapons. For a long time people have set up lever guns for combat in restrictive area relative to semiauto rifles. Lever guns fire faster and the 30-30, .357, .44 mag, or hot loaded .45 are excellent mankillers from a carbine at combat differences. The draw back is that they are slower to reload, but if they use sidegate loading can be reloaded as you shoot it empty.
Now there are also some pump action rifle that have off and on been offered that use detachable magazines. I would want one of these.
Remington 7615P Pump-Action Rifle

https://www.americanrifleman.org/media/0z1fejhy/200952010461-rem7615_fs.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=987&height=551&rnd=132615024509030000&quality=60

Soundguy
05-02-2023, 06:40 AM

I think it is because of ever changing gun laws and restrictions. Look at what guns the govt likes to pick on as categories:
Semi auto Handguns, and very rarely a DA revolver or two.
AR style any platform.
Shotgun-like 'firearms'.

What don't you see?
Boltguns, break open singles and doubles, and lever guns and revolvers, especially SA style with no swing out cylinder and a loading gate.
Singles are usually ( not always ) cheaper entry guns. Lots of hunting imho gets done with bolts and levers. Many find levers a hair more fluid to use, even if you are slightly caliber limited on the rifle caliber stuff... However you make that up with pistol calibers. Not many boltguns in 44mag, 45 colt, 357 mag..etc.. But for those that like to carry 1 caliber when 2 gun hunting... A 44 wheelguns and lever gun..or 45 or 357 can be nice.

Gun grabber agencies lump single action revolvers and lever guns into the low priority basket...

Now..because of that... Some people may focus on those. I've heard a couple or 3 at a Gun show before discussing what they were going to buy based on where they lived and the laws that might change..and they talked themselves out of high priority style guns like AR and high capacity handguns in favor of things like levers, break opens or SA handguns based on their idea that ' those won't get banned', etc.

winelover
05-02-2023, 08:18 AM
June 2023 issue of G&A has article on the recent reintroduction of the Marlin 336 made by Ruger. MSRP is $950, real world price should be under that.

Winelover

indian joe
05-02-2023, 08:29 AM
what is behind the illegality of short barreled rifles / shotguns in the US ??
longarms are legal - pistols are everywhere yet a cut down rifle or shotgun will get you in jail ? makes no sense at all to an Aussie
we not allowed to have em either but we also subject to a pistol ban so its a little more logical here ?????

FergusonTO35
05-02-2023, 08:36 AM
You are probably not too much into urban combat weapons. For a long time people have set up lever guns for combat in restrictive area relative to semiauto rifles. Lever guns fire faster and the 30-30, .357, .44 mag, or hot loaded .45 are excellent mankillers from a carbine at combat differences. The draw back is that they are slower to reload, but if they use sidegate loading can be reloaded as you shoot it empty.
Now there are also some pump action rifle that have off and on been offered that use detachable magazines. I would want one of these.
Remington 7615P Pump-Action Rifle

https://www.americanrifleman.org/media/0z1fejhy/200952010461-rem7615_fs.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=987&height=551&rnd=132615024509030000&quality=60

I have a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 with Nodak Spud sights, and I would take it over any AR carbine out there. My humble opinion, the lack of autoloading feature is not much of a handicap. Seems like it causes people (especially cops) to just spray rounds and endanger others. Now, I enjoy my AR's and don't support them being banned or anything just to be clear.

openbook
05-02-2023, 09:45 AM
Just a plug for alexanderkidd's Marlin 1895 for sale over in swappin' and sellin'. He's down to $900 on this gun, which comes fitted with an aperture sight and he says has had only about 200 rounds through it.

I just thought of this thread when I was taking a look at his post--Now there's a nice 1895 for under $1000! The peep sight I'm guessing would cost you another $50-$150 installed. For anyone looking to get into an 1895, could be worth a look. But go quick because he's almost done with this offer.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?455415-WTS-Marlin-1895G

georgerkahn
05-02-2023, 10:29 AM
ive visited a few gun shops in past week just to see whats what. there was a big gun show in Knoxville last weekend and the least expensive lever gun was $1000
thats for a post 64 30-30 winchester that was a shooter for sure.
at one of the gun shops I saw a little handgun I would not mind having and asked if they might want to take a trade. when I suggested maybe a marlin 30-30 the guy behind the counter got very excited and started making me offers well north of $500 without even seeing the gun. then. a little looking on gun broker the prices are way up there for everything I looked at in marlins and winchesters.
has anyone noticed this in your area?

