PDA

View Full Version : Are Chaparral Winchester 1876's any good

sfwh
04-24-2023, 01:45 PM
I have found a Chaparral Winchester 1876 for sale near me with the nicest-looking wood and finish I've ever seen on a reproduction 1876. It comes with a tang sight as well and is beautiful. I was considering buying it but then I've read online that Chaparral has quite a bad reputation but some people seem to have had good results with theirs.

I'm in the UK where they don't appear very often so was wondering if people think they're worth the money or if it's better to wait and spend more when a Uberti appears?

ATCDoktor
04-24-2023, 03:45 PM
I’ve had this one (chambered in 50/95) for about 11 years.
https://i.postimg.cc/pTJnStsX/E6F407B7-3C59-4BF8-B493-E306C4E1CBAB.jpg (https://postimages.org/)
https://i.postimg.cc/G9w8mZXF/IMG-1375.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

It’s been 100% reliable and I’ve never had an issue with it.

The trick to purchasing a “good” one is the serial number.

The higher the serial number the better quality the rifles were.

For reference mine is serial number 2100 (which I believe is near the end of the run).

veeman
04-24-2023, 04:24 PM
I asked that very same question on the 76 Forum and was told under no uncertain terms that the serial number didn't mean squat. they are either good or they are not. The good ones, like ACT's, are very good. The bad are worse than bad. Throw enough $$ at it and they can be made good, or if your lucky enough to be a machinist.,. you get the point. The only real way to know if its a good on is to try it out. Good Luck. (Even Uberti's aren't perfect)

Rockindaddy
04-24-2023, 04:32 PM
The Chaparral 1876's are quite nice. When I had an FFL, I bought five rifles of various calibers. Had two in 45-75 WCF, and three in 45-60 WCF. At the time there were no 50's offered. But the guns were a little over $500 each. I had an original 1876 in 45-75 WCF that was stripped. All I had was an action and a decent barrel. I used all the parts from the Chaparral to complete the original gun as individual parts would have cost a fortune. Minimal fitting was required to fit up the Chararral parts onto the original Winchester 76'. I sold off the barrel and receiver. Kept one of the 45-60's as a shooter. Still have it. I like the 45-60 WCF because I did not want to shoot black powder. IMR 3031 works good with 300gr jacketed boolits and 350gr cast flat points with 4759. Have yet to bang Bambi with it. The Chaparral's are made quite close to the originals complete with flat springs like the originals. Was sooooo disappointed with the Uberti 1886 I bought last year out of a small gun shop. It was slightly used. The plastic stock finish was flaking off as moisture got under the plastic crap finish. I took it apart to use stripper to remove the bad varnish stock finish. Took a good look at this rifle. Was amazed that Uberti used coil springs!!!! They shoot ok but for me, the Chaparral is a better buy and made closer to the original Winchester 1876.

veeman
04-24-2023, 05:52 PM
:grin:

Buzz Krumhunger
04-24-2023, 06:58 PM
:drinks:

Hootmix
04-24-2023, 07:04 PM
sfwh, i have owned a Chappie 76' since 2016, bought it used, fixed a couple small things (no big deal), have shot 2000+ (cast) rounds thru her (why do we name'm ?). Mine is a 40-60, but i also built a salvaged 45-60 Chappie, a good friend had to have it, (he) my friend loves to shoot it, but if the price is right i'd buy another Chapparal. If you buy it (the one in the pic) and have problems, come back here we will help you iron it out.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

elmacgyver0
04-24-2023, 07:23 PM
It’s UBERTI

Is that a problem?

indian joe
04-24-2023, 08:22 PM
I have found a Chaparral Winchester 1876 for sale near me with the nicest-looking wood and finish I've ever seen on a reproduction 1876. It comes with a tang sight as well and is beautiful. I was considering buying it but then I've read online that Chaparral has quite a bad reputation but some people seem to have had good results with theirs.

I'm in the UK where they don't appear very often so was wondering if people think they're worth the money or if it's better to wait and spend more when a Uberti appears?

check it out properly and shoot it - if the seller is honest they should let you do that
If it works properly and shoots ok - problem solved
I read that early ones had an applied fake grain finish over cheap wood? easy enough to check that out -
some fellers here have had good ones, we read about a few horrible clunkers.
A new Uberti is big money these days - what price this one in comparison?

