PDA

View Full Version : 380 acp Hornady New Dimension die problem

hiram
04-27-2023, 09:27 PM
My 380 loads are not dropping into a case gauge. I tried to increase the crimp a little but the 'seating stem' and 'alignment sleeve' keep coming out of the die. There is a half moon retaining ring on the mouth of the die but it is not doing its job by keeping the two parts in the die.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Der Gebirgsjager
04-27-2023, 09:38 PM
I have a set of these New Dimension dies--cost me $95 as I recall, back about 18 mo. ago! I haven't had your problem though, and if I did I'd probably send the dies back to the factory. However, I do run my .380 loads through a Lee Factory Crimp die (carbide) and everything fits and functions fine.

DG

XDROB
04-27-2023, 11:31 PM
I also have those dies. Did buy them about three years ago though. No problems. I'd call Hornady. They've helped me out in the past.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-28-2023, 01:58 AM
Call Hornady. You need a new little clip/retainer.
A taper crimp die would probably do some good for ya too.

ioon44
04-28-2023, 07:49 AM
"My 380 loads are not dropping into a case gauge".

Will your loads chamber in your gun?

roysha
05-02-2023, 02:42 AM
I have no idea why the retainer clip is not doing its job unless the little nubbin of the spring clip that sticks through the die body and is supposed to retain things, is too short to do its job or the clip does not have enough tension to keep the nubbin protruding far enough through the die body.

Are you using cast or jacketed bullets?

If jacketed, I assume they are .355" diameter. You did not mention the brand of case gauge but if it is HOR, as I understand it, they are .355" so bullet diameter should not be an issue.

If they are cast, what diameter are they sized to and are you crimping into the top band or just at the start of the ogive?

My wife's EZ would not accept rounds with the bullet sized to .356" (LEE 103 gr.) if I seated to the recommended OAL. I had to throat the barrel so it would accept them.