Funny that a LGS -- which normally has a few levers (notably '94 Winnies and 334 Marlins) had NONE when I visited a week or two ago. Dealer/owner suggested -- I had inquired if he recalled who had purchased a Marlin I had been eye-balling -- bion a young fellow made the purchase. He offered that with ALL the new gun (anti-gun ;)) laws banning "assault rifles" and some/many semi-s, the lever action remains, in many a folks mind, as perhaps the LAST action type to be banned. He seems to remember the kid who purchased that Marlin voicing it be better to have a lever action rifle, than NO rifle (after government takes all other actions away!) at all.
Maybe...maybe not. Sadly, though, there is some logic to this way of thinking.
geo

GregLaROCHE
05-02-2023, 10:58 AM
We’ve entered into a period of high inflation. I don’t think it’s particularly lever guns. All guns and supplies, as well as everything else, is costing more and more.

Electrod47
05-02-2023, 11:03 AM
I think everybody is pretty much gunned up these days. . Heck, I'm 76 years old and I still own 2 AR's 5.56& 7.62. and hunt with them regular. My original deer rig was a Model 94 30/30. When I got my first adult serious hunting rig I had to have and purchased a Savage 99 in .308.
So yeah I am partial for lever actions, though admittedly they aren't the perfect choice in this day and age. My point is folks have got everything else, might as well add a lever action to the stable. Henry has built a huge company and following from from just that. With the recent figures on new shooters, its no surprise all the levers in pawn shops has gotten scooped up. Just when most manufacturers had fled the business.

jgstrug
05-02-2023, 11:23 AM
When a salesman can look you in the face and say this pickup is worth 100,000$ we are living in a broken economy and everything is effected.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
05-02-2023, 01:09 PM
The price of gold never changes. Only the value of money.

truckjohn
05-02-2023, 01:34 PM

For the most part, they are exempt from magazine restrictions and assault weapons bans.

Hunting. They are a very good choice in places where semi-auto rifles are restricted. They give you a very good choice for a repeater where straight walled or pistol caliber rifles are required/popular. With the death of the Remington 7400 series, there really aren't semi-auto hunting rifles outside of the AR family and the BAR. The lever action is the obvious next choice.

Also panic buying.

Also, most lever actions shoot lower power cartridges and that's appealing to a lot of people.

rondog
05-02-2023, 03:43 PM
Glad I loaded up on things when I did.

FergusonTO35
05-03-2023, 09:59 AM
Lever actions come in a wide variety of calibers, second only to bolt actions. With AR's and AK's, anything other than 5.56, 7.62x39, .300 BO, 9mm, or .308 is a custom job that can easily cost more than a really nice lever action. I think the main reason AR's are cheap is simply economy of scale and so many small firms slapping them together. If there were only a handful of firms producing them as is the case for lever actions then AR's would be just as pricey if not more so. When I was a kid, on the odd chance that a shop had any sort of AR in stock it was around $500.00 for a Colt, a little bit less for a Bushmaster. That's around $1400 today.

TyGuy
05-03-2023, 10:32 AM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned (perhaps I skimmed over it) the rise in suppressor usage. People are realizing lever guns make great suppressor hosts.

Soundguy
05-03-2023, 10:58 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a lever gun with a suppressor I'm not even sure how any of mine would work with the tube under the barrel setting at the same distance as the barrel.. or the 1860.. for sure wouldn't work there..

Hondolane
05-03-2023, 11:12 AM
It concerns me that gun owners purchase guns they feel won't be confiscated. That's a strange mindset as a free people.

TyGuy
05-03-2023, 11:42 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a lever gun with a suppressor I'm not even sure how any of mine would work with the tube under the barrel setting at the same distance as the barrel.. or the 1860.. for sure wouldn't work there..

Typically the magazine tube is shortened (if necessary) and the front sight moved back. Works best with side gate rifles as you have to remove the suppressor to load a tube-loaded one. They can be very quiet with subsonics. 313636

freakonaleash
05-03-2023, 11:43 AM
It's all about the devaluation of the dollar people.....

Soundguy
05-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Typically the magazine tube is shortened (if necessary) and the front sight moved back. Works best with side gate rifles as you have to remove the suppressor to load a tube-loaded one. They can be very quiet with subsonics. 313636

Might as well add pic rails and a black plastic stock...ugh...

FergusonTO35
05-03-2023, 03:56 PM
longarms are legal - pistols are everywhere yet a cut down rifle or shotgun will get you in jail ? makes no sense at all to an Aussie
we not allowed to have em either but we also subject to a pistol ban so its a little more logical here ?????

