PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmoke Theme Music

44MAG#1
04-27-2023, 11:51 AM
No doubt in my mind this has got to be one of the most heart touching theme music that has ever been.
It is all I can do is to listen to it without crying like a baby.
Imagine ole goofy 44MAG#1 with feelings.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1Ikh6-9zA

racepres
04-27-2023, 05:06 PM
^^ ?? I guess if ya grew up with it...It ain't much different from Bonanza!!! Even BatMan!!!!!

44MAG#1
04-27-2023, 05:12 PM
^^ ?? I guess if ya grew up with it...It ain't much different from Bonanza!!! Even BatMan!!!!!

I have fond memories of that show and my family and my Granddad watching it with us.
Sorry about that.

Shawlerbrook
04-27-2023, 05:43 PM
Great show that was on forever and had many different theme songs and sidekicks. That is the original and I like the old black and white early 1/2 hour shows best. Now who is your favorite sidekick....Chester, Festus, Quint, Newley ? Mine has to be Festus.

Battis
04-27-2023, 05:50 PM
Trivia: John Wayne and James Arness have (had) the same birthday - May 26. Mine, too. Great old show.

44MAG#1
04-27-2023, 05:51 PM
Great show that was on forever and had many different theme songs and sidekicks. That is the original and I like the old black and white early 1/2 hour shows best. Now who is your favorite sidekick....Chester, Festus, Quint, Newley ? Mine has to be Festus.

No doubt Festus. Ken Curtis was a great actor for him

Wheelguns 1961
04-27-2023, 06:08 PM
I like Gunsmoke, especially the earlier black and white ones. Rawhide is my favorite though. It has my favorite theme song also.

Winger Ed.
04-27-2023, 06:40 PM
I remember watching it in prime time.
In the opening, I kept waiting for the bad guy to shoot first, but he never did.

Another theme on youtube that every 10 year old kid sang all the time was 'Palidin's theme' from 'Have Gun, Will Travel'.
---A knight without armor in a savage land....

Also, 'Maverick didn't come here to lose'..........

avogunner
04-28-2023, 01:12 AM
A couple of years ago I discovered an old time radio app. I listen to all the old shows from the 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s. The westerns are my favorites, of which Gunsmoke is top! I have found I prefer the radio versions over TV (perfect for the reloading room). Oh and hands down, Bill Conrad is a better Matt Dillon.
Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawlerbrook
04-28-2023, 06:30 AM
Arvo Ojala was the man that taught Arness and many others the art of quick draw and old west gun handling. He was the guy Dillon draws against in the open. He also acted in many westerns. A very interesting fellow in his own right.

Castaway
04-28-2023, 07:03 AM
Avogunner, I’m with you. With my tinnitus, I’d always keep the TV on to drown out the ringing in my ears. Now, I’m working my way through 400 or so Gunsmoke radio episodes on YouTube.

gwpercle
04-28-2023, 01:45 PM
I'm still watching all the old "Gunsmoke" and other classic western TV shows on a channel called GRIT tv ... I spend a lot of time there .
Recently saw the first episode of " Gunsmoke" and John Wayne did a nice introduction to the series . All my life I had heard John Wayne introduced the show to the TV viewing audience at that time but had never seen it . John did a nice job ... and the rest is history .
Gary

Rapier
04-28-2023, 02:36 PM
If you have Direct TV, you can watch the INSP (inspiration) channel. It is a group of churches that put on G rated programs from the 50-60s time frame, Gunsmoke, Tales of Wells Fargo, Death Valley Days, Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train and Rawhide. they have commercials, The Western Channel has the shows on and movies without commercials.
Plan on finding out the old G rated shows now have a warning about their outdated culural charactrazations.....odd that no prosecuting of criminals is the norm in CA. So........

