PDA

View Full Version : matching load data to commercial cast boolits

ChemGeek
04-23-2023, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

New member here and this is my first post.

I'm just getting into reloading. I'm interested in making some revolver ammunition using cast lead boolits from commercial sources (maybe someday in the future, I'll get into making my own). I'm looking to start with 38 special and 44 special for my S&W 66 and 29. I'm wanting to make rounds for target shooting and the much lower price of cast lead projectiles got my attention.

I have the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition. I'm not sure how to cross-reference loads for commercial cast boolits to those broken down by mold in this book. According to some videos and reading, it sounds like looking for boolits with a similar "bearing surface" is a way to attack this, but I don't know how to quantify the bearing surface, or how to account for pressure differences even then.

As one example, I'm looking at this SWC from Missouri Bullet for 38 special:

https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=52&category=5&secondary=9&keywords=

Page 256 of the Lyman guide shows load data for their 158 grain flat nose mold. They also have data for a 155 grain GC SWC, but that's 3 grains lighter than the boolit I'm looking at.

Is it safe to use the 158 grain flat nose bullet data from Lyman for the SWC boolit from Missouri Bullet? How sensitive are loads to the bullet weight, i.e. is that 3 grains of difference enough that I should not use the data for the 155 grain SWC? Finally, are there other reliable sources of load data for commercial cast lead boolits?

Thank you

Misery-Whip
04-23-2023, 09:46 PM
Welcome,

You are starting with large cases, so there is some forgiveness there. Short answer is yes you can substitute 158gr cast data with other same weight bullets. Providing your NOT in the +P section. But you need to start at the LOWER end of the data and work up carefully each and every time something changes. Different bullet, different can of powder, different brand of primer. I stay away from data that doesnt have minimum charges listed. And its good practice to compare data from different sources.

But there is other data available to get you closer yet. Buying dies from Lee Precision will come with several loads. And Hodgdon online is another excellent resource, but doesnt show lead data for every caliber.

In the back of your Lyman book, there is a burn rate chart, Id suggest starting on the slower side of the data. Slower powders are bulkier, so less chance of a double charge, and usually a larger tolerance.

My last chunk of wisdom for a beginner or the master is to look into EVERY case before the the bullet is seated and visually confirm the powder looks at the correct level.

Midway usa , Cabelas and others sell a book by caliber of loading data. They used to be about $12. Has data from most powder companies and bullet companies.

If in doubt call or email the bullet manufacturer.

Hick
04-23-2023, 09:53 PM
All the answers above are excellent so you should be able to get off to a good start. If you are wondering how you can look in the cases to see if the load looks right, what many of us do is put powder in a whole batch of cases in a loading block (I do 50 at a time). Then, if you shine a flashlight down in the 50 cases they should all look the same. Watch for one that seems to have a much different powder level-- that will be the one to re-check.

metricmonkeywrench
04-24-2023, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Just to add to the excellent advice above, the thing to keep in mind is that there are variations to everything, you can drive yourself batty focusing on just one or a few. Bearing surface is important but that data is based on that lead at that time temp etc. The variation in lots of lead, bullet sizing, powder lots, primers even your cylinder, barrel gap, bore condition and size and more are all factors in producing ammo for your use and all change over time.

The key piece for reloading is to control the variables that you can effect as much as possible and develop a consistent process for each step. Some examples are: Brass is retained in lots and prepped the same manor each time, unless proven otherwise bullets get grouped by weight with your tolerance (i use +/- 1g or so), this is where casting your own becomes helpful anything too heavy (uneven alloy mix) or too light (inclusions or internal voids) can go back into the pot and recast. Many have a single size die in use per caliber and multiple seating dies for each bullet adjusted to get the settings they want. Investing in a chronograph is usually recommended to confirm what you consistency looks like.

Reloading is as simple or as hard as you want to make it, If you want ammo that goes pop and makes holes in the target or tuned ammo loads for your guns the process remains relatively the same its just the attention to the details that makes the difference. Casting your own just places some more of the variables under your control.

Soundguy
04-24-2023, 08:10 AM
Choose bullets with the data available in mind.

For lead, lead pressure and velocities..as long as you start low and work up..you can substitute same weight cast data for different bullet profiles. Ie.. 158gr lswc vs 158gr lrn.

Start low, work up. Keep in mind the bhn. Some cast data specs as high as Lyman #2 for handgun..which is likely overkill for most non magnum loads.

Lakehouse2012
04-24-2023, 12:48 PM
All above is spot on!

Be aware that manufacturers of commercially made "hard cast" aren't necessarily all the same.

That said, wherever you start with, keep your velocities down. While lead can have great ability to maintain a lead-free bore, it will have limits depending on powder burn rate, charge amount, projectile shape and lead hardness.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Frank V
04-24-2023, 01:17 PM
ChemGeek, welcome to the forum! The .38 Special & .44 special are two of my favorite handgun calibers. For light fun loads you might try Trail Boss powder, it will almost fill the case & give medium velocities.

Soundguy
04-24-2023, 03:16 PM
If going for economy, bullseye and tightgroup will give you the most trigger pulls per pound. In large roomy near empty cases I much prefer tightgroup over bullseye. Tightgroup is not position sensitive.

ChemGeek
04-25-2023, 11:53 AM
Thank all for your advice!

Misery-Whip: One follow-up question: you mentioned working up for each different can of powder - do you mean, when the can runs out and I get a new one of the same type, re-work up? Or if I'm trying different types to work up from the minimum?

Hick: those are clear instructions, thanks

metricmonkeywrench: Yes, I have a propensity to driving myself batty (to the point of beating a dead horse) with details in other things I do. When you sort your brass by lots, is it by headstamp, or do you keep it together literally by lot (putting all cases back in the box they came from if you're reloading manufactured rounds)?

Frank V and Soundguy, thanks for powder suggestions.

For those who mentioned pressure and velocity, I've gone down the rabbit hole starting from the equation that links BHN to chamber pressure (on Missouri Bullets website, and in Lee's book). Disappointingly, the load data I've looked at so far lists pressure in CUPS, not PSI, so I put that approach aside (another topic for another day) and figured that if I go for "target-ish" velocities (I don't know - maybe around 800 or so fps?) that hopefully I can get away with BHN around 12. Does that sound reasonable?

jdgabbard
04-25-2023, 12:32 PM
Something else, generally the data for jacketed loads will be lower pressure when used with lead. This doesn't necessarily mean the data is accurate. Just that it can give you a ballpark (at least in pistol rounds) to what should be a safe loading. Most of the time it shouldn't be an issue finding load data for a similar boolit. But it may be difficult to find load data for a similar boolit with the powder you want to use. You can work up loads this way by basing it on the lower end of the jacketed data (usually -10%). That gives you a decent margin for error. I've worked up a lot of loads this way, particularly with powders that aren't mentioned in the manuals for the given lead boolit weight I am using.

This doesn't really apply to rifle loads in many cases, as we're talking vastly different velocities most of the time. Though there are some on here who have been able to achieve jacketed velocities out of lead boolits when PCing and using Gaschecks.

As always, err on the side of caution when working up loads like this.