BLAHUT
04-24-2023, 08:24 PM

I have one in 45/60, shoots real good and accurate, after you find the sweet spot, some issues, broken parts that needed to be made.

pworley1
04-24-2023, 08:41 PM
I have had a 45 75 for several years without any issues.

FergusonTO35
04-25-2023, 08:48 AM
Well, you could probably get your money back out if you didn't like it. If the bore is good, most other things can be fixed.

sfwh
04-25-2023, 09:30 AM
Thanks so much for the help everyone it sounds like there's no reason to assume it will have problems so I'll just try it out and hope for the best.

Indian Joe. It's UK pricing so may mean nothing to you but a new Uberti from the UK importer is £350 more than the one I'm looking at and that's for something with standard wood, no tang sight, no colour case hardening, no mould, no dies and no brass. The one I'm looking at has 20 Bertram brass, some bullets, a mould and some Lee dies.

Baltimoreed
04-25-2023, 09:57 AM
Bought a Chappy RNWMP 1876 carbine in 45-60 years ago. Good looking rifle but some of my cut down 45-70 brass would allow the lever to close, some would over cam and some not allow the lever to close at all. The problem was in the thickness of the case rims, oal was fine. My gunsmith cas bud checked it out and found one set of toggles were off a little. Only using one set at a time one side would chamber everything while the other side was problematic. A few minutes of fitting the too long side and all of my brass works fine.

veeman
04-25-2023, 10:05 AM
What caliber?

indian joe
04-26-2023, 03:11 AM
Thanks so much for the help everyone it sounds like there's no reason to assume it will have problems so I'll just try it out and hope for the best.

Indian Joe. It's UK pricing so may mean nothing to you but a new Uberti from the UK importer is £350 more than the one I'm looking at and that's for something with standard wood, no tang sight, no colour case hardening, no mould, no dies and no brass. The one I'm looking at has 20 Bertram brass, some bullets, a mould and some Lee dies.

Unless I forgot my numbers 350 quid is a fair bit difference - my local shop would let me try that gun - but he gets the money first so he knows the deal is on unless there is a problem he is unaware of - you could make a couple of dummies in the shop and check that it functions properly - if it does and the bore is good I say go - -- maybe I been lucky but if the action works properly and the bore is decent I've yet to see a gun that wouldnt shoot (that remark will likely get a swag of comments to the contrary)

FergusonTO35
04-26-2023, 08:40 AM
I thought Chaparral was a USA importer, I wonder how the rifle ended up over there. Would Uberti or whoever be willing to service it if needed? The various importers here will only service the guns that they brought in under their own name.

freakonaleash
04-26-2023, 09:04 AM
I thought Chaparral was a USA importer, I wonder how the rifle ended up over there. Would Uberti or whoever be willing to service it if needed? The various importers here will only service the guns that they brought in under their own name.

Uberti didn't have anything to do with those Chappys.
Here's everything you'll want to know about Chapparal 76's.
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=89.0

indian joe
04-27-2023, 12:01 AM
Uberti didn't have anything to do with those Chappys.
Here's everything you'll want to know about Chapparal 76's.
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=89.0

They made some good ones - the OP is looking at a second hand gun - its a matter of figuring out whether it is a good one or not.
I bought a Uberti 76 new - had trigger pull issues but otherwise good
A couple years later I bought a second hand '86 Chiappa - had a serious internal issue (wouldnt feed a loaded round from the magazine) ---it shot scary accurate and I figured I could fix the feed issue - so did the deal.

missionary5155
04-27-2023, 08:30 AM
We have 3 Cappi's.
The first is a 50-95 (serial 4xxx) 1876 model. Only issue was a "sloppy" loose rear ladder hinge. 12+ years with us.
Then there is a 40-60 1876 we had had for 10+ years. No issues.
Next is a 40-60 Monte. No issues.
And if you think all Winchesters or Marlins left the Factory in perfect condition then I know some well watered land for sale in Florida.........

John Taylor
04-28-2023, 02:38 PM
Several years ago a customer sent me an original 1876 that had the butt stock cut down and the barrel & mad tube missing. He basically had an action only and wanted me to put it together with a new barrel and wood. I said he might be better off buying a new rifle but he didn't want something that would be considered a "firearm". So I bought a Chiappa and took all the needed parts off it and they fit right on the original. The Chiappa and Chapparral are both made in Italy. I ended up with the new action Chiappa as the customer did not want it. After a while I made a new barrel for it and bought wood to fit. It's almost together in 45-60. I chose 45-60 because I could use cut down 45-70 brass.