Wheelguns 1961
04-28-2023, 03:25 PM
I watch all of the old western shows on a channel called metv in my area. We get Gunsmoke everyday at 1:00 pm. Bonanza at 2:00pm and two episodes of the rifleman at 3:00 pm. On Saturdays, we get most wanted westerns. Maverick at 10:00 am, Wagon train next, then the Big valley, then Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rawhide, Have gun will travel, Wanted: dead or alive, and two more episodes of Rifleman. Rainy Saturdays don’t go to waste. I even eat an early dinner so I am not busy when Rawhide comes on at 3:00 pm. I guess that I lead a pretty boring life.

warren5421
04-28-2023, 05:49 PM
The Rebel staring Nick Adams as Johnny Yuma. I had to have milking out of the way so I could see the show. Liked his gun belt and holster also his double barrel cut down to pistol size.

warren5421
04-28-2023, 06:00 PM
https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

buckwheatpaul
04-28-2023, 07:24 PM
No doubt in my mind this has got to be one of the most heart touching theme music that has ever been.

Thank you so much for this post .... I grew up with it and watch it even unto today as this is much better entertainment than the junk they are passing off as entertainment this days!

sparky45
04-28-2023, 07:34 PM
If you watch and especially listen there are intros that the bad guy fires before marshal Dillon.

elmacgyver0
04-28-2023, 08:07 PM
If you watch and especially listen there are intros that the bad guy fires before marshal Dillon.

Yeh, but the marshal hits what he's shooting at.
Another tidbit: Festus in real life had one heck of a singing voice.

ulav8r
04-28-2023, 09:48 PM
He was one of "The Sons of The Pioneers".

danmat
04-28-2023, 11:48 PM
I sat on James Arness horse with him at the 1959 Houston Rodeo at the old Coliseum, I was 5 at the time.
Wife and I watch all the old western reruns.

Targa
04-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Gunsmoke was a bit before my time but I enjoy it very much. I have all the seasons and movies on DVD and watch it on TVland. TVland is a bit hard to swallow with the opening disclaimer of “This program contains outdated cultural depictions. Viewer discretion is advised” that they have to show for all the woke “Knotheads” as Festus would have called them.

gwpercle
04-29-2023, 10:16 AM
I watch all of the old western shows on a channel called metv in my area. We get Gunsmoke everyday at 1:00 pm. Bonanza at 2:00pm and two episodes of the rifleman at 3:00 pm. On Saturdays, we get most wanted westerns. Maverick at 10:00 am, Wagon train next, then the Big valley, then Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Rawhide, Have gun will travel, Wanted: dead or alive, and two more episodes of Rifleman. Rainy Saturdays don’t go to waste. I even eat an early dinner so I am not busy when Rawhide comes on at 3:00 pm. I guess that I lead a pretty boring life.

:goodpost:
Hitting LIKE Button !
Gary

Wheelguns 1961
04-29-2023, 10:19 AM
I sat on James Arness horse with him at the 1959 Houston Rodeo at the old Coliseum, I was 5 at the time.
Wife and I watch all the old western reruns.

I met Michael Landon in the mid sixties. I was 5 or 6 at the time. He was making a promotional appearance at a used car lot near my grandmother’s house. He did a gun spinning and fast draw exhibition, and then autographed pictures of himself.

Wheelguns 1961
04-29-2023, 10:22 AM
:goodpost:
Hitting LIKE Button !
Gary

Thanks!

kaiser
04-29-2023, 10:51 AM
Newly, alias Buck Taylor, used to come to Branson MO at least once per year. He is an excellent painter of cowboys and cowboy scenes, plus a gentleman of the first order. He stayed in touch with most of the characters from Gunsmoke up to their passing. He told me that James Arness had been a WWII soldier who made the Normandy landing; and once said the Sargent in charge always had him go off the landing craft first because if he sank out of sight no one else was allowed to disembark (he was always the tallest man in his platoon!). Arness was also a pilot and owned a Maule aircraft that he occasionally flew to Mexico and elsewhere to "surf". Buck appeared in various movies as "sidekicks" and other characters (eg. Tombstone, Cowboys and Aliens, etc.) into his 70's and owns a ranch in Texas where many "shoots" have been made. Buck is an interesting person whose Father (Cannon Ball Taylor) appeared in many movie pictures as well. He has always been a valued supporter of veteran affairs.

