PDA

View Full Version : .36 Molds

Good Cheer
04-19-2023, 09:53 AM
Starting to think about a rifle to use nominally .36 caliber molds, like you'd use in .38 Specials, .35 Remingtons and .358 Winchesters. There are lots of molds available. It's a nice diameter for a one inch across the flats barrel. And besides, I've got all these molds that could be used!:-P

Anyone here shooting a .36 with maybe a Lee, Lyman or RCBS 200 grainer? Or maybe 250 or 280 grains?

Jungle Dave
04-19-2023, 10:43 AM
It would need a pretty fast twist for the heavier ones, and the rifling would need to engrave those on the way down, unless you used some form of, I hate to say the word...sabo..t...., in which case, you would need a larger bore to incorporate it, or maybe if they were made into a hollow-base minie', and then there would be fear of driving them too fast and flaring the skirt. Lots of things to ponder with all of that, and if it was feasible, many would already be doing it. :coffeecom

Good Cheer
04-20-2023, 09:24 AM
I'll be sure and tell my other fast twist muzzleloaders that they aren't feasible.

Jungle Dave
04-20-2023, 11:01 AM
I'll be sure and tell my other fast twist muzzleloaders that they aren't feasible.

In no way was it my intention to offend them, and if I have done so, then I truly apologize. Perhaps if you could explain how this works, as I am honestly very curious to know.

Good Cheer
04-21-2023, 06:33 PM
With sufficient bullet weight and sufficient force from behind the bullets expand into the rifling.

charlie b
04-21-2023, 08:30 PM
My ML bullets are all slip fit in the bore. Add powder, card wad, lubed felt wad. Bullet is placed in bore and the weight of the rod is enough to seat the bullet. Yes, if you tip the muzzle down and tap on the rifle the bullet may move away from the charge.

The bullet is made of soft alloy, 1-40 or so, although in some cases 1-20 might work (with a big enough charge). The heavy charges used (80-100gn) and heavy bullets (~400gn or more) combine to make this work. The force of the chamber pressure against a heavy projectile is enough to force the bullet to expand. When it does so, the bullet seals the bore and engages the rifling.

The bullet can be grooved and lubed or paper patched.

These are used in some very accurate ML rifles.

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

StrawHat
04-21-2023, 09:03 PM
Starting to think about a rifle to use nominally .36 caliber molds, like you'd use in .38 Specials, .35 Remingtons and .358 Winchesters. There are lots of molds available. It's a nice diameter for a one inch across the flats barrel. And besides, I've got all these molds that could be used!:-P

Anyone here shooting a .36 with maybe a Lee, Lyman or RCBS 200 grainer? Or maybe 250 or 280 grains?

Who makes a .358 barrel?

Kevin

Gtrubicon
04-21-2023, 11:00 PM
Who makes a .358 barrel?

Kevin

No one I’m aware of. But you would think someone would. There are a lot of .358 choices out there. Would be fun to have a barrel to run them through.

04-22-2023, 06:42 AM
I like the idea. I have a ton of ".358's" and their use in a ML would be fun. It would have to be a drop in for a T/C kind of deal for me. To contemplate a new ML is off my budget.

Good Cheer
04-22-2023, 01:50 PM
I have a spare lefthand TC New Englander barrel and a lefthand Lyman GPH. Either might work.

LAGS
04-22-2023, 02:14 PM
I think that if you have a barrel in bad shape.
You can probably have it Re Lined down to .358 by Hoyt.
That might be cheaper and faster than trying to find a .358 barrel.
Especially a new one.