Rockindaddy
04-28-2023, 06:13 PM
Hey freakonaleash: You are correct! Uberti did not have anything to do with the Chapparal's The point is that the Chapparals are better constructed than the Uberti's!! Uberti and Mikarou Winchesters have coil springs instead of flat springs like the original. I have disassembled a couple of 1876 Chapparals for parts to restore original 1876 Winchesters. Cheap parts! The Chapparals were only $500 and some change and shipping! The parts did not require much fitting. Recently bought Browning Winchester 1886 parts to restore an original 1886. Original parts are getting hard to find. I like the Chapparals. My 1876 45-60 shoots great! I pound it with both cast boolits and jacketed 300 grainers driven by a full case of IMR3031. Links are still tight!

indian joe
04-29-2023, 04:54 AM
Hey freakonaleash: You are correct! Uberti did not have anything to do with the Chapparal's The point is that the Chapparals are better constructed than the Uberti's!! Uberti and Mikarou Winchesters have coil springs instead of flat springs like the original. I have disassembled a couple of 1876 Chapparals for parts to restore original 1876 Winchesters. Cheap parts! The Chapparals were only $500 and some change and shipping! The parts did not require much fitting. Recently bought Browning Winchester 1886 parts to restore an original 1886. Original parts are getting hard to find. I like the Chapparals. My 1876 45-60 shoots great! I pound it with both cast boolits and jacketed 300 grainers driven by a full case of IMR3031. Links are still tight!

I have a Uberti 76 - NO COIL SPRINGS - I think you would get a lot of argument about the Chapparal being better constructed. (talking about 1876 copies here)

square butte
04-29-2023, 08:19 AM

The One and only Chapparal I looked at was owned by a friend - An 1876 carbine in the pattern of those used by the NWMP Mounties in 45-60. It was absolute junk and would not function or fire without much gunsmith work - Fit and finish was lousy compared to other Cimarron and Uberti lever action guns

freakonaleash
04-29-2023, 09:41 AM
I have 3 uberti 76s, none of them have coil springs.

veeman
04-29-2023, 11:47 AM
He said the coil springs were in his 86

indian joe
04-29-2023, 09:22 PM

I missed that in the translation - 'pends how we read his post I guess ........................he knew what he meant -

freakonaleash
04-30-2023, 09:31 AM
Ok, still can't find where he said it though.

veeman
04-30-2023, 10:23 AM
"Was sooooo disappointed with the Uberti 1886 I bought last year out of a small gun shop. It was slightly used. The plastic stock finish was flaking off as moisture got under the plastic crap finish. I took it apart to use stripper to remove the bad varnish stock finish. Took a good look at this rifle. Was amazed that Uberti used coil springs!!!! "

post #4

Rockindaddy
04-30-2023, 01:21 PM
Don't know anyone that doesn't like levergunz!!! Never met a levergun I didn't like.. Winchester and Marlins fill up my safes! Don't own a Henry yet. They are a bit "clunky" looking. One of these days when I grow up I might buy a Henry. Have been gathering up banged up Winchester and Marlins. Sometimes fire and flood damaged guns show up at gun shows. They don't bring a lot of money as most do not want a project. Bought this clunker barreled action at a gunshow for $300 several years ago. The barrel was very badly eroded. It was a 38-56 WCF black powder gun made in 1890 according to the serial number. Someone had disassembled it and didn't put it back together correctly. You could not work the action. Found a Miroku Winchester 86' reproduction take off barrel for $125. Of course the Miroku barrel threads are metric and instead of a 26" barrel on my project gun, I would have to rethread it. Now my barrel is around 25 1/2" Was sawing a walnut log on the farm. It had a crotch. Set the sawmill blade to 2". Ended up with some nice walnut! Made the stock up and used a Winchester 1897 butt plate. Ordered Browning Winchester 1886 parts from Numrich Parts. Needed a magazine, forend cap, screws and tenon. Pricey parts: $110 worth. Finally got the old gal put together and eyeballed the sights in place. Took it to the range and shot it at 50 yards offhand with a 385gr H&G sized to .458 with 28.5 grs of 5744 Bambi is in trouble this November! The tang sight was in my old sights junk box. It fit! Had to make a long tang screw too. Include are photos of my parts levergun.313518313519313520

veeman
04-30-2023, 02:50 PM
Never been a fan of leverguns. 8-)
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-Dhr2tlvawMSNFX4TrMAMCKr_1AnQ3pv5Eb7vbRPURMpOBvWOfR HwdGYIXAr05XCgKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656877055