TD1886
04-29-2023, 11:52 AM
If you watch these old westerns a lot like I do you will start to recognize that they use the same horses in many of them and many of them are filmed at the same studio, that is the town settings are used among many of the different settings. They change the signs and things.

There are statistics on how many men Matt Dillion killed and how many he hit over the head with his pistol barrel. That brings me to question back in those days what were the chances of you bending your barrel at the threads? The steel used back then wasn't as tough as today's.

buckwheatpaul
04-30-2023, 07:07 AM
If you watch these old westerns a lot like I do you will start to recognize that they use the same horses in many of them and many of them are filmed at the same studio, that is the town settings are used among many of the different settings. They change the signs and things.

There are statistics on how many men Matt Dillion killed and how many he hit over the head with his pistol barrel. That brings me to question back in those days what were the chances of you bending your barrel at the threads? The steel used back then wasn't as tough as today's.

The horse that James rode was named Danny and he was also ridden by Loren Green. In fact when Gunsmoke folded Loren Green bought him and kept him for a number of years before giving Danny to a ranch that dealt with children that were challenged. Danny lived for 45 years....he was born in 1947 and lived till 1992! Most horses live only 28 to 35 years....Danny was the longest living horse that I have ever heard of!

Rapier
04-30-2023, 07:58 AM
Was at the Tulsa show when Dale Robison came by. It was funny to see this wrinkled 80 year old man and hear that Dale Robinson voice. His voice was distinctive. He was from and livd in Oklahoma.

TD1886
04-30-2023, 12:23 PM
Was at the Tulsa show when Dale Robison came by. It was funny to see this wrinkled 80 year old man and hear that Dale Robinson voice. His voice was distinctive. He was from and livd in Oklahoma.

I've gotten to really like his Tales Of Wells Fargo shows. He was a boxer before going into the service in WWII. He got wounded and that injury ruined his boxing career. I like his voice too. I've never met an "Okie" I didn't like.

Finster101
05-03-2023, 07:19 PM
I'm just curious why they all seemed to have only one set of clothes. Seems like that would get kinda' ripe on occasion.

farmbif
05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
I'm. kind of partial to the rifleman intro theme song that always started out with the rapid fire lever action. then the orchestra, horns, start playing

GregLaROCHE
05-04-2023, 05:17 AM

Thanks for bringing back some childhood memories. I’m sure that’s the first theme song I heard. My father and grandmother would watch it every week.

Alferd Packer
05-05-2023, 03:49 AM
Dale Robertson is correct spelling .
Great western speaking voice and every thing else!

bedbugbilly
05-07-2023, 08:59 AM
Fond memories of Gunsmoke and many other such shows - back when shows actually taught life lessons - right from wrong - good and evil - the Golden Rule . . . . some may think it is all hokie, but it had value - not like the WOKE crap that is on today that caters to those that can't get their face out of their cell phones and actually communicate with others and have relationships with family and friends. Seems like these days, TV shows are geared to those that have the attention span of a snail . . . .

rintinglen
05-13-2023, 03:33 PM
I'm just curious why they all seemed to have only one set of clothes. Seems like that would get kinda' ripe on occasion.

Actually, it was to save money. Because their clothes always appeared to be the same--they weren't, I've heard that Loren Greene had 12 sets of identical clothes in two different sizes--they could use stock footage without continuity concerns, saving in time on the set. When the Cartwrights ride into town, they use one of several similar cuts already filmed and in the can. Also, minor accidents were easily taken care of. If a pair of pants got torn or a shirt ripped, unless it was part of the story, they'd just run to wardrobe and put on another uniform.

Wheelguns 1961
05-13-2023, 03:58 PM
Another rainy Saturday in my parts has me watching most wanted westerns on metv. Rawhide is about to end. Next up, have gun will travel, and wanted: dead or alive.

pworley1
05-13-2023, 06:59 PM
That has always been a very relaxing piece of music.