PDA

View Full Version : Best Bluing Shop Recommendations

lawdog941
04-24-2023, 09:29 AM
I have inherited a Winchester 1897 from my wife's Great Grandfather that he purchased in 1908. It has a 28 inch (from muzzle to breach, so maybe 26?) modified barrel and is a takedown. All of the bluing is gone or about 90% gone. I have a dilemma in that I respect the condition it is in, but would like to give it an updated look, ie bluing. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas. I don't intend to use it unless Armageddon strikes, but want to mitigate maintenance intervals with protected metal. Thanks for any advice.

Mike

375RUGER
04-24-2023, 01:01 PM
Tim can blue.
https://mbtcustom.square.site/

Shawlerbrook
04-24-2023, 04:06 PM
Turnbull does great bluing and restorations .

15meter
05-17-2023, 11:33 PM
I've used Dick Williams in Saginaw Michigan, they are reasonable in pricing. I've had several vintage 22's done and have been happy with their work. They currently have a 1936 vintage Model 12 in 16 gauge of mine for reblue and retiming-it had the potential to fire out of battery, not a good thing.

This is NOT Williams Gunsite in Davidson, Michigan.

This is not Turnbull quality, but it is quite serviceable.

imashooter2
05-18-2023, 12:24 AM
Counterpoint… It took 115 years and the hands of generations to make that rifle. Don’t make irreversible changes lightly. My advice is to buy some Renaissance Wax and display your heirloom proudly.

lawdog941
05-18-2023, 04:33 PM
I haven't done anything other than detailing. Currently in the safe and protected. It's action is a little rough, but it has only one action bar. So for its time must have been a great gun. Thanks for everyone's input.

15meter
08-02-2023, 04:29 PM
I've used Dick Williams in Saginaw Michigan, they are reasonable in pricing. I've had several vintage 22's done and have been happy with their work. They currently have a 1936 vintage Model 12 in 16 gauge of mine for reblue and retiming-it had the potential to fire out of battery, not a good thing.

This is NOT Williams Gunsite in Davidson, Michigan.

This is not Turnbull quality, but it is quite serviceable.

Got the 16 gauge Model 12 back, they did a great job on it.

Glad I did it. Made an old worn gun look almost new. It's not a collectable shotgun, already have turned down considerably more than what I've got invested in it by a guy who knows it was re-blued.

Now I just have to figure out how to shoot it. I have a 12 gauge Model 12 that I shoot high 30's to low 40's on sporting clays, the 16, best so far is high 20's. Skeet scores are abysmal.

Funky
08-04-2023, 07:08 AM
15meter, Glad to know about Mr. Williams in Saginaw, have a 16 gauge Model 12 that Mr. Wright of Wrights Gun Shop in Ill. rebuilt and had to reblue[ he told me that he had never seen a firearm in that bad of shape] When I called him after he had done the job, his widow said that he had passed away, I didn't know who is a good smith for the Model 12s anymore, being in Saginaw, that is withen driving distance. But I don't foresee having to do any work on it, after he rebuilt it, the shotgun runs like a champ. Good Luck Chris

centershot
08-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Turnbull does great bluing and restorations .

Yes they do, and when they're finished with it, it will look and function just as it did the day that Winchester made it! They do outstanding work!

centershot
08-04-2023, 04:01 PM
Counterpoint… It took 115 years and the hands of generations to make that rifle. Don’t make irreversible changes lightly. My advice is to buy some Renaissance Wax and display your heirloom proudly.

And this is the other side of the coin; All those years of loving use and care are reflected in the appearance of that gun. Someone carried it through the woods, used it to bag game, and took care of it for 100+ years.

I had a similar decision to make a couple of years ago. I was offered an Ithaca Flues model 12 ga. SxS by a friend who had inherited it from his wife's family. Made in 1915, the receiver was devoid of the beautiful case-hardening colors it once had. The barrel set was 90% devoid of blue, a mottled gray taking it's place. The stock finish was in similar condition and I was seriously considering having it professionally restored (Turnbull is only 2 hours away!). Mechanically, it locked up tight as a bank vault. And it fit me! At last, I had the Ithaca I'd wanted for so long! And as I looked at it in my hands for the thousandth time, turning it over and over, I knew I couldn't do anything to change it's appearance, every scratch, every worn spot in the finish was the result of someone using it to pursue a sport that they loved - and to this day, that's what I do with it too!