Baltimoreed
04-30-2023, 03:08 PM
Veeman, you must be very well off sir. Wow. Most folks use plain old white wooden pickets on their picket fence, but you are able to afford lever action rifles. And very pretty ones too. Looks like a lot of upkeep though.:wink:

Gray Fox
04-30-2023, 03:50 PM
Where did you get the beautiful stock cuffs with bullet loops? GF

Der Gebirgsjager
04-30-2023, 04:26 PM
Never been a fan of leverguns. 8-)
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-Dhr2tlvawMSNFX4TrMAMCKr_1AnQ3pv5Eb7vbRPURMpOBvWOfR HwdGYIXAr05XCgKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656877055

I'll take No. 7 & No. 8! Oh..forgot, this isn't Swappin' & Sellin'! :mrgreen: Oh, well...starting left to right, why not tell us exactly what they are. I see that rare Winchester .22. :mrgreen:

DG

veeman
04-30-2023, 04:34 PM
They are the accumulation of 40 years of collecting. I'm nowhere near well off, what I have I've earned with hard work and saving. Most of the stock covers come from https://gunstockcover.com/

Rockindaddy
04-30-2023, 04:59 PM
Veeman: What a nice collection! You probably have a real dilemma when going shooting! Have to carry around a quarter to flip to see which one to take. I like the stock cuff's! Have extra ammo right at hand. I need one of those leather cuff's especially on my little Rossi 92' stainless 44 Mag carbine that I carry on my quad 4-wheeler around the farm trails. Have shot a nice 9 point buck with it but the little x*f&? really bites my shoulder! The steel buttplate is not forgiving when shooting 23 grs of WW296 and a 240gr boolit. Thanks for the leather website.

veeman
04-30-2023, 05:18 PM
Unless your going to be hunting with it, it's not worth it to have the loops. I thought it would be cool to have them, but, being from Illinois, can't really use them, and they take up alot of space in the cabinet. I got the shotgun conversion, I like the extra LOP it gives, and helps tame the recoil a bit.

Rockindaddy
04-30-2023, 05:26 PM
John Taylor: You also used a reproduction Chiappa to restore an original Winchester 1876. I think the Chiappa repro rifles are quite good. That's what sfwh was initally asking if there was anyone on this site who knew anything about the Chiappa's. My 45-60 WCF Chiappa is still working good after quite o few rounds have been put through it. I have always used cut down 45-70's It is not on purpose but never fail the mouth of the empty 45-70 cases crashes into the sizing/decapping die. Wrinkle case results. I load 45-70's on a Dillon Super 1050 for a couple of Gatling Guns. Have a good amount of wrinkle mouth cases go to the Forester trimmer and on to the 45-60 load bench. My Chiappa is always happy as I have plenty of cut down cases.

veeman
04-30-2023, 05:42 PM
When did Chiappa make a 76? I'm only aware of Uberti and chaparral.

Rockindaddy
04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
More pickets: just Winchesters!313535

gc45
04-30-2023, 07:14 PM
I feel lucky in having many original levers all Winchester pre-98's too, but it's taken me my lifetime in getting them. Both my Shooting friends bought Uberti's 76 in 50-95 maybe 5 yrs ago or more now; what a great shooters they are! very accurate and as close to my three Winchester 76's mechanically as can be! We both like the old winchesters better but at the prices they bring now, I too would own a rifle like there's.

indian joe
05-01-2023, 02:30 AM
When did Chiappa make a 76? I'm only aware of Uberti and chaparral.

yeah if its a chiappa its an 86 or 92
chapparal is the 76
could easy be they came from the same factory or company changed names to shake a bad reputation ??

I bought a Chiappa 86 second hand - it had a serious feed issue (wouldnt feed) but I had a Browning 71 as a reference for the fix - I loaded 10 duplex blackpowder rounds - fired em single shot - target impressed me so I declared it a keeper and went to work on it. Could have cured the problem by turning down the case rims (thats just dawned on me now) but I'd rather it works how its sposed to. Took some work and test fitting but I am no longer scared of taking a screwdriver to an 86. As good as this gun is I much prefer the 1876 action and the Pedersoli barrel in that Uberti is the best.