PDA

View Full Version : New dog and DNA test.

Idaho45guy
04-25-2023, 03:49 AM
I adopted my daughter's dog about a month ago. His name is Arlo. Not named after Arlo Guthrie, but rather the main character in an animated movie, "The Good Dinosaur".

She is married with 3 boys and lives on Joint Base Lewis-McChord in the Seattle area. Her husband is an E-6 in the Air Force and is getting medically separated this summer due to back issues, joint issues, and PTSD.

They got Arlo as a pup and were told that he was Belgian Malinois and Australian shepherd and would grow to about 60 lbs. They wanted a medium-sized short hair dog with lots of energy to play with and protect the kids.

However, Arlo kept growing, and growing. They had a cat they adopted in Japan that my daughter loves dearly. Arlo began pestering the cat. It became nocturnal and started losing it's hair.

Whenever I visited, Arlo and I would have a great time. I would always bring Pokemon cards for the kids, and a piece of antler or other chew toy for Arlo.

So, when my daughter said that Arlo, now at 90 lbs, was too big for their military home and that they were going to re-home him, I had to take him.

He's very smart, very sweet, and just turned two in January.

But, he did come with some baggage. He was a Covid puppy, owned by liberals who isolated themselves on a military base.

When I brought him home to my house with a fenced in yard and doggie door access, he had no idea what to do. They kept him in a crate for much of the day and rarely took him for walks.

I work Swing shift and was nervous about leaving him home alone with full access to my house, but he has been awesome. He has learned to use the doggie door, has learned to use steps (he had never seen steps!), has never had an accident or damaged anything in my home.

I have tried to take him for a walk around town every day in order to socialize him. He is afraid/cautious of many things. Adult men make him skeptical. Adult women less so. Kids of all ages and genders are his friends. Other dogs are still a mystery. The jack Russel terrier across the street that barks at him constantly is an enemy. The Chihuahuas in outfits at the city hall where I pay my water bill are an oddity. They don't bark at him, so he sniffs them and seems confused. No aggression at all.

My parent's mule and horse are a threat and he is both afraid and hates them. He will rush the pasture fence barking furiously. I have a lot of training to do.

I have taken him on daily walks and he is doing much better. Last weekend, I took him on his first hike into the Idaho woods. Completely off leash and allowed to explore. He loved it! He stayed close by and always returned when called.

My daughter, curious as to what breed Arlo actually is, paid $80 for a DNA test on Amazon.

Turns out, he is a true mutt...

In any case, he should be a great dog. He's very smart, athletic, and curious. He just needs some education regarding the world.

Got him a new vest...

Texas by God
04-25-2023, 04:32 AM
Arlo looks like a good buddy to have around.
Mutts are the best.
They haven’t had the brains bred out of them[emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wag
04-25-2023, 07:04 AM
Great looking dog!

--Wag--

JSnover
04-25-2023, 07:14 AM
I had a dog with similar issues; afraid of most everything and just really unaware of how he should behave. I finally gave him to a friend of mine with two other dogs and he straightened right up; as if all he needed was other of his own kind to teach him the ropes.

dverna
04-25-2023, 07:15 AM
Glad to hear it is working out for everyone involved. Love dogs even though I am allergic to them. Best friend a man can have.

redhawk0
04-25-2023, 07:19 AM
There is a 3-3-3 rule....first 3 days they are pretty timid/shy getting used to their new surroundings and owners. 3 weeks they are testing boundaries and starting to warm up to you. 3 months their true personalities will come out. They are relaxing and settling in. Malinois need lots of exercise and attention. They need consistency in training. You will also find that they don't need much sleep. He may only sleep 4 hours of every day. It's just in the breed. You couldn't ask for a nicer companion. Here is my GS/Malinois mix...just 4 months old...but showing her true colors...and a joy to have around.

redhawk

Finster101
04-25-2023, 08:37 AM
Good looking dog. We have had six Belgians over the years. They are great dogs. You are doing the right thing to get him out and used to other people to socialize him. They do have a TON of energy. All of mine would do anything for a ball, far better than using food rewards. Good luck with him.

Thumbcocker
04-25-2023, 08:48 AM
Good on you for taking Arlo in. Looks like you have a buddy for years. I can't help myself. " You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."

Finster101
04-25-2023, 08:51 AM
Good on you for taking Arlo in. Looks like you have a buddy for years. I can't help myself. " You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant."

