PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet lubricants

facetious
04-18-2023, 01:31 AM
https://castbulletassoc.org/uploads/newpdf/cblube2016.pdf

Came across this while surfing around. Just thought that someone mite find it interesting.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-18-2023, 04:20 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

BA

murf205
04-19-2023, 05:26 PM
That's a LOT of different formulas, thanks facetious. This would make a great sticky for all the makers of their own lube.

Maven
04-19-2023, 06:49 PM
Ralph Schneider's compendium of bullet lubes is an excellent reference or recipe booklet if you wish to "roll your own."

243winxb
04-20-2023, 08:21 AM
Starts with outdated info.
Alox-Beeswax — Often referred to as the NRA formula: Alox 2138F is long gone. Nothing good has replaced it. Imo.

gwpercle
04-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Starts with outdated info. Alox 2138F is long gone. Nothing good has replaced it. Imo.

Try 1 part Lithium Grease (like Lucas Red-N-Tacky) with 3 parts Beeswax .
Commercially known as Lithi-Bee ... when the original Alox 2138F was dropped , the maker I was buying lube from (Garth Choate) told me the Lithium Beeswax was a better lube than any replcement Alox he could find ... He wasn't happy with any of the "new" Aloxes for the old 50/50 lube and wasn't happy with the lube it made but he thought the lithi-bee was just as good if not better . He told me to try the Lithium Beeswax and if I didn't like it ... I didn't have to pay for it. I tried it , liked it and been making my own since he went out of the lube making business and I can't find anyone selling it .
I keep coming back to this lube because it keeps the lead out ... plain and simple ... it works !
Gary

trapper9260
04-25-2023, 04:46 AM
I might of missed it , I do not see of the old NRA bullet lube with ATF.

cowboy4evr
04-26-2023, 02:16 PM
Gary , was that " one part " this and " one part that " by volume or weight ? Regards Paul

schutzen-jager
04-26-2023, 03:30 PM
link not working -

pworley1
04-26-2023, 04:07 PM
I have never been able to make a good lube as cheap as I can buy White Label.

gwpercle
04-26-2023, 07:40 PM
Gary , was that " one part " this and " one part that " by volume or weight ? Regards Paul

Garth said they used to make it with 8 pounds Lithium Grease and 24 pounds Beeswax ... so I take that to mean Weight ... I use 1 pound Lithium Grease and 3 pounds Beeswax .

To be honest ... the density / weight of the Lithium Grease seems to be about or near the same as Beeswax and more than likely - 1 cup Lithium + 3 cups melted Beeswax would give the correct proportions ... next time I'm making some I will weigh a cup of grease and a cup of beeswax and see if that pans out . For the record just use pound measure in weight !

Also If you want a little harder lube add "some" Gulf Wax paraffin wax to harden ... but he didn't say how much paraffin .
Although this a soft lube I have always used it with no paraffin and prefer soft .

Gary

Good Cheer
04-27-2023, 11:26 AM
Yeah, drats, the link aint working. I'm always happy to find more literature, formulas and info.