Concealability. The original version of the National Firearms Act of 1934 would have added all handguns to the naughty list on this basis, and there was talk of it during the 1968 act. Short barrel rifles and shotguns are more restricted because they supposedly offer nearly the same power and accuracy as a full size gun in a small and concealable package. BTW, short barrel rifles and shotguns aren't illegal in most places here, but they do require a $200 tax stamp, registration, and a long waiting period to be approved. Which, keeps the number of legal ones in circulation pretty small by comparison to other guns.

Seeker
05-03-2023, 06:12 PM

The Government and their sneaky underhanded policies are always to blame when it comes to firearms and ammunition supplies. There is no logical explanation for the rising cost of powder or primers or the lack of (large rifle). They have somehow figured out how to hit us reloaders.

TyGuy
05-03-2023, 07:05 PM
Might as well add pic rails and a black plastic stock...ugh...

Haha! That was just a picture I found online but to each his own, right? I have seen some real abominations with plastic or even skeletal aluminum stocks. Those are not my cup of tea either but I do love shooting suppressed. When mine is finished it will have nice traditional walnut furniture and blued steel but the can is a must.

BB57
05-04-2023, 07:44 AM

The roots of the restricted categories for suppressors, short barrel rifles and automatic weapons was in their use by criminal gangs of the prohibition era and in particular the motor bandit gangs of the early 1930s. Clyde Barrow for example was fond of cutting the barrel down on a BAR or Colt Monitor so that he could carry it concealed under a trench coat while he walked across the street and into a bank.

Full auto weapons like the Thompson sub machine gun, while popular in organized crime, were also advertised and sold as personal defense weapons for ranchers etc.

I’m not sure how suppressors got swept up into the net, other than perhaps early mis portrayals by Hollywood that presented them as being a lot quieter than they actually are.

The irony was that the NFA of 1934 was a knew jerk response to a small number of criminals who ignored the law anyway, and in the case of the motor bandit gangs, they were usually stolen weapons anyway, often from poorly secured national guard armories.

The larger issues that allowed these gangs to operate were jurisdictional in nature, and it took the creation of armed FBI agents with national jurisdiction, following the Lindbergh kidnapping in 1932, along with better forensics, also initiated in 1932 with a national crime lab, and improved coordination and communication between law enforcement agencies to end the problem.

The motor bandit phenomenon was brief and was a result of both the end of prohibition and the onset of the Great Depression. Much focus was put on law enforcement being “out gunned” by those criminal gangs, with a consequent focus on the need to control access to the types of weapons used by gangs and prohibition era organized crime.

The irony was that by the time the NFA of 1934 was passed into law, the era of the motor bandit gangs was over. As far as organized crimes, the registration and $200 tax stamp requirements never put a dent in their access to full auto weapons, and instead just made them prohibitively expensive for law abiding citizens.

Nearly 90 years later, when even countries with fairly strict gun control see the benefits of suppressors for hunting purposes and do not restrict them, we still maintain them as NFA items and the ATF effectively drags its feet on Form 4 approvals.

In contrast to 1934 when the NFA was passed, with the specific provision that it not be applied to existing firearms in common use such as the 14” Model 94 Trapper carbines, the ATF is actively attempting to force upwards of 10,000,000 braced pistols into the short barrel rifle category. This is a reversal of ATF opinion after 10 years of saying braced pistols were not short barrel rifles and not subject to the NFA of 1934 provisions.

That action violates settled law that states a firearm must be both “dangerous” and “uncommon” to fall under the NFA provisions. Ironically, when permission to produce them was first requested the ATF under the Obama administration could have denied them on the basis of being “dangerous and uncommon”, but didn’t. With anywhere between 10 million and 40 million produced since 2013, that is no longer a legal option. It also raises questions about the use of Chevron deference by the same agency to first say they are not NFA items and then a decade later under a different administration say they are. Worse, doing so after the fact and after millions were legally purchased by law abiding owners moves this from a simple regulatory interpretation under Chevron deference to creating a criminal penalty of up to 10 years in prison if owners fail to register them. In that case the rule of lenity should apply, where if there are two possible interpretations, the one most favorable to the public / defendant must be used. That issue is headed to the Supreme Court along with a host of other related issues as the ATF has clearly over stepped it’s bounds in a number of recent reinterpretations.

——

More to your point, long guns of any kind are only used in around 1 to 1.5 percent of firearm involved crimes per year. Even in “mass shootings” handguns are used 86% of the time. The ATF in its NPRM announcing the reclassification of braced pistols cited just 2 cases where braced pistols were present at a crime scene, a mass shooting in both cases. However at the time, there had been over 2600 mass shootings since 2013 when braced pistols were approved and first began to be sold. That’s 2 out of 2600 incidents, and out of a minimum estimated 10 million sold. By any measure it just isn’t an issue worth the time and effort ATF has poured into it - much like the out dated and antiquated NFA of 1934 itself.