Well, you know someone had to do it. LOL

Handloader109
04-25-2023, 08:59 AM
Great looking dog. Have fun with him. Looks like he'll make a great companion. BTW, every dog is a mix. Just because someone has 'papers' saying that a dog is 100% X, means nothing. They are all a mixed breed, most of these that are 'purebred' were a blend to get to that mix. He's a good dog.

barnetmill
04-25-2023, 09:05 AM
Well the DNA says pretty much part of his mixture is likely to be malinois. I would guess he was crossed with a mixed german shepherd and it said 22% for GSD. If he is 90 lbs with that slim build, it he ever fills in he would be very heavy. When mix up dogs are bred, the size occasionally is not what you would expect.

farmbif
04-25-2023, 09:32 AM
good looking dog. hopefully he won't start going crazy when he hears a gun shot. i once had a dog that looked a bit like arlo and he would love to sit in the passenger seat and stick his head out the window when going down the road

MrWolf
04-25-2023, 09:45 AM
Good for you. He seems like a good boy. Keep walking him and getting him used to things in a no stress environment. Let him see you shoot and associate the noise with you. Both our dogs (wrote boys first) are not afraid of gunshots but yet Ruger, my Great Pyrenees in avatar, is afraid of thunder. They are all great companions. Even my gf's dog who needs a lot of training:roll:

CastingFool
04-25-2023, 05:50 PM
We rescued a puppy from the local shelter. It had been labeled as a black lab/golden retriever. We had a DNA test, and she turned to be a mutt, too. She's part of six breeds. No golden retriever at all. She's turning out to be a pretty nice dog, albeit, she can be stubborn at times.

jonp
04-25-2023, 06:23 PM
He looks every bit the bulldog part. :)

Mutts often make the best pets.

HATCH
04-25-2023, 07:34 PM
Good looking pup.

To be honest the breed doesn't matter so much.
I have had a couple pure bred labs and I have had a mixed lab.
My 1st pure was Sadie. She was the best dog I have ever had. She passed away last year. She NEVER had a accident in the house even when she was a puppy. We got her at 8 weeks. Very friendly but would go crazy when leaving the house and saw people walking.

We got a mixed lab from a rescue. Samson, he looks mostly lab but his tail has a little wiggle in it. We got him at 10 weeks and he is scared of men (besides me and my son).

My 2nd pure is Tucker. He is still a puppy but he tears up everything if left unattended. He is my walmart greeter. He will go home with anyone. He is VERY food motivated.

We got Samson to keep Sadie company.
We got Tucker because we needed something after the 2 close back to back (within 1 week) deaths of family members.
We just didn't know we needed him until we got him and we are glad we did.

Samson is 7 years old, Tucker is 6 months old.
Tucker is a lover when he isn't tearing something up.
Both dogs will sleep in the bed with me and the wife.
When the wife is working then Tucker will sleep with me for most of the night. Samson just sleeps whereever.

Enjoy your pup

BLAHUT
04-25-2023, 08:20 PM
Have patients, all is new and takes time, I have two Great Pyrenees, females, got the second one when I found out the first one was partly blind, she does not clime stairs, needs help in and out of the house, is a total lover, thinks she is a lap dog, but at 100 lbs I don't think so, she follows the young girl around and in and out of the house, around the yard, will not go out for a walk, will only walk with me in the back yard, this is what she knows, she see with her nose, every morning she has to sniff my face and a few times a day just to make Shure it is me, I would not get rid of her because of her disability's, she may not see much but her nose and hearing is fonominal, she is a wonderful guard dog, they both are, I have no fear of anyone messing with my wife. My wife only has maybe 10 lbs on either of these dogs, yet both listen to her very well and protect her, my oldest son stopped by unannounced and for whatever reason, made no noise driving in or before he walked into the house, both dogs hit him from two different sides and had him balled up in a corner, before they relised he was friend, son weights about 300lbs and was over taken by the girls, so I have no worries that someone may enter the house and mess with wife. Wife can take the younger GP for a walk with no problem, even though the dog weighs about as much as the wife.

Your dog will just need some time and love to show it how everything is and that it is all OK. Charish the wonderful animal you have..

kerplode
04-25-2023, 09:59 PM
He's very smart, very sweet, and just turned two in January.

Aw, such a good sweet boy! Give him a scratch behind the ears for me.

And thank you for adopting him and giving him a better life. It'll be some work, but it'll be worth it!

Idaho45guy
04-26-2023, 02:52 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments!

Recycled bullet
04-26-2023, 05:48 AM
I like your dog.

Texas by God
04-28-2023, 08:20 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230429/c92887fbec0e9385dc7239d0dc69b0a3.jpeg
Bring him over.
Floyd will show him where the Bully Sticks are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rapier
05-01-2023, 06:22 PM
Dogs are great, never ask much, give everything back.

Hickok
05-01-2023, 06:45 PM
He is going to be your best friend for life!

He is a handsome fella!

Buzz Krumhunger
05-01-2023, 09:14 PM
Good boy Arlo!