It isn’t about logic, common sense, or actual use in crime. It’s about perception, media spin, and larger agendas.

Sadly it diverts attention from larger issues that underpin violent crime in America. Issues that are left unaddressed as the focus is placed on gun control, hyped and promoted as some sort of magic bean that will magically resolve a problem of violence that isn’t caused by guns in the first place.

Frank V
05-10-2023, 04:24 PM
My take is, a lever action has a aura of old west & not threatening. The ARs are getting a lot of bad press now & made to look evil (thank you media), lever guns are not. As for price, have we looked at nice S&W handguns. Prices are up everywhere these days. Lever guns lend themselves well for cast bullets & there is still a place for using the same ctg. in both rifle & handgun.
AND THEY ARE FUN,😁

Hondolane
05-10-2023, 07:14 PM
Seems prices have skyrocketed as well as the size of Lever Guns.

justindad
05-10-2023, 09:52 PM
About five years ago I turned away from a brand new GP100 Match Champion that was $750 in the store. Midway has the available for $1,239 today.

stubshaft
05-10-2023, 10:00 PM
"Tactitards" rule! The general public has never realized that the lever action rifle is, and always will be the ORIGINAL assault rifle.

That being said I remember having 5 Model 94's in 30/30 as they were the number 1 hog/goat rifle on the Island of Hawaii. None of them cost more than $100.00.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-11-2023, 03:52 AM
In Australia the gummint grubs banned semi-auto's so we were left with only lever guns as an option. Last year in a cowboy "speed rifle" event a timed 10 rounds starting with an empty chamber. I had my turn with my Colt 'Lightning pump in 44/40' an recorded 3.9 seconds.

Then came a young shooter with a short stroked '73 Winchester, 1.92 seconds, I was gobsmacked, less than half my time!

That's the beauty and value of a good lever gun!

FergusonTO35
05-11-2023, 10:20 PM
We have two Pythons under the glass for $1300 apiece at my shop and I doubt they will still be there on monday.

joego
05-11-2023, 10:59 PM
It's not the that the guns are more expensive it's because the dollar is loosing value faster than a varmit boolit going down range.
I bought a 336 marlin auction at buds for $200 bucks but that was the last cheap one I bought.
Henry side load .357 was $1k- nice gun.

joego
05-11-2023, 11:03 PM
Over the years I've grown to love the vintage gun designs over the auto loaders anyway.

30calflash
05-12-2023, 08:17 AM
The drop in value of the dollar made me just think this.

When a good 30-30 was around $300 it was about the same money as 10,000 primers. Looks to be fairly close at this time.

Texas by God
05-12-2023, 09:14 AM
My late father’s Marlin 1894CL .218 Bee.
My sister owns it now.
I don’t know what it’s worth- but it won’t be for sale until we’re dead and gone.
It’s a good walking varminter!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230512/32ef3f073e52275b87e1248a55f61c4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FergusonTO35
05-12-2023, 10:52 PM
I disassembled my Rossi 92 today and was amazed how tight and precise the parts fit is. Even inside the action most surfaces are smooth with very few machine marks. I really don't think Miroku could have improved on it. Inflated price or not, that is a rifle I'm proud to own.

r80rt
05-15-2023, 04:38 PM
Yep, I have three of the new CBC made Rossi 92's, they are darn fine firearms.

Texas by God
05-16-2023, 09:52 AM
I looked over and handled three new Rossi guns at a LGS the other day. A .44 Magnum stainless lever action, a .22 bolt action, and the little Tuffy .410 single shot.
All looked very well made and the actions worked smoothly.
I would have bought any of these if I were in the market.

FergusonTO35
05-16-2023, 06:48 PM
Today, my favorite shop sold a 1994 Winchester .30-30 for $575 out the door. Common hardwood stock/pushbutton safety/20" barrel/.30-30 in decent shape. I thought that was a decent price for buyer and seller. I wouldn't pay a penny more though. You can get a new Henry for under a grand, and the new Ruglin 336 is supposed to have a real world price about the same. Both of which are arguably better guns with excellent factory support.

murf205
06-10-2023, 09:30 AM
My late father’s Marlin 1894CL .218 Bee.
My sister owns it now.
I don’t know what it’s worth- but it won’t be for sale until we’re dead and gone.
It’s a good walking varminter!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230512/32ef3f073e52275b87e1248a55f61c4d.jpg

Man! If a straight stock 1/2 magazine 218 Bee doesn't make you drool, you need to take up golf. Your dad would be proud to know it's in good hands.